Page 98 of 101 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101 LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2003

Thread: [Deck] Eva Green - B/g suicide

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: [Deck] Eva Green - B/g suicide

Got a new toy in eva green. Is it good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    Got a new toy in eva green. Is it good enough?
    Care to tell a bit more? Like what card you are talking about? Is this a guessing game?

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    Care to tell a bit more? Like what card you are talking about? Is this a guessing game?
    In legacy, there's usually only 1-2 cards playable that enter the format from a new set.

Much less from 2 colors.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

In legacy, there's usually only 1-2 cards playable that enter the format from a new set.

Much less from 2 colors.
    New 3 mana 7/6 zombie dinosaur? Or the elf that tutors lands?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    New 3 mana 7/6 zombie dinosaur? Or the elf that tutors lands?
    Could be both

(V) (;,,;) (V)
    Jul 2008
    Minneapolis, MN

Could be both
    I personally don't see them as very useful. My reasons...

The Dino doesn't have a way to push its damage through (trample, flying, horsemanship, etc) or a negative for the opponent. I want my higher cost bodies to push through tough matches without much help. I don't think it can do that.

The Elf... I could swap out my rits for mox to better enable his pump but it's still typically me exposing my manabase turn 1... for a 1/1. While it does offer possible punishment for taking advantage of that exposure, it does not do it fast enough to justify the risk. For the second ability, the later the game the more useful its second ability becomes (filtering draw) but, being a tempo deck, I don't want the game going later. You could always re-tool into a more control/prison build but then you're not really Eva at that point.
    Tinkering with some crafting theory. Here

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by damionblackgear View Post
    I personally don't see them as very useful. My reasons...

The Dino doesn't have a way to push its damage through (trample, flying, horsemanship, etc) or a negative for the opponent. I want my higher cost bodies to push through tough matches without much help. I don't think it can do that.

The Elf... I could swap out my rits for mox to better enable his pump but it's still typically me exposing my manabase turn 1... for a 1/1. While it does offer possible punishment for taking advantage of that exposure, it does not do it fast enough to justify the risk. For the second ability, the later the game the more useful its second ability becomes (filtering draw) but, being a tempo deck, I don't want the game going later. You could always re-tool into a more control/prison build but then you're not really Eva at that point.
    I tried the hexdrinker, bob, goyf, and the dinosaur combo of creatures and the hexdrinker was bolt on sight so far

The late game dark rituals was also helpful with the level ups

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I really miss playing this deck. Anyone have an upgraded decklist so I can start from there.

May 2013
    Paris, France

I really miss playing this deck. Anyone have an upgraded decklist so I can start from there.
    I played this pile to some good results.

The SB might need to be revisited to be more meta oriented.

But this is so much fun.

6 Swamp
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Bayou
    1 Overgrown Tomb

4 Gilded Goose
    3 Death's Shadow
    3 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    2 Murderous Rider

4 Soul Spike
    3 Dark Ritual
    2 Dismember
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Geth's Verdict
    1 Empty the Pits

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Infernal Contract
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Cruel Bargain
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

SB: 1 Golgari Charm
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Sylvan Library
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 Spinning Darkness
    SB: 2 Lost Legacy
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Death's Shadow
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    Last edited by Ralf; 04-09-2020 at 05:01 PM.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    I played this pile to some good results.

The SB might need to be revisited to be more meta oriented.

But this is so much fun.

6 Swamp
    3 Marsh Flats
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Bayou
    1 Overgrown Tomb

4 Gilded Goose
    3 Death's Shadow
    3 Gatekeeper of Malakir
    2 Murderous Rider

4 Soul Spike
    3 Dark Ritual
    2 Dismember
    2 Abrupt Decay
    2 Geth's Verdict
    1 Empty the Pits

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Infernal Contract
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Cruel Bargain
    1 Collective Brutality
    1 Maelstrom Pulse

SB: 1 Golgari Charm
    SB: 2 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Sylvan Library
    SB: 1 Null Rod
    SB: 2 Engineered Plague
    SB: 1 Spinning Darkness
    SB: 2 Lost Legacy
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Death's Shadow
    SB: 2 Surgical Extraction
    Was playing this deck for fun. There just isn't enough firepower compared to the new cards printed. Dreadhorde, young pyro all eclipse the cards in this color

Kobe, from what I understand you want raw power? In that case, have you ever considered Spawn of Mayhem? I think it is currently the best aggro creature for Black in the 3 mana slot. Also worth noting that it combines neatly with Dark Confidant and Death's Shadow for the true Suicide Black experience.

