Page 2 of 135 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Re: Fetchland Tendrils

That's not true, compare Draw 7s in Vintage to Draw 7s in this deck and then look at how much more acceleration this deck has, it should be clear that the card is functional. Whether or not it's less functional than in TES is up for debate, sure TES has Chrome Mox and SSG compared to 4 more land, but this deck also has 4 Tendrils of Agony and 1 Empty the Warrens compared to 1 Tendrils of Agony and 1 Empty the Warrens and Mystical Tutor + Street Wraith is a "full" tutor if you draw into it and Ponder is far from dead on the combo turn. It's also not like you have to win the turn you cast Diminishing Returns, it just has to put you in a better position to win.

I just don't know how you guys are actually approaching this deck, I mean Mystical Tutor -> Diminishing Returns, Lion's Eye Diamond, cycle Street Wraith and then sacrifice Lion's Eye Diamond in response is one of your biggest plays.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007
    Local Group > Milky Way Galaxy > Orion Arm > Solar System > Earth > Italy > Vicenza

Re: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

I do a 5-2 to a 114 tournament last sunday with my personal version.
    I like this deck, but it's very difficult to play for 7 turns.
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. - Neuromancer

Current List:

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Badlands
    1 Scrubland
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Grim Tutor/Draw4/Impulse
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    3 Orim's Chant
    1 Wipe Away

Sideboard:
    3 Rebuild
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Orim's Chant
    2 Abeyance
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Sudden Death

Here's a play situation for the guys who run this deck. Your opponent was on the play in a game 1 situation. They've played Taiga, Mountain, Mox Diamond, and Countryside Crusher. They had no turn 1 play outside of land. On your turn 1 you played Tundra, go. It's their end step approaching your turn 2:

In play (Opponent):
    Mox Diamond (tapped)
    Taiga (tapped)
    Mountain (tapped)
    Countryside Crusher (untapped)

In hand (Opponent):

3 unknown cards

In play (You):
    Tundra (untapped)

In hand (You):
    Flooded Strand
    Ill-Gotten Gains
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Mystical Tutor
    Mystical Tutor
    Street Wraith
    Volcanic Island

What is your play from here?
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    What is your play from here?
    I am no dedicated combo player but I can see 2 possible plays:
    • Go for a 18 tokken Empty the Warrens
      • Pros
        • Possible Chumpblockers in case of evil Countryside Crusher Combo
        • Not Vulnerable To Wasteland
      • Cons
        • Vulnerable to Devastating Dreams

• Go for a Tendrils kill on the turn after next
      • Pros
        • Kills for real
      • Cons
        • Vulnerable to a single ld effect

I don't think you need to wait for protection as your opponent will be playing some sort of Aggro Loam (no disruption).

Howto:

Code:
    Option A:

End of Turn, Mystical Tutor -> Dark Ritual
    Draw Dark Ritual
    Play Flooded Strand -> Underground Sea
    Mystical Tutor [1] -> Dark Ritual
    Cycling Street Wraith, Draw Dark Ritual

Ritual, Ritual, LED, IGG [5] in response crack LED for UUU (BUUU)
    Return LED, Mystical, Street Wraith
    LED, Mystical [7] -> Infernal Tutor (BUU)
    Cycling Street Wraith in response crack LED for RRR (BUURRR)
    Infernal Tutor -> Empty the Warrens [9]

Option B:

End of Turn, Mystical Tutor -> Infernal Tutor
    Draw Infernal Tutor
    Infernal Tutor -> LED
    Pass Turn

Draw *blank*
    Play Volcanic Island
    Dark Ritual, LED, LED [4] -> IGG in response crack LED for UUUBBB
    Return Infernal Tutor, LED, LED
    LED, LED, Infernal Tutor [7] in response crack LED for UUUBBB (UUUUUBBBBB)
    Infernal Tutor -> Infernal Tutor -> ToA [10]

I'd like to note that this was an in-game situation and it is possible to do a guaranteed (well, assuming no countermagic, which is pretty likely given it's RGB aggro loam and they're tapped out) win with Tendrils turn 2. I'll post the solution later.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Mystical tutor for Brainstorm looks strong here, but it adds randomness which is maybe not necessary.

