Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worlds Metagame Predictions

Re: Worlds Metagame Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Kronicler View Post
    I have a very reliable source who has informed me that Luis Scott Vargas (he plays at my local shop) as well as the other pros he rolls with are all planning on playing Enchantress. That's right, the US champ will be rocking Enchantress. I can't want to see Lonelybaritone's reaction when he finds out :-D.

Kronicler
    When did you find this out? Also, which dude is he again? I can never keep those guys straight...

Dec 2003
    Dallas Tx, but originally from San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    When did you find this out? Also, which dude is he again? I can never keep those guys straight...

I have a friend that playtests with LSV, I'll try and get confirmation tonight

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Also, which dude is he again? I can never keep those guys straight...
    Luis Scott-Vargas winning GP San Francisco

Paul Cheon winning GP Krakow

As for the actual metagame prediction I'd say we'll have 2 camps. One camp will only want to have a solid record in Legacy hoping to draw in the last 1-2 rounds on the back of a good Limited and Standard performance. On the other side we'll have the guys who hope to sweep Legacy to rescue an average run in the other formats. The former will most likely play Threshold, the latter will play Stormcombo. Between these 2 extremes there'll of course be people who treat Legacy just like the other formats and are looking for a strong result without gambling. These will take whatever they are most comfortable with. I'd say these folks mostly go with Landstill, Aluren or some other Controldeck (Enchantress, Rock etc.).
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdragon View Post
    hoping to draw in the last 1-2 rounds on the back of a good Limited and Standard performance. On the other side we'll have the guys who hope to sweep Legacy to rescue an average run in the other formats.
    Actually, if I'm not mistaken the 2HG portion of Worlds this year doesn't help determine standings for individuals, and instead determines standings of National Teams.

As such, we may see more or less ID's then you're predicting. Personally, I would have liked seeing Legacy not be the last format that determines the individual standings and instead have it be first. This would "force" players to come prepared, as opposed to saying "I'll see how I do in Standard and Draft, and if I do well then I'll just pick an established deck that can 3-1-1 or 2-2-1 me into T8, and if I don't do well in Standard and Draft, then heck I'm out anyways."

Either way, it should be really exciting, as I'm sure the players that are aiming to T8 or that are in the POY race will want to take some risks to try and crack the T8.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

I expect no innovation from pros for our format and Id imagine the most popular choices will be thresh, gobs, and landstill.

If this isnt boring for our community I will be in awe.
    Now playing real formats.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Hey attention is attention.

As for predictions, I think the pros will play it safe, since the Legacy portion comes near the end of the tournament, and players will be risk-adverse in playing wacky decks in order to maximize their odd on making T8.

Since it's not a Legacy tournament (mainly LOR Draft + TS+LOR Standard), I can't imagine they'll devote that much time to breaking the format.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Predicting a top eight is fairly stupid considering that the Legacy rounds merely contribute to the overall Swiss total. Predicting the decks that will go x-0 is a lot more productive, and offhand I can't remember how many there generally are.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Antisocial and Non-Interactive

Dec 2003
    Worc., MA

I think that they're going to treat Legacy just like they treated Extended last year. Play something safe and easy, and hope to get out at 4-2.

What will show up (in order of popularity): Thresh, Goblins, Affinity, Breakfast, Ichorid.

Highest win %: Cephalid Breakfast
    Team Sleight Knight, beating the hell out of Necro since 1996.

I've been killing pimps all day, and I still don't have enough money for that Sword of Light
    What the hell are you playing... GTA:Middle Earth?

If you had a bottle opener on your lightsaber, you might be a redneck Jedi

Refuses to Play Inconsistent Decks
    Oct 2006

It was that guy who plays random ass decks. He played 5/3 at one tourney and last time he was playing UGR thresh with wee dragonots or w/e they are called. He is decently long brown hair that is usually back in a pony tail and rarely if ever comes on friday night. Am I ringing a bell yet?

Kronicler
    Team Info-Ninjas: Catchphrases so secret, I don't even know what they are!

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Thresh
    Goblins
    Ichorid
    Breakfast
    Landstill
    Affinity

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Thresh
    Goblins
    Ichorid
    Breakfast
    Landstill
    Affinity
    Totally agree, I think you might see some Goyf Sligh and Sui black decks show up too. Sui black has been a fav. for a long time and Goyf Sligh is Easy to build and play.
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdragon View Post
    As for the actual metagame prediction I'd say we'll have 2 camps. One camp will only want to have a solid record in Legacy hoping to draw in the last 1-2 rounds on the back of a good Limited and Standard performance.
    On the other side we'll have the guys who hope to sweep Legacy to rescue an average run in the other formats. The former will most likely play Threshold, the latter will play Stormcombo.
    This part is very interesting and I'd like to add a few comments.

Looking at the replies so far, it seems to be the consensus that Threshold is going to be the most played deck.
    Since there will be more people who have an average record in Limited and Standard than people who will play in the Top 8, I suspect that players are far more willing to try out new strategies (assuming of course they have the will to win it all, not just post a solid record).

The format is pretty much open, with Threshold as the consensus top dog. That means rogue strategies with an edge against Threshold will do very well. Something like White Stax will thrive in such a metagame because it has a good Thresh and Combo matchup and people don't pack enough artifact hate.

Another solid pick would be BG Elves like the Feldman/Hill build from GP Columbus. Leyline of the Void is gradually becoming a key card in Legacy, since it is the only card besides Force of Will that can disrupt the opponent on turn 0.
    Leyline affects quite a few strategies, ranging from Threshold, Ichorid, Cephalid Breakfast, Loam decks, Survival, Reanimator to Landstill (Crucible and Monastery) and Iggy Pop.

And yeah, if people don't have Leyline in their board, Ichorid is going to sweep the Legacy portion. It gets even better in Legacy than it was in Extended, where it was heavily metagamed against and still posted solid results.

It's a Trap!
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Ben Lundquist is playing Breakfast. Atleast that is what he said he was going to play.
    Team Sexy

Team E-Z Flo
    Rockin' in the free world.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

So, looks like we have a couple of people doing well with various decks.

Luis Scott Vargas is 6-0 with Enchantress
    Katsuhiro Mori gets there with Baseruption
    Zvi was doing well with a U/W deck that played like Landstill but with Tops
    Raphael Levy was playing Black Threshold to a very good finish

Check out some of the feature matches here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...rlds07/welcome

Some of them are pretty funny.

Refuses to Play Inconsistent Decks
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Deep6er View Post
    Luis Scott Vargas is 6-0 with Enchantress
    Just gotta say, I was right on the money.

Kronicler
    Team Info-Ninjas: Catchphrases so secret, I don't even know what they are!

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Go Dragon Stompy!

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Where can I find the top 8 decks?

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

2 Belcher
    1 4C Threshold
    2 Landstill
    1 3cBlack
    1 PT Junk
    1 Mono-white Stax

;)
    Last edited by kabal; 12-09-2007 at 10:24 AM.
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

Dec 2003
    Dallas Tx, but originally from San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Kronicler View Post
    Just gotta say, I was right on the money.

Kronicler
    Ironically, the person I was going to confirm this with was at worlds.. no wonder he wasn't on AIM.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kabal View Post
    2 Belcher
    1 4C Threshold
    2 Landstill
    1 3cBlack
    1 PT Junk

;)
    2 Belcher? Wow. It seemed like Chalice and Landstill were everywhere. I wonder how those Belcher decks snuck in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Thread Information