Page 1 of 105 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

Bryant Cook

[Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

Last edited by Bryant Cook; 09-25-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Re: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Lotus Petal, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Burning Wish, Lotus Petal, and Chrome Mox.
    This hand has 2 possible choices, a turn one Warrens for 12, or waiting a turn, hoping for a playable spell, and attempting to tendrils for 20 the second option can be dangerous because of drawing dead and being forced to Warrens turn 2. I'll walk through both ways.
    1. Play Petal, Petal, Mox, imprinting Burning Wish, cast both Rituals, and Tutor up the Warrens.

2. Draw. If the draw is any piece of acceleration, your play is Petal, Ritual, Tutor for a new Ritual, Ritual, Ritual, Petal #2, Mox, (Petal, Crit,LED,Mox), Burning Wish getting Tendrils, Tendrils for 20.

In most situations I'd much rather go for the Warrens, because it puts your opponent on FOW/EE/Clasm or lose while the second scenario brings Daze, Stifle and Discard into the equation.

Brainstorm, Brainstorm, Orim’s Chant, Dark Ritual, Cruel Bargain, Lotus Petal and Chrome Mox.

Petal, Ritual, Bargain. Draw into Burning Wish, SSG, LED, Rite. Mox imprinting Brainstorm, Brainstorm into Mox, Infernal, Paradise, Putting back Chant, Infernal. Mox for storm, Paradise, RFG SSG, LED, Rite, Wish-> Tendrils, Tendrils for 20.

Simian Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide, Ill-Gotten Gains, Ponder, Lotus Petal, Lion’s Eye Diamond and City of Brass.

Land, Ponder (Land, Land, Wish), Draw Wish, SSG, SSG, LED, Petal, Wish, Warrens for 10.

Lion’s Eye Diamond, Rite of Flame, Simian Spirit Guide, Gemstone Mine, Dark Ritual, Infernal Tutor, and Infernal Tutor.

This is an easy one. SSG Rite of Flame, Ritual, Land, Ritual, Infernal for LED Number 2 with BBR floating, LED, LED, Infernal number 2, IGG loop for the win.

Gemstone Mine, Undiscovered Paradise, Chrome Mox, Ponder, Diminishing Returns, Dark Ritual, and Ill-Gotten Gains.
    In this hand, I attempted to go turn 1 ponder, Turn 2 Dreturns with the ability to float B. I drew about 4 tutors off of Returns and fizzled.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Bryant, I love the "Sample Hands for You" idea. Thanks for the update.

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

Why is a new thread created? It seems like the Solidarity thread is doing just fine with 100 pages. Also I just made a post I hoped getting some response to and now nobody will look at the other thread anymore .

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by matelml View Post
    Why is a new thread created? It seems like the Solidarity thread is doing just fine with 100 pages. Also I just made a post I hoped getting some response to and now nobody will look at the other thread anymore .
    Why not simply cut and past that post here? I bet more ppl will be looking at a new, cleaned up thread anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten View Post
    Why not simply cut and past that post here? I bet more ppl will be looking at a new, cleaned up thread anyway.
    Ok

I made top 8 at the Belgian Championship (129 players) with TES yesterday with 5-1-2. Only lost in T8 from Dragonstompy (main Chalice+3sphere can hurt). The draws were ID's against UWb Landstill and some mono R aggresive Control when I was 5-0-1 anyway. The metagame was really good for me, the most played decks was Loam I think, after that Thresh hybrids and then pretty much anything, including a fair amount of Aggro, much Board Control, and some Landstill.
    There was another TES deck with 5-2, and there was one that was 4-0-1 the last time I checked it, but probably lost the rounds after that.

My list was a little different from the one I came in 2nd with at the Dutch Championship. The changes were: -1 Tomb of Urami, -2 EtW, -1 Chrome Mox, -Sb Rough//Tumble, +1 Tarnished Citadel, +2 Ponder, +1 Simian Spirit Guide, +1 Sb Ponder.

