Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Re: [DTW] T.E.S - The EPIC Storm

Quote Originally Posted by kicks_422 View Post
    Slithermuse is conditional, in the sense that it would really help when you're already winning, and would really suck when you're losing.

There's also the problem that it's a non-mana card that can't be tutored for.
    Well it can be actually. Infernal Tutor --> Slithermuse is kinda broken, especially off LED. But yeah, it can't be got with Burning Wish.

Just awesome.
    Sep 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

The latest rumours... Slithermuse costs to evoke.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

I hope it does, so that people won't try to squeeze it into combo.

I've been trying these changes:

MD
    -2 Ponder
    -2 Cabal Ritual
    +4 Pyroblast

SB
    -4 Pyroblast
    +3 Shattering Spree
    +1 Echoing Ruin

The 2-ofs seemed too random for me. I often used Ponders to dig for Chants, and the Cabal Rituals weren't really helping much. I dropped them and moved the 4 Pyroblasts MD, taking a page out of Belcher. In an Island-heavy environment, I think 8 protection spells are needed MD... They add to the storm count for R, at the very least. Then to replace the Pyroblasts in the SB, maxed out Sprees and a Ruin for Chalice/3Sphere.

Since Islands and Chalices/3Spheres are my least favorite things to see when playing this deck, I think it makes sense to run just a bit more protection against them.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Flamenco Apprentice
    Apr 2007
    Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Elf_Ascetic View Post
    The latest rumours... Slithermuse costs to evoke.
    Even though it seems playable to me. I mean, it's not so difficult for a combo deck to get that amount off acceleration
    “THROUGH me you pass into the city of woe, through me you pass into eternal pain, Through me among the people lost for aye.
    Justice the founder of my fabric moved, to rear me was the task of Power divine, Supremest Wisdom, and primeval Love.
    Before me things create were none, save things Eternal, and eternal I endure.
    All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” - Inferno

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Eh, 8x Protection MD is great, BUT I can't see cutting mana for it.
    You want all your game #1's to be as potent as possible.

Personally, I've found that as long as you aren't facing Landstill, one Chant is enough on game one.
    Landstill can still hammer you down with Stifle.
    Just remember that most of the time, if they FoW chant, that's all they have.
    A lot of the time, a resolved Chant just means permission to D.Returns/IGG freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Is slithermuse really that good? I havn't tested it yet, but it seems often like a worse version of D. Returns, though better on occasion. Also, I can't see running 4. I'd run 3 at most because it's so conditional.
    The primary advantage it has over Returns is that it doesn't take double-blue. If DR was 3U...oh god I think every storm player would cream their jeans instantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    The primary advantage it has over Returns is that it doesn't take double-blue. If DR was 3U...oh god I think every storm player would cream their jeans instantly.
    Meh, if Muse evokes for 3U I'm sticking with D. Returns. It's just not worth it.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

I sort of agree. the 2U makes it far less explosive and ridiculous than 3U.

If it's 2U, you can go Land, Rite of Flame, Lotus Petal and already be at enough mana to cast it. This can be incredibly important if your other cards are like, Lion's Eye Diamond, Tendrils of Agony, Land, Slithermuse. Also, at 2U, he's much more likely to be around to completely negate Mulligans (IE, you mull to 6 and are staring at something like Land, Mox, Petal, Empty the Warrens, Slithermuse, Tendrils of Agony). If he costs 2U, he lets you refill your hand pretty efficiently, whereas 3U is a little harder to get off a bad hand. And I think the main appeal of him evoking for 2U was the ability to make even the bad hands ridiculously strong, rather than making the good ones better.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

Okay dudes, instead of keep guessing we should try some logic shouldnt we?

We know that it will cost 2UU to hardcast and we know that all Creatures with the Evoke ability cost less to Evoke than to hardcast, so this should mean that its Evoke cost is definitly at 2U.

However there is one thing that should be taken into account: It might be an exeptional card, because in contrast to the other evokers its ability triggers when the creature leaves play rather when it comes into play.
    So it might be the case that you pay the asumed 3U to get the effect immediately rather when the hardcasted creature leaves play.

