Page 124 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 3594

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    So I browsed through "The Gatherer" to familiarize myself with the new Commander cards. There were some that caught my eye that could be additions to the current Reanimator deck. I guess this is all supposing that these new card will be Legacy legal (any information on this would be helpful). I am pretty happy with my creature base but am always open to new considerations. So below you will find some interesting finds that we could discuss in this forum.

Archangel of Strife
    Celestial Force
    Damia, Sage of Stone
    Magmatic Force
    Ruhan of the Fomori
    Sewer Nemesis
    Trench Gorger
    Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter

Now these options each have some sort of neat effect. Some offer faster clocks, removal, card advantage, etc. I guess I am just interested if you guys think any warrant testing.

Archangel of Strife - giving a zoo opponent +3 against this angel = sucide
    Avatar of Slaughter - dont think double strike is too valuable in our combo deck
    Celestial Force - 3 life ?
    Damia, Sage of Stone - JGCA is better
    Magmatic Force - 3 dmg per upkeep?
    Ruhan of the Fomori - probably will hard cast this easily in other decks
    Sewer Nemesis - i think even goyf might be better? perhaps choosing yourself and getting Tormod's after that might be funny. hard castable though
    Trench Gorger - 43 lands perhaps
    Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter - we dont have creatures to sac. bogardan hellkite ?

sorry, was just putting out that these guys might not be able to cut into our current selection that much. little under par of usefulnes

how about Buried Alive :
    Putrefax + Death's Shadow + mimeoplasm = 18-16 Trample, haste, infect creature
    or
    Empyrial Archangel + Death's Shadow + mimeoplasm = 18-21 Flying, shroud ( you cant die from attacks )

we can use Shallow Grave or Goryo's Vengeance as reanimation spells ( both give your creature hast )

P.s. not my idea : http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...aster+of+Trest

If there is any way to use Intuition to create an strong creature combo combo with Mimeoplasm, then playing both Buried Alive and Intution, and Sol lands/Rituals to combo out faster, will be a very potent deck in the format (maybe maindeck show and tell as well). It could have a manabase very similar to Fairie Stompy.

Even in such a deck though, I wouldn't replace permanent reanimate effects like Reanimate/Exhume with temporary one time use ones. Because the permanent reanimate effects will let you play cards like Careful Study and Entomb, and have an all around far more flexible and consistent (and faster) deck.

I don't see why people are currently going exited over the mimeoplasm thing.
    There is no way you can get an instant kill with it, ( sometimes even two turns if they have a simple birds blocking it )

AND there already is a very good buried alive combo ( necrotic ooze, triskelion and phyrexian devourer ) which Kills on the spot.

So I really don't get it, why people are getting exited over the mimeoplams

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dieth View Post
    I don't see why people are currently going exited over the mimeoplasm thing.
    There is no way you can get an instant kill with it, ( sometimes even two turns if they have a simple birds blocking it )

AND there already is a very good buried alive combo ( necrotic ooze, triskelion and phyrexian devourer ) which Kills on the spot.

So I really don't get it, why people are getting exited over the mimeoplams
    Putrefax + Death's Shadow + mimeoplasm = 18-16 Trample, haste, infect creature is a 1 turn kill

or :
    Shallow Grave or Goryo's Vengeance + Buried Alive + Emrakul, the Aeons Torn + Death's Shadow + mimeoplasm...

a 28 - 28 Flying, protection from colored spells, annihilator 6 + haste lol !

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslan View Post
    Putrefax + Death's Shadow + mimeoplasm = 18-16 Trample, haste, infect creature is a 1 turn kill
    ..... BAM, STP .....

A combo that folds to stp .. Great ..

Why, oh Why, is that better then necrotic ooze combo?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

..... BAM, STP .....

Because that combo is more interactive and Necrotic Ooze once set up is a straight up win? [/sarcasm]
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

..... BAM, STP .....

because every part of this combo can be played on it s own: you can cast Death's Shadow you can reanimate Empyrial Archangel and in a pinch you can pitch mimeoplasm to force of will.

