Page 137 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 3594

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

So I just moved out to Cleveland to begin graduate school. This relocation led me to investigate the local card shops and attempt to locate an establishment which could satisfy my need to play LEGACY! Well after checking out a few shops in the area, I found Kidforce Collectibles located in nearby Berea, Ohio. According to their website, weekly LEGACY tournaments were held for a handful of individuals. Armed with this information, I headed out for the weekly tourney. There were probably about 12-18 players at this event. We played three rounds and prize was given out to the top 3 as per the standings.

Round 1-Merfolk

For any followers of the altered art forum here on The Source, I played against Yawg07 one of our resident alterers. He was a really cool guy and we had great conversation while playing our match. Also his trade binder was nuts due to some of his awesome work.

Game 1: I take a few early points from a Cursecatcher and Mutavault, but stabilize and land a turn 3 Jin. The Jin quickly digs me into a Blazing Archon. At this we move to game 2.

Game 2: I have a turn two Jin or Sphinx off of a Hapless Researcher in my opener; however, a Relic of Progenitus sticks on his side after a counter war and I flounder until he fishes me out (Note: I failed to draw a Stifle to go though with that line of play).

Game 3: I kept an iffy opener with 4 land, Brainstorm, Reanimate, Careful Study. The Brainstorm got me into business, but he topdecked a Relic which kept me from getting anywhere. I just didn't have the counter resources.

0-1:1-2

Round 2-Team Itilia

Game 1: I draw the nuts this game. He lays land and tries for Figure of Destiny to which I toss a Misstep. I play fetch, go. He plays a second land and tries for a Dark Confidant. I respond by cracking the fetch, finding a Undergound Sea, tapping for Black, and Dazing the Confidant. He passes turn, but I use the black to Entomb a Jin. Turn 2 I lay a second land and Animate Dead for Jin. He is tapped out and I get a full grip with a Sphinx going to the bin. He Lightning Bolts me during his turn and discards his hand. He scoops after Sphinx comes to help Jin.

Game 2: This one was just a lapse of judgement on my part. I should have pitched this hand back and gotten a better six. I have no business and thumb my asshole, while Figure and burn make short work of my life total.

Game 3: This game I have business! I have a turn two Elesh! I go to 9 due to either fetches or Noble Hierarch pokes (not completely sure... my notes have three -1s) but he had no board presence. He must not have had burn either because I finished this game at 9. I later reanimate a nuked Figure to quicken the clock. I love paying one life for a 3/3... seems good.

1-1:3-3

Round 3-NO RUG

Game 1: I have a pretty solid opener: 3 Land, Entomb, Reanimate, Exhume, MM. I Entomb Jin at the end of his first turn, as I am on the play. He thinks for a good bit, which broadcasts that he has either MM or FoW... or both (foreshadowing... he does have both). I try for Reanimate and it gets Missteped. He lands some dorks. I attempt again with my Exhume, but my Exhume meets FoW. I die to dork beats and failure to draw an third reanimation spell.

Game 2: I We both get off to slow starts due to mulligans (I went to 5 and he went to 6) and counters flying everywhere, keeping the board clean. I manage to stick Jin on turn 4. I follow Jin with an Elesh which clears away a Nobel Hierarch and Bird of Paradise. He bins his hand and we move to game 3.

Game 3: I Reanimate a quick Jin on turn 3 (even after being Cliqued), which forces my opponent to discard a Goyf, Clique #2, and a Dryad Arbor. This became problematic during my next turn as I was face a three turn clock in the air due to the Clique. I caught a nice break by drawing and EOT discarding a Sphinx. This answered the clock and the air threat. On my turn 4, I take probably longer than I should have for this play (as it was pretty straight forward and awesome). I cast Animate Dead targeting his goyf and then followed that with an Exhume. I got back my Sphinx and he choose to get the Dryad Arbor... awesome power swing in my favor. He top decks a Lightning Bolt but being at 8 life, I had enough time to get in with Sphinx and lock the match up.

