Page 135 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,700 of 3594

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    Well for some reason the announcers on SCG were discussing this interaction when Eli Kassis cast a Show and Tell during his feature match.
    There was an issue with a judge rulling. Kassis was playing against a Zoo player who had double Tormod's Crypt on the battlefield. He cheked the oracle text on Animate Dead and conferred with the judge. The ruling was that the Zoo player couldn't respond to the Animate Dead with Crypt since it enters the battlefield attached to a creature.

Truth is the entire situation was off. Metamorph could have only entered the battlefield as a copy of Tormod's Crypt or 0/0 and Crypt could have removed a graveyard with Animate Dead's "enchant type change" trigger on the stack.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Testing out Darkslick Shores as a 5th Underground Sea. Anyone else feel awkward when you have a Daze in hand but Darkslick Shores is your only land on board?

i would be placing watery grave instead to avoid those kind of troubles ^^

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post
    There was an issue with a judge rulling. Kassis was playing against a Zoo player who had double Tormod's Crypt on the battlefield. He cheked the oracle text on Animate Dead and conferred with the judge. The ruling was that the Zoo player couldn't respond to the Animate Dead with Crypt since it enters the battlefield attached to a creature.

Truth is the entire situation was off. Metamorph could have only entered the battlefield as a copy of Tormod's Crypt or 0/0 and Crypt could have removed a graveyard with Animate Dead's "enchant type change" trigger on the stack.
    Hold on, this whole situation is confusing me. Animate dead enters attached to the creature in the yard. Then it has a trigger than changes it's type and returns the creature to the field. You can respond with the crypt and get his dude, no? So did the judge just rule wrong or something?

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Personally I run 2 Darkslick Shores and 3 Daze: while sometimes (very few) I was with one Darkslick Shores in play and Daze in hand, it was definitely mitigated by having 5th and 6th Underground sea that doesn't deal damage. Life points are a resorurce for this deck (reanimate, fetches) and I try not to put any other burdens on it.
    That's the reason why I personally wouldn't run watery grave.

Greetings.

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

How often do you guys choose to draw G1 against an opponent who you know plays Mental Missteps and Force of Will? If you have just one discard outlet but several reanimation effects in hand, are you likely to just draw-discard-pass on turn 1? Against what matchups would you generally commend this?

On the other hand, if I have three discard outlets in hand (multiple Careful Study, Entomb, Hapless Researcher), I love to simply lay down my land and bait out opposing countermagic.

Meh.
    Aug 2006
    Atlanta, Ga

Quote Originally Posted by rupus View Post
    Hold on, this whole situation is confusing me. Animate dead enters attached to the creature in the yard. Then it has a trigger than changes it's type and returns the creature to the field. You can respond with the crypt and get his dude, no?
    Yes, there is an opportunity to remove the graveyard with the etb trigger on the stack.

So did the judge just rule wrong or something?
    Yes, bad ruling is bad.
    Tusk up.

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Just fucking ban the 600 pound gorilla and be done with it. FFS

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthepit View Post
    How often do you guys choose to draw G1 against an opponent who you know plays Mental Missteps and Force of Will? If you have just one discard outlet but several reanimation effects in hand, are you likely to just draw-discard-pass on turn 1? Against what matchups would you generally commend this?

On the other hand, if I have three discard outlets in hand (multiple Careful Study, Entomb, Hapless Researcher), I love to simply lay down my land and bait out opposing countermagic.
    Against control you're probably fine doing that. You get a free discard outlet and they probably can't punish you for the tempo loss.

I normally open with my worst spell. I've noticed people are a bit trigger happy when it comes to using Mental Misstep against combo.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Hi guys. What i m about to ask is a bit off the current topic. As i saw on gatherer, animate dead can NO LONGER bring pro black creatures in the field so it doesn't work with sphinx of the steel wind and anything else similar. So my question is, how much does it affect our game plan now that we play 3 animate dead plus 1-2 sphinxes which CANNOT be brought to unlife by it?

