Page 5 of 135 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Re: [Deck] Fetchland Tendrils

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    (Wipe Out hasn't been in my list in awhile, but I could see a meta where I might potentially want it)
    What card is that? Do you mean Wipe Clean?

Also, is Draw4 really good against discard? Rituals (which is the only way to cast Draw4s) or LEDs are usually the first things that get kicked out of my hand.
    Keep moon-walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiminho View Post
    What card is that? Do you mean Wipe Clean?
    I meant Wash Out. Sorry, I've edited that now.

Yes, the draw4s are really good in the face of discard. I find myself Mystical Tutoring for them quite a bit.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

emidln: I agree with you on Serenity, I just don't have any I've had a really hard time finding them. (I don't really wanna break down and Ebay them...)
    As for Wipe Away vs. Thresh I actually had intended to add only take it out vs. no counter/top.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Quote Originally Posted by JanValentine00 View Post
    emidln: I agree with you on Serenity, I just don't have any I've had a really hard time finding them. (I don't really wanna break down and Ebay them...)
    As for Wipe Away vs. Thresh I actually had intended to add only take it out vs. no counter/top.
    I think it better against non-CB Thresh as well. An uncounterable way to bounce Stifle mana, Leylines, Crypts, Mage, even a Goyf is a pretty big deal.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by emidln View Post
    Depending on your metagame, Pyroclasm and Sudden Death immediately become considerations. I keep these cards in a binder for me to make use of in my 75:
    [big-ass list]
    Tell me, are you ever tempted to add a bunch more land and just pilot the whole pile for kicks?
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007
    Local Group > Milky Way Galaxy > Orion Arm > Solar System > Earth > Italy > Vicenza

I'm arrived 3° to a 47 people tournament.

I found only favorable matchup: I lose to a Landstill UW with an anti combo side, I win against pikula, threshold UGR, white stax, vakapox BG (I'm not sure, I don't know very much the deck), belcher. In top8 I win against trinketTOPbalance and I lose against madness survival UG because I do some not obtimum choice and the deck also turns off (mulligan at 4,...).

My deck is very similar to the standard decklist.

My side is:
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Duress
    2 Serenity
    1 Rebuild
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Rushing River
    1 Massacre
    1 EtW
    1 Extirpate
    1 Orim's Chant

Dark Confidant is the very MVP of the side. With these pairings I side in against Landstill, madness, white stax, vakapox, pikula, trinketTOPbalance and I win many games thanks to card advantage.
    I side in EtW only against the deck that can use Extirpte or Meddling Mage, but I never use it.
    I don't have Abeyance so I use Duress, but I've seen that Duress in some situations is better than Abeyance.
    Serenity not so useful, the problem is the white mana because often I side in Serenity against decks that uses wastelands.
    The others cards are usual useful stuff.

I've played TES for almost a year and I test iggy-pop only 30-40 matches, but this deck is better. More stable and it can exit from desperate situations. Storm at the best.
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. - Neuromancer

just wants to cuddle
    Jan 2006
    Geneseo NY

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    it can exit from desperate situations. Storm at the best.
    On that note, I had a hand like that last friday*. Game 1 vs. an unknown deck, I mulled to 4. Petal, LED, Chant, Dark Rit. I pulled a land off of the top, followed by a brainstorm, with which I drew enough to win turn 3 with protection. He didn't even force the chant, but it just goes to show how this deck can go "Oops, I win" from almost any situation.

*I won our little local, 10-0 in games, i forefitted a match where my opponent revealed a vizzerdrix** after I IGGed, i figured he diserved that much for playing such a godawful card. This type of match is why I don't even pretend to report these events anymore.

**He then explained how he could get it out by turn 4, through an elaborate suspend combo, so I really had to concede to his manliness.
    I'm here to kick ass and play card games.

BZK

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I'm really liking this deck since it's moved away from Grim Tutors (basically the only thing holding me back). It's like Iggy Pop, but better, and I loved Iggy Pop. I especially like the list that top 8-ed recently per the tournament result thread.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Why is EtW being dropped from the MD? I love the card, it puts so much pressure on the opponent even at a low storm count, enough for me to sculpt my hand into a lethal Tendris...

Also, my list runs 4 each of Chant and Ponder, and 1 bounce spell (Wipe Away) and no Draw4's in the MD. I figured why not play 4 of each of the best spells in the deck? I've found Draw4's a bit lacking, since I love card quality over quantity (hence the 4th Ponder).
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

I never actually cast ETW. I usually play under the assumption that my opponent has an answer to it given that when I cast it in tournament play, my opponent follows up with Echoing Truth, EE, or Pyroclasm. I'd much rather have a stable manabase than the potential for a card that routinely gets me 7 for 1'd.

