Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Hybrid View

emidln's tendrils lists

This archetype is extremely customizable. The basic requirements are blue/black fetchlands, brainstorm, dark ritual, lion's eye diamond, and tendrils of agony. Everything else is basically up in the air. There have been numerous suggested builds with very specific strengths and weaknesses. These builds seem to be the most focused and resilient. I do not list sideboards. Sideboards require careful assessment of what you plan on facing, what your maindeck is weak to, and what you can accept to lose to (and how often). Check the thread for example sideboards.

Quote Originally Posted by UBw Street Wraith by emidln
    // Manabase
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland

// Acceleration
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond

// Cantrips
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Street Wraith

// Protection
    3 Orim's Chant
    1 Extirpate
    1 Wipe Away

// Tutors
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Infernal Tutor

// Storm Engines
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Infernal Contract

// Win Conditions
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    Quote Originally Posted by 5c Doomsday by emidln
    // Manabase
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Scrubland
    1 Badlands
    1 Bayou

// Acceleration
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Cabal Ritual
    1 Lotus Petal

// Protection
    4 Duress
    4 Orim's Chant
    1 Krosan Grip

// Cantrips
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Sensei's Divining Top

// Tutors
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Doomsday

// Storm Engines
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Infernal Contract
    1 Meditate

// Win Conditions
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    Quote Originally Posted by 3c Doomsday+Infernal Tutor by Breathweapon
    // Manabase
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Underground Sea
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Island

// Acceleration
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

// Cantrips
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Sensei's Divining Top

// Protection
    4 Duress
    1 Wipe Away

// Tutors
    4 Lim-dul's Vault
    4 Doomsday
    4 Infernal Tutor

// Storm Engines
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Meditate

// Win Conditions
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    Last edited by emidln; 09-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Re: Fetchland Tendrils

You deck could be as good as Hulk Flash, and never see play because of the price tag. Nobody is shelling 600 for the playset of Tutors (400 if e-bayed).

It looks quite solid, however i never think it will be anygood based off the fact it's too costly.

It looks solid though, and maybe for MWS tournies?

Last edited by emidln; 08-06-2008 at 06:34 PM.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

you'll sell me 5 for $125!!!

Send me PM, done deal...

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

125 a piece you realize, not 5 for 125.

Who cares what the cards cost. If he has a good deck it will be played.
    If you do not want to spend cash, go to a casual tournament.

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Re: emidln's tendrils lists

From the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    This archetype is extremely customizable. The basic requirements are blue/black fetchlands, brainstorm, dark ritual, lion's eye diamond, and tendrils of agony. Everything else is basically up in the air. There have been numerous suggested builds with very specific strengths and weaknesses. These builds seem to be the most focused and resilient. I do not list sideboards. Sideboards require careful assessment of what you plan on facing, what your maindeck is weak to, and what you can accept to lose to (and how often). Check the thread for example sideboards.
    Fetchland + Tendrils has turned into many different magic archetypes, TES, ANT, Doomsday, Etc. Ad Nauseum Decks got their own thread, TES is a different beast and thus got its own thread, and this is still a Fetchland tendrils deck that fits into none of the above categories.
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

is there a doomsday pile that lets you win ( infinite loop what will let you tendrils for as much as you want ? ) with omniscience ?

λόγος + τέλος
    Feb 2011
    New York

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslan View Post
    is there a doomsday pile that lets you win ( infinite loop what will let you tendrils for as much as you want ? ) with omniscience ?
    If you have Omni in play why would you bother with Doomsday? You can just burning wish into Petals of Insight (or really anything that recycles itself) into grapeshot/tendrils and win on the spot. The two cards together in one deck doesn't really make any sense...
    If you have 3 mana and 2 draws and can't win through bullshit permanents, you are mentally deficient and probably want to examine a game with less thought. I recommend Lawn Darts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikenbok View Post
    If you have Omni in play why would you bother with Doomsday? You can just burning wish into Petals of Insight (or really anything that recycles itself) into grapeshot/tendrils and win on the spot. The two cards together in one deck doesn't really make any sense...
    If I have Onmi in play ... I would not doomsday ... that was not my question .

I was wondering if we could use doomsday as a tutor effect ( so you can tutor the combo pieces )

Ex:
    You doomsday
    Pile can be something like :
    - brainstorm
    - show and tell
    - Omni
    - draw spell
    - kill con

This way you need only one show and tell and one omni as your win con... and you can maximize your deck space for more protection or tutors

If I have Onmi in play ... I would not doomsday ... that was not my question .

