Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: List of Compact Combos

Re: List of Compact Combos

Another synergy/combo with Eeire Interlude in particular: it's a new, very powerful toy for a Machinegun-style deck. You know, one featuring Gelectrode, Cinder Pyromancer, Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh. In that kind of deck, Eerie Interlude functions as both an untap effect (due to bounce), a double untap effect for some creatures (due to being a spell) and a counterspell (due to breaking targeting.) Seems better than crap like Cerulean Wisps, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Another synergy/combo with Eeire Interlude in particular: it's a new, very powerful toy for a Machinegun-style deck. ...
    It's way better for a rifter-style deck that uses enter the battlefield triggers. If it weren't intrinsically once per turn it would be fun with Cloud of Faeries and Snapcaster Mage.

There is some fun interaction with Cryptolith Rite and self-untappers like nettle sentinel though. You could build a bad elf deck that way.

Upon further reflection, Gitrog Horror doesn't work. Because reasons.

The Gitrog Combo

So if you have a Dakmor Salvage, Toadman, and a free discard outlet, you now can go infinite. Pitch Salvage, put Toad trigger on stack. Resolve trigger dredging salvage, and maybe get more triggers from lands that get milled. Rinse and repeat. Each time you mill a land, you can just leave the Toad trigger on the stack while you keep doing your discard thing, until you have an number of Toad triggers on the stack greater than any arbitrary number.

I say "arbitrary" because you can easily go infinite without milling your whole deck. Just run Emrakul or Gaea's Blessing. Then, when you hit those, you will reshuffle and you can keep going.

In this way you can put your whole deck in the yard or in your hand as you see fit. Need a particular card? Well, start resolving Toad triggers to just draw cards at some point. Once you have what you need, burn the rest of the triggers on cycling through the deck with Dakmor and reshuffling with Emrakul, holding lands in your hand (remember, you drew your deck) and pitch the non-lands, ensuring that eventually the triggers will burn themselves out without creating more.

So, you can end up with all of your lands and any other cards you want in your hand, any cards you want in your graveyard, and a Wild Mongrel whose power and toughness are larger than any arbitrary number. Lots of ways to win from there.

The Rules Problem

There's a bit of a hiccup here that has to do with tournament rules. Notice how I said "larger than any arbitrary number" repeatedly above instead of "any arbitrary number?" That's because, each time you dredge, you will add either 0, 1, or 2 Toad triggers to the stack. And you can't know how many, because it's random. So, while you can exceed any stated number by simply dredging more, you cannot guarantee that you can end up with, say, exactly 50 Toad triggers on the stack. You might be at 49, then blow past it to 51 by hitting 2 triggers.

To make matters worse, you can't tell your opponent what is going to pass through your hand and graveyard on the way to finishing the combo in advance; you can't know where your reshuffle effect will be. You can't even guarantee a given card will hit your yard before the shuffle effect on any iteration through your library!

TECHNICALLY this is a big problem because of how the shortcut and slow play rules work. In Magic, if you end up being able to perform a loop, typically you will want to shortcut that loop to some conclusion. Many loops cannot be actually performed over and over within the time allowed for a tournament. For example, you want to keep using Petermite/Kikki Jikki until you have a Google number of copies. You can propose that shortcut, and then your opponent is free to say they want to stop the shortcut at the point when you reach 20 creatures so they can do something. With a determinate loop, that's fine, you all know exactly what the board will be.

So, the shorcut section of the comprehensive rules allows this.

But indeterminate loops thwart this strategy. As a specific example, consider the Four Horseman deck (what it does isn't important; you just need to know it can mill itself infinitely but plays Emrakul and it wants to keep going until it mills very specific cards BEFORE hitting Emrakul). Perhaps your opponent can see the top card of their library at all times and wants to stop the loop once the Eldrazi is on top so they can cast Quicken and Kaboom! for the win. Well, when you propose a shortcut of shuffling them until the Eldrazi is on the bottom... and they want to stop the shortcut when the Eldrazi is on the top... how do you know which one of these outcomes will actually occur first? Answer: You do not.

