Page 2 of 400 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Merfolk

May 2007
    R.I.T

Re: [CaNGD] Triton's Minions after Monrningtide

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    This guy is good. It's almost a +1/+1 and it makes card advantage.
    Not so much. With the list in the opening post, there are only 8 wizards. Note that Sage of Fables says Wizards, not Merfolk.
    Team Chimera: Something is Amiss...

Martyr of Three Deuce
    Apr 2005
    Gencon-land

Piracy Charm can Also kill lackey, grant islandwalk, and in a pinch, discard on someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_rotten
    Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop
    The way I shoulda got out of it is I shoulda survival'd for FTK and blew up one guildmage and then blocked a kird ape when he swung next turn trading with him.
    And this is why you lose... First Strike - ROAR! You just paid 4 to kill one creature and fog a Kird Ape.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is time now, my friends,
    To take a stand,
    To proudly proclaim what it is that you are fighting for.
    Join with us, in the bonds of fellowship and proudly yell:

For Love.

For Peace.

For Honor.

For None of the Above.

For Pony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Founder, Freshly Baked Crayons

If you have enough wizards you may want to try out Patron Wizard, it's quite annoying when coupled with 1+ wizards.

Is there any reason not to splash a color? The only real good reason for mono blue is B2B imho.

/Zeus

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal-kun View Post
    Not so much. With the list in the opening post, there are only 8 wizards. Note that Sage of Fables says Wizards, not Merfolk.
    I count 12 : sage of fables, silvergil and banneret.

B2B is bad in a deck playing 4 wastes and 4 ports imo. For the lovers of splash in merfolks:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8097

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Maveric78f View Post
    I count 12 : sage of fables, silvergil and banneret.
    http://ww2.wizards.com/Gatherer/inde...&Field_Type=on

Among the playable ones are Sygg for the white splash and perhaps Tideshaper Mystic over Tidal Warrior. On that note, how often do you tap Tidal Warrior on their turn? Might be nice for EOT Seasinger tricks, but for Islandwalk madness you'd want to do it on your turn.

4 Stonybrook Banneret*
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    4 Merrow Reejerey
    4 Silvergill Adept*
    4 Tideshaper Mystic*
    4 Sage of Fables*

* Merfolk Wizard

Instead of using Courier to draw, we now use Sage of Fables. It's worse for drawing because we need to have Sage enter play then wait for other Merfolk to do so, but at least it pumps critters in the meantime, and we get to keep whatever Counterspells and lands we draw. If the deck can stretch a bit, we could add Courier back in for massive draws, but I'm not sure that the deck needs even more drawing.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

If you splash white, play meddling mage. If I were playing Sage of Fable, dark confidant is a must too. I would maybe even push the sin to include sage of epityr.

I would like to see such a list, but it would abandon mana disruption, I guess. A lot of creatures plus some permission and jitte of course. Tide shaper is bad by the way. Being both merfolk and wizard does not excuse everything.

17 lands
    4 vials

28 creatures
    12 pumps
    4 Banneret
    4 Silvergil
    4 Dark confidant
    4 Sage of Epityr

11 Spells
    4 FoW
    4 Daze
    3 Jitte

throbbing member

Feb 2007

Were you guys under the impression that Sage of Fables said "...when another Merfolk comes into play under your control..."?

It only works with Wizards.

Decisions, decisions. It seems to me that you guys are going against land denial. With only 17 lands, you can't fit stuff like Wasteland and Port. Atleast not as many. That and the cut Stifle add up to removing that facet from the deck. It is one of the best features.

Kill creatures or kill lands. Which gets the nod?

After testing, I would like to see some creature kill but I didn't need it in my games very much. With the amount of creatures this deck can draw and play quickly, I don't think I would have wanted to use much mana on removal. Most of the time you can either tap potential blockers or island walk past them. It was a very successful deck for me. I have now played it enough to see that Tidal Warrior is only good if there is more land denial happening as well. But he is pretty good (not very) when it is. What I liked about him was how simple it was to switch gears. After tapping on the opponent's upkeep for a few turns, you can include him in the attack once he is a 3/3 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder
    I love it when Tacosnape reads me Seuss. It's the sodomy I don't like .

Well, there's potential for a silly combos involving Arctic Merfolk or Mothdust Changeling + Surgespanner , and multiples of Merrow Reejery, and Storrybrook Banneret ...

The drawing ability of the Sage of Fables works with any creature - so Arctic Merfolk or Paperfin Rascal would work with that even though they're not wizards.

Lord of Atlantis is nice, but the UU in the casting cost isn't a perfect fit with the Banneret's ability which only removes colorless costs.

Shapesharer looks like a card with potential since it can allow you to deal with a variety of problem critters, and is a merfolk wizard. (BTW: Can anyone tell me what happens if an instant spell - like wings of velis veil - on the stack or in the graveyard becomes a copy of a creature?)

Multavault seems like it deserves discussion in tribal decks with stable mana bases.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

This deck needs a lot more Tarmogoyf.