Clergyman of Cool
    Mar 2009
    Daisy Hill Puppy Farm

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorMask View Post
    Hi guys. What i m about to ask is a bit off the current topic. As i saw on gatherer, animate dead can NO LONGER bring pro black creatures in the field so it doesn't work with sphinx of the steel wind and anything else similar. So my question is, how much does it affect our game plan now that we play 3 animate dead plus 1-2 sphinxes which CANNOT be brought to unlife by it?
    Sphinx of the Steel Wind doesn't (normally) have protection from black, so there is no problem trying to play Animate Dead on it.

I am also 99% sure that Animate Dead can bring back creatures that have shroud.

However, Animate Dead does lack synergy with Akroma, Angel of Wrath, which is one of many reasons why it has fallen out of disfavor.

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Quote Originally Posted by whienot View Post

See I was watching the game, but he was cantripping so much I must have lost interest. Just kidding. I generally focus on what the players are doing disregard the announcers. So I caught some of that conversation but not all of it, I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

Testing out Darkslick Shores as a 5th Underground Sea. Anyone else feel awkward when you have a Daze in hand but Darkslick Shores is your only land on board?
    We discussed this a few pages back. Darkslick Shores offers you the mana fixing the deck needs, while also helping against Wasteland heavy builds. However it can screw you from casting Daze for its alternate cost, which is quite relevant. I would suggest running another fetch in that slot, to avoid this issue.

Sphinx of the Steel Wind doesn't (normally) have protection from black, so there is no problem trying to play Animate Dead on it.
    Exactly. Where is the problem here?

I am also 99% sure that Animate Dead can bring back creatures that have shroud.
    At SCG Pittsburgh the player of the NO Elves deck called a judge on me for this play, during game 1. I targeted an Inkwell with Animate Dead. Well Shroud only matters when the creature is on the battlefield, so you can Animate Dead creatures with Shroud.

Aug 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA

Sandoz + Sturtzilla,
    Thanks for the responses. That is the play that I chose as well due to the general wait-as-long-as-possible-to-cast-instants-etc guidelines under which I have always played magic. I sometimes don't know how much I should be playing around specific answers in Legacy, where there are so many answers to everything. I guess that will come with more experience with the format.

For those people that are playing grave titan and sundering titan, what situations/decks do you bring those cards in? Also, what is everyone's opinion on hymn of torach out of the s/b?

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Holden1669 View Post
    Sandoz + Sturtzilla,
    Thanks for the responses. That is the play that I chose as well due to the general wait-as-long-as-possible-to-cast-instants-etc guidelines under which I have always played magic. I sometimes don't know how much I should be playing around specific answers in Legacy, where there are so many answers to everything. I guess that will come with more experience with the format.
    You are quite welcome. It is a really diverse format; I am sure you will get the hang of it as you play. I hope it helped!

Quote Originally Posted by coastieleeb View Post
    For those people that are playing grave titan and sundering titan, what situations/decks do you bring those cards in? Also, what is everyone's opinion on hymn of torach out of the s/b?
    I have toyed around with Sundering Titan but haven't been running him lately. He is shines against decks that are running three or more colors. You can know your opponent off of multiple lands when he comes into play. In certain matches this can wreck your opponent so bad, you might be able to just win off of that.

Grave Titan is a bit of an conundrum to me. I am not sure if/when I would want him in play. Sure he makes you two little chumps but I am not sure if that really gets the job done against most decks. I would love to hear what how others are using this guy.

question, in a recent toureny i had a turn two Iona, my opponent had only a mountain and a grim lavamancer in play, what color would you name?

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

oops..! i was really tired yesterday sorry guys my question was completely wrong. We actually don't play any pro black at the moment. I was gonna say about shroud but messed it up. So they can be animated? Why? If i recall correctly animate dead re attaches it self to the creature when the creature comes into play but with shroud this cannot be done so imo the creature goes to gy in the end.