Or, in the Gitrog example, perhaps they want to stop your loop when you mill a particular sorcery because they want to cast Expirate on it. You can't even guarantee that particular card will ever be in your yard ahead of a reshuffle effect, or if so, what the rest of the stack or yard will look like at the time!

So, an indeterminate loop renders shortcuts impossible as a general matter. If you can't say exactly where you want to go and exactly how you'll get there, the comprehensive rules TECHNICALLY do not have a shortcut that applies.

Okay, so can you just "do it" then?

Not if the IPG applies. You cannot then just try to "do it" repeatedly until you randomly hit your win condition, because allowing people to do this for some indeterminate loops might mean that the floor judges could never go home and would starve to death on bad hotel lobby food before the game ended. So, the IPG lets them warn you for "slow play" if you are not advancing the "game state," which is an ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE analysis by design.

Now, I've actually been told by at least one judge, who shall remain nameless but appears on Podcasts On The Internet, that (1) judge forums agree that Gitrog is not playable for these reasons; (2) there is no ambiguity in what is "advancing the game state," and that (3) any questions about this or any other indeterminate loop are verboten because it would degrade into whining amongst the masses. Take that for waht you will.

Who Cares?

All of this means that, absent a gentleman's agreement to scoop if the combo is assembled, a given tournament judge might or might not let a Gitrog combo player actually start executing the combo at all, at least past the first time that the graveyard gets reshuffled. You'd have to play around with a given judge on what you need to do to keep changing the game state sufficiently to keep going.

That means Gitrog, for all of its value, probably is an unreliable instant-combo-win. Which sucks, because that's one of the reasons I really llke him.

Its a bit different then the 4 horseman.
    You probably play some wincon, lets say Emrakrul (and a lotus petal).

First you "just do it" you draw a bunch of cards and mill even more till your library is empty. You dont care for decking yourself since your discard outlet lets you reshuffle with emrakrul! So you can/should do it really fast lets say 30 secs. And you actually advancing the game state (drawing cards!).

Well at some point you gonna reshuffle but your library will get smaller and smaller while your hand gets bigger and bigger! Next loop will be about 15 seconds and you still draw cards -> advancing the game state!
    Eventually you end up with only lotus petal lands and emrakrul -> do that 15 times hard cast spah gethy GG.

Imo the difference to 4 horseman that its A) way faster and B) hey im drawing cards im doing something! You create value instead of waiting for some specific cards.
    If loam shenanigans are legal this should be ok too!

So I did not put much thought in this post but maybe you can mill/draw even faster if you continue with the combo in response to the emrakrul shuffle trigger...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I thought the problem with 4H was that it relied on the player guaranteeing a highly specific game state that may never occur.

Frog + Dakmor Salvage + Wild Mongrel seems like a legit action to take in the same vein as, like, trying to go off with High Tide without guaranteeing that you're going to draw all the pieces. I mean you can't shortcut High Tide combo, at all; even if you play garbage like Palinchron you only guarantee "infinite" mana, not a game win -- you have to try to draw your Wish into Brain Freeze (or whatever wincon you select).

I totally get why 4H is bullshitty (it relies on a very specific thing to happen), but Dredge + Frog + Mongrel seems like it's totally in bounds of decks that may try to go off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

There's a bit of a hiccup here that has to do with tournament rules. Notice how I said "larger than any arbitrary number" repeatedly above instead of "any arbitrary number?" That's because, each time you dredge, you will add either 0, 1, or 2 Toad triggers to the stack. And you can't know how many, because it's random. So, while you can exceed any stated number by simply dredging more, you cannot guarantee that you can end up with, say, exactly 50 Toad triggers on the stack. You might be at 49, then blow past it to 51 by hitting 2 triggers.
    Gitrog reads "Whenever one or more land cards are put into your graveyard from anywhere, draw a card." So even if you dredge 2 lands, you only get one trigger. So each dredge has a binary value. Combined with the discard you are either drawing one or two cards per iteration.

Don't "go infinite"! No one is forcing you to stack triggers and do accounting. Just draw the damn cards, and when your library gets low, pitch Emrakul to reshuffle. You can cycle lands any lands you draw with Frog + enabler.

The High Tide comparsion is more apt for sure.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

That combo looks janky and fun. I think this is my Christmas deck this year. Anyone else interested is making it a thing? I will start a thread if so.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I thought the problem with 4H was that it relied on the player guaranteeing a highly specific game state that may never occur. ...