The whole decklist:

4 Orim's chant

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-gotten Gains
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Empty the Warrens

4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Plunge into Darkness
    3 Ponder

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Tarnished Citadel

Sideboard:

1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-gotten Gains
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Ponder
    4 Duress
    4 Xantid Swarm

I was happy with the changes and the whole decklist except for the Ponder Sb. I knew it wouldn't be very good, but I thought Rough//Tumble was worse. But it's probably a little better, I am still searching for a good wishable card or something that matters when you board it in once.
    The reasoning for the SSG was that having double Mox always sucks.
    I added the Ponders because it gives you more options and doesn't force you to go for tokens and I found the EtW would often be a dead card.
    Because I have 4 Brainstorm, 3 Ponder and 4 Chant I decided to take out Tomb for something that can cast those spells. It was good and I never had a problem with the life, I even Ponderd off it turn 1 against Goyf sligh and it didn't matter at all. Remember you can use for free colorless mana.

I believe this to be the almost optimal list. I can only imagine Cabal Ritual to be a little less good in some metas, because in my meta there is usually a lot of Pikula/Pox/MBAggro. So I would like to hear your opinions and criticisms.

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Hey Bryant. I was wondering if you could answer my question on the old thread about sideboarding against dedicated control (Like Landstill...Standstill REALLY hurts). Basically, I want to bring in 4x Pyroblasts and 2x Abeyances, but I can't decide what to brng out.

Ok

I made top 8 at the Belgian Championship (129 players) with TES yesterday with 5-1-2. Only lost in T8 from Dragonstompy (main Chalice+3sphere can hurt). The draws were ID's against UWb Landstill and some mono R aggresive Control when I was 5-0-1 anyway. The metagame was really good for me, the most played decks was Loam I think, after that Thresh hybrids and then pretty much anything, including a fair amount of Aggro, much Board Control, and some Landstill.
    There was another TES deck with 5-2, and there was one that was 4-0-1 the last time I checked it, but probably lost the rounds after that.

My list was a little different from the one I came in 2nd with at the Dutch Championship. The changes were: -1 Tomb of Urami, -2 EtW, -1 Chrome Mox, -Sb Rough//Tumble, +1 Tarnished Citadel, +2 Ponder, +1 Simian Spirit Guide, +1 Sb Ponder.

The whole decklist:

4 Orim's chant

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-gotten Gains
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Empty the Warrens

4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Plunge into Darkness
    3 Ponder

4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Cabal Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    3 Chrome Mox
    1 Simian Spirit Guide

4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Tarnished Citadel

Sideboard:

1 Empty the Warrens
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill-gotten Gains
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Grapeshot
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Ponder
    4 Duress
    4 Xantid Swarm

I was happy with the changes and the whole decklist except for the Ponder Sb. I knew it wouldn't be very good, but I thought Rough//Tumble was worse. But it's probably a little better, I am still searching for a good wishable card or something that matters when you board it in once.
    The reasoning for the SSG was that having double Mox always sucks.
    I added the Ponders because it gives you more options and doesn't force you to go for tokens and I found the EtW would often be a dead card.
    Because I have 4 Brainstorm, 3 Ponder and 4 Chant I decided to take out Tomb for something that can cast those spells. It was good and I never had a problem with the life, I even Ponderd off it turn 1 against Goyf sligh and it didn't matter at all. Remember you can use for free colorless mana.

I believe this to be the almost optimal list. I can only imagine Cabal Ritual to be a little less good in some metas, because in my meta there is usually a lot of Pikula/Pox/MBAggro. So I would like to hear your opinions and criticisms.
    4 Cabal Rituals and 0 Draw 4s?

I don't understand the reasoning for cutting Simian Spirit Guide for Cabal Ritual when the deck has problems with resolving Orim's Chant on the combo turn, which is where Simian Spirit Guide is worthwhile in producing the R for Right of Flame or Burning Wish and where Cabal Ritual is worthless.

I'd rather run 4xTinder Wall instead of Simian Spirit Guide, if there's a problem with Simian Spirit Guide, at least it gives the deck another 1 drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Hey Bryant. I was wondering if you could answer my question on the old thread about sideboarding against dedicated control (Like Landstill...Standstill REALLY hurts). Basically, I want to bring in 4x Pyroblasts and 2x Abeyances, but I can't decide what to brng out.
    How I sideboarded for Threshold in the opening post is pretty much how I sideboard vs. Everything.