2-1:5-4

By another fortunate stroke of luck, I end 2nd overall. Yawg07 won the event. It was a $5 dollar buy in and I received $15 of store credit for my efforts. I used it to get a foil Tendrils of Agony and a foil Empty the Warrens for TES. I also managed to haggle in a large (the apple sized kind) spindown die to appease the girlfriend, since I told her I would get her a d20 at some point (she was really surprised at its size, when I got home) and also to use as a storm counter at the additional cost of a Blazing Archon out of my binder. All in all it was a great time. I had a great time playing LEGACY at a local venue, met some cool and skilled players, and placed in some money at the end of the day. Thanks for reading!

Dec 2010

Well this was a double post, so I figure I could just turn it into my post tourney thoughts. I didn't see any Hive Mind at this store so I will probably be taking the Flusterstorms out of the board and maybe throwing a 3rd Stifle into the board. I am not sure what I want to do with that last slot though. I am still toying around with changing the maindeck Inkwell to a 4th Jin. Although Inkwell seems like he could be pretty good against NO RUG. I mean it could probably win that race, but ultimately Jin is probably just better. I am still considering the Angel of Despair idea as well. I did have a few really bad hands. I think that would be an artifact of poor shuffling/cutting, bad luck, or and me not mulliganing like I should have been. Again thanks for reading.

Props
    Kidforce Collectibles for having weekly LEGACY!

Yawg07 for kicking my ass.

Jin for still wining games.

Reanimate/Animate Dead for stealing opponent's creatures.

Slops
    Me for not being ballsy enough to pitch back a few hands.

One last thing, I finally got around to posting the tournament report for the SCG Legacy Challenge, the event the day before the Open. The report is post #2664 in this tread. If you want to read some more fun reanimator antics, check it out!
    Last edited by Sturtzilla; 08-18-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Jun 2008
    London

Can I toss out an idea without attracting too much flame? ;-)

I used to play reaminator when mystical tutor was legal, but have found it subject to too much variance without it (although the raw power is still plainly there). What is needed are entombs 5 - 8, or tutors for them.

One option that I have been toying with is intuition. Not only can this search up entombs, animation spells or disruption, but by adding a single gigapede you can use it to directly entomb even the one-offs in the deck (eot intuition for two one offs and gigapede, next upkeep swap the gigapede for whatever they put in hand). The result is, therefore, almost a double entomb. For example you can intuition for gigapede and jin or iona + say sphinx, animate the first target and have sphinx (or whatever you most need) ready in the graveyard.

The increased tutoring capacity means that I am comfortable running only 2 Jin, and have cut back on careful study, where the card disadvantage can be mildly problematic, especially in multiples. Also if your one off animation target is stuck in your hand, with no way to get rid of it, entomb for gigapede allows you to (indirectly) put it into you 'yard.

The down side is that intuition is slow, at least as measured by the metric of this deck, with the result that I am running lotus petals again.

At present my build is as follows, but is far from set in stone:

4 Force of Will
    4 MM
    3 Daze

4 Brainstorm
    4 Intuition

4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Animate Dead
    2 Careful study

2 Jin
    1 Iona
    1 Spinx
    1 Gigapede
    1 Empyrial Archangel
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

3 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Island
    2 Swamp
    3 Verdant Catacomb
    3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Lotus Petal

As soon as Mystical Tutor was banned, Reanimator players were considering cards to replace it. Intution was one of the options (along with Lim-Dul's Vault and Personal Tutor), but it never panned out. The consensus was that three mana was too slow for this kind of deck.

Reanimator has made a bit of a comeback since the printing of Jin and Mental Misstep. Decks that have top-8ed at major events (such as the recent Reanimator list from SCG Boston http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=40485) forgo tutors and mana aceleration and just run the usual stuff.
    I see more than others do because I know where to look.

Intuition isn't good here. You'd have to adapt to playing city of traitors and/or ancient tombs to effectively utilize intuition but that weakens the manabase a considerable amount and it isn't worth it.

LDV is also terrible with reanimate. It is also too slow for the deck.

