Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Demon Stompy (Black Chalice/Tomb Aggro)

Re: [Deck] Demon Stompy (Black Chalice/Tomb Aggro)

Quote Originally Posted by moOnsteak View Post
    These card refer to the same things. .I think your will is Urborg and Tomb of Urami.
    I think one is the "every land is a swamp" and the other is Tomb of Urami. I think there are some merits to Tomb of Urami by its versatility alone, but I don't know if this deck can handle sacrificing all its lands. Three looks like to many.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I've been giving a shot to Demon stompy and this is the list I came up with.

// Lands
    8 [TE] Swamp (4)
    1 [SOK] Tomb of Urami
    4 [EX] City of Traitors
    4 [TE] Ancient Tomb

// Creatures
    3 [UD] Skittering Horror
    4 [10E] Phyrexian Rager
    4 [US] Priest of Gix
    4 [ON] Grinning Demon
    4 [LE] Graveborn Muse
    4 [LRW] Shriekmaw

// Spells
    3 [DS] Trinisphere
    3 [DS] Sword of Light and Shadow
    2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
    4 [TE] Dark Ritual
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 [DS] Trinisphere
    SB: 4 [7E] Engineered Plague
    SB: 4 [LE] Bane of the Living
    SB: 4 [MM] Unmask
    SB: 2 [FUT] Yixlid Jailer

It's really really fun to play but I would like to add some nether voids but just cant find any slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    I think one is the "every land is a swamp" and the other is Tomb of Urami. I think there are some merits to Tomb of Urami by its versatility alone, but I don't know if this deck can handle sacrificing all its lands. Three looks like to many.
    I play 2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and 3 Tomb of Urami. 3 is a lot but it's also an uncounterable wincondition, and I played several people who didn't realise I could make a token and attacked into it which gave me advantage.

Waikiki, I think Skittering Horror is terrible, you don't want to play it as your first creature. You'll sacrifice it far too often to it's own drawback than you'd like to.

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

So far it didn't gave me any problem since I mostly go like:

T1 chalice or 3sphere.
    T2 Gix + horror

Which gives them 2 cards to deal with and they probably didn't do anything yet if im on the play. Seems pretty good to me.

Do you have any suggestion other then the horror ?

Also what is your recent list?

P.S are you the player that played demon stompy on the utrecht tournament a while ago? I saw you playing then. I was the Dragon stompy player that got 6th.

Ur tears of nerdrage taste so sweet to me.
    Feb 2008
    Do not care.

Rinellos List is pretty strong, i think.
    I play the same^^...

@ Rinello:
    What do u play in your Sideboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Waikiki View Post
    So far it didn't gave me any problem since I mostly go like:

T1 chalice or 3sphere.
    T2 Gix + horror

Which gives them 2 cards to deal with and they probably didn't do anything yet if im on the play. Seems pretty good to me.

Do you have any suggestion other then the horror ?

Also what is your recent list?

P.S are you the player that played demon stompy on the utrecht tournament a while ago? I saw you playing then. I was the Dragon stompy player that got 6th.
    In my opinion Demon Stompy plays too much creatures to play Horror. What if your only creature is Horror and you draw Phyrexian Rager, will you play the Rager and hope for another creature or will you keep the Horror? I think that it forces you to make too much lose / lose decisions in a deck which isn't very consistant. I would suggest to replace it with either Phyrexian Scuta or Bane of the Living.

My current list is on the 2nd page of this thread, and I was in Utrecht 6th January.

I took Demon Stompy to 3 tournaments over the last weeks. I went 3:1, 3:2 and 3:1. I never suspected the deck to be any good, but it works fine.

Some notices:

- Stinkweed Imp is really cool. He gives you a dredgeable removal for most of the creatures played in the format. Equipping him with SoFi is always a good idea. I only play 2 main, because stompy is about making fast damage with fat creatures and 1/2 isn't big enough.

- Grinning Demon can be dropped 1. or 2. turn. He is always bigger then a goyf in that part of the game and can only be stopped bei StP. You loose a lot of life, but thatīs ok until you play against red based decks with much burn spells.

- Priest of Gix. I had some funny game starts with him. Playing 3x Priest + Trinisphere 1. turn happend once and the game was over before it begun. Later in the Game he is just a free blocker or target for your opponents removal.

