Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Compact Combos

Re: List of Compact Combos

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Angel's Grace+Ad Nauseam -> Death's Shadow+Fling is almost a sensible way to win.

There's no multiplying in magic.
    There's no rule against it, they've just never printed "multiply" as a word on a card. Plenty of cards actually require you to do multiplication (the Devour general from the last Planechase, for example.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There's no multiplying in magic.
    There are at least two cards which call for a 3x multiplier.

Burn at the Stake
    Martyr of Sands

Martyr of Sands actually has seen play, if not in Legacy -- Modern Soul Sisters did (maybe does) use this card to further its plan.

There are other cards that use the phrase "two times" instead of "double" which I don't know if their verbiage renders them "multiplication" instead of "doubling", but w/e. Cards like Debt to the Deathless.

Other cards implicitly multiply; for example any Devour creature with a number greater than 1 does say "twice that many/three times that many/X times that many", notably Thunder-Thrash Elder and Thromok the Insatiable. Creatures with Amplify have a similar effect but I don't think they are strictly multiplying; they say "put X +1/+1 counters on -this- for each -type- card you reveal".

sent from phone, don't be a dick
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 03-29-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I wonder if Sakura-Tribe Scout would be any good with Quirion Ranger. It seems to be able to generate silly amounts of mana, especially with Lotus Cobra involved. Probably not Legacy-playable, though.

Edit: Might be pretty silly in Modern with Scryb Ranger, though.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Come'on, let's use some real Skyshroud Ranger here. Same thing, but Elf!
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Come'on, let's use some real Skyshroud Ranger here. Same thing, but Elf!
    Skyshroud Ranger has the sorcery speed limitation while Sakura-Tribe Scout doesn't. Most notably relevant when you want to repeat the combo on your opponent's turn.

Vintage

Apr 2005
    West Coast Degeneracy

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Skyshroud Ranger has the sorcery speed limitation while Sakura-Tribe Scout doesn't. Most notably relevant when you want to repeat the combo on your opponent's turn.
    Oh man that sucks totally missed that part.
    West side
    Find me on MTGO as Koby or rukcus -- @MTGKoby on Twitter
    * Maverick is dead. Long live Maverick!
    My Legacy stream
    My MTG Blog - Work in progress

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Koby View Post
    Oh man that sucks totally missed that part.
    I'm not sure whether or not it's worth it. If you aren't looking for the specific creature type, Scout is strictly better.

I'm currently working on a GW Hatebear build for Modern since I found a list that resembles Maverick a bit more than the traditional hatebear lists. The Loam lock is fun, but when you're limited to a single land drop per round and you're stuck with subpar Strip Mine knock-offs, it's going to take a while to get the lock going. Hence throwing in the combo to speed things up a bit once you get Loam. Let's see how it goes.

Aug 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca

Please let us know if something works. I can only find modern and standard around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktkenshinx View Post
    The Reserved List is a) not legally binding, b) antiquated, c) broken, and d) preventative of maximum game enjoyment. Wizards will remove as many cards from that list as possible to increase the fun of their game. Using market research, they can find a balance between printing enough cards to lower a price from $40 to $15-$20, and not utterly ruining their value. This will be both an economically feasible AND sensible move.
    -ktkenshinx-

Horn of Greed makes a combo of it

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bakofried View Post
    Please let us know if something works. I can only find modern and standard around here.
    Was rather meh.

I'm toying with Time of Need now. I'm testing Thalia, Teeg, Brimaz, Hokori, Kataki, Mangara and Sigarda as legends right now. Anything else I should consider? Polukranos seems a tad bid expensive for what it does.

And just for funsies, Steelshaper's Gift + SoFaI + SoLaS + Batterskull because - why not?

We have a new set, and so we have some new combos!

Thethmos High Priest + Darkblast

Start with Priest in play and Darkblast in hand. Target priest with Darkblast and reanimate a small creature (Bob?) from the yard. Then dredge for the turn, probably putting another dork in your graveyard, and cast Darkblast again to return a second creature. In this way you’ll churn out a pair of 2cc dudes each turn for BB.

You can get more silly depending on what those dorks are. Elvish Visionary and similar cards give you more dredges, provided you have pumped your Priest somehow to withstand the darkblasts.

