SB: 1 [TSP] Grapeshot
    SB: 2 [SC] Xantid Swarm

My SB strategy is usually this:

Non Blue decks:
    +2 Duress -2 Chant
    Non Blue decks with artifact hate:
    +2 Duress +2 Shattering Spree -4 Chant
    Blue decks:
    -2 Cabal Ritual -X Ponder -1 Chain of Vapor +2 Xantid Swarm +2 Duress +X Pyroblast

So after SB I got a package of 4 Chant, 4 Duress, 2 Swarm, 3 Pyroblasts against blue decks.

Swarm has some advantages compared to Shusher:
    - Costs 1 mana and zero to activate (no mana in your combo turn)
    - Not needleable
    - Not blastable

I believe Swarm is overall better against Counterspells/stifles/chants, and generally in fast games, where shusher is better against CB and long games.

Once CB lands you have some possibilities:
    - Have Shusher (a 2of) and Pyroblast (a 3of)
    - Play Pyroblast and hope the opponent doesn't have 1CC on top.
    - Play bounce (Xcc) and hope the opponent doesn't have X on top.

So I take my chance and just hope to deal with CB before it comes into play. I have some chances to do it.
    - I can combo before turn 2.
    - I can play a turn 1 Swarm and win protected on turn 2 on the play
    - I can discard it with 4 Duress
    - I can counter it with 3 Blasts

I believe that this configuration actually gives a better Counter matchup, while still being solid against CB.
    Duress is also much better than chant against everything non-blue.

What do you guys think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

Re: [Deck] T.E.S. - The EPIC Storm

@ nickrit: I really dislike 4x Burning Wish, 4x Infernal Tutor. I find that when playing the builds that look like Bryant's I usually just draw into more Tutors than I need. With Mystical Tutor (taking the place of the other Tutors) it adds a lot of versatility. I just don't like 4x Wish 4x Infernal since I almost always have 1-2 as dead cards in my hand wishing they were additional cantrips or accel. All preference, if anything I would add the 4th Infernal since it can fetch up additional acceleration, but for now I much prefer this configuration.

Regarding Chain of Vapor, no, just no, I will not play a bounce spell that can't remove a CB in play with Top (albeit 2 isn't good but its something) and can not deal with Chalice of the Void @1. This is crucial, since I don't play Duress (I always found 6 pieces redundant in a deck with this speed) to hopefully catch Chalice before it comes into play I have to have an answer. Chain may randomly add additional storm but I would much rather have a solid answer to Chalice, and Echoing Truth bounces both CotV @1 and 0. 4x Chrome Mox is to many. Still, preference, additional lands helps this, but I almost always have to many Chrome Mox in my hand and not enough spells to put on them; 3x feels right in this build. This is also where SSG shines. I am usually quite happy to reveal SSG off of Ad Nauseam, especially if I have already played my land for the turn, additional mana sources are never bad and it helps play against Daze

@ Vexing Shusher, I have had mixed feelings about the card. With the commonly played Blue Elemental Blast I think he is very much suspect. Xantid Swarm is just great. It also has its uses in the combo mirror to combat an opponent who has more Chants than you do. It comes down turn 1 and forces an opponent to answer it immediately or lose and requires no additional mana investment. It can be Stifled but since when is running the opponent out of Stifles a bad thing? It is also immune to Needle (I have had Shusher Needled before) which is never bad. They both die to all the same removal that people actually play, so with the rise of BEB in my meta he makes the cut over Shusher.

@ greenone: I like the strategy. I like leaving in 1-2 Ponder (I only play 2) against control cause that matchup is usually all about the setup. And after a bad Brainstorm that reveals something like land, Chant, Rite, and have no action spells its nice to have that Ponder to shuffle it away.
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Refuses to play dual lands
    Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

looking at most lists and most tournament reports, it seems like the 3rd spree is just for a wish target. Is it worth keeping a slot in the board for the 3rd? Or could another shusher/ swarm be put in there?
    TEAM AWESOME

Well, at least we smell better

I only play blue for Brainstorm and combo.
    Jan 2008
    Alpharetta, Georgia

I have been wondering about this as well. With Mystical Tutor in the deck you can probably afford to play less Spree. Cut a Spree and put in an additional Shusher or Swarm. This does make you a little more vulnerable to turn 1 Chalice @1 but with Echoing Truth/Wipe Away in addition to Burning Wish this should not be to much of a problem.
    "I just shot Marvin in the face!"
    "Why the fuck'd you do that??"

Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp_Fiction View Post
    @ nickrit: I really dislike 4x Burning Wish, 4x Infernal Tutor. I find that when playing the builds that look like Bryant's I usually just draw into more Tutors than I need. With Mystical Tutor (taking the place of the other Tutors) it adds a lot of versatility. I just don't like 4x Wish 4x Infernal since I almost always have 1-2 as dead cards in my hand wishing they were additional cantrips or accel. All preference, if anything I would add the 4th Infernal since it can fetch up additional acceleration, but for now I much prefer this configuration.

Regarding Chain of Vapor, no, just no, I will not play a bounce spell that can't remove a CB in play with Top (albeit 2 isn't good but its something) and can not deal with Chalice of the Void @1. This is crucial, since I don't play Duress (I always found 6 pieces redundant in a deck with this speed) to hopefully catch Chalice before it comes into play I have to have an answer. Chain may randomly add additional storm but I would much rather have a solid answer to Chalice, and Echoing Truth bounces both CotV @1 and 0. 4x Chrome Mox is to many. Still, preference, additional lands helps this, but I almost always have to many Chrome Mox in my hand and not enough spells to put on them; 3x feels right in this build. This is also where SSG shines. I am usually quite happy to reveal SSG off of Ad Nauseam, especially if I have already played my land for the turn, additional mana sources are never bad and it helps play against Daze

@ Vexing Shusher, I have had mixed feelings about the card. With the commonly played Blue Elemental Blast I think he is very much suspect. Xantid Swarm is just great. It also has its uses in the combo mirror to combat an opponent who has more Chants than you do. It comes down turn 1 and forces an opponent to answer it immediately or lose and requires no additional mana investment. It can be Stifled but since when is running the opponent out of Stifles a bad thing? It is also immune to Needle (I have had Shusher Needled before) which is never bad. They both die to all the same removal that people actually play, so with the rise of BEB in my meta he makes the cut over Shusher.

@ greenone: I like the strategy. I like leaving in 1-2 Ponder (I only play 2) against control cause that matchup is usually all about the setup. And after a bad Brainstorm that reveals something like land, Chant, Rite, and have no action spells its nice to have that Ponder to shuffle it away.
    the thing with chain of vapor vs. echoing truth is that if they resolve counterbalance and top, more than likely you are not going to resolve either chain or truth. Chain can be a storm generator and mana fixer along with chrome mox. Im not sold on running less than 4 mox. After a nauseam you need the 0cc mana without the lifeloss, and most of the time it is better of not being red mana like guide provides. Ive had guide cost me too much life for one of the more "off" colors for the deck. Although running both chain and truth may be an option. Its a maindeck answer to opposing ETW tokens, chalice etc.... I may do 1 ponder( drop to 2) +1 E truth. Seems versatile enough to give it consideration.

My list with those changes:

4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Forbidden Orchard

4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Ponder
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Mystical Tutor
    2 Ad Nauseum
    2 Cabal Ritual
    2 Duress
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    1 Tendrils of Agony
    1 Chain of Vapor
    1 Echoing truth

SB:1 Diminishing Returns
    SB:1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB:1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB:1 Empty the Warrens
    SB:1 Grapeshot
    SB:3 Pyroblast
    SB:2 Shattering Spree
    SB:2 Vexing Shusher
    SB:1 Wipeaway
    SB:2 Duress
    TEAM AWESOME

Well, at least we smell better

What the best way to deal with Chalice of the Void it seems to be my bane at the moment?

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    What the best way to deal with Chalice of the Void it seems to be my bane at the moment?
    Shattering Spree. Chalice won't counter the copies.
    Keep moon-walking.

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Raindown View Post
    You have those plays:
    - Duress on the play
    - Chant to time walk, then go off
    - Mystical into Chain of vapor/Shattering Spree (post side) if they played it for Zero.
    - Burning Wish for Shattering Spree.

