Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Compact Combos

Re: List of Compact Combos

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan View Post
    Why not Orim's Chant and Isochron Scepter. per turn to lock your opponent out of the game (save a thresholded Barbarian Ring) sounds like game over to me.
    If your opponents scoops to scepter/chant, well... he's a pretty bad player/deckbuilder... He can still play instants, thus digging for answers (brainstorm, predict, whatever). And then just play the answer (which are most likely also instants - see Krosan Grip).

Well, it is the classic scepter/chant combo... neat on the surface, but that's about it. In any case, if you want to use it, don't assume it'll win you the game by itself or you're in for a big surprise.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan View Post
    Why not Orim's Chant and Isochron Scepter. per turn to lock your opponent out of the game (save a thresholded Barbarian Ring) sounds like game over to me.
    You can respond to Scepter activations... also like every deck that can runs 3-4 krosan grip side. And its actually not ... anyways, its annoying at best not game over.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Always dazed
    Apr 2006
    Ravenna, Italy

Well, not every deck is prepared to Scepter-Chant G1.
    - Goblins doesn't have an out unless have an active vial, tinkerer or SGC.
    - Stax, Ichorid, Rock, PoX, Pikula, AggroLoam, Dragon Stompy, Survival Doesn't have an out preside.
    - Thresh-like decks have just FoW and Stifle.

Sure, G2 and 3 they have plenty hate to board in, but I'll not dismiss it that fast. It's better than Mogg Maniac + Fire Covenant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape, TrialByFire, Silverdragon mix
    We got Goyf Threshold, Deadgoyf Ale, Survival of the Goyfest and Goyfalid Breakfast.
    It probably won't end until we have decks like Goyf Stax, Goyfbelcher, Goyfchantress, Vial Goyflins, Goyfstill, Goyf from the Loam, Faergoyf Stompy, Goyf-Pox, Goyf Confinement, 8-Land Goyfstompy, and the Dave Gearhart classic, Goyfidarity.
    And Ichgoyfrid, Red Deadgoyf, GES, 42landand4goyf.dec, Goyf Game and Ill-Gotten-Goyf-y Pop
    Currently Playing: Nourishing Lich.Deck
    Current Record: 1-83-2

"Catches Bullets With His Teeth?"
    Apr 2007

Pestermite + Kiki Jiki Mirror Breaker = Infy hasty copies of pestermite

Nov 2005
    Germany

Scepter/Chant doesn't win the game. While it might herald a game win, many decks have an out and most should... instant-speed artifact destruction or even general-purpose tools: Counter the Chant, play a Pithing Needle.

Generally, I'm not including gamebreaking plays that don't win on their own; the Trix combo is the weakest win I'm still prepeared to include. A Trinisphere followed up by a Smokestack might not leave an option to break out of the lock... or it might be meaningless if the opponent has enough on the table to finish the job. Again, too situational.

Point taken about Pestermite and Kiki. In they go, although I don't think I'd usually plan on hardcasting them.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

A really bad combo I came up with. Crusading Knight and Urborg, Tomb of yawgmoth. I know, it's horrible.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Has anyone yet mentioned Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary + Staff of Domination?

Infinte life, infinite green mana and infinite card draw for 2 cards? Only thing that is required is 5 lands in play xD

You could of course use another creature that produces 5 or more mana. Priest of Titania, for example. Best card here is metalworker though, no wonder it's banned.

Rofellos is already in most Survival decks, right? Maybe an artifact tutor creature and one staff could make it out of another kill condition?
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by willoe View Post
    This is one of my favorite combos that I never managed to make work in a deck. I can't justify running Rofellos outside of Survival, and I can't justify running a non-Survivalable combo in Survival when I'd never get the Rofellos without the Survival anyway. And when I -do- get Rofellos/Staff, my manabase gets eaten before it hits the requisite 5 Forests needed for insanity.

Other neat cards with Staff of Domination (Besides the obvious Cabal Coffers):

Magus of the Coffers (Neat as a kill in Mono Black Control)
    Priest of Titania / Wirewood Channeler (Redundancy)
    Braid of Fire (Mostly cute and fun, but not terribly useful. Try this with Paradox Haze for ultimate bizarre scrubbery fun.)