... I totally get why 4H is bullshitty (it relies on a very specific thing to happen) ...
    AFAICT The issue is more that judges can't easily tell the difference between "line of play that's spinning it's wheels and unlikely to stop in a reasonable amount of time" and "line of play that's spinning its wheels and likely to stop in a reasonable amount of time." (Under normal conditions, 4H shouldn't actually take that long to play out.)

So a combo line that doesn't reshuffle like Gitrog Monster -> Dread Return (Laboratory Maniac) is going to be less resilient, but shouldn't cause any issues with the judges. Gitrog Monster is already a jank/fun play, so, you can just sacrifice a little more win percentage to play it.

Those who are quibbling with the slow play problem on Gitrog: Yes, I agree it's not as slow as Four Horsemen, but the rules don't say anything about the range of uncertainty (and hence the speed) of the combo. There is simply no rule allowing you to shortcut indeterminate loops, and the slow play rules apply (if the judge wants them to) if you end up in something like the same board state while "doing it."

To make the point clear again: You will be rules lawyered if you try to go infinite with Gitrog. And the point at which you will lose the rules-lawyering is when you reshuffle your graveyard. This may not be a good thing, but it is what is going to happen. Direct your comments about why it's not fair to the rules committee, or better yet, get on the judges forum and push them on coming up with some more specific standards about what is and is not "advancing the board state." They hate that, but it's long overdue.

In the meantime, rufus has it right - to avoid the problem, you can use Gitrog to do things that do not involve churning your library and graveyard multiple times. Play a win-from-the-graveyard combo, for example, so you only have to mill yourself out once.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Those who are quibbling with the slow play problem on Gitrog: Yes, I agree it's not as slow as Four Horsemen, but the rules don't say anything about the range of uncertainty (and hence the speed) of the combo. There is simply no rule allowing you to shortcut indeterminate loops, and the slow play rules apply (if the judge wants them to) if you end up in something like the same board state while "doing it."

To make the point clear again: You will be rules lawyered if you try to go infinite with Gitrog. And the point at which you will lose the rules-lawyering is when you reshuffle your graveyard. This may not be a good thing, but it is what is going to happen. Direct your comments about why it's not fair to the rules committee, or better yet, get on the judges forum and push them on coming up with some more specific standards about what is and is not "advancing the board state." They hate that, but it's long overdue.

In the meantime, rufus has it right - to avoid the problem, you can use Gitrog to do things that do not involve churning your library and graveyard multiple times. Play a win-from-the-graveyard combo, for example, so you only have to mill yourself out once.
    So IIUC, you're talking about a really specific kind of "going-off" with Gitrog, anything that would just involve the Gaea's Blessing effect. (this gives me pause since I recall old decks that took infinite turns using Gaea's Blessing and Time Stretch but that's probably totally different as it isn't really a matter of shortcuts when you're taking infinite turns)

So if I want to just try to create a situation where my discard outlet, Gitrog Monster, and Dakmor Salvage are in-hand and I wish to "try to go off" I may do so as long as I don't threaten to reshuffle the graveyard into my library, correct? So as long as there's no Emrakul in my deck (or any of its spiritual cousins, from Gaea's Blessing to whatever else terribad card has the same effect) I may attempt to grow an arbitrarily large Wild Mongrel, and if I fizzle I just fizzle like a man and pee the carpet?

So if I want to just try to create a situation where my discard outlet, Gitrog Monster, and Dakmor Salvage are in-hand and I wish to "try to go off" I may do so as long as I don't threaten to reshuffle the graveyard into my library, correct? So as long as there's no Emrakul in my deck (or any of its spiritual cousins, from Gaea's Blessing to whatever else terribad card has the same effect) I may attempt to grow an arbitrarily large Wild Mongrel, and if I fizzle I just fizzle like a man and pee the carpet?
    I THINK that's right, yes, because as long as you're just filling your yard and not shuffling it away, you are not returning back to the same "game state" again and so you are probably fine. It's not a "loop" yet.