@FlyingSkull13 : Well... excluding a home brew deck where you are unable to know what he is playing there are , to my knowledge, two possible scenarios. First one is that he is playing zoo (but he played a basic mountain and a lavamancer? hmm...). The second one burn. If you name red you win the possible burn deck right away and you stop zoo's burn spells (hmm around 8?) allowing him to use only swords to plowshares/ path to exile and of course the rest of his deck. But most zoo deck lists contain only one mountain so the most probable scenario would be that its a burn deck. Still i wouldn't animate my Iona yet. I would wait and see what else he plays. Even if he plays a tarmogoyf next round, naming white shuts down almost his ENTIRE deck except mono green creatues and some burns which can be blocked by Iona easily ( he needs to have 2 burns and a blocked attacker to bring her down). This way you will have time to animate something else too and beat him. If its a burn deck then the worst scenario is him playing another mountain , attacking with lavamancer (1 dmg), casting 2 lightning bolts (6 dmg), sacrificing the two mountain for a fireblast (4 dmg) when you [cards]reanimate[cards] for a total of 11 dmg in your face but this is unlikely. Its a bit of a god hand for a burn deck but still possible. What reanimation spell did you have? If it was a reanimate then maybe i would name red and see what happens (whatever deck it is that you are dealing with has red in it and naming red is ok). If it was exhume/animate dead then you can easily wait for another turn (only for the first game against him of course).

@MirrorMask
    Some pages ago I talked about this. I also had the idea that I couldn't animate dead Inkwell because of shroud, until I started to play online and noticed a guy doing that. I was like "wtf??"... What happens it that Animate Dead targets inkwell when it is still in the graveyard, and there shroud has no effect. When Animate Dead enters into play the Animate Dead changes it's status but doesn't target, so it remains attached to Inkwell.

Here's the actual Oracle text for animate dead:

Enchant creature card in a graveyard
    When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Animate Dead to it. When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
    Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Ah.. i see. The oracle got me confused here. Made me think that it targets twice... :) Thanks of clearing it up dude. I did like more some older oracle change though, that stated that animate dead would just go to the gy leaving the creature with pro black or shroud ON the field WITHOUT taking the -1/-0 cause it never attached to it. LOL silly oracle... hehe

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingSkull13 View Post
    question, in a recent toureny i had a turn two Iona, my opponent had only a mountain and a grim lavamancer in play, what color would you name?
    This is a tough call. There are three major possibilities. NO RUG, Zoo, or Burn. I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that, if your opponent leads with a Mountain, then they are probably playing Burn. Both of those other decks, Zoo and NO RUG, would likely have played fetch into a dual or simply played a dual. However, in this case it might be wise since 2 points from a Lavamancer in trivial as long as you didn't/don't use reanimate, to wait a turn to see the next play, before committing to the reanimation. Against Zoo, you want to call white. This keeps path/swords from hitting your Iona. Against NO RUG I would probably say green. It shuts down Goyf, Noble Hierarch, Green Sun's Zenith, and the scary Natural Order. Lastly against Burn you better say red.

Quote Originally Posted by nastirth View Post
    Enchant creature card in a graveyard
    When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield, it loses "enchant creature card in a graveyard" and gains "enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead." Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Animate Dead to it. When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature's controller sacrifices it.
    Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.
    Thanks nastirth! The long and short of it is that it never actually targets the creature. Therefore shroud never comes into play, even when the shrouded creature changes zones.

i'm going to a tournament this sunday with the following list:

1 Iona
    3 jin&Tonic
    1 sphinx of the steel wind
    1 empyrial archangel
    1 Inkwell leviathan

7 creatures

4 ponder
    4 brainstorm
    4 mental misstep
    4 force of will
    3 daze
    4 careful study
    4 entomb
    3 reanimate
    4 exhume
    4 animate dead
    38 spells

9 fetch
    4 sea
    1 island
    1 swamp

SB:
    2 Iona (combo, landstill, reanimator)
    2 sphinx (zoo)
    1 blazing archon (dredge, goblins, merfolk)
    1 elesh norn (dredge, goblins, merfolk)
    4 pithing needle (graveyard hate)
    3 spell pierce (hive mind, landstill)
    2 chain of vapor (leyline.deck, artifact, jace).

Do you guy's have any pointers on how i can change the maindeck/sb. I'm currently happy by playing without the hapless researchers.

On the sb i have a lot of doubts. What do you normaly board out? The md is pretty tight.
    Team Nijmegen

Thread Information