Thread: Split second: Sudden shock

Well Known For Being Well-Known
    Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Split second: Sudden shock

It is MY TURN.

I play a lightning bolt and a sudden shock, then pass priority.

Is that a legal move?

what can my opponent do to contrast my lightning bolt?

what if was not my turn (so I don't have priority first) ?

thanks.
    Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Re: Split second: Sudden shock

Your turn or his turn, it does not matter, your opponent can let Sudden Shock resolve and then counter Lightning Bolt. Is this the answer you were looking for?

The only difference is that on his turn, your opponent has the chance to counter Lightning Bolt before you can play Sudden Shock - he gets priority first.
    Last edited by Nihil Credo; 01-14-2008 at 07:23 PM.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Do I look like a guy with a plan?
    Apr 2007
    East Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Rinello View Post
    It is MY TURN.

I play a lightning bolt and a sudden shock, then pass priority.

Is that a legal move?

what can my opponent do to contrast my lightning bolt?

what if was not my turn (so I don't have priority first) ?

thanks.

It will happen like this, Sudden Shock Will resolve, then your opponent can respond to the bolt or he can just respond to the bolt. You have to give your opponent a chance to respond, it's not who ever plays faster wins...
    Team Fat Man & Little Boy

Quote Originally Posted by pingveno View Post
    On to stone rain, Clark Kant; is a 'timewalk' as good as a threat?

GOB: The Gathering
    Dec 2007

I'll answer your question for 4 Chain Lightnings

The way I understand it, your opponent gets to react to the LB before you can cast the Sudden Shock, no matter whose turn it is. Putting the LB on the stack is a move that "passes priority" in the current parlance.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mujadaddy View Post
    The way I understand it, your opponent gets to react to the LB before you can cast the Sudden Shock, no matter whose turn it is. Putting the LB on the stack is a move that "passes priority" in the current parlance.
    Wrong. After a spell or ability is played, priority is returned to the active player. If it's your turn, you can play a bunch of instants in a row and your opponent won't get to do anything before they're already on the stack.

Please read my signature.

Jul 2004

Nihil is correct. It's only when you pass priority (which you can retain for a bunch of spells) that the spells start resolving though. I've done it a bunch of times with Solidarity. You know, whenever I needed to Twincast something.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Rules
    408.1c The active player gets priority at the beginning of most phases and steps, after any game
    actions are dealt with and abilities that trigger at the beginning of that phase or step go on the
    stack. No player gets priority during the untap step and players usually don’t get priority during
    the cleanup step (see rule 314.3). The player with priority may play a spell or ability, take a
    special action, or pass. If he or she plays a spell or ability, or takes a special action, the player
    again receives priority
    ; otherwise, the next player in turn order receives priority. If all players
    pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing), the
    top object on the stack resolves, then the active player receives priority.
    If the stack is empty
    when all players pass in succession, the phase or step ends and the next one begins.
    I bolded the relevant parts. So basically, if you have priority, and you play a spell, you get it again. Also, whenever a spell resolves, the active player is given priority. Interesting to note, though, is that when a player plays a spell or ability, that player gets priority again, even if they aren't the active player. So your opponents can respond to their spells before you can, even if it isn't their turn. Along the same lines, you get the chance to respond to your spells before the opponent, even if you're playing them on your opponent's turn.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Mar 2007

Damn it - and this already came up a couple months ago or so, too. My long-term memory is deteriorating every day.

I believe that currently if you put something on the stack you have to specifically say that you are retaining priority otherwise it is assumed that you are passing to your opponent to respond.
    It is one of those shortcuts that is so often the case that it has been "codeified"

Phasing, cumulative upkeep, echo, fading, flanking, rampage
    Jul 2004
    Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Sacearuse View Post
    It will happen like this, Sudden Shock Will resolve, then your opponent can respond to the bolt or he can just respond to the bolt. You have to give your opponent a chance to respond, it's not who ever plays faster wins...
    This is incorrect. You can retain priority and play another instant in response to your own spell. Once you pass priority, if your opponent passes it back, the last spell on the stack resolves.
    Old Fogey

You're not just wrong, rules say you're a dick!

Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    I believe that currently if you put something on the stack you have to specifically say that you are retaining priority otherwise it is assumed that you are passing to your opponent to respond.
    It is one of those shortcuts that is so often the case that it has been "codeified"
    This is what I was thinking of... Sorry to offer an uninformed guess.

But the practical upshot is that once the Sudden Shock resolves, the opponent can then put stuff on the stack above the Lightning Bolt, right? Sudden Shock isn't a "my stack goes thru, you sUx," is it?

But the practical upshot is that once the Sudden Shock resolves, the opponent can then put stuff on the stack above the Lightning Bolt, right? Sudden Shock isn't a "my stack goes thru, you sUx," is it?
    No, Sudden Shock doesn't work like that.
    I don't know what you mean by "practical upshot"
    Since the stack has been around, items have only resolved one thing at a time.

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Here is a good paragraph on how priority works from the comprehensive rule book:

408.1c The active player gets priority at the beginning of most phases and steps, after any game actions are dealt with and abilities that trigger at the beginning of that phase or step go on the stack. No player gets priority during the untap step and players usually don’t get priority during the cleanup step (see rule 314.3). The player with priority may play a spell or ability, take a special action, or pass. If he or she plays a spell or ability, or takes a special action, the player again receives priority; otherwise, the next player in turn order receives priority. If all players pass in succession (that is, if all players pass without taking any actions in between passing), the top object on the stack resolves, then the active player receives priority. If the stack is empty when all players pass in succession, the phase or step ends and the next one begins.

Dec 2007

Ok, so once P1's Sudden Shock resolves, and P1 doesn't put anything on the stack above the 'Bolt, priority passes to P2.

Right?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Ok, so once P1's Sudden Shock resolves, and P1 doesn't put anything on the stack above the 'Bolt, priority passes to P2.

Right?
    correct

Well Known For Being Well-Known
    Oct 2007
    Milan, Italy

Thank you all,
    no I can understand why solidarity is the tier 1 combo deck.
    Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....

Thread Information