Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

Oct 2005
    Germany - NRW

Re: [DTW] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Vivid Marsh

Land
    Vivid Marsh comes into play tapped with two charge counters on it.
    {T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
    {T},Remove a charge counter from Vivid Marsh: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

-- All colors available. CipT

Archaeological Dig

Land
    {T}: Add {1} to your mana pool.
    {T},Sacrifice Archaeological Dig: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

--- Can onyl be used 1 time for colored Mana.

Forsaken City

Land
    Forsaken City doesn't untap during your untap step.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove a card in your hand from the game. If you do, untap Forsaken City.
    {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

---

Grand Coliseum

Land
    Grand Coliseum comes into play tapped.
    {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Grand Coliseum deals 1 damage to you

---
    Rainbow Vale

Land
    {T}: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. An opponent gains control of Rainbow Vale at end of turn.

---

Tendo Ice Bridge

Land
    Tendo Ice Bridge comes into play with a charge counter on it.
    {T},Remove a charge counter from Tendo Ice Bridge: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

That's all.
    Team aYb
    Selling my Japanese Legacy Collection. PM me what you need ;)
    My mcm-account. Selling overseas

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Citadel does look to be #4 after City, Gemstone, and Paradise (All circa Mirage block). Wow. Rainbow lands just ain't what they used to be.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    \
    He can also be played turn one in a pinch without going off, whereas doing this with Meditate is a risky idea.
    Yeah thats true, I think the card is better than Meditate, but Im not sure its a great deal better, and no one plays Meditate in TES anymore. This guy looks like hell see play though.

@ Rainbow Lands:

After Undiscovered Paradise it actually goes Tarnished Citadel, then Forbidden Orchard and Forsaken City. Tarnished Citadel is played in extended Dredge decks as the 3rd rainbow land because Dredge really doesnt want the opponent to have a creature (Orchard) or have to pitch a card (Forsaken). TES doesnt want either of these things either, so Tarnished seems like the right choice to me.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

But a Lightning Bolt per use? Jeez...

I remember Forsaken City back in MM/Invasion standard; Rising Waters decks... so boring to play against. Like the 2000-01 Stasis of it's time.

I've been testing Slithermuse for a little while now, and it often feels like a less conditional Draw 4 that can turn into either a Windfall or a Wheel of Fortune with Lion's Eye Diamond. I think Slithermuse replaces Diminishing Returns, Draw 4, Ponder and Cabal Ritual altogether and refocuses the deck on a more aggressive turn one plan with either Slithermuse -> Empty the Warrens or Slithermuse chains.

1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Ill Gotten Gains
    3 Empty the Warrens
    4 Slithermuse
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Orim's Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Right of Flame
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mind
    2 Glimmervoid
    1 Tarnished Citadel

Slithermuse changes the entire approach to TES, you can either turn it into a Draw 7 based deck with out the traditional draw backs of a Draw 7 or use it to refuel after expending resources on an Empty the Warrens. The card does attract Swords to Plowshares and Stifle like a lightning rod, but it "dumbs down" TES a lot and allows it to use Empty the Warrens with disregard for board removal. I'm not 100% sure Diminishing Returns should be cut from the MD, but I don't seem to be Infernal Tutoring for it that often, and Slithermuse is easier to resolve when drawn.

Slithermuse is ridiculous in Belcher with 4 Wild Cantor and 1 Tropical Island if people haven't tried it out there.

Edit: Undiscovered Paradise sucks with 4 Slithermuse, Tarnished Citadel or Glimmervoid gives the deck more consistent turn twos after resolving Slithemuse for X. I'm not whether or not 1/2 or 2/1 is the best configuration, but I'd rather take a lightning bolt to the face or lose a storm count than bounce a land.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Bryant Cook

This guy is conditional don't forget this, this is why we're still playing Diminishing Returns. Also, 11 lands is terrible. 3 ETW? Card is terrible in the metagame lately. I question your list a lot. Glimmervoid, it's not better than Paradise; that too is conditional.

Edit: What I've found really nice is Chanting them, going off with returns, then using Muse. They're forced to have 7 cards! Also, I was testing vs Landstill. He went turn 2 Standstill, I went turn 3 chant you. Draw 10?

Edit 2: Landstill player cast Fact in response to Chant (I'm assuming he's looking for Force), he gets 4 garbage cards and another Fact. I split the piles 5-0, he's like are you sure? Yes. Chant resolved. I drew 12 cards off of a Slithermuse! How does Landstill beat this deck anymore?
    Last edited by Bryant Cook; 01-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.

This guy is conditional don't forget this, this is why we're still playing Diminishing Returns. Also, 11 lands is terrible. 3 ETW? Card is terrible in the metagame lately. I question your list a lot. Glimmervoid, it's not better than Paradise; that too is conditional.
    11 lands has been the standard for Storm combo since the original Long, I prefer 11 lands for the reduced mulligans, tho' 10 lands and Diminishing Returns is acceptable. I fail to see how 11 lands is "terrible" considering that it's a minor variance that leads toward making the deck more consistent at the cost of speed.

Empty the Warrens is what makes Slithermuse such a threat, you can either Slithermuse into Empty the Warrens or cast Empty the Warrens and then recouperate the card disadvantage with Slithermuse on the following turn. With the exception of Landstill, which has cut Stifle and Wasteland, there isn't enough board removal to discourage me from using 3 Empty the Warrens in the main deck and then side boarding them out in the face of resistance. I think Empty the Warrens is a fine card at the moment, because Pyroclasm and co' have left the metagame after the decline of Goblins, making the environment more suitable for Empty the Warrens than it was pre-Flash. 3 Empty the Warrens makes the deck more consistent, especially with 4 Draw Xs, and I'll trade any vulnerability for consistency, because this deck mulligans for shit more often than not.