Remember you can play Shattering spree and replicate it. Only the original spell will get countered by Chalice @1.
    If chalice infests your meta just play more copies of Spree in the side.
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
    Remember you can play Shattering spree and replicate it. Only the original spell will get countered by Chalice @1.
    Hotness.

Bryant Cook

I made Top 8 again last Saturday, I won two rounds based on Vexing Shusher alone. I don't really want to replace Shusher for Swarm. However, I'll give it that it's amazing in the combo mirror. Which I lost round 2.

As for Chain of Vapor it can bounce Counterbalance. Target something else, then sac a land, copy chain, targeting counterbalance. Counterbalance doesn't counterspell copies. You should never play two bounce spells maindeck, at that point you open hand them. You don't want to be opening dead cards. Echoing Truth is awful, 2 damage on Ad Nauseum and is dead most of the time, that sounds awful.

Chalice of the Void can be answered by boarding in two Shattering Spree, keeping one as a wish target.

Edit: Way to post before me guys.

I believe Chain can't be copied unless it resolves.

Banned

May 2007
    jersey

Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    I believe Chain can't be copied unless it resolves.
    Yes, but you can make them misplay. For example attempt to chain your lotus petal, chrome mox or led. They might let it resolve with the idea that they would then counter it and keep you off combo mana.

By the way guys...why grapeshot and not deathmark in the wish board??

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCid View Post
    By the way guys...why grapeshot and not deathmark in the wish board??
    Grapeshot doubles as a win condition for Meddling Mage and Runed Halo?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Grapeshot doubles as a win condition for Meddling Mage and Runed Halo?
    Yeah...i guess meddling for tendrils and halo for goblin...but you need an extra large storm for winning with grapeshot. If you use it for killing mage it would be equal to deathmark, if not i repeat you need a big big storm to win.

Bryant Cook

Yeah...i guess meddling for tendrils and halo for goblin...but you need an extra large storm for winning with grapeshot. If you use it for killing mage it would be equal to deathmark, if not i repeat you need a big big storm to win.
    Cast Ad Nauseum. Draw 15-20 cards, play them.

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

It's actually not that far-fetched. Although not particularly conventional, I have won a few times by tight math, lots of looping, and a big-ass Grapeshot. Can't really remember the circumstances, but I only remember that I had JUST enough mana to pull it off. I think with the inclusion of MD Chain of Vapor, Meddling Mage seems even less of a problem.

Also, Runed Halo cannot be called for "Goblin Token" I believe. [Correct. - Bardo]

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

They can however name EtW with Mage and ToA with Halo. Not that it matters.

Chain of vapor seems bad as a bounce spell that only works when your opponent misplays. Pre-board the most important problempermanents are CotV:1 and Counterbalance. Since they are both not answered by CoV decently, I doubt it's use. What does it do? Only CotV:0, which is more unlikely than at 1 game 1. Gaddock Teeg isn't played maindeck (no I don't want to see your petdeck with Teegs), or as a 1-of, which is way slow. Blood Moon is possible, but hard, just like 3Sphere. Also, Blood Moon doesn't need to be bounced to win. So please explain why it is so great. The storm option is more a gimmick than a good or important use.
    Team Nijmegen

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by matelml View Post
    So please explain why it is so great. The storm option is more a gimmick than a good or important use.
    Yeah, I used the storm option to reach 10 storm only once in all the games. It's not like we're abusing it as a mana generator, cause we only make 1 mana at the cost of 1 card with chrome mox.

I guess the reason it's played over other bounce (Wipe Away or E.Truth) is the lower cc for AN.
    Is it really that better than, say, 1x Pyroblast (works the same if not better against CB and Meddling Mage, and also works against Counterspells)?
    Or even 1 more duress?

Mar 2007
    Terryville, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Cook View Post
    Echoing Truth is awful, 2 damage on Ad Nauseum and is dead most of the time, that sounds awful.

After some more thought on it you are right, its not worth the addition. Although I am going to try out a few changes over the next week.

4 Gemstone Mine
    4 City of Brass
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    2 Forbidden Orchard

4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Rite of Flame
    4 Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Burning Wish
    4 Brainstorm