@Matelml- Why 4 Cabal Ritual and 0 Draw 4's? They're absolutely bombtastic, atleast test them. They're a lot better than Plunge into Darkness. 3 Chrome Mox and 1 Simian Spirit Guide seems weak, along with 11 lands. Test my last list then yours, after that compare weaknesses and strengths. By the looks of it mine will run smoother.

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006

Ok, I'll copy your list and play with it against my friends. Against them I can't test everything but I can play against 4C Landstill, Meathooks, Threshhold, 4C Fish, Solidarity, Elves!, MUC, Loam. Obviously not all the best MU's, but good enough for testing.
    The reason I play 4 Cabal Ritual and 1 SSG is that it actually happens enough that I have Threshhold to be relevent cause of my meta and if you play 4 SSG I thnk it will lower your ability to create 9 storm significantly, especially since you can't return it with IGG. It does ofcourse happen I need R so I was already in doubt wether to play 1 SSG/4Cabal or 2 SSG/3Cabal. In the end I opted for the former. Remember I play 1 extra 5C land, which helps and extra Ponder, which also finds colored sources. I understand extra cantrips will slow you down, but I think it's worth it because many times you won't need the speed and then the consistancy is very nice.

About Chant, in most MU's you don't have to Chant during your turn and can use it as a timewalk. However in the other MU's it is very important to play, but these MU's tend to be a little slower so I can usually just wait untill I have enough colored sources, if I don't already. I understand this isn't prefered cause of the chance they will draw more disruption, but it seems to work fine. Again I will try your list. Ofcourse I tried it all before but not that exact configuration, just the ideas apart and now I will try a little more extensive.

About the Draw4's: I tried them briefly, but I think they are not good enough, they are ok, but not great. I played a long time without Plunge, but added them again, because if you play him correctly he is very strong. I usually prefer 1 LED/Dark Ritual or Wish/Tutor over 4 random cards that you need to invest acceleration in. Yes, you will usually win if it resolves, but it's harder to cast and with Plunge I am more certain I will win next turn. Another pro is that it finds Chant and what also happens is these hands that have LED, Plunge + Accel. Then you can make mana, play Plunge, sac LED and go for 1st turn EtW or what happened at the Belgium Champs, ToA for 20 1st turn. Also the lifeloss, is way more relevant with the draw4's cause you usuallu need to pass the turn. I will see, but maybe you can try this configuration too.

Edit: The 3 Chrome Moxes seem fairly obvious to me, it's just always bad to have 2. It's not even important to have 1, so I don't see the problem. People gave arguments against it like "it's a neccesary evil" and "It's vital to be fast enough". That seems like speculation and is pretty hard to argue against. Adding 1 SSG over 1 Mox is just almost always better, except for some lists when you don't feel like being diqualified. So if you are already playng 4 SSG, then I am not sure what to do, I am testing that now.

I also played TES at Belgian Championship, probably the one you saw at 4-0-1, and i ended up 5-1-1, finishing just outside T8 (resistance). My only loss was against landstill and the draw was intentional, but it didn't have the effect I hoped for.

I played about the same list as wastedlife, but with dark confidant in stead of ponders and draw4's. I was very satisfied with them, but if I expected less control I would probably play the draw4's.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Last edited by Volt; 10-12-2008 at 05:39 AM.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    My only suggestions would be Deathmark and Goblin War Strike for the sideboard.
    Deathmark I can see, but really Goblin War Strike just seems like win more to me. If you EtW, odds are you have enough Goblins to win anyway. Lots of damage from a spell that costs is pretty nifty, but hardly necessary.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Dec 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Deathmark I can see, but really Goblin War Strike just seems like win more to me. If you EtW, odds are you have enough Goblins to win anyway. Lots of damage from a spell that costs is pretty nifty, but hardly necessary.
    The thing with War Strike is, that it enables you a faster kill, which sometimes could be needed to outrun opposing creatures or just to kill your opponent before he/she is able to drop EE or Deed. IMO The War Strike is a possible card for the board but not a must play.

It´s just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

I played four tournaments with TES now and my record in matches is 15-2-2 . I´m really happy about it and will continue winning with it :) THe only question i have if the Contract in the SB is really needed cause i only wished it once to outdraw a counter where duress would have done the same job. Are there any options i could play maybe against Discard cause i have to face it 2-3 times per tourney. My current SB is:
    3 Xantid Swarm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 EtW
    1 iggy
    1 Returns
    1 Tendrils
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Duress
    1 Contract
    1 Tranquility
    1 SHattering Spree
    1 Cave-In

Maybe another Spree? What do you think? How often do you play wish on contract?

