Page 3 of 135 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Re: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    What are the situations where enchantments and artifacts are both tedious?

I imagine a deck like white stax where the only enchantment is ghostly prison that it's not a great problem for us (I presume they don't side in suppression field).
    I imagine a deck like goblin where they can side both Pillar and Thorn/chalice but it's hard to find a goblin with all this combo hate.
    I imagine a deck that plays both leyline/void and some boring spell like null rod/chalice, but a deck like this...exists?

Yeah sometime a tedious enchantment like Rule of Law or Solitary Confinement can be in play; but in these situations I presume that a chain of vapor or echoing truth can be enough.

Uhm I don't see many situations where both artifacts and enchantments are a problem.
    Serenity comes in against Goblins, builds of Survival, Landstill, Angel Stax, Enchantress, and against any deck likely to have enchantments with different names.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

So, I T8’d the Running Gagg yesterday. Here was my list:

4 LED
    4 D rit
    4 C Rit
    4 Petal
    4 Infernal
    2 Grim
    4 Mystical
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    2 IGG
    2 Tendrils
    1 ETW
    3 Orim’s Chant
    1 Wipe Away
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 island
    1 swamp
    1 Volcanic
    1 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    1 Underground
    1 Badlands

SB:
    1 Sudden Death
    4 Bob
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Abbeyance
    1 Orim’s Chant
    1 Rebuild
    1 Wipe Away
    1 ETW
    2 Serenity (There well be comments about the sideboard later.)

I started out the day greatly confident in my abilities, despite having playtested against thresh a truly inadequate amount. I don’t know if more of that would have made a difference, but I’d appreciate any pointers on the match anyone could give me. In any case, I apologise for the lack of names of opponents and other details of, well, any sort. I’m not the kind to write down every play, in fact, people who do that annoy the crap out of me, so here’s my vague report and anyone who wants their name in here whom I didn’t remember after a sleepless night should let me know, and I’ll be happy to edit it in.

Round 1: TES

Game 1 I had chant superiority. From turn 2 I had a chant available and hit him with it before I went off on like turn 3.

Game 2 I killed myself with I think 3 street wraiths and both grim totors and lost to a tendrils with a storm of like 3. Damn.

Game 3 I misplayed horribly, tapping my white source during my turn. Luckily, he didn’t see the kill and went for a D-Returns instead of killing me. He managed to draw nothing off the returns and I killed him next turn.

Round 2: Dragon Stompy (The dude who ended up I think splitting with Obfuscate) EDIT: John Daily

Game 1 I keep a hand that’s made to combat threshold, sadly he goes first turn chalice. I can’t go off the next turn and then I think he dropped a magus. GG

Game 2: I go turn 1 chant on his upkeep, turn 2 I ETW for 12 and beat. GG.

Game 3: I don’t remember much about this, but he got multiple pieces of hate and beat me down before I could get my mana sources online to deal with the hate. Serenity was lackluster here because of magus, but then again, everything was kinda lackluster…

Round 3: Obfuscate with Virginia Thresh (countertop)

Game 1: After this game, he told me he had seen what I was playing and mulled into a 2nd turn countertop. Damn. In any case, he just had an answer for everything I tried and I ended up burning myself for my final 6 life trying to call a bluffed force. Turns out he had it…

Game 2: I don’t remember too much about this, but I did manage to ETW for like 8 solely to be pyroclasmed. Once again, an answer to everything I did.

Round 4: URABAHN (<=Sp?) With Landstill

Game 1: I go off unprotected but he doesn’t have a force.

Game 2: Turn 2 (I think) I go D. rit, abeyance, win. I’ve never won turn 2 with abeyance protection before.

Round 5: My dad with goblins (MB magus)

Game 1 I go off turn 2.

Game 2 I go off turn 4 or so after bouncing a magus EOT.

Round 6: Kirdape3 with some sort of burn stompy.

Game 1: I just win before he does. He of course took me to low life, but I beat the clock.

Game 2: I chant him during his like 4th or so upkeep, and then go off the next turn. I’m at 4 life, and IGG, he bolts me (which I still won through, but I’m kicking myself for not having seen it and just chained tutors instead) and then I just tendrils him out.

I Tiebreak into T8 screwing out Colasso (<= sp?) Sorry man.

Finals Round 1: F*cking Dragon Stompy again… ^_^

Game 1 I lose to fast lock pieces. He gets a magus and 3-sphere online before I can even get my 1 wipe away.

Game 2 I manage to ETW for 12 again, pounding through his creatures.