At least 8x.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Multavault seems like it deserves discussion in tribal decks with stable mana bases.
    It seems interesting, especially with 8 pumpers in the deck. But: Would that be better than the mana denial plan?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Yes, Mutavault does seem interesting. I am assuming that you keep it when it is revealed with Tidal Courier. I don't have the card memorized. Is it all creature types?

If so, that really deserves some consideration. Good call.

Gilmore, your statement is stale, dude. See Maveric78's thread to see where that direction goes. It is amusing.

Mar 2007
    United Kingdom

Nope mutavault doesn't have changeling and is only given all types when activated.
    So you wouldn't keep it, but it would be a merfolk when you activated it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Americans are to acronyms what Europeans are to culture, language, philosophy, and everything else good in the world.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Thanks, Bel. I would not play it then. The disruption is probably much more important. BTW, I did not mean to disparage Mav with my last post. I meant it was amusing that he did in 2 months what Vintage did in several years.

I find myself looking at Merrow Rejerry, and thinking, "this is a guy that wants to be played with city of traitors and ancient tomb."

Something like:
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Island
    4x Fetch
    4x Chrome Mox

4x Silvergill Adept
    4x Stonybrook Banneret
    4x Shapesharer (This wants to be replaced...)
    4x Merrow Rejerry
    4x Tidal Courier
    4x Fallowsage

4x Thorn of Amethyst
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Force of Will

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Rufus, your stompy shell could have been a good idea BUT:
    - no fetch in such a deck
    - no banneret in such a deck
    - the moerfolks are too bad to play that

throbbing member

Feb 2007

@Finn have you noticed that Daze and Tidal Warrior suck together? I don't think it is enough to take either of them out, but I wanted to say it anyway.

Also, has anyone tried Jittes. I see that a lot of people discussed it, but no results. I am going with three in my sb tonight.

Well, I am taking this to our local scene tonight. They should have Morningtide available for the Bannerets. I have been testing it a lot recently and I am cautiously optimistic about making top 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder
    I love it when Tacosnape reads me Seuss. It's the sodomy I don't like .

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Daze slows them down by requiring that they have more mana. Warrior slows them down by denying them a color.

Let's say they have Taiga and Tropical Island in play:

1) They have Scab-Clan Mauler in hand: Either Warrior or Daze would stop their spell.

2) They have a Tarmogoyf in hand: Warrior does nothing, Daze stops the spell.

3) They have Chain Lightning in hand: Warrior stops the spell, Daze does nothing.

4) They have Giant Growth in hand: neither Warrior nor Daze does anything.

These are simplistic examples, but the reasoning holds. If they have enough mana to play a spell anyway after you deny them a color, either Daze wouldn't have helped anyway (fourth case above) or Daze alone would have helped (second case above) and you tapped Warrior for nothing. Having both together gives you options to stop more spells than having either alone.

Anyway, I think this deck is fun, and the fact that it's U or Uw means it's built into serious control colors. My problem is that Merfolk just aren't as broken as the other tribes. Slivers are the most highly synergistic and can be made to run with a curve of 1-2. Goblins abuse the library (and now the graveyard post-Lorwyn), and can attack your land base while they beat your face in. Elves are arguably even more explosive than Goblins, and have a lot of ways to combo off to go infinite.
    Last edited by Curby; 07-26-2008 at 04:51 PM.
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

You right in all you're saying. But the fact that merfolk can go the route to land denial (better than gobs by the way) AND brokenness of blue free counterspells. Goblins cannot because their tribality requires a lot of gobs in the deck and Slivers cannot their multicolor requirement prevent them from playing wasteland/port.

And daze + 12 land disruption (waste.port.stifle) is simply over strong. Warrior is poor because it only prevents your opponent from playing double color sorcery speed spells. The 3/ point is not really true because a smart opponent would keep the taiga in hand the time to find something to play with it. Daze may force him to want to play his lands though. Si it's not that much antisynergic. I just think that warrior is real crap as you have 1 turn to wait before being able to take advantage of islandwalk or seasinger (which is its primary utility).

(A.K.A.) Buddha
    Dec 2007
    Camas

This is my list, I don't have Ports yet... they are o9n the way... I went 3-1 friday night... losing only to Sliver... But Volt, who is Sliver is pretty damn good and knows his deck...lol

Deck
    Critters (24)
    4 Stonybrook Banneret
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    4 Merrow Reejerey
    4 Silvergill Adept
    4 Tidal Warrior
    4 Tidal Courier

Instants (11)
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Stifle

Artifact (7)
    3 Jitte
    4 Aether Vial

Land (16)
    4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    8 Island

Side (15)
    1 Stifle
    3 Seasinger
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Gromoire Theif
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Noll Rod
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    - General George Patton (1885-1945)

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

You have no reason to play fetches in a monocoloured deck that dont manipulate the library. By the way, can you explain why you play null rod in SB?

12 blue mana producers + 4*vial is not enough.

Thread Information