May 2013
    Paris, France

Was playing this deck for fun. There just isn't enough firepower compared to the new cards printed. Dreadhorde, young pyro all eclipse the cards in this color
    In my book, they still all die to Abrupt Decay.
    Tweaking numbers can be a solution (for example to give it a fresher look):

6 Swamp
    4 Verdant catacombs
    3 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Bayou
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Forest
    1 Overgrown Tomb

4 Gilded Goose
    3 Death's Shadow
    3 Plague Engineer
    2 Murderous Rider

4 Soul Spike
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Dark Ritual
    3 Geth's Verdict
    1 Empty the Pits

4 Thoughtseize
    4 Infernal Contract
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    2 Cruel Bargain

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    Kobe, from what I understand you want raw power? In that case, have you ever considered Spawn of Mayhem? I think it is currently the best aggro creature for Black in the 3 mana slot. Also worth noting that it combines neatly with Dark Confidant and Death's Shadow for the true Suicide Black experience.
    I really just want to play sink hole

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So what cards reward you for playing Sinkhole? I was thinking that in order to make the deck good, you really need 3 mana on turn 2. That way you can pair discard with land destruction. If you went the Death's Shadow route, Elves of Deep Shadow are a good choice and a way to augment Birds of Paradise. Both would support Phyrexian Obliterator, which would be pretty badass in the current environment.

Alternatively, you could go full-on jank and play 4x Urborg + 4x Spreading Algae. Urborg supports heavy black decks that splash another color and combos with a 1-mana Sinkhole.

So maybe this to start:
    4x birds of paradise
    2x elves of deep shadow
    4x Death's shadow
    2x plague engineer
    4x phyrexian obliterator

4x thoughtseize
    4x sinkholes
    4x spreading algae
    Xx fatal push
    Xx abrupt decay
    2x sylvan library

21-23 lands

Something that causes Obliterator to fight creatures would also be pretty good, maybe Prey Upon.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Just play tested with this deck. Obliterator sat in my hand FOREVER, not worth playing. The 4 black mana took too long to get out. I was not playing dark ritual so that may be an issue since I was playing birds.

I never really want to cast infernal contract either since it took so much life out of me. Very dangerous.

Maybe you could try Treacherous Blessing? Doesn't nuke your life total, but still provides life loss to feed Death's Shadow.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Just play tested with this deck. Obliterator sat in my hand FOREVER, not worth playing. The 4 black mana took too long to get out. I was not playing dark ritual so that may be an issue since I was playing birds.

I never really want to cast infernal contract either since it took so much life out of me. Very dangerous.
    Yeah, dark Ritual seems important for the Obliterators. Probably not worth 4 copies either. I tested a little bit, loved Elves and I added Birterblossom and a Jitte. I'll try some Rituals. Ritual makes early Sinkholes a lot more reasonable, too. Confidant seems important, as does Sylvan Library.
    Brainstorm Realist

Jun 2010
    Poland, Wrocław

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Yeah, dark Ritual seems important for the Obliterators. Probably not worth 4 copies either. I tested a little bit, loved Elves and I added Birterblossom and a Jitte. I'll try some Rituals. Ritual makes early Sinkholes a lot more reasonable, too. Confidant seems important, as does Sylvan Library.
    Hi I don't think Confidant is important. It's risky, becouse of losing life very quickly. Death's Shadow isn't sexy for this deck. It has no trample. Gatekeeper - so so. It hasn't instant speed. I like sinkholes, but Assassin's Trophy could destroy a land and or other permanent. Vampire Nigthawk are good but... you could chose also Engineer or Hypnotic Specter.