Does this make any sense to you?

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

No, there are creatures in Morningtide with larger Evoke costs, mainly because they trigger on leaving play, rather than coming into play.
    Its the new thing for the set, so our little friend may have a terrible fate.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    Well it can be actually. Infernal Tutor --> Slithermuse is kinda broken, especially off LED. But yeah, it can't be got with Burning Wish.
    I know! Makes me so mad! It should've been Creature Sorcery- Elemental. The end. No arguements. For the casting cost for evoke arguement, if it's 2U which it looks like in the scan it'll be a 3 of. If it's 3U it'll probably not make it or maybe if you're lucky a 1 of.

Kicks, I play in a metagame full of Control. Ask anyone who's ever been to Syracuse NY. There was a total of 6 Landstill decks yesterday in our local of 15 people. That's a huge portion of the Metagame. I took 1st, nonetheless. That many blue hate spells is unnecessary.

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Kicks, I play in a metagame full of Control. Ask anyone who's ever been to Syracuse NY. There was a total of 6 Landstill decks yesterday in our local of 15 people. That's a huge portion of the Metagame. I took 1st, nonetheless. That many blue hate spells is unnecessary.
    But you still do the -2 SSG, Ponder, Cabal for 4 Pyroblast and 2 Swarm? I guess I'll just have to practice more...
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Based on the card previews today (with the 2WW evoke guy costing 3W to evoke) I'd say its likely the whole cycle will have the same cost in their color, which would mean this card isn't quite as much of a Windfall (pun intended) as we had initially expected. Still decent, not as busted.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Based on the card previews today (with the 2WW evoke guy costing 3W to evoke) I'd say its likely the whole cycle will have the same cost in their color, which would mean this card isn't quite as much of a Windfall (pun intended) as we had initially expected. Still decent, not as busted.
    I just saw it, so guys, is this going to be a 1 of or a 0 of? Is it still good at 3U as a tutor target?

With a Evoke cost of 3U i don't see it fitting into the deck. It seems worse than Returns now.
    It can only be fetched by a hellbent Tutor which means there was probably an LED somewhere in there so the double blue of Returns isn't an issue and unless your opponent has more than 7 cards in hand will not draw you as much as Returns.

100%

Nov 2007
    Berkeley, CA

I just saw it, so guys, is this going to be a 1 of or a 0 of? Is it still good at 3U as a tutor target?
    0 Because it's only good of of a hellbent Infernal Tutor. D.Returns is better in almost every circumstance.

If I cut a card for this, sadly, it would be a Contract, not Returns. Why? Because this is never going to draw you 7 cards. I think it's more treatable as a draw 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    With a Evoke cost of 3U i don't see it fitting into the deck. It seems worse than Returns now.
    It can only be fetched by a hellbent Tutor which means there was probably an LED somewhere in there so the double blue of Returns isn't an issue and unless your opponent has more than 7 cards in hand will not draw you as much as Returns.
    Even if its Evoke cost is 3U, it's a 1x for certain. Diminishing Returns both shuffles the discard pile and gives the opponent a new hand, where Slithermuse is either the same or appr. the same as a Draw 7, generates additional mana from Right of Flames/Cabal Rituals and doesn't give the opponent disruption. It's marginal on the draw, but on the play it's incredible to be able to Land, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond + into Infernal Tutor -> Slithermuse and not risk Force of Will twice.
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Land, Dark Ritual, Lion's Eye Diamond + into Infernal Tutor -> Slithermuse and not risk Force of Will twice.
    How are you any less exposed to FoW? You need to pop the LED right off the start anyway, otherwise the Tutor won't be hellbent and will not be able to grab Muse. Moreover, just like with D. Returns, you have to pop it for blue and tell your opponent "I'm not grabbing EtW, so it's OK to wait to counter the tutor target".
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Jonny Combo Player
    Mar 2006
    Germany

Now it is confirmed: Slithermuse has Evokecost of 3U.

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

Slick artwork; exactly what I had in mind too.

Too bad it's 3U instead of 2U. Funny how one mana makes it's strong vs. weak.

Thread Information