Personal tutor is horrid since it only gets reanimation spells but not a way to pitch creatures. If entomb were a sorcery personal tutor would be the bee's knee's but it isn't both fortunately and unfortunately (EoT entomb is quite powerful).

The current lists are fine IMO. You have at least 8 ways to get creatures in the bin in careful study and entomb and then you have great dig and protection for the combo. Finding reanimation spells isn't hard when you run at least 8.

But yeah, Jin-Gitaxias and misstep revived this deck IMO. Jin is just unfair; when you draw 7 cards at the end of your turn you usually have the game locked up. Misstep protects your dudes and helps with counterwars obviously since misstep hits misstep.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Dec 2010

I do think the Intuition-Gigapede idea is cool; however, the problem is, that unless you are playing against a slower combo deck or some form of control, you will be under pressure too fast for the combo to matter. We have considered many options here, but ultimately the current lists seem to be the way to go. The major debate at present is Library Manipulation versus Moar Business. More specifically, should you play 6-8 Brainstorm and Ponder effects or should you play extra copies of reanimate effects and binning spells? Honestly, I think both routes preform well. The notable differences would be that playing more business generally lets you go for the reanimation attempt faster, while the library manipulation route lets you recover from lost counter wars or hand disruption better. Those have been my observations from testing builds across the build spectrum. My opinion would be that somewhere in the middle is the way to go to ensure both speed and consistency.

Mental Misstep has really allowed us to run a more diverse creature package and consistently keep our guys alive. Moreover, this card has let us move away from subpar creatures with shroud in favor of scarier guys like Jin that previously would have been considered un-runnable due to his lack of protection. Dark Ritual is right on, these two cards have really revitalized this deck.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

Hi again guys. I just played today with a u/b/w wizard deck and i want to share my experience and thoughts on the game.

First of all don't laugh at the wizard deck; this guy has after a quite bit of time managed to make it a threat from the fun-only deck it was.
    Here is his playlist as i remember it :

Creatures(20)

4xdark confidant
    3xVoidmage Prodigy
    4xpatron wizard
    3xStonybrook Schoolmaster
    3xtrinket mage
    3xmeddling mage

spells

3xaether vial
    4xswords to plowshares
    4xgo for the throat
    2xvindicate
    2xchrome mox
    1xengineered explosives
    1xmeekstone (he didn't have it this time but he should have, had 2nd top)
    1xsensei's divining top
    3xopposition

lands
    I can't recall but the usual i guess. Fetches and friends.

Sideboard
    4xduress
    2xrelic of progenitus
    2xtormod's crypt
    1xengineered explosives
    plus other irrelevant stuff

My deck is Sturtzilla's first on the list but with an extra card MD (so 61), which is misdirection and a tropical island for the krosan grips in the SB.
    My creatures are :
    1xinkwel leviathan
    1xempyrial archangel
    1xiona shield of emeria
    3xjin gitaxias
    2xsphinx of the steel wind
    3xhapless researcher
    the rest stuff is the aforementioned.

My sideboard is:
    2xshow and tell
    2xmisdirection
    4xstifle
    1xiona
    1xstromtide leviathan
    1xblazing archon
    1xelesh norn
    2xkrosan grip
    1xechoing truth

The win ratio was 50/50 maybe due to the bad luck i had in the first few games but one thing in my opponent's deck made it very scary. Being able to TUTOR for the graveyard hate made it hard for me and pressed me to drop a fatty ASAP. There were many times that he had DOUBLE hate on the field which was an auto loss. What i boarded in most games were the stifles plus show and tells removing some of the counters and haplesses. I have found that having to do the whole combo+stifle on the SAME turn to prevent him from activating the hate and to be able to race him immediately is a bit problematic. I could have just used entomb+stifle first and then animate but he was pretty quick to lock me out after the delay. His duresses were highly irrelevant. Only one time he managed to used them but he had already won anyway.

