Thread: [Casual?][Budget!] Jhoira's Emerald Horologe

Feb 2008
    Czech Republic

[Casual?][Budget!] Jhoira's Emerald Horologe

This deck we can call:
    Goyffree green aggro
    Random bad green aggro (combo opponent in report)
    Deathtouch Bow
    Noobish green aggro

This deck, however, isn't new. Just follow the link at Magicdeckvortex (MDV). I work on this deck for about a year, Darth Sligh is my nickname on MDV. I even played in a small Legacy tournament with it (23 people) and made top8.

The current version:

18 Forest

4 Llanowar Elves
    1 Boreal Druid
    3 Quirion Ranger

4 Aquastrand Spider
    4 Thornweald Archer
    4 Lowland Basilisk

4 Jhoira's Timebug
    4 Fungal Behemoth
    4 Giant Dustwasp
    4 Durkwood Baloth

4 Viridian Longbow
    2 Darksteel Pendant

Sideboard:
    3 Thran Foundry (questionable)
    4 Sphere of Resistance (or Thorn of Amethyst)
    4 Krosan Grip
    4 Penumbra Spider
    (questionable)

Card choices:

18 Forest, 5 manaelves - seem to be optimal manabase. Fyndhorn would fit ofcourse better than Boreal, but i didn't care to purchase it.

3 Quirion Ranger - the engine. It helps elves, timebugs and equipped deathtouchers to work. It is only a support card, i need only 1 in play, so 3 is an optimal count.

4 Aquastrand Spider - gives Reach to other creatures, makes them bigger and has a nice synergy with Fungal Behemoth.

4 Thornweald Archer + 4 Lowland Basilisk - main defence pieces. With Ranger on board they can play attack + defence at once. If equipped - opponent's creatures do have big problem.

4 Jhoira's Timebug - the heart of this deck. The Horologe. It works with time counters. It can also block pro-green creatures (black dervish, Lynx).

4 Fungal Behemoth - The Big Bad One. Makes other bigger and then comes in even bigger.

4 Giant Dustwasp - 3/3 haste flyer for isn't bad, OK? It is sometimes even hardcasted.

4 Durkwood Baloth - is good. While Tarmogoyf is 0/1 for , this guy is 5/5 haste trooper for . (Just kidding.)

4 Viridian Longbow - supplies Masticore and SoFI and Cursed Scroll and Jitte and red splash for burn and black splash for creature removal and and and... it simply fits into this deck.

2 Darksteel Pendant - i tried SDT and Sylvan Library, but they didn't work well without fetchlands. Even Survival had problems without Genesis or Squee. So, if i want to keep it budget (i should), this is an optimal choice to prevent late game dead draws.

SB 3 Thran Foundry - questionable, because it doesn't help much vs Ichorid Bridge deck. I chose it because it is more flexible than Crypt, it can prevent me from mill-death and i even can shuffle opponent's library when he uses a top-library tutor.

SB 4 Sphere of Resistance - storm hoser. It can help a little also in control matchup and vs Burn.

SB 4 Krosan Grip - nearly uncounterable Disenchant.

SB 4 Penumbra Spider - questionable, but excellent vs board control decks. Maybe Pithing Needle should be here.

--------------------------------------

Versions & How to improve/debase it?

1) Tarmogoyf
    This deck runs permanents only, i want to have them in play (or on suspend), not in graveyard, so without opponent's "help" Tarmogoyf is 0/1 the whole time. Moreover, 1 Tarmogoyf card price cost is double than this whole deck (without SB).

2) Survival
    Interesting idea, but the improvement is negligable. Even with Squee and/or Genesis, the clock doesn't become faster. Deck become only a little more consistent, which is not really needed.

3) Sylvan Library (or SDT) + fetchlands (or Land Grant, Search for Tomorrow...)
    There is a problem with tuning. I had to use fetchland often before i had a benefit from SL. Then i could work with 3 top cards in library, but i hadn't fetch effect anymore to shuffle it. Pendant is better solution.