NQN

Dec 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    I played four tournaments with TES now and my record in matches is 15-2-2 . I´m really happy about it and will continue winning with it :) THe only question i have if the Contract in the SB is really needed cause i only wished it once to outdraw a counter where duress would have done the same job. Are there any options i could play maybe against Discard cause i have to face it 2-3 times per tourney. My current SB is:
    3 Xantid Swarm
    2 Pyroblast
    1 EtW
    1 iggy
    1 Returns
    1 Tendrils
    1 Pyroclasm
    1 Duress
    1 Contract
    1 Tranquility
    1 SHattering Spree
    1 Cave-In

NQN
    This board looks a little weird to me. Only 2 blasts and a Cave-In in addition to clasm? I think best way here would be replaycing the Cave-In with a blast and if you don't like the Contract at all, a second Spree isn't bad, i did it the same way, because I never wished for it, too. As Bryant already said as a one-of Thoughtseize is better then duress cause of its ability to hit creatures as well, these 2 Life should not be relevant.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    Burning Wish for Contract is one of my most common plays since it's one of the deck's strongest cards. I personally feel that you need them maindeck and sideboard since it allows you to recover against discard and control. It also ups the storm count dramatically so that you don't have to Returns or Ill-Gotten Gains. Playing too many pyroclasm effects in the sideboard is redundant and unnecessary one of these should definitely be a blast. 2 Shattering Spree is weak, if you're going to play more than one the number should be 3.

As for Goblin War Strike, I like it in builds with 3 ETW maindeck so that the card could actually be used. But even back then I only used it once every twenty or so games. I really think it's a win more, with Burning Wish for Duress to hit their deed or EE it's somewhat like the same card. Although, I'm using thoughtseize now.

Banned

May 2007
    jersey

I don't find myself wishing for contract all to often either. I like it though as it's something to board in against discard decks for chant. Its also something you do wish for once in a while. I remember running goblin war strike for about 3 months and not wishing for it once in tourny play or testing.

Hello everyone. I would just like to say the deck is great and I love goldfishing with it!!!

Since Orims chant is way out of my budget I just use 4 duress in its stead. Now may I ask in what ways is chant superior since duress can also bait counters, disrupt combo decks and is a better mox imprint than chant. Also can I ask for other suggestions to the slots dedicated to chant other than duress

More power to T.E.S.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kokusho View Post
    Hello everyone. I would just like to say the deck is great and I love goldfishing with it!!!

Since Orims chant is way out of my budget I just use 4 duress in its stead. Now may I ask in what ways is chant superior since duress can also bait counters, disrupt combo decks and is a better mox imprint than chant. Also can I ask for other suggestions to the slots dedicated to chant other than duress

More power to T.E.S.!!!
    Situation 1:

You Duress an opponent who has Underground Sea, Tundra untapped and 2 cards in hand. Both are Counterspell. You take counterspell and attempt to combo out. They still Counterspell a ritual or a business spell.

You Chant an opponent who has Underground Sea, Tundra untapped and 2 cards in hand. Both cards are still Counterspell, but now an opponent can either counter Chant and lose to resolved rituals and business, or let Chant resolve and lose to resolves rituals and business.

Situation 2:

You Duress an opponent and take their only Counterspell. You now cast Ill-Gotten Gains or Diminishing Returns. Your opponent returns/draws a Counterspell and uses it. You lose.

You Chant an opponent and they use two mana to Counterspell. Now, you cast an Ill-Gotten Gains or Diminishing Returns. Your opponent now has less mana to cast further counterspells because they were forced to counter chant

Situation 3:

You resolve Duress and see no Counters. You cast Ill-Gotten Gains or Diminishing Returns and your opponent returns/draws a counterspell. Now you need mana for another Duress and a Duress to go off safely, assuming of course they didn't draw two Counterspells.

You resolve Chant and see no Counters. You can now freely cast Ill-Gotten Gains or Diminishing Returns without fear of an opponent drawing into something to stop you.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Thread Information