So my thought was if we were better off with pithing needle instead of stifle. I have found them a bit demanding in terms of combined mana with the rest combo while the needles are permanent in their effect and can used when you have a spare mana.
    And one final note. If he had used that meekstone instead of the second sensei's divining top what would have happened if not countered? He could have locked all of my fatties out of the game except sphinx. A bad scenario. Some would argue that meekstones aren't played at all but if you take a close look at the meta (at least at my meta)
    you can see a lot of high powered weenies (tarmogoyfs, knights of the reliquary, toobstalkers, nimbe mogoses, goblin piledrivers etc...)

What do you guys think?

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorMask View Post
    The win ratio was 50/50 maybe due to the bad luck i had in the first few games but one thing in my opponent's deck made it very scary. Being able to TUTOR for the graveyard hate made it hard for me and pressed me to drop a fatty ASAP. There were many times that he had DOUBLE hate on the field which was an auto loss.
    Well with a deck that has as much potential to counter your key spells in addition to maindeck, tutorable graveyard hate should have a decent match up against us. I don't think that double graveyard hate is necessarily an auto loss. It is definitely tough to play through and you have to hit the right cards, but it can be done with a little skill and a good amount of luck. At any rate it seems like a pretty neat deck your friend was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by MirrorMask View Post
    So my thought was if we were better off with pithing needle instead of stifle. I have found them a bit demanding in terms of combined mana with the rest combo while the needles are permanent in their effect and can used when you have a spare mana.
    Pithing Needle is a great card to fight against both Relic and Crypt, but it fails to save us versus Maccabe. I haven't really had problems generating 2-3 mana to cast a Stifle in addition to a Reanimate/Exhume/Animate Dead. If you haven't been real pleased with it, maybe try out the Spell Pierce idea. You have to play a bit more of a controlling role as opposed to Stifle. You also get the benefit of having a better counter in some match-ups post board. I have been liking Stifle but who knows maybe i will give Piece a whirl here in the next few tournaments.

Aug 2010
    Colorado, bitches!

This deck is officially on my radar. Put a list together and did some playtesting with the locals. I was ranching just about every deck. Here's the list I played and some commentary:

4 Polluted Delta
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Underground Sea
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    1 Urborg

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    2 Daze

4 Brainstorm

4 Careful Study
    4 Entomb
    3 Hapless Researcher

4 Exhume
    3 Reanimate
    3 Animate Dead

3 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Sphinx of the steelwind
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Empyrial Archangel

Remarks:

1) Inkwell was absolute shit in about every game I played. I can see it as a SB card vs. MUC, but it's getting cut ASAP. Jin #4 replaces him, as he's blue and pitches to FoW.

2) I'm not sure on archon vs. elesh. I think I want to run both and see which one I like better (or maybe replace archangel with archon?) Elesh was usualy enough, but I dropped a game to merfolk having trips lord.

3) I want more daze, but can't find a cut

4) 17 mana sources seemed greedy, I want 1 ponder or the 18th mana source. Maybe a hapless researcher gets cut.

Aug 2011
    Minneapolis

I apologize in advance for asking this if it is redundant, but could somebody help me out with sideboarding with Reanimator? Tonight I played my first Legacy tournament with the deck and just couldn't quite figure out what to bring in/out with each matchup.

I am playing something similar to Rob Castellon's list from the last SCG Open (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=40485)

I understand when each creature should be played (Iona for Elves, etc etc), but I can't really figure out what/when to side the S&T package, and what to take out. I found myself siding out:

-3 Reanimate Effects (I can't figure out if it should differ between decks or if I should just be cutting like one of each (ie: Aggro = side out all Reanimate, Combo side out all Animate Dead).
    -1 Ponder
    -1 Careful Study
    -2 Creatures to make them Relevant (Should all Jin-Gitaxis stay in?)