+ you can play the normal 7 other creatures .

with the ooze combo its harder to play with Jin.

I has big critta!
    Jun 2010
    Frankfurt, Germany

I don't really think the Deck gets any better by playing any kind of combo in it.
    Let's be honest. The real problem is the consistency. Without this consistency the Deck won't be tier 1 in the current Metagame. I've been playing with Jin lately and I like the tune it gives the Deck, but right now we lack another good discard outlet. I don't like putrid imp, because there's no real benefit the discard has.

Another way to fight MM and GY-hate is propably Show and Tell. It might also add some consistency, but it is quite bad against a variety of Decks that also like to abuse the card.

What do you guys play as grave-fillers and why?

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post

Archangel of Strife
    Celestial Force
    Damia, Sage of Stone
    Magmatic Force
    Ruhan of the Fomori
    Sewer Nemesis
    Trench Gorger
    Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter

Now these options each have some sort of neat effect. Some offer faster clocks, removal, card advantage, etc. I guess I am just interested if you guys think any warrant testing.
    I would like to talk about some of these options. Archangel of Strife and Magmatic Force both allow for fast clocks. In the right match ups, Archangel of Strife could make for turn 4 wins. Call war and then beat for 9 twice. That should be enough to take care of decks running fetchlands or any other form of life loss. However as pointed out you wouldn't want to pull this out versus Zoo or Affinity. This may be a subpar call for the main but could be decent to add to the board versus slower control oriented builds. Just attack fast and kill them before they can set anything up. On the other hand, most of our other threats will only add an extra turn or two to this clock. Therefore I am just toying around with this idea.

Magmatic Force could prove another 2 turn clock in some match ups while also offering the bonus of recurring removal which could improve match ups with lots of little dorks (tempo bant, merfolk, zoo, affinity, etc.). Worse case scenario, you burn out your opponent in the exchange of 7 upkeeps, that is 4 opponent and 3 of yours. That is a pretty quick clock too. This plan can even work through combat lock down. This would make a great addition to combat pesky cards such as Peacekeepers, Propaganda, and so on. I think this new arrival could be a really good one-of for the main deck or at least considered for the sideboard.

The other cards I have listed are more than likely subpar, as we more than likely have better options in the main deck already. But I figured I would list them to get some feedback.
    Last edited by Sturtzilla; 06-19-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: WOOT! Post number 100!

@Latest posts

I don't want to be rude but if you want to talk about Ooze-Like Reanimator (or any other kind of Reanimator) you should create a new thread. Here we deal with classic UBx Reanimator lists. Thanks.

According to the new Commander creatures, no one makes the cut, we already have more powerful tools.

@Build optimization

I) The model

I made the math for a bunch of builds (25) according to a new model. This model takes into account 2 things :
    - The god hands
    - The "other keepable hands"

I call "Other keepable hands" hands statisfying 2 criterias :
    - Hands with 1 combo piece missing
    - Hands with a probability of getting by turn 3 the combo piece missing larger than 50% (50% is roughly the probability you have to get a god hand if you mulligain up to 5)

But I did not only considered these hands and their raw probabilities. For each other keepable hand, I determined the exact probability of having the combo by turn 3. This essentially takes into account the draws (regular draws + cantrips).
    In that way, I turned other keepable hands into some god hands.

