Thread: Reanimation Suite

May 2007
    R.I.T

Reanimation Suite

The creatures in the graveyard are: Karmic Guide, Kiki-Jiki, and Sky Hussar.

Reanimate Karmic Guide, return Kiki-Jiki to play. Target the Guide with Kiki, and use the copy to return Sky Hussar. That untaps Kiki, who you use to target the Sky Hussar. Make many tokens, and swing.

What interrupts this and why? Does killing the Guide when you return Kiki-Jiki stop chain of events?

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Reanimation Suite

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal-kun View Post
    The creatures in the graveyard are: Karmic Guide, Kiki-Jiki, and Sky Hussar.

Reanimate Karmic Guide, return Kiki-Jiki to play. Target the Guide with Kiki, and use the copy to return Sky Hussar. That untaps Kiki, who you use to target the Sky Hussar. Make many tokens, and swing.

What interrupts this and why? Does killing the Guide when you return Kiki-Jiki stop chain of events?
    Killing the guide when you target Kiki-Jiki in your graveyard would stop the combo. As well as, killing the Guide after it is targeted by Kiki-Jiki would stop the combo. As would killing anything that Kiki-Jiki's ability is targeting. If the target becomes invalid, Kiki-Jiki's ability is countered on resolution.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

You can also kill Kiki-Jiki with Sky Hussar's untap trigger on the stack after the copied Karmic Guide brings Sky Hussar back into play. This isn't a great solution, as it still leaves you with a Karmic Guide, a Karmic Guide copy, and a Sky Hussar on the board, but if your only immediate solution is, say, Blue Elemental Blast, it's good to know.

This actually won me a game one time with Landstill when in defiance of all probability (And thanks to Duress) I had no other way to break the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    You can also kill Kiki-Jiki with Sky Hussar's untap trigger on the stack after the copied Karmic Guide brings Sky Hussar back into play.
    It's probably better, just in case, to hit the Kiki-Jiki with the Karmic Guide copy's ability on the stack targetting Sky Hussar. Who knows what sort of randomness you're (un)likely to see (Momentary Blink?) and you might as well play around it if you can. The board state, 49 times out of 50, will end up exactly the same, but there's no reason not to play optimally.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man
    hit the Kiki-Jiki with the Karmic Guide copy's ability on the stack targetting Sky Hussar.
    Would Karakasing Kiki-Jiki at the very same point also stop the chain?
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Would Karakasing Kiki-Jiki at the very same point also stop the chain?
    Yes. Here's the sequence of events:

Reanimate targets Karmic Guide. Removing Karmic Guide stops the combo. Assume this resolves

Karmic Guide comes into play and triggers, targetting Kiki-Jiki. Removing Kiki-Jiki stops the combo, and the opponent is left with Karmic Guide in play. Killing or bouncing Karmic Guide stops the combo, but leaves Kiki-Jiki untapped in play, which you may or may not want (i.e. they probably can't pay the upkeep on Karmic Guide, but Kiki-Jiki has no upkeep, so he'll stick around.) Assume this resolves.

Kiki-Jiki comes into play, and active player receives priority. He taps Kiki-Jiki and targets Karmic Guide with his ability. Killing Kiki-Jiki right now is bad (the copy of Karmic Guide will reanimate him, only to make another copy) but this is the point when you want to Karakas him. Killing or bouncing Karmic Guide here leaves the opponent with a tapped Kiki-Jiki, which is at least better than an untapped Kiki-Jiki. Assume this resolves.

A copy of Karmic Guide comes into play, and its ability triggers, targetting Sky Hussar. Removing Sky Hussar stops the combo, but the opponent will have Karmic Guide, hastey Karmic Guide, and tapped Kiki-Jiki in play. If you kill Kiki-Jiki now, the opponent is left with Karmic Guide, hastey Karmic Guide, and Sky Hussar, but it's the only place where you can simply bolt Kiki-Jiki to stop the combo.

In short, if you have disruption, here's the times to hit:

Graveyard Removal- Remove Karmic Guide in response to reanimate

Bounce- Bounce Karmic Guide in response to targetting Kiki-Jiki in the yard

Karakas- Bounce Kiki-Jiki in response to him targetting Karmic Guide

Black Removal- Kill Kiki-Jiki in response to the Karmic Guide copy targetting Sky Hussar.

Blue Elemental Blast- Kill Kiki-Jiki in response to the Karmic Guide copy targetting Sky Hussar.

Non-Black Removal- Kill Karmic Guide in response to Kiki-Jiki targetting him the first time

Red Elemental Blast- This can't stop the combo, but kill Sky Hussar in response to his CIP ability. The opponent might pass or something.

Stifle- Stifle the first Karmic Guide's trigger.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Damn, I had heard of the combo before, but wasn't totally sure how it worked. I can picture myself watching that go down right in front of me like a deer caught in the headlights all the while holding Stonecloakers/StP's in hand, untapped Karakas on the board, and feeling like a total ass afterwards.

Thank you for the detailed explanation!
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Thread Information