+2 Pithing Needle
    +2 Echoing Truth
    +1 Show and Tell

I felt like I could easily stomp everybody G1 tonight, but I really lacked confidence in my ability to correctly sideboard and was frequently stuck in G2/G3 with lopsided draws/etc.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for reading all this :\

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

I ve been having the same problem. Everything seems very tight. What i did to the match up I analyzed was siding in 2 show and tell and 2 misdirection (for a total of 3). I should probably have siding in some stifles instead but i got really pissed off with them in the previous games. I sided out 2xdaze , 1xhapless and 1xiona (which sucks against 3 colored weenie decks-except zoo anyway). Against other decks which give you time might be ok to side out reanimation. I didn't have much time to reach the 3 mana threshold so it wasn't a stable option. Besides, you are running many brainstorm like effects so siding in even 4 show and tell might be a good thing. you can find them way easier than me and you can also find missing lands. And one last note. Inkwell leviathan isn't bad. Maybe in you meta there aren't many removals but in mine there are plenty. This guy really shines and laughs in their face ( as well as empyrial archangel). I wouldn't suggest removing him unless you are absolutely certain you won't face excessive removal as well. If , for example, i had reanimated any other fatty except inky i would be smashed most of the time. This guy was running 10 removal + 8 grave hate + 3 opposition. I did have counters but couldn't counter his whole deck could i?

Quote Originally Posted by zrbrt View Post
    I apologize in advance for asking this if it is redundant, but could somebody help me out with sideboarding with Reanimator? Tonight I played my first Legacy tournament with the deck and just couldn't quite figure out what to bring in/out with each matchup.

I am playing something similar to Rob Castellon's list from the last SCG Open (http://sales.starcitygames.com//deck...p?DeckID=40485)

I understand when each creature should be played (Iona for Elves, etc etc), but I can't really figure out what/when to side the S&T package, and what to take out. I found myself siding out:

-3 Reanimate Effects (I can't figure out if it should differ between decks or if I should just be cutting like one of each (ie: Aggro = side out all Reanimate, Combo side out all Animate Dead).
    -1 Ponder
    -1 Careful Study
    -2 Creatures to make them Relevant (Should all Jin-Gitaxis stay in?)

+2 Pithing Needle
    +2 Echoing Truth
    +1 Show and Tell

I felt like I could easily stomp everybody G1 tonight, but I really lacked confidence in my ability to correctly sideboard and was frequently stuck in G2/G3 with lopsided draws/etc.

Am I on the right track? Thanks for reading all this :\
    There are 2 parts in sideboarding :
    - Switching creatures
    - Fighting expected hate

As far as I understand your problem is about part 2 which is the most difficult. Here are some tips :

1) I run 2 kinds of cards to fight hate : Pithing Needle and Show and tell. I usually side in one plan or the other but not both of them.
    There are 3 reasons for that :
    - The more you board in this kind of card (anti-hate) the more you dillute you combo and the less you're consistent and explosive. Keep in mind Reanimator has to be fast to be effective (this is the main difference with other combo decks such as High Tide, Hive Mind, Doomsday. Btw this is a reason why Ponder doesn't shine as in thoses kind). Show and Tell is good because it is both an answer and a combo piece (counts as discard + reanimate) but it is "slow".
    - Mental misstep hits Relic of progenitus, Exhume + Entomb (with a creature already in graveyard) dodges graveyard hate : you already have anti-hate cards MD.
    - Pithing needle and Show and Tell don't serve the same purpose :
    * Pithing needle allows you to be faster than Show and tell and deal with non-hate but problematic cards such as Knight of the reliquary, Jace, Karakas. It also hits Aether Vial and Stoneforge mystic
    * Show and Tell is slower but allows to fight any kind of graveyard hate (extirpate, faerie macabre, leyline of the void)

2) Pithing needle plan
    - Against any knight of the reliquary.deck, any fast deck (zoo, sligh) and/or Vial.deck
    - On the draw : +3 Needle +3 Thoughtseize, -2 Hapless (I'm running 3 MD but you can draw-discard on the draw) -1 Reanimate effect, -3 Daze. I usually board out Exhume as I dislike not countering an annoying creature because my reanimate spell is Exhume
    - On the play : +3 Needle, -1 Hapless - 1 Creature, -1 Reanimate effect