I like the 4th Ponder, but the draw4 is important as a tutor target against targeted discard decks. When I cut it, I was always running into situations where I needed the draw4 so I returned it to its slot. Recently, I've been switching between Death Wish #1, Cruel Bargain #1, and Ponder #4, although I think Cruel Bargain is winning the slot right now.

BTW, anyone who has cut red should heavily consider basic Plains. It is the nuts. Seriously.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

I don't play this deck very often, occassionally I proxy it (have everything but the Underground Seas) up and mess around at my local card shop, but I really think, since this is a storm deck, there should be 1 Empty in the main. You don't even have to mess with the manabase. 4x Lotus Petal and 4x LED will do the trick. Empty the Warrens generally allows you to win games you shouldn't, especially against Threshold or random aggro game 1. Because regardless of the deck there will be times where you just can't do a lethal Tendrils (usually when you don't have any cards in hand) and is always nice against an opponent who gets a Leyline into play. Or an Extirpated Tendrils, as Extirpate is starting to pick up steam in Legacy.

I am not saying it has to be in the deck, but I used this as an example in the SI thread but it applies here as well cause I used the same cards. I was playing B.C.'s 2x Land Version against B/W Confidant and turn 3-5 I had no cards in hand with 2 LED, Chrome Mox, and a Bayou in play and was looking at a Hippie and Dark Confidant on the other side of the table. I ripped Infernal Tutor off the top, did the IGG loop and cast Empty the Warrens for 12. I just love the versatility of Empty the Warrens cause it really lets you win games you shouldn't or stalls long enough to set up for a win. Plus it is also nice to always have an extra out incase you can't find your bounce for Leyline and Meddling Mage.

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007

ETW is only able to be good pre-side. Decks usually pack creature hate and those are easily sided out in favor of ETW killers such as EE (which is many times MDed), Plague, Pyroclasm and Echoing Truth. There is probably not a single non-aggro deck that doesn't have any spell like that. Even pre-side, it can only be useful against decks without an absurd amount of cantrip using maindeck EE (read Thresh) and when you are not about to die from a reaching damage.

I seriously hate ETW when I need any topdeck to win next turn, except for uncastable ones, since I got Infernal Tutor and no LED. I lost a match in a recent event because of that.

Despite all of this, I'm prolly not taking it out anytime soon.
    Keep moon-walking.

Neuromancer
    Jan 2007
    Local Group > Milky Way Galaxy > Orion Arm > Solar System > Earth > Italy > Vicenza

I play with an EtW maindeck for more than 2 months; perhaps I win 4-5 matchs with it, all others times it's an horrible and scary topdeck. So I cut it.
    You must consider that this deck is not fast like TES or Belcher so many decks have the time to searrch or to play more expensive global response like WoG or Deed or Prison or milions others cards.
    I play in side (without using any red land maindeck because I don't want to build a weaker manabase against blood stompy or white stax only for a card that perhaps I can play only 1 time in all the tournament (last tournament I never play it)) because, as I said, if my opponent play a Duress + Extirpate on ToA I want an emergency exit. The same is for Meddling Mage, in some situations, with a mage into play naming ToA and my hand without massacre/bouncers/mystical but with a combo hand perhaps I can play 16 or more goblins and I can win with them without waiting the right topdeck.
    From my testing, these are the unique situations where EtW is useful.

The version I play to last tournament is for me the best (I have only some doubt on the diatribe abeyance/duress and serenity/more bouncers effects).
    So I'll wait to see the spoiler of Shadowmoor before I'll do some changes. I hope wizards prints also only 1 card for combo. It's enough.

i forefitted a match where my opponent revealed a vizzerdrix**

In my meta all play serious cards. But next time I'll put in side a vizzerdrix or squire. what is the best?

p.s.: why this thread is not in the Established Decks section? How many others top8 we must do to reveal the power of this deck...?!?!
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel. - Neuromancer

Quote Originally Posted by jegger View Post
    p.s.: why this thread is not in the Established Decks section? How many others top8 we must do to reveal the power of this deck...?!?!
    Be quiet. There is no primer or something so this can't be moved. If the general public is not aware of this deck, we can pretend to not be storm-combo for maybe even 2 turns. It's just hilarious to pull a tendrils for 26 when your opponent tought you were playing black ***** or something. It's not like this deck is a secret, but most people are still not aware of it.

Quote Originally Posted by deviant View Post
    Be quiet. There is no primer or something so this can't be moved. If the general public is not aware of this deck, we can pretend to not be storm-combo for maybe even 2 turns. It's just hilarious to pull a tendrils for 26 when your opponent tought you were playing black ***** or something. It's not like this deck is a secret, but most people are still not aware of it.
    Most people put me on White Thresh or Fish before I cast Mystical, cycle Street Wraith, or start playing rituals. This is actually pretty good because if they knew I was playing Tendrils, they should be trying to stop my Brainstorms and Ponders, a tactic that flies directly in the face of traditional wisdom against the aggro-control mirror. I usually fetch out basic Island, Plains, and Tundra first so it's pretty easy to sell people on 3 or 4c CounterTop with some marginal acting.

