Thread: Worlds Metagame Predictions

Hybrid View

Worlds Metagame Predictions

The title says it all:

1. What metagame do you expect in the Legacy portion of Worlds 2007?

2. Most played deck?

3. Most successful deck (win ratio)?

4. Breakout deck or special tech?

5. Top 8?

---

My predictions:

1. Mostly straight aggro and aggro-control, some combo, almost no control

2. Threshold, red splash

3. Ichorid

4. White Stax and B/G Elves will surprise some people, it will also be interesting to see what Herberholz/Nassif will bring

5. 2 Thresh, 2 Ichorid, 1 Stax, 1 Goblin, 1 Storm Combo, 1 Rogue

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Re: Worlds Metagame Predictions

1. Mostly aggro-control, and fast combo (TES/Belcher/Ichorid), some aggro, some Landstill type decks. Few goblins, and many rogue decks.

2. Threshold

3. Goblins/TES (metagmae isn't hating on either, good chance for a top8, but I predict niether deck will be played much)

4. Deck: I predict many Thresh decks will have upsets due to crystalline elves early on. Tech: Thorn of Amethyst and CB will win many games, and the re-emergance of Enforcer in Thresh will allow it to (possibly) beat goblins.

5.2 Thresh , white splash (SB teeg helps with storm and grave combo while enforcer is bomb in the mirror)
    1 Breakfast
    1 Landstill
    1 Goblin
    1 Storm Combo
    1 Stompy deck (most likely Dragon or Faerie)
    1 Rogue
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

1. Little aggro; what there will be of it, will be black-based. Tons of aggro-control, because pros love having options. Some combo, mostly TES or Breakfast (no Belcher or Solidarity). Control will be played by pros who spend more time learning about the format.

2. Counting all variants together, Threshold. Much like Boros in Extended last year, it's a Tier 1 deck with a proactive strategy, and as such a sound choice for people with little experience of the format.

3. The decks that wreck aggro-control: board control, Loam decks, Ichorid. However, it will be hard for them to never face an auto-loss matchup and thus meet the stringent requirements for Top 8.

4. Whatever twist on control Wafo-Tapa pulls together. Some Japanese will also make a cool combo or midrange deck that will be all the rage for two weeks.

5. 2 Threshold, 1 BWGoyf, 2 Landstill, 1 Chalice Aggro, 1 Breakfast, 1 Loam.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

I kind of expect the French players to be bringing Aluren.

Also, predicting a T8 is basically pointless, seeing as how the T8 Legacy decks won't end up in elimination rounds against each other. There won't be any of the typical draws occuring like there would be before the cut to the T8.

Seeing which decks go undefeated through 5 rounds of Legacy play will be more interesting (though less fun to try and predict).

EDIT: Breakout Deck/Tech, something with Pernicious Deed in it.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

I'm predicting that the pros are smart, and realize that with Legacy being a (relatively) underdeveloped and underscrutinized format, they can get better mileage out of working on it than the others. This is the freakin' World Championships, so the incentive is definitely there. As such, I'm predicting mad tech.

As for more specific predictions:

- Back to Basics, Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon, Price of Progress, and maybe even Destructive Flow will tear it up.

- People will come prepared with graveyard hate in pretty much every sideboard. Ichorid will flop, as will (to a lesser degree) Breakfast. (This is unless the pros find some amazing new strategy to combat the hate which has eluded everyone else so far, but I doubt it.)

- Storm combo will do badly, because Tarmogoyf will be everywhere, and Tarmogoyf goes very well with other cards which Storm combo hates to see.

- Goblins will gain back some ground in the metagame, but not as much as it has lost.

- Crystalline Elves will see more play than it has (which is approximately none, so this might be a gimme ;).

- People will finally figure out how to best abuse Stifle/Dreadnought, Replenish, and Academy Rector.

- But not Goblin Welder.

- A powerful black-based Loam variant will emerge.

- The best performing archetypes will be control, midrange, and aggro control, followed by aggro, and dedicated combo (not combo control) last.

- The most played colors (in terms of number of decks, not number of cards) will be green, blue, and black (fairly close together), followed by red, and last white. Blue/green and black/green will be the most often paired colors.