3) Show and Tell plan
    - Against anything threats-light not running knight of the reliquary, emrakul or progenitus (or any other fatty). Show and Tell is more or less an auto include against anything playing Black (even if it runs knight of the reliquary)
    - On the draw : +3 Show and Tell, +4 Thoughtseize, +1 Brainstorm (I run 3 MD), -3 Hapless Researcher, -3 Reanimate effects (usually 3 exhume or 2 exhume + 1 reanimate), -2 Daze
    - On the play : +3 Show and Tell, +4 Thoughtseize, +1 Brainstorm (I run 3 MD), -3 Hapless Researcher, -3 Reanimate effects (usually 3 exhume), -2 Daze

4) Keep in mind these are general tips, you should modify them given what you saw in G1 and then in G2. But don't remove too many creatures, especially on the draw.

5) Others thoughts :
    - Vendilion clique is quite appealing : people will usually mulligan agressively to find their leyline (if they run some). Having in 1 card something which applies pressure, disrupts and cycles your own "jank" cards seems very good. Especially against BUG as Alex stated.
    - On the contrary I'm not a huge fan of Stifle on paper (but I will try it) for some reasons :
    * It requires 1 more mana in your big turn (makes your exposure to Daze bigger)
    * It is a 1-time effect against Knight, Jace, Karakas where Pihting needle is permanent
    * You have a probabilty to lose too many ressources : you always play stifle in reaction to tormod's / relic activation which is a reaction to a Reanimation spell on your side. Thus, if your stifle gets countered (something one can expect since Mental misstep hits it) you lose your reanimation spell
    * Thoughtseize should deal with Faerie macabre (in addition to deal with extirpate)

6) For reference, my SB :
    - 3 Pithing Needle
    - 4 Thoughtseize
    - 3 Show and Tell
    - 1 Brainstorm
    - 4 Creatures (Iona, Archon, Sphinx, Terastodon)

Sidenote : congratz to both of you Sturtzilla and Alex for your results! :)

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

anybody splashed green, say for Nature's Claim, Krosan Grip

heck, I was even Considering 4 x Show and Tell together with Wordly Tutor :D

since cards didnt work, lol ;

http://www.blackborder.com/cgi-bin/p...sid=IUTYbKymgp

Jun 2008
    London

Hi Guys - rather belatedly, thanks for the helpful comments re my above post.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

krosan grip is ok against countertop but other than that 3 mana is expensive. I have tried nature's claim even reverent silence ( we have an enchantress in the tournament and they were nice cards against him but before jin gitaxias was printed ). But in the end, nature's claim only targets tormod's , relic and the occasional layline of the void in this meta while pithing needle and stifle kick some serious ass at the time being, so i wouldn't advise you to use claim at all except if for some strange reason the aforementioned do not work. If you want to destroy leylines then just use echoing truth or chain of vapor. Its almost the same as destroying them.

Dec 2008
    Nijmegen

I also have some trouble's with my sideboard. I'm pretty sure that these cards are in there for 100%:

4 Chain of Vapor
    2 Sphinx of the Steelwind (playing 1 mainboard)
    2 Iona, Shield of Emeria (playing 1 mainboard)
    2 Null Rod

Isn't the best card against an unknown hate, Chain of Vapor?

If he runs Extirpate/Surgical Extraction that Chain of Vapor can still be very important to bounce multiple creatures to win the race.
    Chain of Vapor bounces Relic's, Crypt's, Leyline's, Scaveging Ooze and the what not, before you actually cast Entomb or Careful Study.
    Sphinx are boarded against Zoo, Dark Tempo Threshold, Team America etc.
    Iona against the mono-coloured decks.
    Null rod can be boarded against decks that cludge artifacts such as Affinity, but also decks that potentially play Relic + Crypt and Thopter/Sword of the Meek.