Example :
    - we have 1% probabilty of drawing the keepable hand X
    - that hand has a 50% probability of having the combo pieces by turn 3
    => this is equivalent to a god hand with a 0,5% probability

II) Results

You'll find below the math for :
    - 7 cards hands ("no mull" in the picture below)
    - 6 cards hands ("mull to 6" in the picture below)
    - 5 cards hands ("mull to 5" in the picture below)
    - The "sum" of the 3 : this is the probability of the strategy saying "I mulligan up to 5 if I don't have a God hand or a Keepable Hand"
    - All of that on the play, on the draw, on "average" (50% of the on the play result + 50% of the on the draw result)
    - With 11 or 12 permission spells

Results :

Entomb => Entomb
    Exhume => Exhume and Animate Dead
    Rea => Reanimate
    Careful => Careful Study
    Hapless => Hapless Researcher
    Crea => Creature
    BS Like => Brainstorm, Ponder...
    Perm => Permission spells (Fow, Daze, Mental misstep)
    Swamp => Swamp
    Island => Island
    Lands => Any non basic land (fetchs + Usea)

Analysis :

1) The difference between being on the play or on the draw is quite significant (6,4%) and one could consider going second on G1 and having the good build to do so (17 Lands, 12 Creatures, 11 Reanimate effects, 11 Discard outlets, 2 Brainstorm with a massive 76,3%)

2) You don't have more than 2% difference between the 18 first builds so yeah we're optimizing but we have to be aware this might be up to personal preference without a huge impact (even if I will personally mainly try the first 3 builds)

3) The 2 Brainstorm strategy isn't an absurdity : dedicating more slots to the combo pieces seems the best strategy (remember these numbers take into account the draws coming from Brainstorm when you have it). Post board you bring them in to find your anti-hate more easily

4) If you want to run 4 Brainstorms the best strategy is 17 Lands, 11 Creatures, 11 Reanimate effects, 10 Discards outlets with 72,2%

5) Aslan, the build you asked for (12 Creature, 10 Discard, 10 Reanimate, 12 Permission) has an overall 70%

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

I've been testing the maindeck Clark Kant proposed with the sideboard Sturt proposed, and it's been rock-solid, much more consistent than the Lim-Dul's Vault lists I've played in the past. Once I finish my set of Seas and get a set of Entombs, I plan on playing this. Sphinx of the Steel Wind has gotten a lot better now that Mental Misstep has seen print.

Regarding Boomerang over Echoing Truth- aside from being harder to cast, it's also quite awkward against two Leyline of the Voids. Being able to Stone Rain at instant speed is nice, but at that point, you've already drawn seven new cards, and will likely have some permission in hand to deal with anything that the opponent might want to cast before they have to pitch their hand.

@Garobidou- thanks a ton for crunching the numbers. This table will be of great help.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Jun 2011
    n/a

Good afternoon,

I'm new to legacy and am looking for some perspectives on playing with terastadon. I played in a legacy tournament yesterday and didn't want to get the elephant or want to reanimate him all day. I ended up siding out the Don every match. So is the elephant worth a main deck slot? If you feel like he should be in the main deck how often do you use him?

Thanks

Kevin, awesome to hear you're enjoying the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Garobidou View Post
    [Analysis :

1) The difference between being on the play or on the draw is quite significant (6,4%) and one could consider going second on G1 and having the good build to do so (17 Lands, 12 Creatures, 11 Reanimate effects, 11 Discard outlets, 2 Brainstorm with a massive 76,3%)

2) You don't have more than 2% difference between the 18 first builds so yeah we're optimizing but we have to be aware this might be up to personal preference without a huge impact (even if I will personally mainly try the first 3 builds)

3) The 2 Brainstorm strategy isn't an absurdity : dedicating more slots to the combo pieces seems the best strategy (remember these numbers take into account the draws coming from Brainstorm when you have it). Post board you bring them in to find your anti-hate more easily.

4) If you want to run 4 Brainstorms the best strategy is 17 Lands, 11 Creatures, 11 Reanimate effects, 10 Discards outlets with 72,2%

5) Aslan, the build you asked for (12 Creature, 10 Discard, 10 Reanimate, 12 Permission) has an overall 70%
    Absolutely stunning work Garobidou. Thank you so much for calculating all of that out. Many times I've found myself Brainstorming into junk, so it makes sense. I do appreciate Brainstorm for it's ability to get me sideboard hate easier though.

