Thread: fetch and wasteland

fetch and wasteland

my opponent try to fetch, can i respond with wasting his fetch ?
    cause well, someone done my this, and i believe this is technicaly possible, and another one on the net say to me that i doesn't work.
    so, who's right ?

Holo.

Re: fetch and wasteland

If i understand correctly, you have a wasteland, your opponent, who also has a fetch, tries to wasteland it. When he activates his wasteland targeting yours, you can, once he's passed priority, target his fetchland with your wasteland.

I don't know why you would do this though...except if he was at 1 life.

no, i got a wasteland, opponent got a fetch
    he try to fetc, can i waste his fetch so that i doesn't get a land ?

Holo.

So that he doesn't get a land, no you can't. You can't even target the fetch with your wasteland because he's already sacrificed it.

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

No, because sacrificing the fethcland is part of the activations. So basically, your opponent would tap it, pay 1 life, and then sacrifice it. There would be no time in there for you to Wasteland it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Also, if you Wasteland first they can fetch in response.

So basically you can't ever Wasteland an untapped Fetch unless your opponent is really dumb.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Also, if you Wasteland first they can fetch in response.

So basically you can't ever Wasteland an untapped Fetch unless your opponent is really dumb.
    Unless they can't pay for suppression field, or City of Solitude is on the table.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    Unless they can't pay for suppression field, or City of Solitude is on the table.
    Or you've resolved Abeyance,or have a Needle naming that fetch, etc., etc. I suppose I should say that if your opponent has an untapped fetch and there's nothing keeping him from activating it, you're never going to be able to Wasteland it unless they're dumb.

And they would probably just fetch in response to Abeyance.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Fetching in responce to Geddon/Cataclysm would be futile as the lands they fetch for would CIP before those spells resolved thus destroying the fetched lands as well, yes?

Also, can Fetches be activated at instant speed? Like say durring a combat exchange where a Goyf is involved thus giving him a the +1/+1? OR say you tap them durring their upkeep with a Port, can they still be activated in responce?

Never played with/against Fetches before, so if those questions seems ridiculously stupid, my bad.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Fetching in responce to Geddon/Cataclysm would be futile as the lands they fetch for would CIP before those spells resolved thus destroying the fetched lands as well, yes?

Also, can Fetches be activated at instant speed? Like say durring a combat exchange where a Goyf is involved thus giving him a the +1/+1? OR say you tap them durring their upkeep with a Port, can they still be activated in responce?

Never played with/against Fetches before, so if those questions seems ridiculously stupid, my bad.
    Yes, fetching in response to mass LD is pointless (unless, for some reason, you want to thin your deck of lands, and are willing to pay a life to do it... which usually isn't something you want to do after a Geddon, because you need to rebuild, but you might Fetch and fail to find if, for instance, the top 2/3 cards are not land)

Yes, Fetchlands can be activated whenever you have priority. I'm not sure what would make you think anything different. There's no "Play this ability any time you could play a Sorcery" clause on them. Whenever you have priority (i.e. could play an Instant spell or a creature with Flash) you can use their ability.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

I guess it was the fact that the land was coming into play that made me want to question it. It seems unnatural to "play" a land at instant speed, but as with Vial and the creature, you aren't playing it, it is coming into play.

I'm still relearning. Lot's of new rules and cards from the past 8 years all jammed into 3 months. It's hard to keep them all cohesive. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for clarifying.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    I'm still relearning. Lot's of new rules and cards from the past 8 years all jammed into 3 months. It's hard to keep them all cohesive. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks for clarifying.
    No problem! We're all glad to help (it makes us feel smart.)

ok, thanks all, next time i won't feel dumb when my opponent say it work.
    lock this thread if you wnated to.

Holo.

Thread Information