Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Compact Combos

Re: List of Compact Combos

The Buried Alive combo mentioned above is...

2/4/3 I believe.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Academy Rector + Diabolic Intent

2/6/2

Rector gets Hive Mind, while Intent can find the Pact of choice. Alternatively, Rector/Intent can pull Near-Death Experience and Plunge into Darkness.

Slow, but funny.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

If I understand the formula correctly, it goes Cards/Mana/Support Cards

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet:

Pestermite +Splinter Twin 2/6/0

This is a more efficient form of Kiki-Mite. You can cast Pestermite during your opponent's EOT, then cast Splinter Twin targeting Pestermite on your turn, tap the Pestermite to make a copy of it, untap the original, repeat to make infinite hasty Pestermites. Luckily you're playing blue, so you can include Force of Will and Pact of Negation for protection. You can also tap the combo in response to removal and just stack the hell out of it.

Fyndhorn Elder + Freed from the Real + Orochi Leafcaller 3/6/2

Infinite mana engine, but horribly weak to removal. The traditional support card is Petals of Insight to sift through your entire library for a single Banefire. Any counterspell with x in it like Condescend work well as support, but Force of Will or Pact of Negation are typically better to protect the combo.

Play Fyndhorn Elder and Orochi Leafcaller, then cast Freed from the Real on Fyndhorn Elder. Tap the elder for GG, convert one G to U to untap the elder, repeat. You float 5 mana to play Petals of Insight to look at the top 3 cards of your library, then put them on the bottom and float another 5 mana to replay it if you don't draw Banefire. Sift your entire deck to find your single Banefire FTW. This can also be pulled off in multi-player using Fireball to kill the whole table. Fun stuff, but again, rather weak.

Dec 2006
    Spain

The opponent can remove Pestermite when you cast Splinter Twin, in response

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Only while Splinter Twin is on the stack...once it resolves, removal is pointless (which is what I meant...sorry if I was unclear) ;)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Only while Splinter Twin is on the stack...once it resolves, removal is pointless (which is what I meant...sorry if I was unclear) ;)
    blinkblink

...or they just wait until you tap the Pestermite.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Damn, you're right. I guess countermagic just got about 100% more important, lol.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Fyndhorn Elder + Freed from the Real + Orochi Leafcaller 3/6/2

Infinite mana engine, but horribly weak to removal. The traditional support card is Petals of Insight to sift through your entire library for a single Banefire. Any counterspell with x in it like Condescend work well as support, but Force of Will or Pact of Negation are typically better to protect the combo.
    This is ... a bit weak for legacy when it's possible to play stuff like...
    Metalworker+Umbral Mantle
    Krosan Restorer+Maze of Ith (Threshold Required)
    Krosan Restorer/Ley Druid...+Griffin Canyon+Artificial Evolution/Shields of Velis Vel/Trickery Charm

Banned
    Nov 2005
    Sigil, Center of the Planes - Italian district

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Maze of Ith untaps only attacking creatures

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    This is ... a bit weak for legacy when it's possible to play stuff like...
    Metalworker+Umbral Mantle
    Krosan Restorer/Ley Druid...+Griffin Canyon+Artificial Evolution/Shields of Velis Vel/Trickery Charm
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood the point of the thread. I thought it was for combos, not neccessarily competitive combos for legacy.
    Brainstorm Realist

Damn, you're right. I guess countermagic just got about 100% more important, lol.
    Can't you just retain priority and tap it infinite times before they get a chance? Assuming you can get the chance to tap it in the first place, I'm pretty sure that's how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by TFD View Post
    Can't you just retain priority and tap it infinite times before they get a chance? Assuming you can get the chance to tap it in the first place, I'm pretty sure that's how that works.
    Assuming we're still talking about Pestermite / Splinter Twin...

No, that's not how priority works. You must pass priority when you're done casting a spell (or a chain of spells) if you ever want them to resolve. In the case of splinter twin, the copy won't be put into play until the ability resolves, and you must pass priority to your opponent before it resolves.

I'm so meta, even this acronym
    Sep 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Morte View Post
    Maze of Ith untaps only attacking creatures
    The combo works as intended. Untapping a creature with maze doesn't remove it from combat, nor does activating restorer's ability. What it does mean however is that you can only generate infinite mana in the combat step.