I am surprised that you results show nothing for a 3 Brainstorm configuration. Intuitively, 3 Brainstorm seems like a good compromise between consistency and flexibility.

I will absolutely try...

17 Land, 11 Permission, 3 Hapless Researcher, 4 Careful Study, 4 Entomb, 4 Reanimate, 4 Exhume, 3 Animate Dead, 8 Creature, 2 Brainstorm build that your calculations recommend.

Ultimately though, I really want to play this configuration...

17 Land, 11 Permission, 3 Hapless Researcher, 4 Careful Study, 4 Entomb, 4 Reanimate, 4 Exhume, 3 Animate Dead, 7 Creature, 3 Brainstorm.

Is there any chance that you calculated the statistics for that build?

I would really appreciate it a lot if you could post the results with that configuration. Thank you again.

Kevin, awesome to hear you're enjoying the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Garobidou View Post
    [Analysis :

3) The 2 Brainstorm strategy isn't an absurdity : dedicating more slots to the combo pieces seems the best strategy (remember these numbers take into account the draws coming from Brainstorm when you have it). Post board you bring them in to find your anti-hate more easily.

Absolutely stunning work Garobidou. Thank you so much for calculating all of that out. Many times I've found myself Brainstorming into junk, so it makes sense. I do appreciate Brainstorm for it's ability to get me sideboard hate easier though.

I am surprised that you results show nothing for a 3 Brainstorm configuration. Intuitively, 3 Brainstorm seems like a good compromise between consistency and flexibility.

I will absolutely try...

17 Land, 11 Permission, 3 Hapless Researcher, 4 Careful Study, 4 Entomb, 4 Reanimate, 4 Exhume, 3 Animate Dead, 8 Creature, 2 Brainstorm build that your calculations recommend.

Ultimately though, I really want to play this configuration...

17 Land, 11 Permission, 3 Hapless Researcher, 4 Careful Study, 4 Entomb, 4 Reanimate, 4 Exhume, 3 Animate Dead, 7 Creature, 3 Brainstorm.

Is there any chance that you calculated the statistics for that build?

I would really appreciate it a lot if you could post the results with that configuration. Thank you again.

May 2008
    Newtown, PA

Thanks for the advice guys!

So I took Reanimator to a local four round Legacy tournament this Saturday. I went 2-2, but I managed to get at least one win in every round, which I was proud of, given my lack of experience with the deck.

3 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Blazing Archon

4 Entomb
    4 Careful Study
    3 Hapless Researcher

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    3 Animate Dead

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Daze

4 Brainstorm

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Island
    1 Swamp

Sideboard (half-assed at the last minute):
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Terastodon
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Echoing Truth
    1 Show and Tell
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 Submerge
    2 Stifle

Regardless, here is a report. I stupidly forgot to take notes, so everything's from memory and a bit fuzzy, but I believe I got the general gist of things down. The sideboarding may not be exact, but along the lines of what I post.

Round 1 vs Mono Red Goblins (With no Wastelands/Ports and mental Misstep)

Game 1: He Misstep'd my Hapless Researcher, which I admit, I was not expecting! Nevertheless, I Misstep'd his Lackey and Entomb + Reanimate'd Sphinx the next turn. It was simple after that.

Out: 1 Jin-Gitaxias, 1 Animate Dead, 1 Hapless Researcher, 1 Daze
    In: 1 Elesh Norn, 1 Show and Tell, 2 Echoing Truth

Game 2: He sticks a first turn Vial. I draw a Misstep and play Sea, holding Entomb + Reanimate. I Entomb for Elesh Norn at the end of his turn, and bring it into play the next turn. It severely stalls him and swings for a resounding 3 a turn until he topdecks Stingscourger, for which I have no countermagic. I get a JGCA into my graveyard and make the stupidest mistake I've made in my Magic: The Gathering Career: I use Exhume instead of the Animate Dead in my hand; clearly, I wasn't thinking.
    He of course gets Stingscourger and bounces JGCA back to my hand, where he sits while I eventually lose the game to Goblin Chieftain + Ringleader + Warchief + Piledriver, drawing a Hapless Researcher only to get it Misstep'd.

