Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Deck] Food Chain

Re: [CaNG] Food Chain

Hoarder's Greed can be very potent in a deck like this although it suffers because it's not a creature.

Slithermuse should, at minimum, be considered.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Slithermuse is surpisingly, not that good. You often fill your hand with cards (mostly lands of course), and when you discard them to cultivator, you draw into even more lands. The deck has a pretty nice draw engine, and I don't think Slithermuse's really good modcombo. Not in this build.
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

I like the way this deck works, but I'm not really too convinced about dropping down around $280 for four cards I'll never use in any other legacy deck (recruiter is so overpriced lol), so I was wondering what would be suitable replacement for playing this deck irl.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

I personnally think that recruiter is antiproductive in this deck. For sure, it's not essential. All the other cards are either cheap or very useful in legacy in general.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Of course, this is not a place for website-advertising, but I eBayed four recruiters for 50$. It's not THAT expensive nor essential. I got a recruiterless build:

3 Fierce Empath
    4 Court Hussar
    4 Raven Familiar
    4 Mulldrifter
    3 Myojin of Seeing Winds
    2 Nantuko Cultivator
    2 Skyshroud Cutter
    1 Vine Dryad
    1 Iname As One
    1 Mournwhelk
    1 Maga, Traitor To Mortals
    1 Æthersnipe

4 Food Chain
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Summoner's Pact

1 Tropical Island
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Savvanah
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors

See any difference? LACK OF FOW. FoW is, what I learned later on, absolutely necessary for going off. You won't fizzle as you often draw your entire deck, making it possible to win the counterwar and finally resolving a lethal maga. You can easily see a difference with the mana base, creature choices, no alternate win condition and the inclusion of summoner's pact. Mournwhelk and Æthersnipe are included due to mana acceleration and minor disruption. Bouncing a Meddling Mage can be important.

Even though, a recruiterless build is strictly inferior to a build with Recruiter even though it's still playable. Did I mention that this - recruiterless - build won a deckbuilding competition in Copenhagen? If not, then you've heard it now :P

A larger competition means of course a better decklist. The list in this post wouldn't do for the competition. The list with recruiter will, IMO.

-DownSyndromeKarl

Here's an idea for your deck:
    Pact of Negation

No card disadvantage like Fow, and it's downside only matters if you fail to go off anyway, in which case you've already lost. Cost's 0 mana, and doesn't stunt the land base like Daze. Only thing is that it sucks to discard (whoops said removal), which your deck might not actually care to much about, what with all the drawing creatures in it.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

FoW is the best, sorry to say. A lot of blue cards are used in the deck which makes FoW playable. You don't need to worry about the card disadvantage.

-DownSyndromeKarl

I guess Fow is better for protecting your food chain during the one turn that you are vulnerable... Thanks for posting the "budget" one anyway. It's a fun deck to play that's for sure.

Re: [Deck] Food Chain

I've been thinking about a pretty similar idea to this deck, but maybe mangling it by adding Affinity creatures (as they can end up giving a lot of mana).

First, I would add a single Elvish Spirit Guide. Either with Imperial Recruiter or Summoner's Pact, you can go fetch for it so you have the green mana to cast Food Chains under a Blood Moon effect.

Second, as an alternative to Raven Familiar / Court Hussar / Fierce Empath one could consider Llanowar Empath. I think that Fierce Empath is a bit poor because it can only fetch Myojin, Aethersnipe and Mournwhelk.

Third, there must be a way to search and sneak an enchantment into play ala Academy Rector. I would love to see a way to put it into play without actually playing it, mainly as a way to dodge Meddling Mage.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

've been thinking about a pretty similar idea to this deck, but maybe mangling it by adding Affinity creatures (as they can end up giving a lot of mana).

First, I would add a single Elvish Spirit Guide. Either with Imperial Recruiter or Summoner's Pact, you can go fetch for it so you have the green mana to cast Food Chains under a Blood Moon effect.

Second, as an alternative to Raven Familiar / Court Hussar / Fierce Empath one could consider Llanowar Empath. I think that Fierce Empath is a bit poor because it can only fetch Myojin, Aethersnipe and Mournwhelk.

Third, there must be a way to search and sneak an enchantment into play ala Academy Rector. I would love to see a way to put it into play without actually playing it, mainly as a way to dodge Meddling Mage.
    Hmm, the affinity core has never really been tried, but I have some pre-testing concerns:

That makes us scoop to SB'ed Shattering Sprees, pernicious deed and the like. But it's an idea that for sure will be tested. Then you could play out tall men early, stall against aggro, then wait for food chain to resolve to gain affinity and end it up with i.e. a hasted ravager. Sounds cool.

Summoner's Pact isn't run in the current list. This is because of the inclusion of a singleton storm entity. If it isn't lethal, you lose the game under a pact. The good thing is that you can sit with i.e. a 8/8 dude and smash the opponent in the following turns.

Llanowar Empath sucks. Why would you play it over Raven Familiar or court hussar?

Enlightened Tutor is in fact, and excellent way of searching up the chain. I have currently no better alternative as academy rector would require us to play more acceleration, maybe some cabal therapies or other sac outlets.

Anyway, interesting suggestion about affinity. I'll try it.

-DownSyndromeKarl

Mar 2008
    Netherlands

I have made my own version of this. I decided that this combo is fragile, and needs to have a backup plan. Ill post my list without FoW

4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Mulldrifter
    4 Shriekmaw
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Sakura Tribe Elder
    2 Fierce Empath
    2 Myojin of seeing winds
    4 Raven Familiar
    4 Drift of Phantasms
    1 Maga, traitor to mortals
    4 Food Chain
    1 Vedalken Shackles
    1 Pernicious Deed
    1 Sword of Light and Shadow

22 Land

The main reason this list is cool, is the Drift of Phantasms. Not only does it search for a Food Chain, it also searched for your toolbox which can swing games. I found that having your creatures equiped with SoLS can be devating, returning all the goodies from the bin back to your hand. Deed and Shackles also fit the toolbox nicely.

The second addition are the Sakura Tribe Elders. They make it possible for you to reach 5 land and start hardcasting Shriekmaws and Mulldrifters. making life misserable for your opponent.

I know you lose court hussar. but you can also transmute for fierce empath making you able to go off with chain.
    I hope to get some feedback on this list so i can try to improve it.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Although this deck is not hit by Counterbalance at all (with the exception of Enlightened Tutor), you're right. Combo's too fragile with all the FoW aggro-control decks running rampant. This deck definetely needs a backup.

As I can see, you've got problems reaching 20BBB. I haven't tested it though and I can't see it right now. But in the meantime, I've thought about using same strategy like the newer survival lists. A serious backup plan like NQG, and using Food Chain as an accelerant. This could be some combat tricks:

Goyf vs. Goyf say both 3/4, damage on the stack, removing goyf to flash in Cloudthresher, evoke, remove to play bogardan hellkite dealing some final damage. I don't know if it would work, but I'm tinkering with a sketch list.

Otherwise, after all Drift of Phantasms is really good, and the toolbox idea is nice too :D

-DownSyndromeKarl

Fart Confidant
    Feb 2008

Have anyone consider Cream of the Crop? It rocks with evoke spells

Nov 2007
    Denmark

It would require a lot of extra cards I think. But of course, it would be really nice with Mulldrifter and Primal Forcemage.

-DownSyndromeKarl

Thread Information