Page 2 of 105 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

It´s just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Re: [Deck] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

I don´t tink Seize is better than duress because you won´t play Turn 1 Wish at seize just because you might hit a meddling mage and if you do it later they will always play they`re mage b4 you can discard it. I added 2 Clasm because sometimes it happens that i need a sweeper NOW and don`t have the mana to cast wish and clasm but sometimes i just need to kill Gaddock Teegs. I play 2 Blasts because i don´t want to board 6 Cards out against U Control since 9 cards seems enough to me.
    NQN

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    I don´t tink Seize is better than duress because you won´t play Turn 1 Wish at seize just because you might hit a meddling mage and if you do it later they will always play they`re mage b4 you can discard it. I added 2 Clasm because sometimes it happens that i need a sweeper NOW and don`t have the mana to cast wish and clasm but sometimes i just need to kill Gaddock Teegs. I play 2 Blasts because i don´t want to board 6 Cards out against U Control since 9 cards seems enough to me.
    NQN
    Thoughtsieze is better than Duress because you can hit Cephalid Breakfast combo pieces. Breakfast is a bad match-up you want to do anything you can to improve it. Also, we don't care about Meddling Mage we care about other creatures like Gaddeck Teeg. Here's an example. Land go, Land go. land pitch SSG Burning Wish, Thoughtsieze out Gaddeck Teeg and/or problematic card. Two Clasm effects is redundant and unnecessary and I stand by it. Blast destroy's counterbalance and Meddling Mage, Blast is one of the reasons we don't care about the magi. I'm not going to argue SBing against control it's pointless.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

I got almost all the cards that I need to play this deck. Can you post an updated list for reference?
    “THROUGH me you pass into the city of woe, through me you pass into eternal pain, Through me among the people lost for aye.
    Justice the founder of my fabric moved, to rear me was the task of Power divine, Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
    Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure.
    All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” - Inferno

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

Just look at the first page, it's a fairly recent list.

It´s just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

In your example,Bryant, the Opponent also got 2 Lands so he will play Gaddock Teeg b4 you will hit it with Seize. But because i love you deck I will add Thoughtseize for the next 70+ Tournament and post my results then :) Do you still play the Extract btw?
    NQN

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    In your example,Bryant, the Opponent also got 2 Lands so he will play Gaddock Teeg b4 you will hit it with Seize. But because i love you deck I will add Thoughtseize for the next 70+ Tournament and post my results then :) Do you still play the Extract btw?
    NQN
    In the example, you're on the play so you have 2 lands to their 1. Nope on extract. After the winter wonderland event tomorrow I'll post the last 2 list I've been using. The list that I got 2nd with at the Comix Zone event and the list from the states event.

Bryant Cook

Re: [DTW] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Alright, I ended up 2nd at Comix Zone's end of the year event. Then at the main event of the Winter Wonderland I ended 4-2 (respectable but not good in my eyes), then 5-0 taking first in the side event. I've been messing around with the SB a lot lately, nothing to the maindeck (Besides name changes [For Example: 2 Infernal Contract, no Bargain]).

Sideboard for Comix Zone
    SB:1 Diminishing Returns
    SB:1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB:1 Cruel Bargain
    SB:1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB:1 Empty the Warrens
    SB:4 Thoughtsieze
    SB:1 Pyroclasm
    SB:1 Shattering Spree
    SB:1 Red Elemental Blast
    SB:3 Pyroblast

Winter Wonderland Event
    SB:1 Thoughtsieze
    SB:1 Tranquility
    SB:2 Abeyance

4x Thoughtseize at all times was just meh, it wasn't needed and barely helped if at all over Chant. I lost a match because I couldn't timewalk with Chant. I also missed the additional Chant effect in Xantid or Abeyance in the sideboard.

Apr 2007
    Paris, France

I play a 48 players tournaments in paris.

For this tournament, I decide to play TES, deck that I play since quite some time, further to the first post of Wastedlife on the source. I knew already well the mechanics of this kind of deck with IGGy pop whom I had played in tournaments last year.