I was wondering if we could use doomsday as a tutor effect ( so you can tutor the combo pieces )

Ex:
    You doomsday
    Pile can be something like :
    - brainstorm
    - show and tell
    - Omni
    - draw spell
    - kill con

This way you need only one show and tell and one omni as your win con... and you can maximize your deck space for more protection or tutors
    Just for answering the question with a few thinking for infinite loop you'll need 2 Doomsdays, a kill condition, a Top, Meditate. then add SnT + Omniscience. So except from the pile you must have enought mana and other condition conditions.

Why would you ever play omniscience in this deck??

[Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Wow, a basic Plains only for Silence? Rock solid vs Wasteland but otherwise pretty useless if you want to cast anything other than silence.
    Same for Karakas.

right now discard is a rare type of hate and more people start to play decks with only countermagic as their choice of disruption.
    So Silence makes perfect sense here as it dodges all kinds of specific countermagic such as spell snare/pyroblast/hydroblast.

Nov 2013
    charlottesville, VA

Re: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    Wow, a basic Plains only for Silence? Rock solid vs Wasteland but otherwise pretty useless if you want to cast anything other than silence.
    Same for Karakas.

right now discard is a rare type of hate and more people start to play decks with only countermagic as their choice of disruption.
    So Silence makes perfect sense here as it dodges all kinds of specific countermagic such as spell snare/pyroblast/hydroblast.
    Plains isn't always only for Silence since sometimes people opt for a package of 4 Silence & 3 Orim's Chant. Also in the past the white addition has opened the door for white cards out of the sideboard such as Grand Abolisher, Serenity, and others. With as many cantrips as DDFT runs and as many lands the deck can have (up to 18) a single plains isn't that disruptive.

Karakas is there less to cast Silence or white cards and more to hedge against certain hatecards (hatebears, griselbrand, etc). It serves as a fantastic option to add to your Doomsday piles if necessary. Mass Karakas, 3 in the 75, was considered a viable approach during certain metagames not so long ago.

The manabase is UBRWg DDFT is actually reasonably smooth.

Back on the topic of chants vs discard - right now I'm in the 7 chant camp. I run extra cantrips and I like being able to be slightly more aggressive with cantrips in the early turns and sling chants when I'm ready later. Slower approach but so far so good.

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

Quote Originally Posted by sawatarix View Post
    Same for Karakas.

Kai, back then the basic plains was quite good, to grind wastelands countermagic decks, just by overloading them with chants.
    was usual that you just fetch for plains at the start and then just with the basic plains and without fetching more to trigger styfle begin to chant a rug deck to dead without letting him wastland your only White source.
    its quite good, In a 7x chant build the plains was cool.
    Played it back ago.
    http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=7561&iddeck=54923

The helm of awakening and grapeshot combo in the sideboard looks pretty sweet, when do board them in?

Nov 2011
    Madrid (Spain)

I had them back in as a second option, usualy vs maverik. It was able to win thru cannonist and tegg.
    Did it a few times. And also as a plan b vs decks that could tempve your win options. And grapeshot kills hatebears.
    Like dd pile pass.
    Including if no sensei on this cards:
    Sensei
    Sensei
    Helm
    Grapeshot
    Survive.
    In my opp turn brainstorm
    Im my turn play helm. Then spin into infinite the senseis. Look with one and now draw grapshot and win.

This combo dodges a cannonista and a tegg in play.

Chants are your best card against storm. They can't combo off if you have a Silence you can combo off if they have a discard. How do they combo off if you float a Chant on top off your deck with SDT?

Lab Maniac has kinda replaced Helm Grapeshot because it is cheeper to win through a Teeg, it can't win through a Cannonist, but you can make a pile where CoV is the top card and make a PtT pile.

Dec 2015
    The Void

I'm curious to know, what are people's thoughts on UBr vs 5c Doomsday? Has anyone been having success with 5c or is UBr become like the go-to?

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    MTGO: Homura_Akemi

Legacy: Spanish Inquisition / R/G Combo Lands / Junk Fit / Oops! All Spells / Doomsday
    Modern: KCI Eggs / Ad Nauseam

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Five colour Doomsday gives you Chant/Silence effects. These help to make Doomsday a safe kill when facing potential burn spells. Disadvantage is the weaker mana base. Problem: most decks with burn also attack your mana base, making a weak mana base more dangerous.

The only non-UBR thing we really need, is Abrupt Decay. Without it, beating CounterTop is a nightmare. So UBr mana base with green mana from the board should be fine. I personally play the green mana main deck, because sideboard space is so tight, but that's about it.

---

Side note about Empty: I still run a one-of in my sideboard, just in case. You sometimes draw hands that can power it out on turn one, and going TES mode can be very strong against certain matchups we'd otherwise be struggling against.

Thread Information