- The top eight will include Landstill (possibly a different control deck), Gro/Thresh/Goyf (the name "Threshold" is increasingly inaccurate), Survival with black (and likely Vials), Goblins, 43lands, a red deck with Tombs and Moons, and a B/G(/x) deck that isn't Survival.

Let's see how hard I flop.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

1. What metagame do you expect in the Legacy portion of Worlds 2007?/2. Most played deck?

Mainly Threshold. It's the best deck in the format, one of the most established archetypes and relatively easy to pilot if you're unfamiliar with the format.

Other than that, I expect the other established decks to show up, Goblins, Affinity maybe, Ichorid, Loam, etc.

I believe, that the pros will mostly show up with old established archetypes they already know (like Ichorid, Survival, Loam control, Goblins...) instead of trying something entirely new or playing a relatively unknown deck.

I have witnessed myself how Ichorid can rip through an unprepared metagame at the Dutch Legacy Champs. If people don't play proper hate, Ichorid will storm the tournament.

Illusions/Donate will be back. No, just kidding. I have no idea. Counterbalance will be some good.

5. Top 8?

3 Threshold decks
    1 Ichorid
    1 Survival/ other Control
    1 Goblins (maybe)
    2 Random decks
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

Mostly aggro-control and anti-control. I'm guessing Goyf and/or Counterbalance/Top will be at the heart of a lot of decks. Combo will be there, but like the Flash Hulk GP it's not the best choice for the meta and the Pros will mostly be playing aggro-control, which is.

2. Most played deck?

Threshold with a heavy red splash and probably Counterbalance/Top in the sideboard. The red splash will be at least 8 direct damage (Bolts and Chain Lightning.)

No idea.

Aether Vial in the anti-control shells, which will be U/W or U/B.

5. Top 8?

No idea.

I think many pros will run established decks, they'll prefer decks that they are already somewhat familiar with (Goblins, ********, dredge etc).

I won't predict top 8, the format is not Legacy... and Standard and Draft both contribute to getting there too. I'd like to see one of the returning old players make it tho, be it Budde, Finkel, Maher or someone else.

As for new Deck Tech, I'm curious about what Guillaume Wafo-Tapa, Gabriel Nassif, Mark Herberholz and certain Japanese players will run.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Fuck! I tried to hold back asking a question in this thread and derailing, but this has got me totally confused:

I won't predict top 8, the format is not Legacy... and Standard and Draft both contribute to getting there too.
    Are you guys talking about the Thursday/Saturday Legacy side events here or something else altogether? I was planning on attending these, but if you're all telling me pros are gonna be playing I might as well sit my ass at home then trek into the city. I'd have a better chance winning a gun fight with a butter knife. A rusty butter knife, with a broken handle and the peanut butter jar stuck on the end.

If a mod wants to delete this post, maybe he could just PM me the answer? Sorry to be a pain!
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Fuck! I tried to hold back asking a question in this thread and derailing, but this has got me totally confused:

Are you guys talking about the Thursday/Saturday Legacy side events here or something else altogether? I was planning on attending these, but if you're all telling me pros are gonna be playing I might as well sit my ass at home then trek into the city. I'd have a better chance winning a gun fight with a butter knife. A rusty butter knife, with a broken handle and the peanut butter jar stuck on the end.

If a mod wants to delete this post, maybe he could just PM me the answer? Sorry to be a pain!
    It's unlikely Pros will drop from Worlds to play in the Legacy side events. Those that do drop to play side events will play in the PTQs (non of which are Legacy). If I'm not mistaken the majority of the pros there will be playing it out to try and help the overall standing of the National Team they're on.\

We're talking about the 5 rounds of Legacy portion of the actual Worlds tournament on Friday.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Mostly aggro-control and combo, with the better control players sticking to their roots and a few people playing Goblins

2. Most played deck?

Black Thresh

Goblins - I expect at least two slots to go to the red men.

Goblins, there will be a lot more than people expect

5. Top 8?
    2 Gobs
    2 Thresh
    1 Control
    3 Breakfast/TES
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by freakish777 View Post
    We're talking about the 5 rounds of Legacy portion of the actual Worlds tournament on Friday.
    Oh man, I didn't even realize. I thought Worlds was Standard only hence the confusion. Thanks for clarifying that.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Thread Information