Game 3: He mulls to 5. I keep a hand with 1 e. truth. He drops a 3-sphere. I’m planning to EOT bounce it and just go off. But he topdecks a magus and I lose. Damn. I’m still annoyed at the loss, but he was a really nice guy (although I can’t remember his name) and a good player.

All in all I was happy with how the day went, I lost only matches to the people who ended up going 1st/2nd, so I don’t feel horrible about that. But I had mentioned some sideboard thoughts: Echoing truth wasn’t bad all day, but I think Rushing River might have a slot over one of them. I found myself wanting to bounce multiple permanents more than once (especially against dragon stompy, magus+lock piece would have been great) so I think I’ll be replacing the 1 truth to give that plan a go.

Props: To the car for putting half of its riders in the T8.
    To my dad for perhaps reviving Mono-R goblins with MB magus.
    To Quack for finishing his draft games up fast, even though no one else did.
    To everyone I played against for good sportsmanship and general asskickery.
    To Bryant for losing to the same Dragon Stompy deck and making me feel better about myself.

Slops: To Bryant, for losing against the same dragon stompy deck… ^_^
    The side drafts for taking too damn long
    Deck checks, for giving will a game loss
    The campus store for charging $4.95 for a slice of f*cking pie
    General lack of sleep.
    This deck for not being at least proven, so far in northeast tournaments it has been played 2 times and T8'd exactly 2 times ^_^
    Last edited by rsaunder; 01-27-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Chief Head Chief of the Department of Redundancy Department
    Dec 2005
    Massachusetts

What's the logic behind moving Confidant to the board? Do you bring it in games 2 and 3 after people have sided out removal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    And make no mistake, a Hulk Flash dominated metagame is shit on a plate. Sure, it made for an interesting GP and possibly even attracted a few curious newcomers who wondered "I wonder what it's like to eat shit?" or "I wonder what it's like to make other people eat shit?" That's all fine and dandy, but I'll be glad to say "Good riddance!" to Flash when I wake up tomorrow.

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by b4r0n View Post
    What's the logic behind moving Confidant to the board? Do you bring it in games 2 and 3 after people have sided out removal?
    Nah, ponder is just a way better slot game 1. It helps a fast goldfish and doesnt do you a button of damage which can really add up against quite a few decks these days. Bob comes in against control for after they side out removal and gives you some card advantage, but he's just not all that necessary MD.

Hey, emidln, what do you think of bob even in the board at the moment, with red thresh getting so popular? I was scared to play him frequently as I took myself into burnable range pretty fast.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

I don't board him in against red thresh unless I know their strategy is to board out burn. When I do board him in, I usually take out Street Wraith in most matchups. If there is a sea of cappy's thresh list, you might want to move to either more basics or Tombstalkers in the board. I seem to remember testing Tombstalker and loving it. As far as taking yourself into burnable range, I'd rather draw cards and force them to have more burn rather than waiting for them to draw more burn anyway.

Edit: Congrats on the t8.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

emidIn, I have been messing around with the last list you posted for this deck and it is quite consistent, it just isn't as fast as I thought it would be. I really don't like TES and I have been thinking about putting together Michael Bomholt's IGGy list from Legacy Championships (with a few tweaks). Here is a link to his list. He took 14th http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...m/daily/bd295a
    The selling point for me on this deck is the maindeck Leylines. In your opinion what are the advantages and disadvantages of playing the last list you posted for this tendrils deck over the IGGy list?

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp_Fiction View Post
    emidIn, I have been messing around with the last list you posted for this deck and it is quite consistent, it just isn't as fast as I thought it would be. I really don't like TES and I have been thinking about putting together Michael Bomholt's IGGy list from Legacy Championships (with a few tweaks). Here is a link to his list. He took 14th http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...m/daily/bd295a
    The selling point for me on this deck is the maindeck Leylines. In your opinion what are the advantages and disadvantages of playing the last list you posted for this tendrils deck over the IGGy list?
    I'm not Brandon, but this is what he's going to say:

Leylines suck, they don't actually stop Threshold, because now Thresh just counters your IGG instead of the tutor (they suck even more now, because of Tarmogoyf). They're strictly worse in every non-Ichorid matchup. They're a God-awful topdeck. They suck against agro. There is no convincing reason not to just run more Tutors, Chants and Bounce.

Intuition is a terrible tutor. There's no reason to run that, too. It's win-more. It takes business out of your deck, and gives information to your opponent that will lose you the game. It doesn't find Chant or Bounce against control, and if it does, it's at the cost of 2 other chants or bounce spells. The only plus that it has is that it gets you threshold. Big friggin whoop, you run seven fetchlands and seven cantrips, attaining threshold isn't that hard.