Mar 2007
    United Kingdom

I can see a turn 2 tendrils for 18, but I can't quite see the 20 without making some assumptions on a draw spell (If this is counted as allowed then yes I can see a kill).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Americans are to acronyms what Europeans are to culture, language, philosophy, and everything else good in the world.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

End of Turn, Mystical Tutor -> Dark Ritual
    Draw Dark Ritual

Ritual, Ritual, LED, IGG [5] in response crack LED for UUU (BUUU)
    Return LED, Mystical, Street Wraith
    LED + Mystical [7] -> IGG (BUU)
    SW in resp crack LED (BBBBUU) -> IGG [8] (BU)
    Return SW, Mystical, LED.
    LED + Mystical [10] -> Tendrils (B)
    SW in resp crack LED (BBBB)
    Play Tendrils FTW [11].

Mar 2007
    United Kingdom

Ah Ofc :) I forgot it was their end step not the beginning of our turn, that accounts for my difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Americans are to acronyms what Europeans are to culture, language, philosophy, and everything else good in the world.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Let's say now that your opponent played a top on its first turn and a tarmogoyf on the second with a tropical island and an underground sea and you know that he knows what you're playing (he's been scrying on the previous round because he had a bye). What would be your strategy?

Laugh at the opponent for not tapping Islands and sand bag Fetchlands for a turn 2+ kill. As an aside, have people tried out Slithermuse in this deck at all? It looks fairly saucy with 4 Cabal Ritual/Tendrils of Agony.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

I've been thinking about a somewhat slower combo deck (combo-control). To win, you basically need two mana producers (LED or Cabal Ritual with threshold) and an Infernal Tutor (or an Ill-Gotten Gains with an Infernal Tutor in the graveyard). So I cut the Lotus Petals and Dark Rituals because they are inferior to a LED or a threshed Cabal Ritual. You might be interested in my list:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Night's Whisper

4 Cunning Wish
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Engineered Explosives
    3 Repeal

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony

3 Orim's Chant

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

//Sideboard
    1 Cabal Ritual
    1 Orim's Chant
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Rebuild
    1 Slaughter Pact
    1 Pact of Negation
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    6 open non-wishable

This deck has been extremely consistant for me at comboing turn 4-5 with Orim's Chant backup. I really think it has potential. I hope you are willing to test it and tell me your results.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Laugh at the opponent for not tapping Islands and sand bag Fetchlands for a turn 2+ kill. As an aside, have people tried out Slithermuse in this deck at all? It looks fairly saucy with 4 Cabal Ritual/Tendrils of Agony.
    It probably won't be good for the same reason that Diminishing Returns isn't... There's too much non-bomb cards that you don't want to draw off of a Draw4/5/6/7 which could make you fizzle. If there's a deck that could maximize Slithermuse, it would be either TES or Belcher, and Slithermuse is questionable even in those decks.

Prozor, your build is interesting, to say the least. Kind of reminds me of the old Gifts Vintage decks where they sometimes outcontrol you before they finish off with a Yawgmoth's Will turn into Tendrils. You can even fit Force of Wills in here with a bit of tweaking. I'd like to fit a 3rd Cabal Ritual in the MD though, since you'd want to see that early and often. You don't have much control elements to actually control the game past Turn 4.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

There is no reason at all to play control cards like STP and EE in Legacy Tendrils. You don't need to control the game to win with Chant backup. You can win with chant backup from turn 1 onwards with the lists kcapp001 and I play, as well as varied hate such as multiple meddling mages, counters, and extirpates in the same game. Furthermore, your list assumes that your opponent can't counter the Orim's Chant. This is a flat out falsehood that isn't taken into account here. It's common for my list to get its Chant countered and continue playing spells for a lethal Tendrils. This is primarily the reason you can beat decks like Landstill and Threshold.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

It is fairly easy to get multiple Chants with my list due to the cantrips, Infernal Tutors and Cunning Wishes. Of course this takes time, and NQG won't give you this time. However, I consider blue-based control like Landstill an easy mathup because they give you the time to find multiple Chants.

The StP and EE help stalling and at the same time they can deal with hate like Gaddock Teeg and Meddling Mage. I'm absolutely not saying it's the right direction for the deck, but it worked fine for me, so I was just throwing the list out there.

