Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Thread: List of Compact Combos

Re: List of Compact Combos

I missed it earlier, but Baloth Null facilitates rooftop storm combo significantly...

Rooftop Storm + Sidisi, Undead Vizier self exploit fetch Sidisi, Undead Vizier self exploit fetch Baloth Null (Return 2x Sidisi to hand) fetch a zombie sac outlet (e.g. Nantuko Husk) and a second recursion zombie (like Baloth Null #2) and you have a tutor loop. Gray Merchant of Asphodel is an easy way to close out the combo.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I missed it earlier, but Baloth Null facilitates rooftop storm combo significantly...

Rooftop Storm + Sidisi, Undead Vizier self exploit fetch Sidisi, Undead Vizier self exploit fetch Baloth Null (Return 2x Sidisi to hand) fetch a zombie sac outlet (e.g. Nantuko Husk) and a second recursion zombie (like Baloth Null #2) and you have a tutor loop. Gray Merchant of Asphodel is an easy way to close out the combo.
    Okay, how about this.

Play Rooftop Storm.
    Cast Sidi for free, get Sidi.
    Cast Sidi for free, get Baloth Null.
    Cast Null for free, get Sidi x2 back.
    Cast Sidi for free, get Baloth Null.
    Cast Sidi for free, get Carrion Feeder.
    Cast Null for free, get Sidis back.
    Cast Sidi for free, get Geralf's Messanger.

Then you loop:
    Case Messanger for free, ping 2.
    Sac Messenger and 1x Null to Feeder.
    Cast Null for free, get Messenger and Null back in hand.

And other than the pair of Nulls, this does not require you to play with garbage cards.

ZOMBO COMBO

Creatures (19)
    4x Deathrite Shaman
    4x Gravecrawler
    4x Carrion Feeder
    4x Sidisi, Undead Vizer
    2x Baloth Null
    1x Geralf's Messenger

Combo (6)
    2x Rooftop Storm
    3x Academy Rector
    1x Omniscience

Other Crap (12)
    3x Abrupt Decay
    2x Innocent Blood
    3x Thoughtseize
    2x Cabal Therapy
    2x Malestrom Pulse

Lands (23)

So this list lets you combo off by either:
    (1) Rooftop Storm in play + Sidi in hand
    (2) Rector in play + Sidi in hand (you sac Rector to get Omni/Rooftop and another Sidi)

And it still presents a half-way credible aggro threat.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumC View Post
    Then you loop:
    Case Messanger for free, ping 2.
    Sac Messenger and 1x Null to Feeder.
    Cast Null for free, get Messenger and Null back in hand.

And other than the pair of Nulls, this does not require you to play with garbage cards.
    Yeah, I was thinking in terms of modern. There are lots of possible win cons -- Diregraf Captain works too, and it probably makes sense to include a Sedraxis Alchemist so you can remove any pesky permanents.

Really my entire point was that Baloth makes the combo package much leaner.

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of modern. There are lots of possible win cons -- Diregraf Captain works too, and it probably makes sense to include a Sedraxis Alchemist so you can remove any pesky permanents.

Really my entire point was that Baloth makes the combo package much leaner.
    It totally does. Anything that reduces the useless parts of the combo package is a great improvement.

Now, about that pesky 6-drop enchantment that has to get resolved....

Commander 2016 is fully spoiled...

Divergent Transformation can work in combos as a replacement for Mass Polymorph.

It's not legacy, but Frenzied Fugue + Time Vault. Maybe there's some pay off with Stasis or something similar.

Another set, another update. But, holy cow, what an update it is! Aether Revolt brings combo back into Standard in a big way. It's a Johnny set to end all Johnny sets. It's like Urza's block reborn under modern sensibilities. Tickles me to tears, and I hope that the Johnny-in-Standard experiment goes over well and we get more blocks like this. This set contains tons of cards that let you cast things for free (traditionally broken) tutor things from your library onto the battlefield (usually busted) and triggered abilities without mana costs (often abusable).

Anyway, off the races!

Saheeli Rai + Felidar Guardian

We'll get the big obvious one out of the way first. With both of these in play, you can use Saheeli's -2 ability to clone the Felidar. The clone then blinks Saheeli, refreshing her loyalty and allowing her to use the ability again. Rinse and repeat for an arbitrarily large number of 1/4 cats that have haste.

