Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deceiving the Needle

Deceiving the Needle

Suppose this situation:

I'm playing some sort of stax or whatever, with a Sylvan Library out. Specifically, a 5th Sylvan Library. My opponent plays a Pithing Needle, it resolves, he names Sylvan Library, I say "OK."

Did I do anything wrong? He did not ask if it worked or if it was an activated ability. I did not lie or provide false information of any kind.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Re: Deceiving the Needle

Nope, not your fault. Had he asked for clarification then yes. However, your opponent should be knowledgeable, and if he doesn't know, that's his problem. It's unfortunate, but it's the rules.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

A player can always ask for the current oracle wording of a card from a judge.

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

What if my opponent asks "Can I needle your Lightning Rift?" ?

I mean, technically you can choose any card with needle, it sometimes just won't have an effect. May I say "Sure, you can", or do I have to explain the difference between activated and trigggered abilities to him?
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

That is a good question. I guess you could technically get away with saying "yes you can target it". It would probably be considered as a shady move on your part considering if he is asking it is probably a noob. Then again they need to learn somehow.
    I think RickRolling is still teh funny.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin07 View Post
    What if my opponent asks "Can I needle your Lightning Rift?" ?

I mean, technically you can choose any card with needle, it sometimes just won't have an effect. May I say "Sure, you can", or do I have to explain the difference between activated and trigggered abilities to him?
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG.COM

Statements made about the game being played must be truthful (to the best of their knowledge). However, statements do not need to be exhaustive – honest answers with careful omissions or "non-answers" designed to misdirect opponents into making suboptimal – but not illegal – plays are acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MTG.com
    honest answers with careful omissions or "non-answers" designed to misdirect opponents into making suboptimal – but not illegal – plays are acceptable.
    Thats kinda cool, they left this built in. Lets more knowledgable players have an edge...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul Kamadaka View Post
    Suppose this situation:

I'm playing some sort of stax or whatever, with a Sylvan Library out. Specifically, a 5th Sylvan Library. My opponent plays a Pithing Needle, it resolves, he names Sylvan Library, I say "OK."

Did I do anything wrong? He did not ask if it worked or if it was an activated ability. I did not lie or provide false information of any kind.
    This is why I've been playing 5th Edition Sylvan Library in Sun Tower for a few months now. People do stupid shit sometimes without thinking. I consider this equal to people naming my LEDs when I'm playing combo.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Excellent, I love borderline illegal plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    I consider this equal to people naming my LEDs when I'm playing combo.
    I've had a number of people try to tap my LED before comboing. Never gets old.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by APriestOfGix View Post
    Thats kinda cool, they left this built in. Lets more knowledgable players have an edge...
    I think they actually recently added it.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin07 View Post
    What if my opponent asks "Can I needle your Lightning Rift?"
    In a tournament, my answer would be "Yes, as Needle comes into play, you may name Lightning Rift."
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Bryant Cook

Excellent, I love borderline illegal plays.I've had a number of people try to tap my LED before comboing. Never gets old.
    <3 Tanglewire.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Another great thing is when you work it the other way around, too. Maverick676 always tells me about the game he won by playing Needle and naming Krosan Reclamation. Apparently his opp didn't think he could play the flashback and decked because of it.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Another great thing is when you work it the other way around, too. Maverick676 always tells me about the game he won by playing Needle and naming Krosan Reclamation. Apparently his opp didn't think he could play the flashback and decked because of it.
    If I've got no other outs, I'll do this. I used to do it when playing Angel Stompy. I once dropped a Needle on LED, and my opponent scooped :)

This is why I've been playing 5th Edition Sylvan Library in Sun Tower for a few months now. People do stupid shit sometimes without thinking. I consider this equal to people naming my LEDs when I'm playing combo.
    They should introduce some sort of rule, which would oblige players to inform their opponents if the card text has been modified. What the heck, are we supposed to learn by hearth every errata ever printed ? Or perhaps am I supposed to ask my opponent, whenever he plays a card, 'is this card printed text up to date?'.

Knowing the rules, such as differences between triggered and activated abilities, is one thing. Asking players to know errata for every single card is something totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by crow_mw View Post
    Asking players to know errata for every single card is something totally different.
    Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    A player can always ask for the current oracle wording of a card from a judge.
    The main difficulty seems to be determining if the card has been reworded.

Quote Originally Posted by crow_mw View Post
    They should introduce some sort of rule, which would oblige players to inform their opponents if the card text has been modified. What the heck, are we supposed to learn by hearth every errata ever printed ? Or perhaps am I supposed to ask my opponent, whenever he plays a card, 'is this card printed text up to date?'.
    How about a rule forcing ignorant opponents to concede before they accidentally topdeck the nuts to beat me? That'd be a much more fun rule. How hard is it to notice a major templating issue and inquire what the card's wording is? If I notice something like a 5th Sylvan Library I do ask if the printed card is up to date and usually before I get a response I call a judge. Then we chat about it as the judge comes over to confirm.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

The main difficulty seems to be determining if the card has been reworded.

Uh... not for a judge. They usually go to gatherer (or hop on their PDA) and get the current oracle wording. Players should always call for a judge when they aren't sure what a cards current oracle wording is. Players that don't make misplays when the information is readily available to them. That's just bad on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    Uh... not for a judge. They usually go to gatherer (or hop on their PDA) and get the current oracle wording. Players should always call for a judge when they aren't sure what a cards current oracle wording is. Players that don't make misplays when the information is readily available to them. That's just bad on their part.
    I mean on the player's behalf. It can be hard to tell with their inconsistent errata policy.

Deliberately playing cards with misleading text to create advantage falls under Unsporting Conduct.

Deliberately misrepresenting what a card in play does is Cheating.

I would personally recommend just be being sporting and telling your opponent what the updated card text does. Is the advantage you may or may not gain worth exposing yourself to penalties?

You are free not to, but it's a narrow line to walk and if you cross it you're in trouble.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information