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007
    Local Group > Milky Way Galaxy > Orion Arm > Solar System > Earth > Italy > Vicenza

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Current List:

4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Tundra
    1 Badlands
    1 Scrubland
    1 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Street Wraith
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Ponder
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Infernal Tutor
    2 Grim Tutor/Draw4/Impulse
    2 Ill-Gotten Gains
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens
    3 Orim's Chant
    1 Wipe Away

Sideboard:
    3 Rebuild
    1 Empty the Warrens
    4 Dark Confidant
    1 Orim's Chant
    2 Abeyance
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Wipe Away
    1 Sudden Death
    I've played a very similar list to last tournament (23 december). Now I'm playing again TES.

The differences were:
    - 1 wipe away +1 echoing truth
    - 1 orim's chant +1 extirpate
    in SB:
    -2 rebuild -1 EtW -2 Abeyance -1 Sudden Death -1 Echoing Truth
    +1 orim's chant +1 chain of vapor +2 duress +1 hurkyl's recall +1 island +1 massacre

Before the tournament I thought that Rebuild is strictly better than Hurkyl's Recall, because under Trinisphere Rebuild does the same effect of Hurkyl's Recall and it can add mre storm count if there's in play some LED or Lotus Petal. But I was wrong...I saw that more goblin decks were playing Thorn of Amethyst so now I think that a mix between Rebuild and Hurkyl's Recall it's the right choice.

I use in side an island only because I thought that the metagame was full of Magus of the Moon, Blood Moon and Back to Basics.

In the last build I was playing I use 1 repeal maindeck. It's not horrible: fantastic against chalice and can add +2 to storm combo (useful when we can't use ill-gotten gains).

@BreathWeapon: I've tested Slithermuse in this deck, but I don't like it. I prefer it in 1x in TES instead of a Cruel Bargain. Why? Because in this deck there aren't so many bomb like in TES. I'm seeing also in TES that often when I play Slithermuse then my hand flizzes. In fetchland Tendrils there are more lands, setup spells,...more probability that our hand flizzes.

@Prozor: why not Gifts Ungiven?
    Seriously, do you like 4 Stp 3 e.e. & 4 wish when you start to combo!?
    Why don't yu play mystical tutor that can grab the card that you want(stp,orim,...)?
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. - Neuromancer

We actually made a change recently to go -2 Rebuild, +2 Serenity in the sb to address decks like Goblins and White Stax that are likely to throw both artifacts and enchantments out that you need to deal with.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007

why do you prefer Serenity to Hurkyl's Recall?

It's not blu so you must search Tundra instead of Island.
    It's not istant so it goes under cards like Rishadan Port & Tangle Wire.
    You must wait a turn so if your opponent plays cards like Oblivion Ring is a problem (I presume they side out them against combo...).
    If your opponent plays Trinisphere, you can't play in respone Mystical for bouncer; instead you must wait to topdeck the right card (Serenity).

The advantages are: Serenity is not rebbable and can destroy enchantments, but I think that there are more disadvantages than advantages.

Perhaps I forget something.

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    why do you prefer Serenity to Hurkyl's Recall?

It's not blu so you must search Tundra instead of Island.
    It's not istant so it goes under cards like Rishadan Port & Tangle Wire.
    You must wait a turn so if your opponent plays cards like Oblivion Ring is a problem (I presume they side out them against combo...).
    If your opponent plays Trinisphere, you can't play in respone Mystical for bouncer; instead you must wait to topdeck the right card (Serenity).

The advantages are: Serenity is not rebbable and can destroy enchantments, but I think that there are more disadvantages than advantages.

Perhaps I forget something.
    Anytime I board in Serentiy I'm bringing in the 1x Rebuild as well. Serenity is better in that it can deal with decks that present both problem artifacts and enchantments. This was a major stumbling point during testing.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007

What are the situations where enchantments and artifacts are both tedious?

I imagine a deck like white stax where the only enchantment is ghostly prison that it's not a great problem for us (I presume they don't side in suppression field).
    I imagine a deck like goblin where they can side both Pillar and Thorn/chalice but it's hard to find a goblin with all this combo hate.
    I imagine a deck that plays both leyline/void and some boring spell like null rod/chalice, but a deck like this...exists?

Yeah sometime a tedious enchantment like Rule of Law or Solitary Confinement can be in play; but in these situations I presume that a chain of vapor or echoing truth can be enough.

Uhm I don't see many situations where both artifacts and enchantments are a problem.

Thread Information