Results 7,901 to 7,920 of 7999

Thread: [Deck] Merfolk

Viking Extraordinaire
    Aug 2012
    Currently raiding Bant, Friesland.

Re: [Deck] Merfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowwarrior346 View Post
    Why do you not run 4x Mutavault?
    I was expecting this question. I don't think Mutavault is very good in comparison to the mana denial suite with the exception of the Miracles Match-up. That mixed with how good the cards are in general against the average stuff. I'm running Cavern because I wanted more blue sources in the deck, and that puts me at 15 sources. I'd prefer 16 or 17, but the power of the mana denial is worth the minor inconsistency.

With the deck I found that I tend to pace myself which leads to me being a bit more controlling. Mutavault was not helping with that game plan as I saw it. Mutavault kept pushing me into situations where I should be attacking, even when it was fairly risky, as I had nothing else going on. Where I used to be up a beat, they are now down a beat. This means when I get ahead I keep it, and when I fall behind, I pull them down.

If I edit a post without an explanation, I am just correcting typos and / or formatting.
    Legacy Goblins Records
    Our Discord

Does Daze ever come out against Shardless and Burn?

anyone on here playing this deck to any kind of success? There is a fairly active community at mtgsalvation.com. Just wondering if anyone is testing anything new or different...

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

I optimistically check Merfolk subforum here but most people transfered to Salvation.
    Personally, I am trying to find solution to D&T which is just annoying with Sword of Fire&Ice.
    It will include stuff like maindeck Dismembers and Tidal Warriors (also ok vs Eldrazi), but no results to speak of since Legacy in my area completely died.

Someone has already play a sideboard with grip of phyresis against death & taxes?

That effect already existed in Carry Away, and it was bad. Adding yet another way for flickerwisp to blow us out sky high is not where we want to be.

I took my Merfolk deck out for a swim yesterday and ended up going 4-1, which resulted in a 4.th place out of 32 players. It seem like there was a fair share of combo decks and BUG decks, maybe the meta will change more in the coming weeks.

Results: 4-1
    Round 1: U/B Reanimator 2-1
    Round 2: Burn 2-0
    Round 3: B/R Reanimator 2-1
    Round 4: BUG Delver 0-2
    Round 5: BUG Midrange 2-1

Decklist
    Lands: 20
    12x Island
    3x Cavern of Souls
    3x Mutavault
    2x Wasteland

Creatures: 24
    4x Cursecatcher
    4x Silvergill Adept
    4x Phantasmal Image
    4x Lord of Atlantis
    4x Master of the Pearl Trident
    4x True-Name Nemesis

Instants: 6
    2x Daze
    4x Force of Will

Artifacts: 10
    4x Chalice of the Void
    4x Aether Vial
    2x Umezawa's Jitte

Sideboard: 15
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Grafdigger's Cage
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Flusterstorm
    1x Manriki-Gusari
    2x Echoing Truth
    2x Back to Basics
    2x Submerge

I might add Cursed Totem to the sideboard to deal with Elves, if the number of elf players in my meta increases.

How have your lists performed lately? how do you think the ban of Sensei's Divining Top is going to affect Merfolk? Personally I expect combo decks to flourish and unfortunately I also think Elves is going to be a great deck now.

twitch.tv/ehhhhhhh
    I'm known for being a 12Post player in legacy (Rip)
    I plan on streaming Merfolk until Las Vegas GP
    Come join and add your input :)

4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    4 Master of the Pearl Trident
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Phantasmal Image
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Cursecatcher
    4 Force of Will
    1 Daze
    3 Tidal Warrior
    4 Silvergill Adept
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Mutavault
    12 Island

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Harbinger of the Tides
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Submerge
    2 Surgical Extraction

nice! I think merfolk is quite well positioned nowadays - at least in my meta - so I am also planning to buy back into it. :)

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Ehhh View Post
    twitch.tv/ehhhhhhh
    I am half way through this 7h solo concert :)
    You could really use some Relic of Progenitus and Smuggler’s Copter, those improve many matchups across the board and give you more cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehhh View Post
    twitch.tv/ehhhhhhh
    I'm known for being a 12Post player in legacy (Rip)
    I plan on streaming Merfolk until Las Vegas GP
    Come join and add your input :)

4 True-Name Nemesis
    4 Lord of Atlantis
    4 Master of the Pearl Trident
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Phantasmal Image
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Cursecatcher
    4 Force of Will
    1 Daze
    3 Tidal Warrior
    4 Silvergill Adept
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Mutavault
    12 Island

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Back to Basics
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Harbinger of the Tides
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Vendilion Clique
    1 Submerge
    2 Surgical Extraction
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...gue-2017-06-03

Congrats on the 5-0!
    Why Gemstone Caverns?