So my Proposition is:

Lands:

4x Bayou
    1x Castle Locthwain - draw in meta game is useful
    1x Forest - you must be careful, becouse of Obliterator, but you need this Forest in case of using Wastelands by your opponent
    1x Lake of the Dead - it's good in this deck, but maybe Karakas, Maze of Ith, Blast Zone or Mortuary Mire do better work - it has to be tested. But if you want to use lands which don't have black you need 2-3 Urborgs. If you want to add them it will be nice to increase land quantity to 22-24.
    1x Overgrown Tomb - Becouse 4 Bayou could not be enough.
    4x Snow-Covered Swamp
    4x Swamp
    4x Verdant Catacombs - I think 4 are fine. You could experiment with 6.

Creatures:

3x Asylum Visitor - you could replace one by painfull Dark Confidant, who can kill you or Sylvan Library, but it hasn't 3 in ATQ.
    4x Guul Draz Assassin - he is your black Mother of Runes
    2x Hypnotic Specter / Vampire Nighthawk, and new guy Murderous Rider - If Specters I'm thinking to use 3.
    3x Nantuko Shade / Tarmogoyf - a lot of deck have a lot of graveyard hate.
    2x Phyrexian Obliterator - best creature ever in black. I'm thinking to add one more.
    1x Tombstalker - I think it is still better than Anger, becouse Fish dosn't fly.
    3x Plague Engineer - very helpful beast. You need him with aggro decks.

Spells:

3x Dark Ritual - it is trouble if you can't use it in late game. In this deck you could use it a a trap for Nantuko or to level up Guul Draz or whatever.

4x Fatal Push - Swords to Plowshares for Black. Other options for one B? Hmmm... too risky - Vendetta.
    4x Assassin's Trophy - Sinkhole & better Abrupt Decay in one card, but we want to have Abrupt in this deck too, becouse of conterspells.
    4x Thoughtseize - yes, you need to have a chance to discard anything you want. Duress and Inquisition of Kozilek are weaker, Cabal Therapy reather not fot this deck.
    3x Hymn To Tourach - discarding two to three cards with Dark Ritual in first turn - yes... can be crucial.
    2x Unmask - this is your black Force of Will. You can't use 4, becouse if you want to do this you had to have min 8 cards which allow you to draw a new cards (like: Dream Salvage, Cling to Dust , Sign in Blood, Skeletal Scrying, Night's Whisper, Tainted Pact).

Other:
    1x Umezawa's Jittle - you could use 2 if you want to.

Sideboard:
    2x Choke -after Thoughtseizes and being countered it's always nice to shot down Islands.
    2x Dystopia - hmmm a lot of decks don't like it very much. :p
    3x Leyline of the Void - it is very important gaveyard hate - decks which havn't black colour use it... :)
    2x Abrupt Decay - becouse it could destroy a lot and can't be countered.
    3x Extirpate - better than Surgical Extraction if you are playing black deck.
    3x Sadistic Sacrament - necessary if you want try to kill combo decks before they kill you.

Best. :)
    Last edited by Jofiel; 04-18-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Ok, wild idea, please feel free to tell me if this is too jank. But, astrolabe and snow permanents are rampant. Can we play Lurrus (in the main not as a companion) and freyalise's radiance as just a better choke? Sac it and replay it every turn

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I like where your thinking is going, but I think there are better options. For that mana investment there are much better cards at fighting Miracles and SnowControl.

Sylvan Library
    Winter Orb
    Choke

Orb requires you to have some sort of mana-denial plan, a low curve, and likely some sort of non-land mana booster (like Birds of Paradise.) Library just feeds you cards, or at least feeds you card quality with fetchlands. Choke costs an extra mana, but still does the job by locking down 2+ lands. In my experience against Snow-based decks they fetch Snow Covered Island the majority of the time, sometimes even having *only* SCI's on the field. Choke can still give you that absurd tempo-stall and let your threats take over.

On top of all that, the cumulative upkeep is really hard to work around. The goal should be to stifle opponents mana while you continue developing. If you have to pay 2 the first turn, 4 the next turn, then sacrifice your enchantment, you are stifled yourself. If you only plan on having it for 2 turns, those turns have to really count. In the right situations it might be incredible, but I'd rather have 'good/great' in all situations rather than 'crazy good in some/useless in others'.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information