Then first of all the list:

// Lands
    2 [VI] Undiscovered Paradise
    4 [TSB] Gemstone Mine
    4 [8E] City of Brass

// Creatures
    4 [PLC] Simian Spirit Guide

// Spells
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    4 [DIS] Infernal Tutor
    4 [CS] Rite of Flame
    1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
    4 [MI] Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 [TE] Lotus Petal
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox
    1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    4 [JU] Burning Wish
    1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    4 [PS] Orim's Chant
    4 [MM] Dark Ritual
    1 [AL] Diminishing Returns
    2 [MI] Infernal Contract
    2 [TO] Cabal Ritual
    2 [LRW] Ponder

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [TSP] Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 [US] Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB: 1 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 [AL] Diminishing Returns
    SB: 1 [MI] Infernal Contract
    SB: 1 [GP] Shattering Spree
    SB: 1 [IN] Tranquility
    SB: 1 [US] Duress
    SB: 3 [IA] Pyroblast
    SB: 1 [U] Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 [SC] Xantid Swarm
    SB: 1 [IA] Pyroclasm

It is the last list of Wastedlife which seemed to me powerful, capable of hyperbrokens turn 1 and that I played since Christmas. Before, I played with the version with 4 dark confidant who bit very well too. With the time maybe whom this last one would have been better...

Round 1: Mathieu with Affinity

1/I lose the D-roll. The first one is a party of health: Etw to 12 with a hand of departure ITx2, IGG, rite of flame, Chrome-plates mox x2, city. T2, I plays Burning wish for thougseize which removes a mitraine, The ultimate luck for him to survive. 1-0
    2/The second is the beginning of my misfortune: I mulligan to 5 because of full hand of tutor or with land / mox. I manage to leave in an ETW in 10 to spare time, but he has atog, 2 orni, mitraine, cranial, a land(ground) blue arto and nexus. He can block and kill me with the orni equiped. Ouch ! 1-1
    3/And it restarted for a muligan to 5 (wholesale even reason as the party. I keep a hand which allows me to look for SS to slow down him. He play me a land and an arto lorwin which allows to make mana. In my turn, I crack his both arto, but next he puts follower and leaves too fast. 1-2 begin well...

0-1-0

Round 2: Benoît (kyros) with a BR aggro

1/I loses the D-roll. I leave T3 with 12 gob. He has disto and dark confidant. He bit me very fast with Blood Lust and ends me in my turn 4 in spite of the kicked orim's Chant in his turn 3 with 2 incinerate. (a draw4 bit me too). 0-1 pffff
    2/Fortunately, I begin with a magnificent T2 or 3 tendrils at 24 without that he can make something (draw4 and diminishing returns were magic!) 1-1
    3 / Apothéose: tendril T1 in 30! 2-1
    1-1-0 ( :) the deck operate not so badly)

Round 3: Gilles and his deck helme top.
    My dark beast : I already have lost against him and his deck with Cephalid dreadnought breakfast in Pontoise. We were seated at the neibourgh table round 1: we know what we play.
    1/And he keeps a hand with 2 EE + counterbalance top... he leaves for combo and kills me T2 or 3. 0-1
    I bring in 3 pyroblast, 1 REB and 2 xantid against 2 ponder 2 cabal, and 2 chrome mox.
    2 / I have a hand with 2 pyro, 2 ssg, a burning wish a mox and a land(ground). I decide to keep(guard) to have a possibility of leaving for combo. It is to my opinion the bad choice. I would have had to mulligan because leave for combo faster than I. But it was hard : he play lot of free counterspell too. 0-2

1-2-0

Round 4: Franck (Oups!) with POX discard. (bad MU)

1/I lose the D-roll. He begins by duress T1 then hymn T2, then pox. I reset me a hand with one draw4 but loses on rack in spite of ETW at 10 (not possible to go in tendrils). 0-1
    2/I leave T3 on an ETW in 16 (I said to myself that that would go with so much). He have two creatures but also scroll which, with funeral charm, botch up to me my gob that I kept(guarded) to defense. And kills me with the nezumi transformed into rack... Tendrils would have been better. 0-2
    Even there, my hands were not terrible... So when moreover i am discarded...