Riptide Chimera + Mystic Remora

Or anything with cumulative upkeep, really. Chimera shines in a way that his artifact-bouncing jellyfish cousin never did because cumulative upkeep exists. He gets around it in a big way! Remora becomes U to maintain for the rest of the game. Dystopia crushes decks that rely on green or white permanents. Elephant Grass destroys black decks, and Energy Storm helps against Burn, although during the window when you bounce it they can still hit you with instant-speed spells.

Also props to Act of Authority, which exiles an artifact or enchantment for 1WW each turn!

Sage of Hours + Varolz, the Scar-Striped + Fauna Shaman or Survival of the Fittest + Phyrexian Drednought

This one isn’t as bad as it seems at first blush. You really just need Shaman or Survival and two creatures in your hand to assemble the rest. Surivial pitches two somethings to get Dreadnought and Varolz in your hand. You pitch Dreadnought to get Sage, then cast Varolz and Sage. Scavenge the Dreadnought onto your Sage and remove the counters for two extra turns. During those two turns, you just have to survival up another Nought in the yard to keep going - probably not too hard to do with two free turns. With a full playset of Noghts, we’re talking 8 extra turns, many of them with a 13/13 beater.

Goyf can do a fairly decent Nought impression here, too, but you’re only going to get one free turn off of scavenging him.

Thassa’s Ire + anything that can tap for 5 or more mana.

There’s not many cards that fit the bill here; a fully loaded [cards]Bloom Tender[/card] is one of them. Two market festivals on an animated land will do it, too. There are simply easier ways to get infinite mana than this, but as another untap effect that does not require tapping, Ire should always be in consideration for those kind of combos.

Master of the Feast + Notion Thief

Kinda self explanatory. Turns Master’s disadvantage into an advantage. If only Master did not suck so hard on its own...

Kruphix’ Insight + Animate Dead or Dance of the Dead or Necromancy + fattie

Insight sets you up in a big way for an animate dead effect. It lets you bin the fattie and then draw into an animate spell, meaning you are getting a fattie from the top 6 cards of your library into play for 5 mana total.

Disciple of Deceit + Fatestitcher

I’m not quite sure how to break this yet, but it sure as heck seems doable. It’s a tutor effect that interacts strongly with untap effects, which are already broken as heck anyway.

So, let’s assume you manage to get Disciple active, a fatestitcher in hand, and at least one other way to untap a creature floating around. Pitch the Fatestitcher to get another stitcher. Pay U to get Stitcher onto the battlefield. Go to attack step, tapping Disciple, and use first Stitcher to untap Disciple, pitching fatestitcher to get Armed // Dangerous. Pay U to Unearth fatestitcher no. 2 and untap disciple a second time to pitch Armed to go get Illusionist’s Bracers. Cast and equip bracers on a Fatestitcher, and get him untapped somehow. Now you have infinite triggers of Disciple and infinite mana. One imagines you could find a way to win from here.

Alternatively you have:

Disciple of Deceit + Aura of Dominion

Which allows you to just get all the things. By using a few strategically placed split cards, it should be trivial to assemble cheap combos this way like Vault+Key, Painter+Stone, Helm+RiP, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post

Disciple of Deceit + Aura of Dominion

Which allows you to just get all the things. By using a few strategically placed split cards, it should be trivial to assemble cheap combos this way like Vault+Key, Painter+Stone, Helm+RiP, etc.
    In a deck with lots of fast mana, Pain Seer + Aura of Dominion is a sort of second-rate Ad Nauseam, so you can assemble that, and then storm out. (I doubt it's particularly viable though.)

I think this is the current most efficient Doomsday combo:

[TOP]
    Ideas Unbound
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Street Wraith
    Call to the Netherworld
    Laboratory Maniac
    [BOTTOM]

Draw Ideas Unbound, cast it, Play LED, Cycle Street Wraith, in response crack LED for UUU, Street Wraith returns to hand, use your LED mana to cast Maniac, cycle Street Wraith again for the win.

In total, this requires Doomsday + any draw effect from hand (such as a Gitaxian Probe, another cantrip, or passing the turn) and UU (as well as 4+ life post-Doomsday).

