Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra Pro VS. Dragon Shield

Mar 2007
    RI

Re: Ultra Pro VS. Dragon Shield

I used to use Yanoman 100s. But guess they stopped with those.

Since then I've been using KMC regulars, which in my experience have been fine sleeves. They don't mark up very quickly, last for an event or two without any trouble, don't seem to split really, just eventually begin to scuff up on the backs.

I just picked up two packs of Yanoman 75s... from what I've seen posted there's sort of mixed reviews on them and tbh I haven't tried them yet, maybe will resleeve for next event to give them a run. At the very least they included a SB divider in each pack, which I was probably more stoked on than I should have been.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by yawg07 View Post
    Aquarian Age Colored Sleeves: I have never had the chance to try them, I can't find them anywhere, but I know they exist.
    Please contact me if you have any.
    Wow... That's some serious dough for some card sleeves
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Confound these ponies, they drive me to Brony.
    Nov 2007
    Rittman, OH

Bah ccghouse is a bunch of price jacking assholes. Another seller had some that they put at like $150 or $200 once and I talked to them.
    They said that they just put em at that because they are so rare, they clearly didn't expect to get it.
    I offered $35 to them and they declined me. Eh, whatever lol, maybe I'll offer $30 or so to ccghouse and see if they bite.
    I'm just really curious, and I've had the clear ones and they were ridiculously strong.

I'm a player, but also quite a collector, so I don't mind paying more money for really rare items.
    But I'm not expending $100 on sleeves haha

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

When I was in a journey in Japan, I bought a 80pcs green sleeves pack. I can't remember the brand, as they were supposed to be only to help me and my friend playing drafts with no risk of damaging the good cards. Eventually, those sleeves ar by far the best ones I've used, very thin, solid enough not to fold or tear, not sticking to each others. Well I don't know the brand, but 80Pcs packs are not that current, are they? By the way 80 is the best number, as a deck is 75 cards and you may want to have some emergency sleeves in case of loss or damaging.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Phew, I use KMC Matte Black the most. They are solid, have an acceptable length and are tournament legal from the beginning (some judges prohibit the "Super XXX" Sleeves because they are glossy and may reflect so you can peek at the top card by just lifting the card a littlebit. Whatever.

On the second Place: Dragonshields. Once the best imo, BUT Dragonshield has 1 weak spot: They were like the best sleeves available here, but then they changed something in their prodict range. Every sleeve was cut 1 millimeter shorter than beforce, allowing the cards to slip out easier and dust can invade into the sleeves, damaging the cards.
    But if you are lucky and get a well-fabricated one, you won't have anything to complain. Buying them is a gamble.

Ultra Pro:

Oh well, they have a variety of sleeves, but I will just talk about the rough-textured ones. I found that only the green ones are somehow well-fabricated. Ultra Pro "Matrix Green". They can stand a lot of punishment and I also have them for some time, they still look like new. Their corners somehow don't bend that easily than the other ones. I had the same sleeves in black, 500 of them. Every sleeve has got bent corners. The green ones somehow are still solid like on day 1.
    But I think every other Ultra Pro Sleeves but those "Matrix Green" are garbage. But everytime I use those sleeves I somehow have bad luck.

Cardway:

They look interesting since they are long. About 3 millimeters of space above the cards so the sleeve closes making it harder for dust and dirt to invade, but when I tried to shuffle them, HELL NO!!! What a friction between every singel sleeves! You really could hear a kind of squeaking when you riffle-shuffle them. They also don't survive very long.

@people with anticipation:

What are those Aquarian Age sleeves? If they are as good as yawg07 are, I want to try them as well. Where can i get them except on eBay for 100 Dollars (WTF?³)?
    Last edited by Adan; 02-20-2008 at 05:45 PM.
    Team SPOD
    <Der_imaginäre_Freund> props:
    Adan for being the NQG God (drawer)

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Are these sleeves any good? http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardd...?product=24119

I was thinking of buying them. It also doesn't label them PVC free which concerns me. What do you guys think?

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    It also doesn't label them PVC free which concerns me.
    Why does it concern you? PVC is only crappy when you burn it. Because then you will get poisoned by the emerging Dioxin.
    Team SPOD

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Adan View Post
    Why does it concern you? PVC is only crappy when you burn it. Because then you will get poisoned by the emerging Dioxin.
    I thought it stains and damages cards. I could be wrong though.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

I thought it stains and damages cards. I could be wrong though.
    Ah. But KMCs are fine. I think the thing you are worried about is that in the past, some sleeves contained a littlebit acid to keep the sleeves ductility. But after some time the sleeves sweat out that acid, which damaged the card (obvious since paper is a organic material). But the sleeves are acid free.

But other people, correct me if I was wrong.
    Team SPOD

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Are these sleeves any good? http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardd...?product=24119

I was thinking of buying them. It also doesn't label them PVC free which concerns me. What do you guys think?
    I actually bought a pack for the running gagg, by round 4 I was resleeving the deck back to dragon shields and ended up giving away the KMC golds to someone (I think whitewolf).
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    I actually bought a pack for the running gagg, by round 4 I was resleeving the deck back to dragon shields and ended up giving away the KMC golds to someone (I think whitewolf).
    This is why you don't like KMC sleeves. The matte sleeves are completely different than the glossy ones are.

explosive
    Feb 2006
    Germany - RLP

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    This is why you don't like KMC sleeves. The matte sleeves are completely different than the glossy ones are.
    Yeah, I almost forgot to mention that, matte sleeves are "thicker" than the glossy ones. That's why they are more solid.
    Team SPOD

Win or lose, it begins with...
    Mar 2007
    Milwaukee, WI

I haven't had any problems with the new UP sleeves (50ct per pack). I have probably 8 different colors, all of them are fine for me. No splits, no scratches, etc. I don't think there is a clear, definitive winner here; personal preference is the deciding factor here.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Is the one that I linked above glossy or matte? I need to know since I'm considering buying some. Thanx ahead of time.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

Glossy. Matte specifically say Matte.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Quote Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
    Glossy. Matte specifically say Matte.
    How can you tell? You speak Japanese?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

They say MATTE, in English, on the front. Matte come in three colors - Black, Dark Blue, and Red.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

The matte sleeves say Matte Black or Matte Blue on the front and are only available in those colors.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
    The matte sleeves say Matte Black or Matte Blue on the front and are only available in those colors.
    And Red.

Banned
    Mar 2006

Are the glossy versions really that bad, though?

Thread Information