I can't stand Undiscovered Paradise, drawing it and Brainstorm is an inverse Time Walk, I have less issues with Glimmervoid than Undiscovered Paradise and I run 2 Tarnished Citadels standard at the moment.
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    11 lands has been the standard for Storm combo since the original Long, I prefer 11 lands for the reduced mulligans, tho' 10 lands and Diminishing Returns is acceptable. I fail to see how 11 lands is "terrible" considering that it's a minor variance that leads toward making the deck more consistent at the cost of speed.

Empty the Warrens is what makes Slithermuse such a threat, you can either Slithermuse into Empty the Warrens or cast Empty the Warrens and then recouperate the card disadvantage with Slithermuse on the following turn. With the exception of Landstill, which has cut Stifle and Wasteland, there isn't enough board removal to discourage me from using 3 Empty the Warrens in the main deck and then side boarding them out in the face of resistance. I think Empty the Warrens is a fine card at the moment, because Pyroclasm and co' have left the metagame after the decline of Goblins, making the environment more suitable for Empty the Warrens than it was pre-Flash. 3 Empty the Warrens makes the deck more consistent, especially with 4 Draw Xs, and I'll trade any vulnerability for consistency, because this deck mulligans for shit more often than not.

I can't stand Undiscovered Paradise, drawing it and Brainstorm is an inverse Time Walk, I have less issues with Glimmervoid than Undiscovered Paradise and I run 2 Tarnished Citadels standard at the moment.
    I'm not even going to bother arguing your points, we've done this for ages and we can't agree. I'll just keep putting up results.

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

"The card does attract Swords to Plowshares and Stifle like a lightning rod"

Do note, the card says "leaves play" so StP makes him into a Windfall that gains us life ROFL
    But yes Stifle will stop him.

although I don't play the deck, I do play against it many times(yawg) and looking at slithermuse over d. returns has its ups, but I have seen yawg win because the card he needed got removed and he got a burning wish from returns. I don't know much about it but I always felt it to be good.

to the guy who talked about beating landstill, it doesnt matter if you have 4 cards or 50, if you play chant and it resolves, then you obviously have kill in hand and dont need the cards, unless your just throwing it up there hoping he tries to draw more. Which in my opinion is not that great. This slithermuse isn't going to make your matchup any better, you only beat landstill if you can resolve a chant.(from the landstill player :) )

Bryant Cook

Cutting Returns is a bad idea, for many reasons, sometimes you need to draw 7 cards. Not 3-5, like you would off of Slithermuse (It's not always 7). Sometimes you need to shuffle cards in your opponents hand away (stifle). Slithermuse is terrible against stifle, by the way. You may need that Tendrils in your graveyard and have Infernal Tutor in hand or too many Burning Wishes removed or in the grave. It's very late and I'm tired I'll add on more later.

Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Quote Originally Posted by blac198990 View Post
    This slithermuse isn't going to make your matchup any better, you only beat landstill if you can resolve a chant.(from the landstill player :) )
    You have to think, Nate. I've won when you were tapped out and FoW'd my Chant.
    I basically take it as a "Chant sort of resolved" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by yawg07 View Post
    You have to think, Nate. I've won when you were tapped out and FoW'd my Chant.
    I basically take it as a "Chant sort of resolved" moment.
    yea yea don't get to cocky It's not my fault that every time we play you ALWAYS have a chant.

Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Quote Originally Posted by blac198990 View Post
    yea yea don't get to cocky It's not my fault that every time we play you ALWAYS have a chant.
    rofl I know I know
    I have to against you, lol
    You always have FoW against me :D

I think the clincher is you don't always have Standstill against me, or I'm doing too many things before it comes down.
    Or sometimes you'll have like Stifle/Trickbind/FoW/CSpell in hand and I cant handle it lol

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

Edit: What I've found really nice is Chanting them, going off with returns, then using Muse. They're forced to have 7 cards! Also, I was testing vs Landstill. He went turn 2 Standstill, I went turn 3 chant you. Draw 10?

Edit 2: Landstill player cast Fact in response to Chant (I'm assuming he's looking for Force), he gets 4 garbage cards and another Fact. I split the piles 5-0, he's like are you sure? Yes. Chant resolved. I drew 12 cards off of a Slithermuse! How does Landstill beat this deck anymore?

Diminishing Returns and FoF both leave the choice to draw, they are not forced to. @ this Windfall, if this is true my deck just became tier 1

Quote Originally Posted by yawg07 View Post
    "The card does attract Swords to Plowshares and Stifle like a lightning rod"

Do note, the card says "leaves play" so StP makes him into a Windfall that gains us life ROFL
    But yes Stifle will stop him.
    For some reason I was thinking Rector when I read it, that makes the card a lot better then.

I put the 1 Diminishing Returns back in the MD, Windfall on the draw is just so much worse than being able to Diminishing Returns and Orim's Chant.

@WL, I'm sure more than one version of the deck can be right/wrong based on a given meta game, no configuration or argument is going to remain static forever.

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

I am kind of afraid that with this push TES will be too strong for Wizards likes and LED will be banned. Of course I hope this won't happen but I see the possibility now.

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Is slithermuse really that good? I havn't tested it yet, but it seems often like a worse version of D. Returns, though better on occasion. Also, I can't see running 4. I'd run 3 at most because it's so conditional.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Slithermuse is conditional, in the sense that it would really help when you're already winning, and would really suck when you're losing.

There's also the problem that it's a non-mana card that can't be tutored for.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Just awesome.
    Sep 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

No, I doubt they'll do that. I hate this "omfg, this should be banned" talk, but if someone's getting the hammer, it's Slithermuse itself. Let's just see.

Thread Information