This is more strenuous on the life total than other Doomsday combos but it is also the most efficient in terms of extra draws and mana needed.

Total cards required from hand: 1 (Doomsday)
    Total mana required: 5 (UUBBB for Doomsday + Ideas Unbound)
    Total "dead" cards required in deck: 3 - LED, Call to the Netherworld, and Laboratory Maniac (I believe Street Wraith and Ideas Unbound are justifiable in general, and LED might also be justifiable in general in order to help cast Doomsday)

I believe this is the only Doomsday pile that requires only a single draw (to access Ideas Unbound) and only two mana (to cast Ideas Unbound).

This thread has been criminally under-updated. C'mon people, keep it going! I'll contribute with the combos from our new sets, Conspiracy and M15.

Brago, King Eternal + Aurelia, the Warleader

Attack with both. Aurelia triggers, untapping Brago and giving you an extra combat step. If Brago gets in for damage, then blink Aurelia. She returns as a new creature and has no memory that she attacked previously. Rinse and repeat for infinite attack steps. Of course, if you're getting in with two expensive fliers, did you really need infinite combat steps anyway? Eh.

Grenzo, Dungeon Warden + Amass the Components, Ancient Stirrings, Anurid Scavenger, anything with Scry or Cascade.

I dont know if this is really a combo exactly, but Genzo plays very nicely with effects that put things on the bottom of your library. Using Ancient Stirrings to stack a whole bunch of dorks on the bottom lets you live the dream of spamming them all out with 2 colorless per dork.

Marchesa, the Black Rose + Triskeleon

So Trike is a 1/1 with 3 counters on it. Remove 2 counters to have Trike shoot itself dead. It will return to the battlefield. Repeat for infinite ETB triggers. Unlike Trike's combo with Mike, this doesn't win the game immediately, sadly.

Marchesa, the Black Rose + Undying

Again, pretty obvious, but Marchesa allows any creature with undying (either naturally or in conjunction with Mike) to come back to the battlefield as much as you like.

And then we have M15:

Boonweaver Giant + Eldrazi Conscription

Boonweaver is just a slightly larger version of another card from Ravnica that has the effect of letting you go fetch a singleton Conscription from your deck. He's probably worse at this than his predecessor, because you'd rather have a 6 drop 12/12 than a 7 drop 14/14, but he's an option to enable this combo in EDH I guess.

Hushwing Gryff + Phyrexian Drednought or any of the Hunted creatures.

Again, not a big surprise, but Gryff combos with cards with negative ETB triggers just like Topor Orb.

Spirt Bonds + Shrieking Drake

This is kind of a lame combo, but hey... you can keep recasting Drake, bouncing it to itself, to make as many 1/1 Sprit tokens as you like for UW a pop.

Jalira, Master Polymorphist + tokens + Blightsteel Colossus

Jalira does not hit herself - it only hits non-legendary creatures - so she does a perfect impression of [card]Polymorph[/card] in decks that want to use this kind of combo.

Jorubai Murk Lurker + Volcano Hellion

So it turns out that there are actually very few ways to give a creature lifelink at instant speed. [card]Alabaster Mage,[/card], [card]Azorius Charm[/card], [card]Cruel Feeding[/card], etc. Doing so with Volcano Hellion allows you to gain infinite life. You put the ETB on the stack with X = 1,000,000 or whatever, targeting some creature or other (probably the Hellion itself so you can fizzle the ability if they respond somehow). Then you keep priority and give Hellion lifelink before it resolves. Viola - you simultaneously lose X life and gain 2X life. Nice. Murk Lurker is in the totally wrong colors for this trick, but if you want to run this combo in Grixis - NOW YOU CAN.

Necromancer's Stockpile + Gravecrawler

Grats on the two zombies for 1BB.

Ob Nixilis, Unshackled + Maulen of the Mornsong

Grats on your million mana win condition.

Aggressive Mining + Venser, the Sojourner

Grants on your million mana draw engine.

Kurkesh, Onakke Ancient + Time Vault

Does Rings of Brighthearth do a thing? Then Kurkesh can do that thing, too. If you give up one turn to untap Vault, for example, Kurkesh ensures you take all the turns thereafter. Unlike Rings, however, he doesn't go infinite with Monolith because he costs red. Oh well. EDH?

