Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Compact Combos

Re: List of Compact Combos

Phyrexian Dreadnought + Berserk + Fling (or Fling + Fork)

Jonny Combo Player
    Mar 2006
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by raharu View Post
    For the targeting spell, you could use Lightning Greaves to make the combo un-Swords-able (after the Greaves equip).
    Not really! You cannot target the creature equipped with Lightning Greaves to equip it again. So you need a second creature to equip and than the first creature can sworded in response to the equip!

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Some old, janky ones.

Iridescent Drake + Abduction + a sac outlet
    (2.5/6/6+)

The Drake into play, getting Abduction from GY. now you got a crature that does not die. The combo is disruptable to any creature removal, as well as any GY hate, and things like Meddling Mage.
    The most common sac outlet is Altar of Dementia or Goblin Bombardment.

Also, I'd like to note that 2 Karmic Guide(1 in GY and 1 in play) also have simiar interaction.

Goblin Charbelcher/Mana severance
    (2/9/8?)

Belcher away with no land in library. Any Needle/mage effect kills the combo, but the deck will prebably be in control shell, so there.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Gosh, I really never EVER seriously thought I would be directing people to this, but somehow here we are discussing it.

http://mtgsalvation.com/676-what-nex...ing-elves.html

Sensei, Sensei is very strong in CounterTop as the win condition despite it's 4-card dependency.

The key is that both Enlightened Tutor and Mystical Tutor function to find the pieces and so only 1 or 2 Helms and 1 or 2 Brainfreeze are required to run the combo. That leaves your 4 CB and 4 Tops and a hell of a lot of WU denial/removal. Both tutors function independently with Counterbalance, making them more than just search pieces for the combo, they're answers also.

With the amount of reshuffle effects in play it's not hard to find the combo, and with the theme of the deck it's not hard to live for the 6 or 7 turns it takes to assemble it under worst case conditions.

The last piece in the strength of the combo is that it totally invalidates the opponent's creature removal in game 1.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

http://magicdeckvortex.com/DDB/locke...7_extended.htm

It's in extended, so with the Legacy cardpool, it could have some potential.

Grave dependency: Yes
    Needleability: Yes
    Stiflabitiliy: Yes
    Forceability: Yes
    Wastelandability: No
    Swordsability: No
    Disenchantability: Yes
    Chaliceability: Yes

I'd use Chromatic Stars and Spheres for some deck thinning as well as more hits at cc1 with a "blind" counterbalance.

Can this have some potential?

4 Locket of Yesterdays
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Sensei's Divining Top

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    4 Artificer's Intuition
    4 Counterbalance
    2 Humility
    1 Moat
    1 Wrath of God

4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Faerie Conclave
    2 Mutavault
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Polluted Delta
    4 Tundra
    2 Island

is it just too janky to leave behind? Remember, this is just a VERY fast decklist I just came up with. If it has a little bit of potential, I'll test and post within a couple of days.
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Feb 2006
    Boston

You might want a win condition in there. Something that can benefit from the infinite storm you generate from the combo.

Poisonous Foogoofiish
    Feb 2006
    Germany

First off Standstil is horrible here, you want to dig for combo/ -whatever pieces in the first turns and keep control as good as possible, Thirst is definitly more powerful here.

Beside this, i also worked on the same concept, but there is one little thing that ruins your day in this kind of shell: Unlike SOTS you have no Squee like Artifact to create cardadvantage and dig for pieces at the same time.

If there would be a 0-1 CMC artifact that returns itself in your upkeep this type of deck would be in a pretty good position.
    I would enable far more broken things though

So till then, you have to make sure that you can refill your hand, Thoughtcast and Thirst are a starting point.
    Good luck with the concept, its pretty cool and i ll keep watching.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Lich+Nourishing Shoal has always been one of my favorites.

Good old Peebles!!

So here we go for one of my favorite and as old as it gets:

Enduring Renewal + Goblin Bombardment (2/6/1)

I would put that one at 2/6/1

Where the 1 is obviously a 0 artifact-creature (ornithopter, shield sphere etc...)
    So effective for so many years, it has to be in the list.

Another one less well-known:

Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity (2/7/0)

Although arguably, I play it with a reanimator shell to offset Niv-Mizzet casting cost.

Very effective and stylish! And can win turn 3, that's a real cracker!

Grave dependency: No
    Needleability: No
    Stiflabitiliy: No
    Swordsability: Yes

They are 2 combos I play over and over, and once it hits the table, that's game over in 95% of the cases.
    Last edited by Lothian; 01-27-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Re: Good old Peebles!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
    Enduring Renewal + Goblin Bombardment (2/6/1)

Stiflabitiliy: No
    Forceability: No

I disagree. If you Force the the Thopter, or Stifle the trigger, the combo ends.

To the mods, if this post disrupts the flow of the thread, by all means delete it. I don't want to throw it off, but I feel as though it should be pointed out.

Feb 2006
    Boston

Re: Good old Peebles!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    I disagree. If you Force the the Thopter, or Stifle the trigger, the combo ends.
    The trigger of Enduring Renewal can be responded to with Crypt, I believe, and Leyline also shuts it off.

List of Compact Combos

Ok Ok...

Mea culpa

I actually didn't know about the changing in the rules from 2006 for Enduring renewal, where it is not a replacement anymore (weird...), so yeah you can stifle and tormod crypt it...

well, anything is forceable, I mean show me a combo where all cards are not forceable.