By cutting the chaff contained in Mike's list, you have seven free slots. Seven. That means that you can make the deck infinately more consistant with additional Chants, redunant bounce spells, and increased tutoring power in Grim Tutor or the raw draw power of Draw Fours. You also get to run Street Wraith, which makes your Mysticals into the bastard child of Vamp and Demonic and makes your cantrips even better.

Also, whith the moving of some of your Chants and Bounce out of the board, you free up slots for more difficult matchups such as Stax and Counterbalance.dec.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Advantages of my list include not running cards that 4 for 1 you, runnings cards that do stuff in all matchups, and playing more protection and bounce maindeck (current list has Wipe Away and Rushing River). Disadvantages include, well, we haven't found any but we're open to the possibility that they exist. On a more serious note, there is no way you should ever be casting a 3 mana card that gives your opponent information or Jester's Caps you against control. I have never, ever, wished that my opponent would Cap me with 2U of my own mana. To make it not capping you, you would need to run a lot of Chant effects and 4 IGG. Given that IGG is completely worthless when it is in your hand (it costs a lot of mana, neuters your card quality and any card advantage you happened to accrue and draws your opponent cards that they obviously like since they've played them already (thus forcing you into a dilemma of running 4cc enchantments which are worse than TARPAN when drawn after your initial hand)) except for extremely narrow circumstances (those being Pyrostatic Pillar in play with you low on life and Tormod's Crypt in play with LED on the table or extra Ritual in hand) I don't think I'd really want to run 4. Indeed, I don't want the run the second one, but it's necessary for looping from 0 storm with a topdecked Infernal Tutor (which comes up in actual tournament play so I don't ignore the situation).

If Mike hasn't adopted 3-4 Ponder already (assuming he's played Legacy at all recently) I'd be extremely surprised. Ponder is the best thing to happen to this deck in a long time because it's the exact thing that want to happen turn 1. 7 Brainstrom/Ponder gives you a pretty good chance of either casting your cantrip or casting Mystical Tutor turn 1 to setup a turn 2 kill. This is what you want. Intuition is cruft from a time when we didn't have as good of a cantrip engine as the decks that are trying to beat us.

Also, Leyline of the Void is only actually good against Ichorid since the other decks play Tarmogoyf (thus are happy to work off your own instants, sorceries, fetches, and artifacts). To play Leyline you are required to run 4 IGG and I've already established that I don't want that card. Furthermore, the whole IGG + Leyline "combo" isn't even good against aggro after turn 1 since they've already played a Theat and can continue killing you while you're busy casting a discard spell on yourself. Playing Leyline means filling your deck with 4 mana spells that are highly dependent on other 4 mana spells which will lead to horrible topdecks, more lands in your deck (causing more horrible topdecks), and sitting idly by while watching your opponent beat you with something awful like Goyf Slgh*.

*By awful, I mean you should never, ever lose to Goyf Sligh with storm combo. Doing so is the very definition of awful. I actually like Goyf Sligh in the general meta agaisnt decks that don't have their opponents dead when it is ready to attack with its Kird Ape.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Nov 2005
    Germany

Leyline and a fullset of IGGs is a tech, not part of an ideal build for an open meta. There's no real reason to run so many clunky and dubious cards when you aren't expecting a buttload of graveyard hate and feel it's worth sacrificing a lot of consistency or resilency (depending on whether you cut cantrips or protection).

Even against decks crippled by Leyline it's of questionable use... most are a lot slower than storm combo and you don't gain much compared to maximising your speed advantage. They shine against the mirror and Ichorid and that's pretty much it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iranon View Post
    Leyline and a fullset of IGGs is a tech, not part of an ideal build for an open meta. There's no real reason to run so many clunky and dubious cards when you aren't expecting a buttload of graveyard hate and feel it's worth sacrificing a lot of consistency or resilency (depending on whether you cut cantrips or protection).

Even against decks crippled by Leyline it's of questionable use... most are a lot slower than storm combo and you don't gain much compared to maximising your speed advantage. They shine against the mirror and Ichorid and that's pretty much it.
    The last time someone opened up with Leyline against me I killed them turn 2 (Tendrils from hand then Infernal Tutor + LED into Tendrils #2). The last time I saw it in a pseudo-mirror, I beat them to death with Street Wraith. Incidentally, Leyline factors in very slightly in the mirror, since the best way to win the mirror to play an ETW/Street Wraith then use Chants and Abeyances to Time Walk.