Also, I'm kinda lazy and haven't finished the primer yet. I'll be finished...any day now.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

I've picked up Fetchland Tendrils based on reading the posts here and on mtgsalvation by emidln. I have to say, this is a really good deck, and I've even managed to have some success in a local tournament with it, splitting the finals with a UGw thresh deck. Granted, it wasn't cutthroat competition, and I didn't really face alot of hate. I just have one thing to add on the EtW issue.

With Morningtide, goblins got Warren Weirding and Earwig Squad. I'm seeing alot of decks that are maindecking these cards now, one or the other. Weirding kills Mongoose (and doesn't do anything against Fetchland Tendrils), while Earwig Squad can easily shut this deck down in game 1. Particularly since Fetchland Tendrils doesn't have that good of a time against first turn lackeys. I think that Empty the Warrens should be played at least as a sideboard card as a 2 of. I'm seeing alot of lists with boards that don't have Empty the Warrens, since it isn't particularly good, but in a goblin heavy area, I think Empty the Warrens might even be good as a 2x maindeck secondary kill option. With 2x Tendrils and 2x Empty the Warrens, you are guaranteed at least 1 win condition even if your opponent prowls out an Earwig Squad on turn 2 with the help of a Warchief. Then you combo off on the next turn with a bajillion tokens and chant them during their upkeep so they can't Matron into Sharpshooter and wipe your army.

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007

For that, they need a Lackey + Warchief + Earwig Squad. Losing to that is like losing to turn 1 Mana, Ritual, Duress, Therapy, Therapy, which is pretty much acceptable, since you will see that once in your life. Ayway, if you are having problems with that, just keep an additional Tendrils in the SB.
    Keep moon-walking.

Matron acts as another 4 copies of Earwig Squad. What usually happens, is that they prowl out the squad on turn 3, and I lose pretty much all of my win cons. I've had people taking away my 2 Iggy and 1 Tendrils. So even with my only Tendrils in hand, I can't always reliably get a storm count of 10 before goblins kill me. Of course, there are more games where I can go off on turn 2 or 3 on the play, but I just don't like my deck to completely lose to one card if it resolves.

Something that just wrecks this deck should be considered when deckbuilding/tweaking, and adding 1 additional (or 2, if you don't maindeck 1 Empty the Warrens) win condition should be looked into, even if it might be a subpar choice against some decks. At least it shores up a glaring weakness against 1 particular matchup. Especially one that's becoming more popular (at least it seems so in our area).

Quote Originally Posted by Apex View Post
    Matron acts as another 4 copies of Earwig Squad. What usually happens, is that they prowl out the squad on turn 3, and I lose pretty much all of my win cons. I've had people taking away my 2 Iggy and 1 Tendrils. So even with my only Tendrils in hand, I can't always reliably get a storm count of 10 before goblins kill me. Of course, there are more games where I can go off on turn 2 or 3 on the play, but I just don't like my deck to completely lose to one card if it resolves.

Something that just wrecks this deck should be considered when deckbuilding/tweaking, and adding 1 additional (or 2, if you don't maindeck 1 Empty the Warrens) win condition should be looked into, even if it might be a subpar choice against some decks. At least it shores up a glaring weakness against 1 particular matchup. Especially one that's becoming more popular (at least it seems so in our area).
    I suggest learning to push your goldfish faster or make the little plays that make it impossible to prowl the guy (like chanting them). Diluting the deck for an unproven build of a good matchup is a bad idea. That said, you could easily play Death Wish, more copies of Tendrils, ETW, or whatever you feel like in the sideboard. The core of the deck will beat Goblins by itself. You just need to figure out which win condition you want. Boarding in 1 Death Wish and 1 Tendrils would likely be better than any number of ETW given that ETW is so hated in other sideboards.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Yeah, I don't know how to chant properly half the time. Against aggro decks, I sometimes just throw it out there as fast as possible to "walk" them (term used loosely). Maybe I have to try and time it. Are there particular signs you watch out for when you are chanting an aggro player? I.e. Lackey on the board, Disiple already out, etc? Against control/aggro control, I tend to hoard chants until I can go off. Though I've been reading some Tendrils variant game reports, and it seems people are going for 2x Tendrils against control more often than hoarding chants. Is that the correct play generally?

Against Earwig Squad, the Death Wish is a cool suggestion, I might even main the Death Wish instead of my 1 Empty the Warrens from now. After board, I'll bring in the other Tendrils in the board. This way, I will have 2x Iggy, 3x Tendrils and 1x Deathwish to avoid a fast prowl. Thanks emidln.

Thread Information