Carnivorous Moss-Beast + infinite mana

This is another outlet for infinite mana. Here, infinite mana equals infinite Moss-Beast. These kind of win-the-game mana sinks are usually worth noting for EDH purposes if nothing else.

Hornet Nest + Earthquake or similar cards.

Nest is actually the second iteration of this kind of card. They previously did it with [card]Sabre Ants[/card], but the card was more expensive and the resulting creatures were less powerful. They both share one fatal flaw; the resulting creatures only have one toughness, meaning they croak to repeatable effects like [card]Pyrohemia[/card] or [card]Pesilence[/card]. That's a shame, because those are the only realistic ways this ability is going to see play. Well, that or [card]Shivan Meteor[/card], lol.

Yisan, the Wanderer Bard + Fierce Empath + Elvish Piper

Aight, so starting on turn five or six you can drop fatties. Pretty bad.

Yisan, the Wanderer Bard + Viscera Seer + Melira, Sylvok Outcast + Kitchen Finks

Three turns after casting Yisan and having your opponent ignore it, you win. Congrats.

Thats all that I noticed that was worth mentioning.
    Last edited by MaximumC; 03-19-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Site Contributor
    Jan 2012
    Manhattan, NY

Play 4 Card Blind!

Currently Playing
    Legacy: Dark Depths
    EDH: 5-Color Hermit Druid

Currently Brewing: [Deck] Sadistic Sacrament / Chalice NO Eldrazi

why cards are so expensive...hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by apple713 View Post
    Thats fine and all, but Solitary Confinement is probably just better than Delaying Shield.

P.S. Someone needs to update this thread with new combos from the new printings!

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I wanted to build an all common/uncommon Simic EDH deck that revolves around card combos. So far, I have Defender Ramp (creatures that produce multiple mana and a means to untap them and Ghostly Flicker based)

Any ideas for this would be great!
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I wanted to build an all common/uncommon Simic EDH deck that revolves around card combos. So far, I have Defender Ramp (creatures that produce multiple mana and a means to untap them and Ghostly Flicker based)

Any ideas for this would be great!
    I would go with either Edric or Mormir Vig and make yourself Legacy Elves, basically. Most of the components of that deck are common or uncommon anyway, so getting to a point where untap effects like Pemmin's Aura or Umbral Mantle go infinite should not be too challenging.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

@Grenzo - I know this is a bad bad card, but in my search for "stack the bottom of your library" tech I came across Stomping Slabs. I don't even care if Slabs never deals 7; it throws the top 7 to the bottom in any order, and so Grenzo can go to work. For that matter, Erratic Explosion would do similar, but it could just whiff and actually deal damage on the first card or three. :/

@Ob-Nix Unshackled - So, no love for Fertilid? :(

One thing I know would just be *awful* but I'd love to do in a casual deck - Glittering Lion/Lynx/Knight of the Holy Nimbus/any lousy dude with "An opponent may pay :x: to dick you over" + Suppression Field. The idea being that Suppression Field is only good for you, and only bad for them because they probably thought they could play equipment or fetchlands or something. Heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    @Grenzo - I know this is a bad bad card, but in my search for "stack the bottom of your library" tech I came across Stomping Slabs. I don't even care if Slabs never deals 7; it throws the top 7 to the bottom in any order, and so Grenzo can go to work. For that matter, Erratic Explosion would do similar, but it could just whiff and actually deal damage on the first card or three. :/

@Ob-Nix Unshackled - So, no love for Fertilid? :(

One thing I know would just be *awful* but I'd love to do in a casual deck - Glittering Lion/Lynx/Knight of the Holy Nimbus/any lousy dude with "An opponent may pay :x: to dick you over" + Suppression Field. The idea being that Suppression Field is only good for you, and only bad for them because they probably thought they could play equipment or fetchlands or something. Heh.
    Wouldn't Dig Through Time just be better with Grenzo? Explosion is going to get you at most one creature on bottom, and Slabs does completely nothing on it's own. Granted it's a third color, but it's the color Blue, so who cares how many other colors there are amirite!??!

You could also do tricky things with Bloodbraid Elf and high-costed guys, but that "less than or equal to" clause probably ruins it unless you're getting something cute like Gigantomancer.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

Thread Information