Game 3: He drops out Chalice of the Void at 1, two Tormod's Crypts, Warren Instigator after that, and I see no Echoing Truths at all and only draw 1-cost cards for the few turns I'm alive.

So yeah, horrible horrible mistake on my part lost me the round. I definitely need a lot more practice with the deck, that's for sure.

Round 2 vs a mono blue deck which used Basalt/Grim Monolith + Power Artifact to make Infinite Mana and Goblin Cannon/Cast Emrakul/Stroke of Genius for the win.

Game 1: I manage to stick a second turn JGCA which wins the game easily, as I don't believe he had any removal and even if he did, I was holding FOW, Daze, and Misstep.

Out: 2 JGCA, 1 Hapless Researcher, 1 Animate Dead, 2 Daze (Because he always seemed to have ridiculous mana), 1 Blazing Archon
    In: 1 Iona, 1 Show and Tell, 2 Echoing Truth, 3 Pithing Needle

I honestly don't remember how Game 2 went, but I believe he assembled his combo quickly, through my Countermagic, and beat me.

Game 3: He gets a Leyline of the Void out before the game starts, so I'm searching for my bounce spells or Show and Tell. I manage to drop THREE Pithing Needles, naming both Monoliths and Goblin Cannon. He then manages to Power Artifact his Basalt Monolith into Helm of Obedience, and has enough mana to activate it to promptly kill me.

Again, more mistakes on my part and a very close game 3.

Round 3 vs Dredge (LEDless)

Game 1: Thanks to a Daze and 2 Mental Missteps, I keep him off of having 3 discard outlets. Eventually, he DDD's into a Golgari Thug. I use Reanimate on it to slow him down a bit, which is successful. From there, I managed to get out Blazing Archon and promptly won due to his lack of outs to it.

Out: 3 JGCA (Was this a good idea? My first instinct was "don't let Dredge discard their hand"
    In: 1 Elesh Norn, 2 Echoing Truth

Game 2: I get out Elesh Norn which simply keeps him off of creatures for the game. I get there by swinging with Elesh Norn.

Luck on my part for the first game, being able to slow him down tremendously.

Round 4 vs Bant Aggro (With NO-Progenitus and Stoneforge-Batterskull)

Game 1: I get out second turn Inkwell Leviathan via Reanimate and he manages to get out Stoneforge Mystic and Batterskull. And, thanks to the Noble Hierarch he dropped, he fetched out non-blue lands, so I didn't have Islandwalk. He drops out multiple creatures after that and simply outraces me, thanks to that stupid Batterskull's lifelink.

Out: 1 Hapless Researcher, 1 Animate Dead, 1 JGCA, 1 Daze
    In: 1 Show and Tell, 3 Echoing Truth

Game 2: I get out JGCA through countermagic second turn and he scoops.

Game 3: I manage to get out Blazing Archon with Animate Dead and he gets really crap draws which ultimately allows me to go the distance.[/spoiler]

Thoughts:

- Elesh Norn is beastly against certain decks, namely Dredge and Goblins. Considering their popularity in my metagame, I'm keeping Elesh in the sideboard.
    - JGCA is also insane if he gets going.
    - I really wish there was a way to tutor for Echoing Truth. lol
    - This deck is fun as hell to play.
    - Most games I lost were due to misplays (which I can work on with practice) or just bad luck.
    - I really need to get another Show and Tell

Is there a guide to playing against graveyard hate?

Just out of curiosity, why would you Elesh Norn against Goblins and not Iona? They can still drop Vial and cheat them in, but you're running 11 counters to deal with 4 cards that every single one of your counters can hit.

