Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: [CaNG - WINNER!] MossNought

Re: [CaNG - WINNER!] MossNought

This is what I don't understand. Im fairly new to the game so just an explanation would be good. Ok so you play dreadnaught then activate the bridge playing hulk, then you sacrifice hulk and dreadnaught to its ability but you would have to sac the hulk first because if you sacced the dreadnaught first you would have already sacraficed a total power of 12. So you go and get naughts and shapeshifters but since your top card of your graveyard is a dreadnaught and not hulk how does the combo work since the shapeshifter is copying a dreadnaught? Or am I missing something or can you sac the naught to itself and still sacc the hulk?
    Last edited by gobblor; 04-10-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typing error

you technically sacrifice both at the same time, because the creatures don't hit the graveyard until the ability resolves.

Then the game sees that two creatures want to go to the graveyard, and you get to choose the order that they go to the graveyard in.

I believe this is how this works.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

I think what you're missing is that dreadnought lets you sacrifice creatures with total power 12 or more so you can sac both creatures to his ability.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

Given that you can only combo off turn three at the soonest, how does the deck ever handle Krosan Grip, which destroys both your primary and your secondary path to winning and is widely played ? Maybe some Thoughtseizes or Xantid Swarms might be of use...
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

A well timed Krosan Grip does mess things up for your combo - leaving you with just a Protean Hulk in play at the worst (which isn't horrible). I would say that most decks aren't playing Grip maindeck and I usually side the combo out for the second and third games anyway - If you're worried about Krosan Grip and you've boared in the Counterbalance/Top engine chances are you're trying to keep a 3cc card on top of your library to protect Counterbalance anway.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Has a red splash for REBs/Firesprouts been considered for the sideboard?
    /necro
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Awesome Member
    Jan 2008
    Brookline, MA

I know people were happy with the whole dracoplasm combo package, but just to consider:

sac Hulk into painter's servant and trinket mage (->grindstone) could be interesting. You would have to rework the main deck a little bit... Just throwing it out there.

you can transmute Tolaria West into mosswort

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

absolute genius.

it looks dam amazing. reminds alot of c-breakfast with the protection and all.

i think that this will have trouble against The Rock variants with gofy and discard and all. not exactly sure wat to call it.
    you will run into sinkholes, wastelands, deeds, extirpates, duress's, cabal therapies, hymns, hippies and possibly braids. i think that this match up is definetly one worth mentioning because they essential run at least 30 cards that you never want to see. how do u think the counter top board will do against that?

i believe that if this deck gets good, then The Rock G/B deck variants will also become better. you mite have just altered the format entirely.

i havent read over the rest of this thread's posts but here are some ideas:
    aether vial (great against control for setting up the win)
    summoner's pact (im not sure if u win the turn u resolve your combo but if u do then this would be ideal for finding the hulk)
    echoing truth (against meddling mage)
    thought seize, duress, cabal therapy (if u want extra protection, maybe consider running this, since you have black)
    trinket mage (fetching pithing needles, dread noughts, sensei's diving tops, and engineered explosives seems ideal in certain match ups)
    ESG, lotus petal, or chrome mox (i cant remember if you are running these or not but i dont think you are. test it maybe. it could speed up your game by enough to make aggro obsolete)
    chalice of the void (you are never too good for chalice. especially if you can fetch it with a mage)
    phyrexian negator (im just throwing it out there. but you have a fairly good game against control with your protection. but if you have black, and extra space this wouldnt hurt against your landstill/mono blue match ups. test it.)

Good God, please fix your formatting and use your shift key.

-PR

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Vacrix, the deck isn't nearly prominent (or good) enough to change the metagame. :P

On the other hand, black-based decks don't actually give me trouble. The hardest match-ups, by far, are Dragon Stompy and Landstill (Landstill actually needs to be tested more -- it may not be as bad as it once seemed).

I haven't been able to attend many tournaments recently, unfortunately: only three locals and a tournament in Hadley. Including two t4s at the local (which doesn't say much) and 3-3 at Hadley. The 3-3 at Hadley was actually much better than it may seem; I started out 3-0, and then proceeded to lose 1-2 to TES (Bryant) who gave me amazing tiebreakers, 1-2 to Dragon Stompy (Slay), and 0-2 to Threshold (Nickrit). Winning any of those three would have guaranteed a spot in the t8, but I basically crapped out near the end of the day.

There has been someone t8ing at 20-something person tournaments. Not exactly sure where these tournaments took place, but he t8ed at the two most recent ones (6 + 7 Torneo Liga Petrerense Legacy).

I've been having a lack of good ideas lately... so my list has remained looking the same.

Current SB
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Top
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Academy Ruins
    4 Blue Elemental Blast
    Last edited by iOWN; 06-14-2008 at 07:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggl3s
    Ya, your such an amazing player iOwn (should be changed to iPwn FTW) you surpass me with your amazing chalice 1 skillzorz

Banned

Aug 2008
    Hi, I'm Cavius, and everyone knew it. However, I just couldn't keep quiet and be happy with the mod

Any updates on this deck? I rarely hear about it or seen it played in tournaments. Is this deck totally off the radar for any particular reason? I remember hearing people rave about it.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by MTG Guru View Post
    Any updates on this deck? I rarely hear about it or seen it played in tournaments. Is this deck totally off the radar for any particular reason? I remember hearing people rave about it.
    Afaik, yes, very few people play it. People have opted towards Dreadstill, and Dreadstill/g is extremely similar to MossNought, some of the only differences being no combo (w/ maindeck countertop), and the Standstill/Manland engine. Dreadstill is more appealing to play, especially because of its tournament results.

For those who were earlier skeptical of the usefulness of the combo: the more and more I play this deck, the more I disagree. Hate for Dreadnought is so common that most games in which I resolve a Stifle-Nought have barely begun. The main selling point to comboing off is that it's a one-turn clock; going off against a tapped-out opponent is simply easier than protecting Dreadnought for 3 turns. At GenCon I probably won more games via combo than a stifled 'nought.
    Ya, your such an amazing player iOwn (should be changed to iPwn FTW) you surpass me with your amazing chalice 1 skillzorz

Banned

Aug 2008
    Hi, I'm Cavius, and everyone knew it. However, I just couldn't keep quiet and be happy with the mod

What were your overall results at Gencon? I brought up the subject becuase I believe this deck has great potential.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

2nd in the 40-person prelim (lost to konsultant at 2 in the morning), 4-3-1 in the actual event (frowns), and X-1 in the Legacy event the next day (lost to konsultant again).

In the main event I lost to Landstill twice, 1-2 both times. I was hoping to see scrubs, random aggro, or even Goblins... didn't happen. :P

Thread Information