Thread: Stifle vs. Storm

Dec 2007
    Ogdensburg New York

Stifle vs. Storm

I have a question does stifle stop storm counts thanks.

Bryant Cook

Re: Stifle vs. Storm

Quote Originally Posted by StarHawk View Post
    I have a question does stifle stop storm counts thanks.
    Yes.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Link

Quote Originally Posted by Starcitygames "Ask the Judge"
    Q: Can Stifle stop a card from copying itself by Storm? The rules say that storm is a triggered ability, but by the time you play the card with Storm, aren't the copies on the stack already and the point is moot?

A: The Storm ability goes on the stack on top of the original spell. When it resolves, you put the appropriate number of spell copies on the stack. If you counter the original triggered ability, no copies will be produced.
    So yes, Stifle will stop storm counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Comp. Rules
    502.30a - Storm is a triggered ability that functions while the spell is on the stack.
    502.30.Ruling.5 - Countering the original spell will not stop the copies from being created.
    Storm is a triggered ability that puts copies of the spell directly onto the stack. If you stifle the storm trigger, no copies will be added to the stack but the original spell will still be there.
    As an aside (some people don't know this), you can also counter the individual copies created by the storm trigger just like normal spells.

got a question that kinda goes with this. what if u dont have a stifle? and you have 3 counterspells and can play them. will the storm card get played and you counter it. will that counterspell go to the count. if not say the count is 3, can i counter all 3 or will the count just go up with each counter?

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Didn't we have one these last week that got answered in similar fashion and then locked?

Perhaps this should be sticked (rather a different topic with just the ruling, maybe even a "What Stifle Works Against" thread) for the new players....

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by blac198990 View Post
    got a question that kinda goes with this. what if u dont have a stifle? and you have 3 counterspells and can play them. will the storm card get played and you counter it. will that counterspell go to the count. if not say the count is 3, can i counter all 3 or will the count just go up with each counter?
    Just to get it clear.

Let's say, your opponent has just played Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Tendrils of Agony -> Stormcount 3.

This means that when Tendrils is played, 2 copies of it are put on the stack on top of the original, then your opponent gets priority. Then, if he passes, you are free to counter each single copy with one of your 3 Counterspells. These Counterspells do not raise the Stormcount, because the Storm-trigger has already resolved.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin07 View Post
    Just to get it clear.

Let's say, your opponent has just played Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Tendrils of Agony -> Stormcount 3.

This means that when Tendrils is played, 2 copies of it are put on the stack on top of the original, then your opponent gets priority. Then, if he passes, you are free to counter each single copy with one of your 3 Counterspells. These Counterspells do not raise the Stormcount, because the Storm-trigger has already resolved.
    Not exactly. When Tendrils is played a storm trigger goes on the stack and then you get priority. This is where you could play stifle to stop the trigger from resolving. If there are copies on the stack that means the storm trigger has already resolved.

So the stack would look like this:
    (top)
    storm trigger
    tendrills
    (bottom)

-you get priority, pass back...new stack:
    (top)
    copy
    copy
    tendrils
    (bottom)

Now you get priority again and can counter the individual copies.
    they haunt minds...

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    Not exactly. When Tendrils is played a storm trigger goes on the stack and then you get priority. This is where you could play stifle to stop the trigger from resolving.
    Yes, of course. I simply took a shortcut to demonstrate when to play the counters in case you don't have Stifle.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin07 View Post
    These Counterspells do not raise the Stormcount, because the Storm-trigger has already resolved.
    Not entirely true. They still raise the Storm count, but that doesn't change the already resolved Storm trigger. If a new Storm spell is cast this turn, it will have a higher Storm count.

Quote Originally Posted by Der_imaginäre_Freund View Post
    Link
    Storm is a triggered ability that puts copies of the spell directly onto the stack. If you stifle the storm trigger, no copies will be added to the stack but the original spell will still be there.
    As an aside (some people don't know this), you can also counter the individual copies created by the storm trigger just like normal spells.
    So if I have Counterbalance in play and the appropriate CMC spell on top of my library I can stop all copies of a Storm spell assuming I can stop the first?

Each copy of the spell resolves individually and Counterbalance can be activated for each of them?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    So if I have Counterbalance in play and the appropriate CMC spell on top of my library I can stop all copies of a Storm spell assuming I can stop the first?

Each copy of the spell resolves individually and Counterbalance can be activated for each of them?
    No. Counterbalance's ability, like Chalice of the Void's, is triggered, and it triggers when an opponent plays a spell.

Therefore, only the original Storm spell will trigger Counterbalance and (possibly) get countered. The other copies are put on the stack, not played, and thus circumvent the enchantment.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    No. Counterbalance's ability, like Chalice of the Void's, is triggered, and it triggers when an opponent plays a spell.

Therefore, only the original Storm spell will trigger Counterbalance and (possibly) get countered. The other copies are put on the stack, not played, and thus circumvent the enchantment.
    That's a relief. I had visions of Legacy becoming Counterbalance+.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Because Counterbalance would really stop Tendrils or Empty the Warrens anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    Because Counterbalance would really stop Tendrils or Empty the Warrens anyways...
    Well, only if you have Moat in your deck and Enlightened Tutors to pull it top when you need it. Zvi really does have a clue with that build. I guess the only 4cc killers he was planning to stop were IGG and Armageddon but there are a bunch of rogue 4cc spells that would absolutely destroy a control shell that was unfortunate enough to run into them without FoW in hand.

Thread Information