4) Treetop Village, Mishra's Factory & co.
    This isn't casual material and in competitive tournament matches it only makes opponent's Wasteland happy.

5) Wasteland, Dust Bowl
    I think it is cool and fresh idea run deck with basics only in Legacy.

6) Combat tricks (Giant Growth, Berserk, Rancor, Bounty of the Hunt...)
    It would be trade-off: abandon/weaken its own strategy for more speed. The result would be diluted and terribly sub-optimal Stompy deck.

7) Jitte, SoFI
    These equipments are good, but... They need combat to work. I don't know how it would work. Needle stops them completely, but Needle doesn't stop Viridian Longbow if already equipped (the ability comes from equipped creature, not Longbow), it stops equip only.

8) Extended legal version
    Only Quirion Ranger and Lowland Basilisk are out of Extended. They can be replaced with Scryb Ranger and Wren's Run Vanquisher.

-----------------------------------------------------

This deck isn't fully competitive in Legacy, but ti is plyable in Threshold + Landstill + aggro field with less combo.

In the previous version i played Ashcoat Bears and Vitality Charm to play around Threshold's countermagic, but he put Tarmogoyf and Mystic Enforcer on the table and just smiled at me. The big problem was also his Meddling Mage naming my suspended beaters. Deathtouch blockers weren't enough to save me, because he always had StP + countermagic in the right time. This version is designed to be better vs Threshold.

The games vs Threshold are always tough and violent. This matchup is ofcourse far from autowin (any Tier1 Legacy matchup is). The most important thing is stop/slow HIS clock with deathtouch blockers (don't hope so much for equip, but if...) and set up own clock with suspended beaters. There are many things Threshold player has to do and your beaters should be greater in late game than his. Even if he hides behind Worship, you can hide behind your creatures and wait intil he mills himself with his own cantrips.

The important things are: suspended creatures have haste and they are nearly immune to EE, Pernicious Deed, Pyroclasm and Smother. They are also out of range of Counterbalance and Chalice.

This deck wasn't created to face combo. The sideboard may help a little, but still it is unfavourable.

Re: [Casual?][Budget!] Jhoira's Emerald Horologe

You remind me of myself when I started legacy.
    How about bottled cloister? Cloister gives you an additional card a turn without drawbacks (infact it makes you invulnerable to discard).
    Btw., your deck is more aggro/control than pure aggro.

Team Lucksack - Founder
    Oct 2007
    Columbus, Ohio

Re: [Casual?][Budget!] Jhoira's Emerald Horologe

"created to face combo. The sideboard may help a little, but still it is unfavourable"

Move thorn of amethyst to the main, probably along with some more mana to accel and provide consistant draws. This is how I'd build the deck (keep in mind that deathtouch works as a better basilisk ability, as it does it immediatly, not just end of combat): (keeping it budget)

Deathtouch.dec
    //Lands// (19)
    18 Forest
    1 pendelhaven

//Guys// (22)
    4x Llanowar Elves
    4x Quirion Ranger
    4x Thornweald Archers
    4x Wren's Run Vanquisher
    4x Wolf-Skull Shaman
    1x Virdiran Zealot
    4x Imperious Perfect
    2x Eternal Witness
    3x Elvish Harbinger
    2x Wren's Run Packmaster

//Spells// (9)
    3x Thronbite Staff
    2x Vidiran Longbow
    4x Thorn of Amethyst
    It would play a lot like Elves.dec, but with a deathouch 'oops I win' thrown in, as if you can put thornbite or longbow on one you can retty much wipe the board. I also like the tken-making aspect for staying alive. Thorn disrupts your deck very little while screwing over many legacy decks (other than goblins and sui decks)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    Phasing is absurdly complicated. Did you know that if a token phases out with Equipment attached to it, the Equipment phases out, the token will cease to exist and the Equipment will never phase back in?

Well, now you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Media314r8 View Post
    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Thread Information