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

@Taco: Staff only untaps creatures, which doesn't allow for infinite combos with Cabal Coffers. Magus of the Coffers could surely do, but hmm...

-DownSyndromeKarl

Oct 2007
    Hannover, Germany

Composite Golem + Corpse Dance + random storm-spell (2/6/1)

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

That's actually 2/5/1 if you can get the Golem into the yard in the first place. Neat how you don't have to, though.

While I'm at it, Defense of the Heart (w/ Kiki-Jiki & Pestermite in deck) = 1/4/2.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

With Hunted Troll as enabler! :D It could look good. Also, fetching two bringer of the blue dawn almost spells GG. It would just be kinda slow.

-DownSyndromeKarl

Enduring Renewal/Phyrexian Dreadnought/Altar of Dementia

3/4/0

Takes until turn 4 to get into play with appropriate acceleration or turn 5 with no acceleration. It's slow and you can see it coming a mile away but it decks on turn 4 or 5.

You play Altar of Dementia at first reasonable opportunity and then Enduring Renewal the following turn. If you're playing Dark Ritual you can half deck people the turn Enduring Renewal comes into play otherwise you're waiting for the next turn.

The combo is vulnerable to all graveyard hate and counterspells. It is not vulnerable to Swords to Plowshares because you can always re-activate Altar of Dementia in response to their StP after activating it the first time.

I see the combo fitting in as a secondary kill option in a Stifle-Nought or Vision Charm-Nought theme.

Infinte life, infinite green mana and infinite card draw for 2 cards? Only thing that is required is 5 lands in play xD

You could of course use another creature that produces 5 or more mana. Priest of Titania, for example. Best card here is metalworker though, no wonder it's banned.

Rofellos is already in most Survival decks, right? Maybe an artifact tutor creature and one staff could make it out of another kill condition?
    Been there, done that, played it and it works only against aggro. If your opponent stops your staff then the deck does nothing.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Banned
    Mar 2006

With Hunted Troll as enabler! :D It could look good. Also, fetching two bringer of the blue dawn almost spells GG. It would just be kinda slow.
    Hunted Troll is horrible. 8 mana combos are not tech. Believe me I've tested Hunted Troll with defense of the Heart. It's waaay too slow. You're better off running Forbidden Orchard and Crop Rotation.

I am testing dreadnought+ greater good.
    you draw 12 then do it once more discard sutured ghoul and play shallow grave for the win with four fow you have drawn backup.
    It is not really grave dependant cause you still draw 12 cards.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    I am testing dreadnought+ greater good.
    you draw 12 then do it once more discard sutured ghoul and play shallow grave for the win with four fow you have drawn backup.
    It is not really grave dependant cause you still draw 12 cards.
    Does that really work? If so, I'd probably play the combo in some storm based combo shell.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

As mentioned in the Shadowmoor thread - if the spoiled cards are correct, then

Swans of Bryn Argoll
    2{wu}{wu}
    Creature - Bird Spirit
    Flying
    If damage would be dealt to Swans of Bryn Argoll, prevent that damage. The controller of the damage's source then draws cards equal to the damage prevented in this way.
    4/3

plus Chain of Plasma would be a decent combo: 2/6/0 (you draw your deck, so you'd need SOME artifact mana in it...).
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Nov 2007
    Denmark

No you don't. Play combo control all the way and win on the spot with the only acceleration consiting of 4 (for consistensy increasements) Simian Spirit Guides and 1 Desperate Ritual and Lightning Storm.

EDIT: 4 SSG are for Chain of Plasma at instant speed anytime, then later 2 spirit guides, then 1 desp rit for lethal lightning storm. Forgot to explain that.

In fact, the "little" Plasma Swans/Hot Wings/Swan's Song/Chain Song whatever thread has a decklist that goes off at instant speed (exluding lands and swans) and can win through a STP, if anyone should have missed it.
    Last edited by Willoe; 04-01-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ...

-DownSyndromeKarl

Fart Confidant
    Feb 2008

Protean Hulk, Show and Tell, Cabal Therapy or Phyrexian Tower (2/3/1)

Grave dependency: Yes
    Needleability: No
    Stiflabitiliy: Yes
    Forceability: Yes
    Wastelandability: No
    Swordsability: Yes
    Disenchantability: No
    Chaliceability: Unfair

Thread Information