1-3-0

I am losing hope. And I fall on Elf that I think of being a good MU.

Round 5: Vincent with elfs.
    1/I lose D-roll (still). He puts essence warden T1. I go in combo T1 with returns and I finish to a storm of 9 with Infernal tutor... But ToA is remove from the game and I haven't enough mana to make BW. So worse: I leave on ETW and give him(her) 20 LP. But I lower him in 8 in two turns of attack and after my last attack, the same turn, I tendril in 8 exactly leaves there. 1-0
    2/I leave with a diminshing returns but dig that 2 draw4 and I fizzle by drawing twice of boils and by staying at 4 LP. 1-1
    3/I have a soft hand which can permit me to leave T3, but he has a broken exit which kills me in combo staff of domination infinity mana, infinity LP + infinity draw up + pfffff 1-2

1-4-0

I am going not to delay to suiscid, but as there is a last round...

Round 6: Gina with elfs (the return!)

1/I lose the D-roll (never luck) and I leave on ETW in 12. I try to restart with gob as to bloqueur, but I fizzle on returns without tutor. The elfs submerges me in spite of 2 of kicked orim's chant to try the topdeck. 0-1
    2/I leave on Tendrils in 38 which tears. 1-1 3/She takes out to me 2 null rod but I have Shatering spree with BW. I leave the next turn on Tendrils in 20.
    2-1

2-4-0

I finished 35th.
    Here is thus one bad tournaments, and I doubtless made errors. I count 2 at least: one against affinity with the spree (I should have waited for a turn) and one against pox when I left for ETW instead of ToA.

Bryant Cook

Here is a great find from Morning Tide, he's a Windfall! This may of broken TES in half giving it Windfall.

Slithermuse
    2UU
    Creature - Elemental (R)
    When Slithermuse leaves play, choose an opponent. If that player has more cards in hand than you, draw cards equal to the difference.
    Evoke 2U
    3/3

Just imagine going turn one play a bunch of acceleration, evoke, crack Lion's Eye Diamond in response draw 7. Who isn't getting hard right now? Here's what I'm proposing.

Lands
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Tarnished Citadel

Creatures
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Spells
    4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Slithermuse
    2 Ponder
    1 Infernal Contract
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens

SB:1 Cleanfall

There's a few other small changes in the list also, but I think this card could be the one to push TES to the limit.

Edit: I'm also debating if we want Ponder anymore, or is it better to have Cabal Ritual?

It's a Trap!
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Here is a great find from Morning Tide, he's a Windfall! This may of broken TES in half giving it Windfall.

Slithermuse
    2UU
    Creature - Elemental (R)
    When Slithermuse leaves play, choose an opponent. If that player has more cards in hand than you, draw cards equal to the difference.
    Evoke 2U
    3/3

Just imagine going turn one play a bunch of acceleration, evoke, crack Lion's Eye Diamond in response draw 7. Who isn't getting hard right now? Here's what I'm proposing.

Lands
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Tarnished Citadel

Creatures
    4 Simian Spirit Guide

Spells
    4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Slithermuse
    2 Ponder
    1 Infernal Contract
    1 Diminishing Returns
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Empty the Warrens

SB:1 Cleanfall

There's a few other small changes in the list also, but I think this card could be the one to push TES to the limit.

Edit: I'm also debating if we want Ponder anymore, or is it better to have Cabal Ritual?
    Nice Find!!!
    What matchups will this card help in? Or is it basically improving every matchup?

Does this card help imrpove the consistency in the deck? It appears that it would help alot because of the chance of drawing more than 4 cards.

I really still like ponder in the deck as you want to be able to find the muse asap but on the other hand cabal ritual helps prior to going off creating a larger difference in hand sizes. It could go either way in which one to cut.
    Team Sexy

Team E-Z Flo
    Rockin' in the free world.

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

I knew as soon as i saw him that he'd catch on.
    I always post over at the STORM Boards, but I forget to post here.