The problem is, if you don't allow for reshuffling, Gitrog can easily kill you. If you mill your deck, you will end up with a billion (well, 15 or so) Gitrog triggers on the stack when you're done. Each time you self-mill and hit a land, you get more triggers. This is very bad. Eventually, you have to stop churning and resolve those triggers, unless your kill is all at instant-speed.

If you have more Gitrog Triggers than cards in your library... well, you can't dredge if you don't have cards to dredge with, so you figure out what is going to happen with the extra draw effects.

This means Gitrog is a fine way to draw lots of cards, but the combo has serious problems turning into a reliable instant-win.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I THINK that's right, yes, because as long as you're just filling your yard and not shuffling it away, you are not returning back to the same "game state" again and so you are probably fine. It's not a "loop" yet.

The problem is, if you don't allow for reshuffling, Gitrog can easily kill you. If you mill your deck, you will end up with a billion (well, 15 or so) Gitrog triggers on the stack when you're done. Each time you self-mill and hit a land, you get more triggers. This is very bad. Eventually, you have to stop churning and resolve those triggers, unless your kill is all at instant-speed. \
    Seems like this is the High Tide situation again, where you just play it out and don't mill yourself, right? It should be something like:

- Discard to Mongrel
    - Gitrog triggers, you draw
    - Replace that draw with Dredge 2, return Dakmor to your hand
    - If 1 or 2 land cards hit your library, you get ONE additional trigger (Gitrog says "Whenever one or more land cards are put into your graveyard..." and I'm pretty sure Dredge 2 is seen as a simultaneous event, if that's wrong then I'm wrong) and if you have nothing to Dredge, you draw a card.
    - If 0 land cards hit the bin, you have Dakmor Salvage back in your hand.

Assuming I am not missing something, you now have a +1/+1'ed Mongrel, a Dakmor Salvage in hand, and POTENTIALLY one additional card. You shouldn't have to actually stack anything intelligently. You should have a fair amount of control over when you Dredge and which card draw gets Dredged.

It's true that you would probably Dredge the shit out of your deck and so you'd probably want a win besides Mongrel. I have half a mind to look at Psychatog XD it would make assembling a big creature far easier since you get extra value from the cards in the bin, plus it'd put Blue in the deck, which means counters and card draw, joy of joys!

You can totally use Gitrog for value that way, but arbitrarily large creatures with no protection and no evasion seem like a bad way to win a game. Ditto the idea of your three-card combo just drawing lots of cards instead of winning the game on the spot.

- If 1 or 2 land cards hit your library, you get ONE additional trigger (Gitrog says "Whenever one or more land cards are put into your graveyard..." and I'm pretty sure Dredge 2 is seen as a simultaneous event, if that's wrong then I'm wrong) and if you have nothing to Dredge, you draw a card.
    I was excited for a minute, because with that one tweak we CAN tell our opponent we want to repeat the loop to reach any arbitrary number - it will only add 1 Gitrog trigger to the stack at a time - but then I realized that it's still a problem because you can't explain the intervening board states until you get there, since the yard fills up randomly.

Oh well.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Oh well I mean, yeah, of course it's bad, just :)

Mostly just trying to get a sense of what's actually considered a non-changing game state, since it didn't really seem like a 1-to-1 with 4H

Mostly just trying to get a sense of what's actually considered a non-changing game state, since it didn't really seem like a 1-to-1 with 4H
    It's not about "changing" but "advancing the game state". I don't think you'll get a clear answer.

Quote Originally Posted by cdr
    Exact game states don't matter, it's whether the game is being meaningfully advanced. It's not something you can exactly define, it's a "I know it when I see it" sort of thing.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post673348

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It's not about "changing" but "advancing the game state". I don't think you'll get a clear answer.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...l=1#post673348
    To make matters worse, judges are conditioned to get really snarky when you start to ask them about this issue by so many people who DO NOT understand the loop rules whining about why their pet combo shouldn't work. It's hard to get a conversation started.

For example, I e-mailed a particularly well-known judge about the Gitrog issue and asked for more guidance on what was advancing the game state versus not, and got told: "We already decided on the judge forums that the Gitrog combo has the problems you indicate and we're not going to talk about it because everyone just whines," or similar words to the same effect.