- Bane of the Living. Playing both Grinning Demon and Bane of the Living is fun, because your opponent never knows, which creature you just played as a morph. Flexible mass removal. Really helpful against token and Goblins.

- Phyrexian Rager. I am not sure about him. 2/2 is to weak. Demon Stompy is not White Weenie. You dont want to overrun your enemy with an army of little guys. You want to have one or two big threads that kill your opponent fast. If i had to choose between Priest or Rager i would choose Priest.

- Umezawa's Jitte Three is minimum. You loose so much life that you want to equip it every game. jitte is although the best card against random.deck.

I played Dragon Stompy and the older version called Empty the Slogger since it exists and switched now to demon stompy. The main reason: to many people play it now and i wanted to try something different. But there are some more arguments:

1. Demon Stompy has better creature removal. Shriekmav and Stinkweed Imp are better then Slogger or Pyrokinesis. Eyery deck plays goyf now and Imp simply kills him and comes back next round. Slogger fires 4 times and then runs out of fuel.

2. Dragon Stompy needs hellbent. This means terrible topdeck all day. Demon
    Stompy draws a lot of cards. 2 Graveborn Muse = 4 extra cards evey round and of course 4 lifeloss.
    Dragon Stompy wants to play chalice, Trinisphere and/or Moon as soon as possible and then kill with hellbent creatures. If you loose these creatures you are really doomed. Having no cards in hand is really game over. You don`t topdeck a new thread every round. Demon Stompy can play chalice and trinisphere first turn too but donīt loose because your creatues got removed.
    You draw more cards then everybody else and can drop threads every round.

3. Black has excellent sideboard cards. Leyline of the void is the best gravehate card (in my opinion) and if you fear ichorid or breakfast you can put in yixlid yailer too. Goblins arnīt played so much these days, but you will find them on eyery bigger tournament. 4 plagues for the win!

My actual list:

[MAIN]

4x Grinning Demon
    3x Shriekmaw
    2x Stinkweed Imp
    4x Phyrexian Rager
    4x Priest of Gix
    3x Graveborn Muse
    3x Bane of the Living

2x Trinisphere
    4x Chalice of the Void

3x Umezawa`s Jitte
    2x Sword of Fire and Ice

4x Dark Ritual
    4x Chrome Mox

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Y.
    1x Tomb of Urami
    8x Swamp

[SB]

4x Leyline of the Void
    4x Engineered Plague
    2x Tinisphere
    5x OPEN SLOTS (Duress, Perish, etc. - depends on meta)

Survivalist
    Sep 2007
    Netherlands

I always liked SOLS over SOFI because of the lifegain + shriekmaw recursion.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

I'm glad someone finally agrees with me about Stinkweed Imp. One of the best things he lets you do however is run Tombstalker. Did you ever try him?
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

I will try SoLS the next tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I'm glad someone finally agrees with me about Stinkweed Imp. One of the best things he lets you do however is run Tombstalker. Did you ever try him?
    Stinkweed Imp can do great things. I have won some games just because of him, but i although lost to burn and other red intensive aggro decks, because dealing 1 damage every round is not enough. Thats the reason why i donīt play 4 anymore. I like the synergy between Tombstalker and Imp and i will try it. The problem with tombstalker is that you dont get much cards into your grave. you have 4 rituals and maybe you can counter a jitte if you got chalice@2. Stinkweed Imp needs to die first and the opponents i played didnīt attack because of him and waited for a topdeck removal.

Maybe its wrong to say Imp is a good removal, its a card that says "dont attack me and wait for a solution".

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Two questions.

1. Is there a reason this deck doesn't run Contagion? Slaughtering Goblins is fun, so I hear, as is hitting Cephalid Illusionists and Whatever-En-Kors, Nantuko Shades, Dark Confidants, and so forth. As is -4/-2'ing annoying guys like Tarmogoyf for sneaky combat tricks when it's attacking or blocking.

2. Is there a reason this deck doesn't run Gathan Raiders? It's a better black creature than half of the guys in the current list, and it allows for mass confusion of opponents with Grinning Demon (They'll be like, whytf is he -morphing- a Grinning Demon?) Also dodges the occasional random pro-black thing, in case those still exist.

