Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140
Results 2,781 to 2,789 of 2789

Thread: [Deck] Burn

Re: [Deck] Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Mongrel View Post
    Also, I've always thought that Vexing Shusher was superior to Krosan Grip against Counter-top, but have heard some advocating a Green splash for Grip because Shusher dies to removal, etc; thoughts?
    Considering that the same decks that run CounterTop also run lots of removal (StP, Terminus), spalshing for green might not be a bad idea. Frankly, I wouldn't use burn if you have to deal with a lot of Miracle Decks packing the CounterTop combo.

Dec 2011
    USA

Working on a Primer for Burn, should have something posted within 24 hours, over half way done. ^.^

New burn thread here because I'm crazy: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...d=1#post712934
    Last edited by feline; 03-26-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    Primary legacy deck High Tide primer

Quote Originally Posted by feline View Post
    Working on a Primer for Burn, should have something posted within 24 hours, over half way done. ^.^
    Great! Having Peter Rottens red text warning us that we will be moderated if we discuss X card is a pretty bad opening (no offense Rotten). Burn deserves a proper Primer.

Jan 2013
    winter park, FL

I played burn in vintage about...11 years ago. It was always fun to beat powered decks with the cheapest deck ;) here what I had then:
    4 lightning bolt
    4 fireblast
    4 flame rift
    4 chain lightning
    4 reckless abandon
    2 price of progress (there were mono colored decks)
    2 fork
    1 wheel of fortune (vintage)
    1 mana clash( ;) )

2 cursed scroll

4 ball lightning
    4 grim lavamancer(had to wait until he was printed)
    2 jackal pup (there wasn't goblin guide)
    2 raging goblin (turn 1 attacker was actually good)

1 stripmine
    19 mountain
    SB
    4 Red elemental blast
    2 price of progress
    3 Nevinyrral's Disk
    2 breaking point
    2 active volcano
    2 anarchy

I loved ball lightning + reckless abandon and fireblast+fork. Combo-ish stuff was fun.
    Hope someone enjoys this blast from the past :)

Quote Originally Posted by JPettie View Post
    I think it is an interesting idea for sure, although I have a couple concerns. I believe goblin guide is worth a 4 of just for the fact that a turn 1 goblin guide can mean winning on the 4th turn or not. I can see the reason for not including Grim Lavamancer but if your meta is very creature heavy, it can be useful but I can see it being taken out completely. I like the idea of running fetches, if only for Barbarian ring and Searing Blaze because it increases our damage in the long run. I would almost suggest running a 2nd Barbarian ring and lowering the land numbers. If we are not running any 3 cost spells like Sulfuric Vortex, I would lower the land count to 18-19 (including 2 Barbarian Ring). As much as I would love to splash and I always think about it, I just find it really scary knowing you could easily just lose to a Wasteland. I think having to know when to Fireblast is hard enough on top of including Shard Volley, maybe it is just my deck though because I run 3 Sulfuric Vortex and worry about drawing them when I'm at 4 mountains and want to Fireblast. I think Boros Charm is definitely a cool idea but I don't know if it is worth it yet to include Plateau and risk being beat by Wasteland to run it just yet. Searing Blaze can be an issue with 8 fetches as well, I would suggest going to 12 to support 4 mainboard. I prefer Sulfuric Vortex over Skullcrack a lot and I just wouldn't run a 2 for 3 unless it did something extremely good for us, and maybe that is where we can have the thought of maybe running Magma Jet to make our draws better. It is difficult to find enough spells in my opinion that seem great for our strategy. I like Goblin Guide over all creatures and I just don't see a reason not to include him, even if he can make draws awkward late in the game. I find he is very annoying to a lot of players who just don't have a great amount of removal mainboard. To contribute though, I think I could see running something like this with no creatures:

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Fireblast
    4 Price of Progress
    3 Shrapnel Blast

4 Chain Lightning
    4 Rift Bolt
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Flame Rift

3 Sulfuric Vortex
    3 Ankh of Mishra
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Ensnaring Bridge

20 Mountain

Maybe I am just crazy though and want to make Shrapnel Blast work too much, I would only run Ankh of Mishra though if I had no fetches, and Ensnaring Bridge could just not be included for another Sensei's Divining Top, or maybe making our next draws better just isn't good in a very well drawing deck anyway.
    Well if you are going to run Shrapnel Blast atleast run Great Furnace.
    Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    baghdadbob, you're Team Scrubbad's spirit animal.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Wow, talk about a resurrection. I thought this thread was dead now that we have the newer one.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Wow, talk about a resurrection. I thought this thread was dead now that we have the newer one.
    Next time, do all the work :p

Here's the new one:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...imer-Deck-Burn

Jan 2012
    Texas

I just took 3rd place in a Legacy Tournament of 19 players 2 weeks ago. Biggest issue was Stoneforge/Batterskull variants. 14 out of 19 were of some Stoneforge build. Every game was a rush for the win but nothing horrid. My worst match up was a UW Stoneforge/Batterskull Control build. To much control to get through before batterskull was dropped.

This was my build at that tournament:

3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Vexing Devil
    4 Goblin Guide

4 Lighting Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Fireblast

2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Arid Mesa
    12 Mountain

Side Board
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Shattering Spree
    3 Smash to Smithereens
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Sulfuric Vortex

Match ups were:
    Game 1 vs Canadian Thresh GUr 2-1 win me
    Game 2 vs Maverick 2-0 win me
    Game 3 vs UW StoneBlade 1-2 lose me
    Game 4 vs Jund 2-1 win me
    Game 5 vs High Tide w/Candlesticks (Agreed to Draw our Match)
    Game 6 vs UW StoneBlade (Same one from game 3) 0-2 lose me

After a few changes my current build is:

3 Grim Lavamancer
    4 Vexing Devil
    4 Goblin Guide

4 Lighting Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Lava Spike
    4 Magma Jet
    4 Flame Rift
    4 Price of Progress
    4 Rift Bolt
    3 Fireblast
    1 Thunderous Wrath

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Arid Mesa
    9 Mountain

Side Board
    4 Skullcrack
    4 Smash to Smithereens
    3 Blood Moon
    3 Sulfuric Vortex
    1 Thunderous Wrath

Main Board:
    1 additional burn spell with thunderous wrath with a 1:5 (miracles cost:damage ratio), and 2 additional fetch for Grim Lavamancer on the main board.
    Side Board:
    I found that Smash to Smithereens is the best at keeping Batterskull on his feet. Skullcrack and Sulfuric Vortex stop the life gain while still insuring damage to your opponent.

My local meta runs around 12-15 Stoneforge decks. So understand the one sidedness of the sideboard.

Ive actually settled upon Burn as my first Legacy deck to play while I build Deathblade. Anyone know any decent video primers explaining some of the intricacies of the deck? I know if looks simple to pilot but has many complex decisions and if I'm playing a deck I want to play it well!

Thread Information