Leyline really has no use in the deck. You are significantly faster than Ichorid and they likely don't even get their turn 2 insane therapy turn like they do in vintage due to the decks inconsistency. You don't need it in the mirror (chant effects are not only more effective, but more versatile). You definitely don't need it against Stax or Loam. All it does is protect you from recurring Force of Will. The newsflash in this is that recurring force of will is rarely an issue because Ill-Gotten Gains is rarely cast against decks with Force of Will save for a Chant/Abeyance/Swarm having gone live or if you have a Tendrils (+ mana to play it in pool) in your hand/yard (in which case your IGG is getting back 0cc spell, 0cc spell, tendrils).
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Current List:

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Badlands
    1 Scrubland
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Grim Tutor/Draw4/Impulse
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    3 Orim's Chant
    1 Wipe Away

Sideboard:
    3 Rebuild
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Orim's Chant
    2 Abeyance
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Sudden Death

[/B]
    You said Rushing River went into the main, what comes out for the Rushing River, 1x Orim's Chant? Is this your current list? Also, I know this has been talked about before but isn't Hurkyl's Recall strictly better than Rebuild, because after all Recall costs less especially in the light of Sphere of Resistance and the Thorn. I wouldn't think you would ever cycle it because you sided it in thus it is usually relevant to the match; the only plus I see to Rebuild is it is harder to Chalice for 3 than for 2. Is that why you prefer it? Now I haven't tested this deck against anything, just goldfished but is Pithing Needle good in the side, naming Top or Tormod's Crypt, I would think it would make your Thresh match a lot better as well as Belcher and B/W Confidant or Eva Green (shutting down Shade).

You said Rushing River went into the main, what comes out for the Rushing River, 1x Orim's Chant? Is this your current list? Also, I know this has been talked about before but isn't Hurkyl's Recall strictly better than Rebuild, because after all Recall costs less especially in the light of Sphere of Resistance and the Thorn. I wouldn't think you would ever cycle it because you sided it in thus it is usually relevant to the match; the only plus I see to Rebuild is it is harder to Chalice for 3 than for 2. Is that why you prefer it? Now I haven't tested this deck against anything, just goldfished but is Pithing Needle good in the side, naming Top or Tormod's Crypt, I would think it would make your Thresh match a lot better as well as Belcher and B/W Confidant or Eva Green (shutting down Shade).
    I cut ETW from the maindeck. I won more games with Street Wraith than I did with ETW. I never wanted to cast that card. I'm running 3-4 basics (2 Islands, 1-2 Swamp, sometimes an extra Tundra (2 total) or a Plains over the 2nd swamp).

Crypt isn't an issue at all. You can play straight through it with IGG in several ways, bounce it, or combo out without using IGG (really not that hard with infy cantrips and tutors).

Hurky's Recall is worse than Rebuild precisely because Recall costs 2 mana. I already have 2 mana solutions to Stax in Echoing Truth and Serenity. With 3-4 basics and 7 fetches, I don't really feel the need to cater to nonexistent decks that play 8 2spheres. Rebuild costing three means I can bring it into matchups where Counterbalance and Trinket Mage are played as a solution to my opponent overextending with EEs, Crypts, Needles,etc (it's harder to counter with Counterbalance). It can cycle there when it's not needed, where H.Recall sits in my hand maybe generating an extra 2-3 storm when comboing, but likely not (and Rebuild could do the same thing anyway).

Pithing Needle is worse than Serenity. Why would I shut down shade instead of just winning? Belcher is busy dealing with 5-6 chant effects, bounce spells and the fact that I'm going to win the game turn 2. Their out to not losing the matchup is winning the dice roll and then winning turn 1 on the play before chants and tutor/draw into chants come online.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Ok, I have played this deck quite a bit, both goldfished and played against some people for fun and this deck is REALLY resistant to hand destruction due to all the cantrips. It is also a lot faster than I originally thought, after I got used to all the weird interactions I got a consistent turn 2-4 and 1 turn 1 kill out of 30 or so hands. But due to a lack of testing againt UGw Thresh and UW Standstill I can't say that the matchups look very good I can only guess how they would go and I am curious as to how anyone who plays this deck thinks about them. Is that why Empty the Warrens is in SB? With Top and Counterbalance in play Orim's Chant becomes fairly useless. Against this type of deck do you just EOT Wipe Away the Top then next turn Chant them then attempt to combo off? But with Top in play you can't Mystical Tutor for Wipe Away, so are you just forced to topdeck? I am generalizing here but how would you play against a deck with Countertop, Stifle, Force, and Daze in the main?