I generally prefer Cabal. My list with Windfall-guy is a little bit different.
    But basically it is yours ...

-1 Chrome Mox
    -2 Ponder

+3 Cabal Ritual

With all the Draw7-ish effects now, I may re-include the 4th Chrome.

EDIT: Yeah it basically improves every matchup. Your good ones are better because you are faster and your control matchups are better because if you fail at going off ... just draw 7! haaha

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

How on earth can you take out a Chrome for Slithermuse? The -only- downside of this card remotely whatsoever is that you have to find Blue Mana to take full advantage of him, and Chrome can be a blue source.

I'll be assembling this deck and learning to play it ASAP, by the way. Slithermuse for the win.

EDIT:

Do you still need the maindeck Diminishing Returns with Slithermuse? I don't know a lot about this deck, but I was under the impression that most of the use of Diminishing Returns maindeck was to grab with Infernal Tutor when you had a Lion's Eye Diamond to provide the blue, or rarely if you managed to get double blue with it in your hand. Wouldn't a fourth maindeck Slithermuse be better in both scenarios?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Tarnished Citadel
    Really?

Isn't Orchard better?
    or a second Paradise

Bryant Cook

Cabal Ritual is better than Ponder in the games I'm goldfishing with this guy.

Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    How on earth can you take out a Chrome for Slithermuse? The -only- downside of this card remotely whatsoever is that you have to find Blue Mana to take full advantage of him, and Chrome can be a blue source.

I'll be assembling this deck and learning to play it ASAP, by the way. Slithermuse for the win.
    I DIDN'T lol, Chrome #4 has been out of my deck for a while now, and actually my win % went up.
    But really with muse in, I think it'll be coming back.

Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    Tarnished Citadel
    Really?

Isn't Orchard better?
    or a second Paradise
    No. No no no.
    Orchard gives them a guy to block your gobs/equip with jitte/sac for therapy.
    Paradise gets very murky in a pair, it also can adversely affect your turns when cantripping.

Oct 2005
    Germany - NRW

Do you really want to have 2 Draw4's for setup and then additional 2 Muse?

It seems like the deck gets more and more the way, that you need way more mana.

First Ponder for the Setup, then Draw4's including Cabal Rituals (which also costs "1 more") and now additional Muse, cutting the Cabal Rituals again?

What about -1 Draw4, -1 Ponder, +2 Muse?

Muse also let's you draw into blind and also draws up to 4 cards.
    Team aYb
    Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
    My mcm-account. Selling overseas

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Is this new Windfall guy really that much better than Meditate? I mean its not often your opponent will just be sitting there with 7 in hand unless its turn 1, usually they will have 5 cards in hand, 6 if youre lucky, in the first few turns. I can see situations where hed be a draw 6-7, but I can also think of a few where hed draw less than Meditate. Good find either way though.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Aside from City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, and Undiscovered Paradise, what other rainbow lands are there? Is Tarnished Citadel really #4 on the list of rainbow lands?

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Aside from City of Brass, Gemstone Mine, and Undiscovered Paradise, what other rainbow lands are there? Is Tarnished Citadel really #4 on the list of rainbow lands?
    Rainbow Vale? (snicker)

Sadly I think it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    Is this new Windfall guy really that much better than Meditate? I mean its not often your opponent will just be sitting there with 7 in hand unless its turn 1, usually they will have 5 cards in hand, 6 if youre lucky, in the first few turns. I can see situations where hed be a draw 6-7, but I can also think of a few where hed draw less than Meditate. Good find either way though.
    He can also be played turn one in a pinch without going off, whereas doing this with Meditate is a risky idea.

I think the "cards in hand" drawback is interesting, as it promotes slightly altering the deck for speed to take full advantage of it. It's worth noting that Diminishing Returns can refill your opponent's hand in a pinch (This occurred to me after I suggested cutting the maindeck one, but I'm still not sure, being kind of new to the deck), letting you chain together multiple draw 7's if you have the mana.

Also, I agree with Wastedlife that with this guy, more mana acceleration is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Thread Information