But well, is it all that important..

The Best of Both Worlds
    Aug 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    Actually, no. With Retainers you have to hardcast all the pieces; with Champion you get to Survival away the rest and cast only the Champion, returning the Saffi and starting the loop, and then returning the Caller once you've looped to your satisfaction. Loyal Retainers can't do that.
    If you compare it to Finn's sock theory... or logic for that matter, it makes a lot more sense to play Loyal Retainers because you don't have to stretch the deck.

Something that should be taken into account (though I don't think it can be mathematically X/X/X/Y-wise) is how well the rest of the deck can function in the meantime / while assembling.

Crypt Champion opens you up to losing to Mogg Fanatic, Loaming Shaman, and tons of other opposing creatures. It also loses you two creatures instead of one if disrupted. Finally, Crypt Champion requires you to play 3-4 colors instead of 2.

Is there some way to represent this in our X/X/X/Y categories?

EDIT: A newer combo is Reveillark + Nantuko Husk + Saffi Eriksdotter... but 3 card combos are supposed to be better than this, and this is vulnerable to way too much, not to mention takes 3 colors.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Isamaru View Post
    Crypt Champion opens you up to losing to Mogg Fanatic, Loaming Shaman, and tons of other opposing creatures. It also loses you two creatures instead of one if disrupted. Finally, Crypt Champion requires you to play 3-4 colors instead of 2.
    With Loyal Retainers, you have to sacrifice Saffi targeting the Retainers, let the ability resolve, then use the Retainers' ability. If, in response to Saffi's ability, the opponent kills the Retainers (with Fanatic or anything else) or RFGs the Saffi, the combo is disrupted. You lose both creatures if a kill spell was used, and only one if it was graveyard hate. The colour point stands.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEater View Post
    Not really! You cannot target the creature equipped with Lightning Greaves to equip it again. So you need a second creature to equip and than the first creature can sworded in response to the equip!
    Oh yeah. Throw in Leolin Shikari (instant speed equip).
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Allright here a serious one. I don't know if I got the figures right: but Salvager Game

2/7/4

The two you need for the combo are Gamekeeper and Cabal Therapy/Innocent Blood. The cost is for casting Gamekeeper/ Cabal Therapy the first time and Returning the LED the first time with Salvager. The Chaff is Auriok Salvager, Lion's Eye Diamond, Chromatic Star and Pyrite Spellbomb

Needleability: Yes (Needle on Salvager)
    Stiflabitiliy: Yes(Gamekeeper trigger?)
    Forceability: Yes (Gamekeeper, or sometimes LED)
    Swordsability: Yes(Gamekeeper or Salvager)
    Disenchantability: No
    Chaliceability: Yes(0 shuts of LED, 1 shuts of Spellbomb/Star)

You have Future Sight, Helm of Awakening and Sensei's Divining Top too. But that one is almost strictly worse than Sensei Sensei. The only advantage is that you have 1 piece less. 2x Sensei/Helm of Awakening/Brain Freeze is 4 pieces. And that Sensei/Future Sight, is pretty got by itself.

3/7-9/1

If you play Helm of Awakening first you can get a cheaper Future Sight and Top. You can get the CC down to 6 if you use Rector.

Needleability: Yes (Sensei)
    Stiflabitiliy: No( well they might Stifle Sensei)

This is not my combo( well the twoabove neither) I don't really know the real strenght of the combo: Academy Rector / Kaervek's Spite. You play Rector, EOT Spite. Rector searches for Barren Glory. Win in your upkeep.

2/7/1

Grave dependency: Yes(Rector Trigger)
    Needleability: No
    Forceability: Yes( note: countering Spite does nothing)
    Swordsability: Yes( although, you can always Spite in response and they can't plow in response)
    Chaliceability: No

BB

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Benie Bederios View Post
    Allright here a serious one. I don't know if I got the figures right: but Salvager Game

2/7/4
    There's also straight Bomberman:
    3/4/0
    Combo involves Salvagers, Diamond and Spellbomb/Chromatic

Stiflabitiliy: Yes, but stops the combo for just a turn.
    Swordsability: Yes
    Disenchantability: No
    Chaliceability: Yes (0 shuts of LED, 1 shuts of Spellbomb/Star)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

Nov 2005
    Germany

I will probably lag behind quite a bit bringing the opening post up to date... sick and need to catch up with my course, but I'm appreciating the responses.

The numbers aren't the end of it all, especially not if the enablers are true engine cards like Survival that can squeeze out additional mana by tutoring up Rofellos or having Volrath's Shapeshifter come into play as a Palinchron... I generally make as few assumptions as possible while remaining realistic.

For the same reason, I generally don't count tutors-on-speed as one-card combo, and am equally reluctant to include non-foolproof methods like Gamekeeper - if you include something to ensure you get what you need in the yard the thing is so unwieldy it's not practicable.

Elesh Norin Markov, Wary Vampiric Cenobite
    Feb 2007
    Hobart, New York

Why not Orim's Chant and Isochron Scepter. per turn to lock your opponent out of the game (save a thresholded Barbarian Ring) sounds like game over to me.
    "Oho! I have deluded you! For I am a clever trickster, and this is not actually the truth!"
    -Doug Beyer
    Quote Originally Posted by raharu View Post
    You should probably work for Wizards. Making Chaos Orb and Falling Star into evergreen keywords, maing Hellbent. srsly.

Thread Information