Thread: TooSlowControl.dec

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

TooSlowControl.dec

With a shift in the metagame towards Threshold and the decline of Goblins (old news, I know) I decided to make a deck centered on one of my favorite cards: Gaea's Blessing. So I went through some old decklists and found one deck that really liked: Operation Dumbo Drop from PT New Orleans 2001. So I made a slight update to it:

//NAME: BlessGo
    // Artifacts
    2 Engineered Explosives
    // White
    3 Wrath of God
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    // Green
    1 Life from the Loam
    2 Gaea's Blessing
    3 Call of the Herd
    // Blue
    1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
    1 Forbid
    3 Fact or Fiction
    3 Intuition
    4 Impulse
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Counterspell
    4 Force of Will
    // Lands
    1 Forest
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    2 Maze of Ith
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Tundra

High control elements let it dominate the mid and late game but it's very vulnerable in the early game. I haven't worked out a sideboard except for maybe 4 Crypt and 3 Needle and maybe a Counterbalance plan in the board. In my area I am probably the only Legacy player so this deck is more for fun and theory than anything else. I was wondering if there are better kill conditions or a better way to approach the early game.
    Last edited by HSCK; 02-01-2008 at 12:05 AM.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Re: TooSlowControl.dec

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I was wondering if there are better kill conditions or a better way to approach the early game.
    Meloku is a fine kill condition, 3/3 elephant tokens however, are not. A nessian Courier and a hill giant in one card does not a goyf beat. Your deck also seems to lose to EE ironicly. perhaps you could run goyf as you happen to be playing green and aspire to win games.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Your Goyf comment is awesome. The synergy between Call of the Herd and Intuition+Fact or Fiction is really hard to pass up as a mid-to-late game win condition. This is after you've locked up the board. Perhaps Narcomoeba, Hierarch, or Brushopper.

None of which are better than Tarmogoyf, I'm sad to say.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

How about Roar of the Wurm? Excellent synergy and a fattie that even Goyfs pause at 50% of the time. I'm trying to avoid getting them after missing my opportunity to get them cheap.

If you're not going to run Tarmogoyf, you have to understand that your deck is going to be strictly inferior to a version that is running Tarmogoyf.
    SOURCE ASSHOLE
    Now Epic-ly Sexy
    My blog

Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

Of course, unless I'm running one of my other two decks where Goyf is unplayable like Dragon Stompy and StifleNought. I just want to get it to a point where it's fun to play and not a walk over for most decks. I really want to preserve that old school feel to it. I'm still confident that I can take on aggro-control and combo decks though. Keep the criticisms coming y'all are great.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by HSCK View Post
    I really want to preserve that old school feel to it.
    No offense, HSCK, but we're all hardcore Spikes here. The Wehrmacht did not bother to paint their Panzers in cool colour arrays - they just put big fucking guns on them.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Joe Cool Above All
    Sep 2007

I totally understand, I've been honing my Dragon Stompy skills with knowledge I've gained through that thread. I've been testing the deck and it is definitely way too slow, much slower than I thought it would be so I guess I may just keep it around as a historical curiousity if nothing else.

Thread Information