I think the rest is pretty open. What would you want to play in the open space? Do you think my assumptions are right?
    Team Nijmegen

Robbert Slavenburg
    DCI: 2069307189

I must strongly disagree with playing Chain of Vapor in reanimator. When you have a creature on the board, you can't use CoV because opponent will sac a land and bounce your dude with it.
    You wrote that againist Extirpate, you can bounce multiple creatures to win the race, I don't see how is it possible.
    Overloading your SB with redundant creatures (I see that in certain MU's you want to switch from Jin-plan to Iona/Sphinx plan, but this deck is designed to take advantage of early Jin, which either locks the game or just sets up further reanimation) is not the best thing you can do. See Garobidou's example sideboard few posts above.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2011

yes. swordfish is correct. You shouldn't use COV. I used too for a bit but its sucks compared to needle,null rod and stifle. If you want to bounce stuff then echoing truth is very good. Null rod takes care of relic and crypt. Why not using some stifles as well for macabre? But in any case judging from my meta (always) rod isn't good at all. No one runs artifact to shut down so needle is always better and cheaper. (it also shuts down EVERY activated ability that matters to us)

Dec 2008
    Nijmegen

Your chains would mainly be used to bounce graveyard hate the turn before you entomb --> Reanimate/Animate Dead/Exhume.

There is a possibility of bouncing (F.E.) a Knight of the Reliquary when u have an Inkwell Leviathan on the table.

There are certain matchups where Iona and Sphinx are plain better and less risky than Jin & Tonic.

I'd like to take the risk of Faerie Macabre. To my knowledge, that card hasn't seen any play since Survival got banned - in any serious metagame -.
    Team Nijmegen

Robbert Slavenburg
    DCI: 2069307189

Dec 2010

Chain of Vapor is not really worth the risk of losing any creature other than an Inkwell Leviathan. The way the meta seems to have shifted, as of late, has made Inkwell a subpar target more often than not. So it is quite possible that many people wouldn't even be able to make the play you list above. The fact of the matter is, Chain of Vapor is a dead card after you have a guy on the board. Sure it is cheaper, in a mana sense, than Echoing Truth, but the probability, or even possibility, that you will not be able to cast it or that you top deck it after having a guy in play, makes it a poor choice for this deck. I try not to sideboard in cards that will become potentially dead as part of my main game plan.

Faerie Macabre, has fallen off a bit in terms of how much play it is seeing, but this is absolutely a player preference issue. Ultimately, it works just as well at stopping our plan as Relic or Crypt. I would argue that it is more devastating and overall probably a better pick, as you don't telegraph your play to your opponent. When a Macabre removes your dude, you are already casting your reanimation spell. This means it basically 3 (in the case of only one creature target in the yard [you have spent the a discard effect, binned a creature, and played a reanimation spell]) or 4 (if there are two valid creature targets in the graveyard) for ones you in terms of card advantage and tempo. It is tough to deal with as you can't counter it and you don't get a chance to line up any graveyard hate baiting strategy. Against Relic or Tormod's you generally have a few turns to set up some form of baiting scenario, in which you end up on top.

As for the green splash, this has been discussed a few times over the course of this forum. Green can give us Krosan Grip and Xantid Swarm, which can be really great additions. However, splashing for these raises two issues in my mind. The first issue is the destabilization of the mana base. By running an additional color, you decrease the chance that you will always or consistently have the colors you need to make the plays you want to make. As a corollary, by running three colors, you will in some situations create poor fetching decisions for yourself. What dual land to choose becomes very important and can be bad as you need green to casr Xantid but you also need black and blue to actually forward the game plan. The second issue that I would like to bring up is slowing down the clock. In the ideal line of play, you could play a turn one Xantid Swarm, then a turn two attack, then use a discard effect (Entomb or Careful Study) followed by a Reanimate. However if you don't want to lose life and also still land Xantid Swarm, you basically have to wait until turn three (this is a turn slower than and turn one Entomb/Careful Study into a turn two Exhume/Animate Dead). Now turn three dudes, are not bad, but the faster the guy lands in play the bigger the impact will be. I think running the third color destabilizes the mana base, could potential make straight forward decisions much more complex, and also really doesn't add that much to the deck. The counter magic or redundancy that we have access to within the original colors give you the same security as Xantid Swarm can give you and generally don't become dead draws after turn one or two.

Thread Information