Note that this also works substituting Kiki-Jiki for Saheeli, if you're into that.

Kari Zev's Expertise + Breaking and Entering

This actually works with all of the Expertise cards and all of the Fuse cards. Exactly like with Brain in a Jar, you get to cast both halves of a Fuse card for free. When an effect wants the casting cost of a Fuse card, it gets two answers, one for each side. If either side satisfies a condition allowing you to cast it for free, you get to cast the entire card for free, including the Fuse cost.

Crackdown Construct + Wandering Fumerole

These combos give you an arbitrarily large Construct. Crackdown Construct has a triggered ability with no cost, which is always a good sign. It combos with any creature or artifact that you can activate an arbitrary number of times. In Standard, you can go infinite by making Wandering Fumerole into a creature. That's cute, but in eternal formats there is a MASSIVE list of cards that go infinite:

Shuko
    Nomads en-Kor
    Shaman en-Kor
    Demonspine Whip
    Lavaclaw Reaches
    Chimeric Staff
    Chimeric Idol
    Sentinel
    Mirror Entity
    Frenetic Efreet
    Frenetic Sliver
    Illusionary Mask
    Basalt Monolith
    Crypt Rats
    Mist Dragon

And some cards that work sometimes...

Kazul's Toll Collector
    Lightning Greeves

And there's probably more where that comes from! The really cute thing here is that Crackdown Construct forms a double combo with eight cards in several ways. So, for example, Crackdown combos with Lavaclaw Reaches and Wandering Fumerole, which in turn also combo with Ceaseless Searblades. Crackdown combos with Basalt Monolith or Puresight Merrow holding a Paradise Mantle, which in turn also combo with Wakethrasher.

Metallic Mimic + Animation Module

Oh look, another standard-legal combo! With Mimic naming Servo, you get to pay 1 mana to make a 2/2 Servo as much as you like... with one caveat. You have to actually have a way to start the process by putting a +1/+1 counter on something. Once you accomplish that, you can pay a {3} startup cost to use the Module's own ability each turn.

Saffi, Eriskdotter + Renegade Rallier

This is an infinite sac engine. With both in play, sac Saffi targeting Rallier. Sac Rallier to whatever other effect you have, and then it will return, returning Saffi along with it. Rinse and repeat.

You can also sub in [card]Angelic Renewal[/cards] for Saffi.

Hope of Ghirapur + Auriok Salvagers

With both of these online, for the low, low cost of 2W per turn, your opponent will only have a window between your untap step and your combat damage step to cast non-creature spells. Punish those fools who replaced Disenchant with Fragmentize!

[cards]Greenbelt Ravager[cards] + Servant of the Conduit + Paradox Engine

This gives you infinite storm, as long as you start from less than 2 Energy. Cast Ravager, bounce and get the Energy. Spend the Energy on Servant to make {G}. Re-cast Ravager, which untaps Servant using Paradox Engine to get us back where we started.

Finish with your Storm kill of choice, or draw your deck with Glimpse or Beck//Call.

Paraharmonicon + Crumbling Vestige + 2 Felidar Sovereign

This gives you infinite enters the battlefield triggers for lands and creatures, and infinite mana of any color. With Vestige, Feildar, and Harmonica in play, cast another Felidar. Or another creature that blinks creatures like, I dunno, that deer from Scars of Mirrodin. The important thing is that you blink the Felidar, who then comes in with double ETB blink triggers for the Vestige and the deer/second Felidar. You net {1} plus one mana of any color and can keep this up as long as you like.

Walking Ballista + Infinite Mana

Ballista is (I think) the best win condition for infinite colorless mana combos that I have ever seen. It's practically a colorless fireball, like Rocket Launcher, but it also does not suck by itself. It translates infinite mana into damage whether it's in your hand OR on the board at the time you go off. The only thing it does not do particularly well is win from the graveyard, since reanimation techniques bring it back as a 0/0. Well, you can't have everything.

I'm sure that I am only scratching the surface here, and I will return once I have more time to add to the list!
    Last edited by MaximumC; 01-13-2017 at 01:51 PM.

Not sure if the above work because the first two are enchantments and the Lamp requires tapping and X can't be zero. Great list otherwise though! I got my Crackdown Construct playset preordered and the rest of the cards ready to go!