I imagine judges are afraid of agreeing on a clear definition because then people will try to "game" it like the guy in the link was doing. Similarly, they appear terrified of admitting it's a discretionary standard because, for many of the Complaining Public, "discretion" gets conflated with "arbitrary."

EDIT: I mean, they're not totally wrong. Instead of intelligent conversation, you get inflammatory things like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Tammit67 View Post
    Someone found a cool interaction with a bunch of otherwise unplayable cards that results in a win. Everyone knows the intent and the outcome, but the governing body sees fit to not let it happen. That's all.

The refund or not part was from a business perspective
    EDIT2: And, to add on top of that, people tend to confuse a violation of the "Slow Play / Stalling" rule with someone who is actually trying to waste time. You can violate the rule despite having no ill intention to slow the game down AT ALL. It's just a rule, it means exactly what it says it means. If someone was delaying the game intentionally, I believe that's actually cheating and treated accordingly.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It sounds like it's just a quagmire, tbh. There's a big grey area intentionally left so, with the intent of making sure that combos which might not be deterministically interrupted just can't exist -- but it's ultimately a smell test. I can't quantify what the difference is between these decks -- except that one seems to rely on an actual, achievable game-state (4H needs to have three specific cards in the graveyard, which means it played its combo out AND didn't hit an Emrakul before it could actually construct the Magic Yard) whereas a potential Gitrog combo just relies on an event (Emrakul hitting the trash). There's no magic game-state to achieve in order to just continually dump your cards into the graveyard (or hand, as it happens) and again it just seems like it's akin to digging through your deck until you bring everything together, just like High Tide.

It feels to me that the delimiter should be that "magic" state occurring, where you have to actually name cards being in a unique zone at the end of this kind of potentially infinite sequence. If you have to say, "My (zone) has (cards) in it, AND (event) never occurred before that actually happened", or something similar to that, then you are just dicking around and asking to get Slow Played. If, instead, you can demonstrate the loop without saying "I do this until cards are in unique zones so that I can actually win", then you should just be able to pump your Mongrel to 3!!!3/3!!!3 because Mongrel doesn't care what it eats and it isn't waiting for you to get cards X, Y, and Z in the garbage before going off.

It's about as easy to define what I think doesn't constitute "non game advancing actions" as it seems to be to actually describe them; it's all "know it when I see it" type stuff. I just look at the potential with Gitrog and I don't see it as an absolute. Like, just including Gaea's Blessing in a Gitrog Monster combo deck shouldn't be grounds for flagging the play, I think the actual issue of a win based directly on determinism is the problem, right? O_o

Like, just including Gaea's Blessing in a Gitrog Monster combo deck shouldn't be grounds for flagging the play, I think the actual issue of a win based directly on determinism is the problem, right? O_o
    No, the problem is exactly what I said earlier: no more, no less.

1. The shortcut rules only work if you can describe the exact board state during the combo. Anything less than 100% correct description will not do.
    and
    2. The slow play rules allow a judge to stop you from doing something if you are found not to be advancing the game state.

And that's it. There is no underlying policy rationale in the rules, no discrimination against indeterminate combos, and no statistical tests. Maybe there should be, but there is not. Address your complaints to the the DCI (for the IPG) or WOTC (for the comp rules).

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Gitrog reads "Whenever one or more land cards are put into your graveyard from anywhere, draw a card." So even if you dredge 2 lands, you only get one trigger. So each dredge has a binary value. Combined with the discard you are either drawing one or two cards per iteration.
    Yup just tested the combo, it takes about 4 reshuffles and 2 minutes to get your library into your hand. Just dredge the whole time and IF you dredge a land draw a card (dont even look at it^^) and continue to dredge.

Also I read about the gamestate "definition", well yup its for judges to stop stupid loops. BUT if a judge comes to your table and he wants you to advance something, just tell him to STFU im nearly done you $§%%!!

Well dont do that! But usually a player calls a judge for slowplay, then a judge comes to your table and watches both players play their game... Your library should be in your hand before the judge knows whats going on!

If the judge doesn't explicitly hate you or Gitrog you should be fine....
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Well, each loop causes you to have more and more cards in your hand. The state changes as you go on as your Library decreases in size.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Thread Information