Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Single Card Discussion] Sylvan Safekeeper

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Re: [Single Card Discussion] Sylvan Safekeeper

It's also pretty useful in Maverick to "machine-gun kill" the opponent with an unblocked Knight of the Reliquary (by sacrificing all your lands to boost it).

Aug 2009
    Finland

Thanks for all the responses to my question. I had noticed it's playability with Depths combo but was wondering if that alone is enough reason to run the card.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    It's also pretty useful in Maverick to "machine-gun kill" the opponent with an unblocked Knight of the Reliquary (by sacrificing all your lands to boost it).
    Hah, that's funny actually. Too bad Safekeeper grants shroud and not the cursed Hexproof; I feel like there's a bad deck somewhere in there with Terravores, KotRs, Berserks, that Red Berserk that isn't very good, that other Red Berserk that isn't very good either...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Site Contributor

Aug 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Hah, that's funny actually. Too bad Safekeeper grants shroud and not the cursed Hexproof; I feel like there's a bad deck somewhere in there with Terravores, KotRs, Berserks, that Red Berserk that isn't very good, that other Red Berserk that isn't very good either...
    You can sacrifice all your lands while keeping priority if you really want to boost KotR, since sacrificing a land is a cost :) Only problem with that approach, is that your opponent could respond with a StP when you sacrifice your last land, while all the abilities are still on the stack...

So a better approach would be to give hexproof to an unblocked KotR, then, once the ability has resolved, you sacrifice all your other lands, targeting the Safekeeper (keeping priority), for lethal damage :)

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by SirTylerGalt View Post
    You can sacrifice all your lands while keeping priority if you really want to boost KotR, since sacrificing a land is a cost :) Only problem with that approach, is that your opponent could respond with a StP when you sacrifice your last land, while all the abilities are still on the stack...

So a better approach would be to give hexproof to an unblocked KotR, then, once the ability has resolved, you sacrifice all your other lands, targeting the Safekeeper (keeping priority), for lethal damage :)
    No yeah I know you can just pay the cost X times where X is your land spells.

I just mean that if it were hexproof, you could build a deck against windmilling a Terravore/KotR/Goyf/whatever-else-grows-from-landses and then just try and old-school them out with a Berserk-Stompy/Tog approach. Get that KotR up to a 5/5 or 10/10, cast X spells that double its attack, and if they try to StP it? Fuck 'em, give it hexproof and make them puke their pants.

Alas SSafekeeper gives them shroud, so your pump spells would be countered on resolution, so this deck doesn't work at all. It wouldn't have been great in the first place, but it would have been funny as hell.

Totally unrelated, my favorite deck for a long time was ErnieGeddon and some arrangement with Terravore/Safekeeper/Flagstones/Knight of the Reliquary would just be funny as hell if it weren't for junk like TNN locking the board down. One big angry just won't get there no mo :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Thread Information