My other thoughts are on the Grim Tutors. They just seem kind of misplaced because every time I have used them it has taken up my only Dark Ritual to cast it and thrown a wrench into things, with excess mana they can up the storm count and usually when cast you win the next or following turn but there have been situations where I just didn't have enough resources for it to work. I would say for me 50% of the time I won the next or following turns it was cast and 50% of the time I wished it was something else. Would 2x Plunge into Darkness, 2x Flash of Insight (weakest of all I think), Impulse, or Ponder #4 and 1x Empty the Warrens be a good substitute for them?

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

I've been using Impulse in that slot. It owns. Not having to pay lots of life for digging into 4 cards and getting the best of them plus getting rid of possibly annoying things for the next cantrip is really good.

BTW, the table is clear (no CB) and you cast Orim's Chant. It get's countered by Force of Will removing Stifle. You don't have a second one. You try go off?
    Keep moon-walking.

Sep 2007
    MN

I would factor in how many cards are in their hand, untapped islands, etc. However, given your post I probably would. They would have needed to been 3 deep in protection and the stifle pitch is probably for attempted posturing at the impending 20 life loss.

ETW isn't really for the Thresh and Landstill matchups. The mere threat of ETW is good enough in that matchup because it forces them to board answers that are going to be extremely narrow and otherwise dead. ETW is likely better as a phantom threat than as an actual card at this point because of proper deck construction.

I honestly don't understand how people have such a hard time against CB/Top. It's a combo that is extremely mana intensive, doesn't come online until at least turn 3, and is extremely vulnerable to its opponents not being braindead (i.e. alternating casting costs of spells, playing stuff eot, and responding to top activating since your opponent has limited access to particular casting costs. This is assuming that you don't simply cast Wipe Away. If you were really concerned about CB/top you can even board Gigadrowse (which incidentally shuts down the engine down pretty well) or move into green for KGrip/Trygon Predator (more permanent solutions to CB than Wipe Away). I usually turbo-mystical for Wipe Away in matchups where I know CB is threat. This is going to force my opponent to play a second CB at which point you get to test the top card with a cantrip/mystical and then wipe away away either an open land (if you're using Brainstorm on their end step to penalize them for tapping 2 lands although this is far riskier than the next) or their Top. Alternately here, you can test with Chants/Cantrips until they are forced to break top. When you do that, you can attempt to throw chants/rituals in response. The best solution is to win before CB/Top goes online though, and that is by far the most common situation due to msot CB thresh decks playing exactly 4 hard counters.

Grim Tutor/Draw4s are metagame slots. I'm playing Draw4s at the moment to avoid a great deal of hand disruption. Other stuff I've considered playing in those slots are Ponder #4, Chant #4, Rushing River #1, basic Plains #1 (switching out land #14 (Volcanic Island/Tundra/Swamp) into Flooded Strand #4 obv), and Impulse #s 1-2.

More than likely yes to the question. Without knowing gamestate (my hand, their untaped lands, my board, my graveyard, the turn number, their graveyard, their handsize, what I've seen from their deck in previous games/scouting) I can't say for sure though.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007

More than likely yes to the question. Without knowing gamestate (my hand, their untaped lands, my board, my graveyard, the turn number, their graveyard, their handsize, what I've seen from their deck in previous games/scouting) I can't say for sure though.
    I was talking about a game state like the "default" turn 2 one against aggro-control. Anyway, here's some specification:

Your opponent has 5-6 cards in hand (1-2 cantrips in the grave) with Ux dual(s) in play. You have 2 lands and enough acceleration+storm to combo that turn using IGG once, but you can't fetch for double Tendrils.
    Keep moon-walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiminho View Post
    I was talking about a game state like the "default" turn 2 one against aggro-control. Anyway, here's some specification:

Your opponent has 5-6 cards in hand (1-2 cantrips in the grave) with Ux dual(s) in play. You have 2 lands and enough acceleration+storm to combo that turn using IGG once, but you can't fetch for double Tendrils.

If I have the Petal to play around Daze, I probably do it. Also, depending on whether or not I suspected it was Thrash (from previous games or watching) I might consider whether or not I could survive a Spell Snare.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007

If I have the Petal to play around Daze, I probably do it. Also, depending on whether or not I suspected it was Thrash (from previous games or watching) I might consider whether or not I could survive a Spell Snare.
    I'd guess that trying to survive a Spell Snare is easier than trying to survive the recurred Force of Will, since you did cast IGG once to get enough storm. In this situation, force on a ritual would very likely crush you.
    Keep moon-walking.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

I just figured I'd post my results from Hadley (5th out of 40). If anyone has any questions on card decisions please feel free to ask.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Thread Information