Quote Originally Posted by markino View Post
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles...gue-2017-06-03

Congrats on the 5-0!
    Why Gemstone Caverns?
    it's great in this deck

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Ok, I'll play.

Why is Gemstone Caverns great in this deck?
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

Seriously, can someone explain Caverns? I've watched some games with different pilots, and Caverns has thusfar universally been a worse Island in every case I remember it being drawn. Sure there's probably "that one awesome time" it just happened to be perfect when you happened to get your 1-of Caverns and you happened to be on the draw and you cast Echoing Truth on their 12 Goblin tokens or whatever. Are anecdotes of unlikely situations the best it has going for it, or can a compelling argument be made based on average performance?

Also, I'm skeptical of the implied assertion that somehow Merfolk is the only Legacy deck that could benefit from the Caverns' tempo boost. If Baubles let us play 52-card decks in a 60-card format with no downsides, everyone would run Baubles. If Serum Powder let us get free mulligans with no downsides, everyone would run Powder. If Caverns helped you match tempo when on the draw with no downsides, everyone would run Caverns.

If it were just one player running a Caverns, it could be explained as a joke or a pet card or a random crackpot inclusion, but it's more than one person. So ... what am I missing?
    Most people blindly suggest new cards for decks. True contributors also suggest what to remove. It's not about what's good, but rather what's better than the current selections.

Jul 2011
    Zagreb, Croatia

I personally just ignore the Caverns thing, there were too many color screws in my monocolor deck to believe that card has place in my deck.
    It's just a phase in my opinion, let them have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbysdl View Post
    Seriously, can someone explain Caverns? I've watched some games with different pilots, and Caverns has thusfar universally been a worse Island in every case I remember it being drawn. Sure there's probably "that one awesome time" it just happened to be perfect when you happened to get your 1-of Caverns and you happened to be on the draw and you cast Echoing Truth on their 12 Goblin tokens or whatever. Are anecdotes of unlikely situations the best it has going for it, or can a compelling argument be made based on average performance?

Also, I'm skeptical of the implied assertion that somehow Merfolk is the only Legacy deck that could benefit from the Caverns' tempo boost. If Baubles let us play 52-card decks in a 60-card format with no downsides, everyone would run Baubles. If Serum Powder let us get free mulligans with no downsides, everyone would run Powder. If Caverns helped you match tempo when on the draw with no downsides, everyone would run Caverns.

If it were just one player running a Caverns, it could be explained as a joke or a pet card or a random crackpot inclusion, but it's more than one person. So ... what am I missing?
    dude. the symmetry of the deck is all 2 drops - yes it can be a gambit vs wasteland but if you steal turn 1 vs most decks the value of playing turn 1 Chalice can steal a game from most decks in this meta. Try it out if you want .. you don't have to play it

Bear Cub > Tarmogoyf

Jul 2007

I'm not saying we should all play the same 75, but I like to understand why people make the choices they do.

Now that I understand, I have to say I disagree but am happy to leave it at that.

Dec 2010
    Montreal

I've always wondered how important Cursecatcher is to this deck. Would it be reasonable to come up with a Merfolk deck playing Deathrite and perhaps 2-3 Pushes to give it some additional tempo, reach, and interaction?
    Do you know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me.
    Get it...? Ass, u, me?

... ffs I was trying to be funny...

Quote Originally Posted by Qweerios View Post
    I've always wondered how important Cursecatcher is to this deck. Would it be reasonable to come up with a Merfolk deck playing Deathrite and perhaps 2-3 Pushes to give it some additional tempo, reach, and interaction?
    I love this post. It reminds me of when Goyf came out. DeathriteShamanStill, DRStorm, Deathblade (wait this one is real!), Death and Shamans, Sneak and Shaman, and finally, Deathfolk.

Bump. Have you guys seen the leaks?

Kopala, Warden of Waves 1UU

Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard

Spells your opponents cast that target a merfolk you control cost (1) more to cast.

Abilities your opponents activated that target a merfolk you control cost (1) more to activate

Very strong. Already seen Kiora a lot in Merfolk, now it's going to have islandwalk and swing for 5. Thank you WotC.

Thread Information