My current black Chalice Aggro list looks like this.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    8 Swamp

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Contagion
    3 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Sword of Light and Shadow

4 Mercenary Knight
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Priest of Gix
    4 Grinning Demon
    4 Eastern Paladin
    4 Bane of the Living

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Contagion
    4 Pithing Needle

I admit I'd never tested out Graveborn Muse. Any good?

EDIT: Also, Eastern Paladin? Good.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    Two questions.

1. Is there a reason this deck doesn't run Contagion? Slaughtering Goblins is fun, so I hear, as is hitting Cephalid Illusionists and Whatever-En-Kors, Nantuko Shades, Dark Confidants, and so forth. As is -4/-2'ing annoying guys like Tarmogoyf for sneaky combat tricks when it's attacking or blocking.

2. Is there a reason this deck doesn't run Gathan Raiders? It's a better black creature than half of the guys in the current list, and it allows for mass confusion of opponents with Grinning Demon (They'll be like, whytf is he -morphing- a Grinning Demon?) Also dodges the occasional random pro-black thing, in case those still exist.
    1) Well, it's a good card no doubt, it's just tough to find a slot depending on the build. The deck already runs Shriekmaw, equipment, and perhaps a few of thos XBB choose two spells (Profane Command?) as removal, so dedicating more mainboard slots to removal can be tricky, sort of like mainboarding Pyrokenisis in DS. The sideboard already has Leyline (or Jailer) and Plague, so it might not be worth extra slots there. I think I might mainboard it in a more Hellbent-ish build (more on this below).

2) Certain builds can have a damn hard time getting Hellbent between all the 4cc guys, Profane Command, Nether Void, Trini + Ritual (if anyone does that) and Shriekmaw. Plus, it's occasionally a killer with Mox. I would like to try out a more hellbent build with Raiders and Demons Jester. Note that that would bring Demon Stompy up to three quality morphers (Grinning D, Bane, and Raiders) which could all be dropped off a Priest of Gix. Worth a look at at least.

Edit: I can't imagine Eastern Paladin actually being better than Shriekmaw on a regular basis. I also HATE Mercenary Knight after testing him. Making me discard a creature is a KILLER. I've been fooling around with the like 2/2 hasty flyer whose echo is discarding a card. Of course, my build is a tad more equipment heavy and runs Bitterblossom.
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Two questions.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Swamp

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Contagion
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Mercenary Knight
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Priest of Gix
    4 Grinning Demon
    4 Eastern Paladin
    4 Bane of the Living

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Contagion
    4 Pithing Needle

Tacosnape: I'm thrilled to see that you play Sword of Light and Shadow over SofI in this deck. I came to the realization that Sword of Light and Shadow has better synergy with Ancient Tombs, while testing a wide variety of decks. I'm glad to see someone else put that logic to use.

Have you considered Solemn Simulacrum? He could be pretty good:

- Finds colored mana (BB for your creatures)
    - Nice synergy with City of Traitors to get to 5 mana
    - He cantrips
    - He can carry equipment :)
    - He can't be imprinted to Chrome Mox

Is he strong enough?

I don't have any experience playing this deck, but i have an idea. Bitterblossom and contamination could be used as alock piece. Perhaps too much life is lost already, though.

As well, planar void should be used over jailer, because it has the ability to keep goyfs small.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by romain7 View Post
    As well, planar void should be used over jailer, because it has the ability to keep goyfs small.
    Better not. You usually want Chalice of the Void against Goyf decks.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

For hellbent demon stompy?

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Two questions.

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    8 Swamp

4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dark Ritual

4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Contagion
    3 Umezawa's Jitte

4 Mercenary Knight
    4 Gathan Raiders
    4 Priest of Gix
    4 Grinning Demon
    4 Eastern Paladin
    4 Bane of the Living

SB:
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Contagion
    4 Pithing Needle

Just out of curiosity, if Juzam Djinn was affordable (moneywise) would you still play Grinning Demon over it? And is Grinning Demon better than Plague Sliver, per say? Or do you need a bigger body to block Goyfs?
    Last edited by Cavius The Great; 03-08-2008 at 08:11 PM.

Thread Information