Altar of Dentia + Tombstone stairwell 2/4/20 (a creature suit)

Using dredge, buried alive, etc (mill yourself as well), get more creatures in your graveyard then your opponent, then either attack or mill them for a victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Cynic87 View Post
    I've used the LotV-Helm combo in a UBg Intuition-Tezz Stax Hybrid list. I won turn 4 protected on several occasions. That's not something Stax does. Ever. It worked well. Plus, it had MD GY hate, and I could Helm myself to pseudo-tutor for more artifacts via LftL and Academy Ruins, which were both easily attainable via Intuition. So much sick synergy.

Pce,

--DC
    That would be illegal, since Helm can only target an opponent - not a player.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

SPOILER ALERT: INNISTRAD

Laboratory Maniac + Divining Witch (+optional AEther Vial)

Parts = 2 (3)
    Mana = 7 (3)
    Chaff = ???

While more expensive than the the Maniac + Thought Lash combo, Divining Witch can find the other combo piece. You can also just Vial-in the Maniac during your upkeep after you've milled yourself with the Witch, which makes you less vulnerable where as with Thought Lash, having it removed before you get Maniac online could be a liability.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

I just noticed this one:

(Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon) / Dark Depths / sac or damage mechanic

2.5 / 4 / 0

I'm scoring the cost of the sacrifice/damage mechanic at 1, even though there are some ways to make it zero (Pyrokinesis and Fireblast stick out). The Blood cards prevent CiP abilities of non-basics from going off, so DD comes in with no counters. Remove the Blood card, sac DD, 20/20. I understand that this may not make the cut because it is just a single large creature, albeit slightly evasive (Flying).

Another variant would be to run Crop Rotation "instead of" the sacrifice/damage mechanic, essentially baiting people to get rid of your (generally highly disruptive) Blood card. Game 1 only.

I feel like this combo is not just worse than Vampire Hexmage/Depths because of the disruptive nature of the Blood cards to many Legacy manabases. What makes it a tough combo to play with is the fact that if you use them as early disruptors, you need to be able to get to the Depths in red, or you need to run a lot of basics/mana fix. On the other hand, if you DON'T play Blood as early disruption, this version of the combo is just worse than Hexmage/Depths.

My thoughts on the deck for this run either toward Burn or Dragon Stompy. Burn turns it into effectively a 2-card combo, because of the surfeit of ways it has to get rid of Magus of the Moon. Also, Burn with disruption is a reasonable backup plan.

Dragon Stompy already runs up to 8 (but usually 6, I think) Blood effects, making the combo quite compact with respect to its current list. Also, Chalice at one (a Dragon Stompy standby) protects you from Swords, Stifle and CoV, all of which can ruin your day.

I'm not sure what a dedicated list would look like; probably add green for Living Wish, Crop Rotation and enchantment destruction that would let you run Blood Moon more easily.

Just call me Dick.
    Feb 2011
    Your mom's house.

I don't think that works. Depths doesn't say "when ~ ETB, put 10 counters on it", it's "Dark Depths enters the battlefield with ten ice counters on it.". I'm pretty sure Moon effects won't stop lands from ETB tapped, and I think the counters on Depths are the same kind of replacement effect. I could be wrong though.
    I think the biggest thing is the deep seeded emotional understanding that the right play is the right play regardless of outcomes. The ability to make a decision 5 straight times, lose 5 times because of it, and still make it the 6th time if it's the right play. - Jon Finkel

"Notions of chance and fate are the preoccupation of men engaged in rash undertakings."

I think you're right. I was going off of this ruling on Blood Moon that was posted over on eM:
    http://essentialmagic.com/Cards/Ruli...AQ.asp?ID=1784

"It immediately changes a non-basic land entering play into a Mountain, and it does so before abilities that trigger on the original entering play trigger."

However, the first post by Yare the below thread over in mtgsalvation says the following (he's quoting the SCG judge) regarding a similar interaction with Celestial Dawn:

(http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=109951)

"Q: I was thinking about making a deck which is all about Dark Depths and Celestial Dawn. The idea is to have a Celestial Dawn in play, and then play a Dark Depths. My thought is that the Dark Depths would come into play as a Plains, with no ice counters on it (as it is a Plains}. All I have to do is get rid of my Celestial Dawn, and I'll get a Marit Lage token. Does this work?

A: That does not work as you described. Dark Depths has a static ability that creates a replacement effect that is applied to Dark Depths as it comes into play. This replacement effect is applied as Dark Depths enters play before the effect from Celestial Dawn is applied to it. So it will come into play with these ice counters, even though it comes into play as a Plains."

So, my bad here. I didn't check rulings on Dark Depths originally, just Blood Moon.

Sep 2010
    manila

Inkmoth Nexus + Hatred. Works in legacy (perhaps monoblack) and EDH.
    --

Thread Information