I'm sure that I am only scratching the surface here, and I will return once I have more time to add to the list!
    Felidar Guardian also works with Kiki-Jiki and Dual Nature.

The expertise cycle also works with older split cards like Research // Development.

Mechanized Production + Myr Battlesphere (8 myr tokens works for the victory condition.)

Quote Originally Posted by filln View Post
    Not sure if the above work because the first two are enchantments and the Lamp requires tapping and X can't be zero. Great list otherwise though! I got my Crackdown Construct playset preordered and the rest of the cards ready to go!
    Ah, right you are. I thought Leeches gave the ability to the creature, but it does not, and I just plain missed the {T} in the other cards. Will edit.

Someone else noticed a combo I missed on the first go-around.

Quote Originally Posted by Octopusman View Post
    Metallic Mimic can act like Melira 5-8 naming ouphe/assasin to do infinite life/damage with sac outlet.
    Which is to say that, if you have a Persist creature and a sacrifice outlet, you now have THREE ways to go infinite:

1. Melira, Sylvok Outcast
    2. Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
    3. Metallic Mimic

Each have benefits and drawbacks. Melira is pretty reliable to cast, and stops infect. Anafenza is hard to cast, but bolsters all of your creatures in addition to enabling the combo. Mimic is the easiest to cast, but also the most fragile and, since the creature types of your typical Persist enablers are: Assassin, Ouphe, and Goblin, it will probably give you no additional benefit at all except for enabling the combo.

This all suggests that Anafenza is the right choice for a Modern Collected Company deck that reliably makes WW, Melira is a good sideboard option against infect, and Mimic is... not so great.

I don't know if it's worth anything, but Eldrazi Displacer + Renegade Rallier + Grim Monolith + Grinding Station is infinite mill.

The Hour of Devastation is upon us.

Solemnity + Glacial Chasm

Solemnity has interactions with a lot of stuff like persist, undying, and cumulative upkeep.

Steward of Solidarity + Intruder Alarm

Infinite tokens and summoning sickness mean this isn't great.

Hour of Promise + Dark Depths/Thespian Stage

Another bad combo. Hour of Promise probably does more in rampy decks.

Samut, the Tested + Doubling Season

Another planeswalker that wins the game if Doubling Season is in play.

God-Pharaoh's Gift + Combat Celebrant/Godo, Bandit Warlord/Aurelia, the Warleader

Additional combat phases mean additional triggers of the ability.

Mirage Mirror + Dark Depths

Just like the Thespian Stage combo.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Mirage Mirror + Phyrexian Dreadnought works similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    Torpor Orb and Illusionary Mask are cheaper than mirror. And interact with a few other cards for fun and profit.

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Godo and Aurelia state "for the first time each turn"
    miLLe!!!!!

Guilds of Ravnica features:

Doom Whisperer which has good synergy with Necrotic Ooze.

Experimental Frenzy which can work as an engine with Thought Lash.

Thousand Year Storm costs a bunch to cast, but does stupid things.

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    Godo and Aurelia state "for the first time each turn"
    But isn't each copy attacking for the first time whenever it attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by chezJacques View Post
    But isn't each copy attacking for the first time whenever it attacks?
    This is correct.

Jan 2006
    Boulder, CO

Thassa's Oracle has many combo applications in Legacy.

Thassa's Oracle + Thought Lash is a true two-card combo that's immune to creature removal, doesn't rely on the graveyard, and is all in the same color.

Thassa's Oracle + Paradigm Shift requires a way to empty the graveyard before casting Paradigm Shift.

Thassa's Oracle also streamlines kill packages for Cephalid Breakfast, Oops All Spells, Basalt Monolith/Mesmeric Orb, and possibly Doomsday.

Thassa's Oracle also finally gives you a good win condition for my favorite combo that never had a good one:

[[Puresight Merrow]] + [[Karametra's Favor]]

t2, Cast Merrow.
    t3, Favor targeting Merrow. Favor resolves, leave draw trigger on the stack. Mill to Oracle. Let draw trigger resolve. Cast Oracle. With Oracle trigger on stack, mill yourself out. Win.

You naturally have one blue mana floating for Flusterstorm or whatever countermagic you may need.

Thread Information