The best reanimate target against Goblins is Sphinx, not Iona nor Elesh. This is the main mistake Darksteel did in his Goblin game :
    - Sphinx can't be removed by stingscourger nor Gempalm (that way it completely crushes Mono-R Goblin)
    - Sphinx can attack : this is one of the main issue with Elesh Norn. It has no evasion so yeah it can stall but it cannot win. Sphinx can
    - Gaining 12 life a turn (6 on yours, 6 on your opponent's turn if he attacks) prevents you from being alpha strike

@ Clark Kant :
    Actually I did not consider the less than 4 brainstorms option before I did the math. I did it at the end and I just did it for the Kyle Kloster build. This is why there's no 3 Brainstorms build and not many 2 brainstorms builds.
    However I'm currently doing the whole math for 200 builds (basically all the options you have for the remaining 11 cards of a 49-cards core build including 4 Entomb, 4 Exhume, 4 Rea, 4 Careful, 6 Creatures, 11 Permissions, 16 Lands). This will include 0, 1, 2 and 3 Brainstorms builds. I should finish tomorrow and post the results.

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

@ Garobidou

Thanks for crunching all of the numbers! The table above is an awesome resource. I am looking forward to what your finding are for builds with varying numbers of brainstorms.

@ Clark Kant

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    I am surprised that you results show nothing for a 3 Brainstorm configuration. Intuitively, 3 Brainstorm seems like a good compromise between consistency and flexibility. 17 Land, 11 Permission, 3 Hapless Researcher, 4 Careful Study, 4 Entomb, 4 Reanimate, 4 Exhume, 3 Animate Dead, 8 Creature, 2 Brainstorm build that your calculations recommend.

I think that the two builds you have listed could both be really great. I am also very interested to see what the results will be for these. On a personal note I think I like the second one better, but I have a feeling that the stats for the first one would be a bit better. I agree with you about brainstorming trying to find pieces and getting nowhere. Maybe the best thing to do is in fact cut brainstorms for a combo pieces, land, etc to improve consistency.

@ KevinTrudeau

I am really glad that you have been having some decent success with the build that we have concocted here. On a side note, I believe that my main is basically one permission (-1 Daze for +1 Mental Misstep) and maybe one creature different than what Clark Kant is playing. Ultimately they are minor tweaks for meta game and player preference. Thanks for the feedback and keep on rolling people with this awesome build.

@ Rampant

The maindeckability of Terastadon is kind of meta dependant. I guess there would be some metas where he would always be a great target. Those would be slower, removal light ones. That way you can bring him in nuke your own lands and win the subsequent turn. Also if you meta has a load of troublesome permanents. Things like Ensnaring Bridge, Defense Grid, Propangda, Batterskull, etc. he can be great. Nuke the stuff that your opponent boarded in and rape them with a big elephant. However, it has been my experience that in game 1 Jin-Gitaxias is nearly always better. So, my short and answer is no, he does not belong in the main. I run one and he is in the sideboard. Finally, you said yourself you were boarding him out nearly every chance you got. I think that clearly shows that in your meta he should be in your board. Hope that helps!

@ Darksteel

Hey a 2-2 run with a deck the first time you go out with it isn't bad man! Like you said you made a few mistakes here and there. The fact that you recognized them and will take the knowledge forward is what matters. Hell, I have been playing variants of this deck for years and sometimes I still slip up. The more you play your build the more you will get comfortable with it and and know the ins and outs of it. This will be what allows you to finish better and start taking down entire tourneys.

@ Kich867

Elesh basically shuts down the entire deck. Sure they can vial in dudes but they will die when they hit play. The only things you have to worry about would be Stingscouger or maybe Gempalm Incinerator. I think Garobidou sums it up in an earlier post, but Sphinx is really the way to go in this match up. They can't remove him unless they have the black splash (even then it is questionable due to our Researchers and countermagic) and he will attack and defend simultanesouly while gaining you life and putting you out of their alpha strike range. I think Elesh is good in this match up but as demonstrated Sphinx is the clear go to creature.

Thread Information