Page 138 of 180 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,760 of 3594

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

how about nature's claim, 1 single mana 4 life to destroy artifact/enchantment

My cat's name is Tarmogoyf!
    Dec 2010
    Franklin, PA; Cleveland, OH

Quote Originally Posted by jcsy View Post
    how about nature's claim, 1 single mana 4 life to destroy artifact/enchantment
    Seems bad for a deck that doesn't always run green. I wouldn't just splash a few green producing lands for the potential to run green artifact/enchantment removal in the board. I think both Stifle, Spell Pierce, and Pithing Needle are better options than either Nature's Claim and Krosan Grip. That is my opinion.

I have a question, should I run 3 or 4 Jin-Gitaxias?

Thanks ;)

EDH | Legacy
    Jul 2010
    Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post

Thanks ;)
    ive tried 4, and tried 3

4 sometimes do seem overkill, and repeated

3 is just the right amount, well at least for me :)

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Grave View Post

Thanks ;)
    I have been looking at this issue. I have made the switch of a singleton Inkwell to the 4th Jin in my build. I am not sure how well I like it at the moment, as I have not really done much real testing. I have done a small amount of play testing online and played a few guys at the local store. It seems to be running pretty well; however, I am not sure if there is a better target to be using in that slot. I will let you all know what come to in my testing. I will say that it seems that either a 3 or 4-off configuration seems to work pretty well.

Thank you for the sideboarding insight Garobidou. I am admittedly pretty bad at sideboarding with Reanimator, as I feel that I am always taking away some of the deck’s fluidity when I side stuff out, but the Pithing Needle or Show and Tell plan seems like a good formula to deal with hate while maintaining the deck’s focus on getting an early monster out. I have a couple of questions though. What is your rationale for bringing in Thoughtseizes? I see that you almost always bring them in (except on the play against “Pithing Needle decks”). I know you said it hits Faerie Macabre, which is a great plus, but I hardly ever see that being played. Also, have you considered using either Spell Pierce or Dispel? I have seen a couple of decks run three of one or the other in their sideboards, and I assume they are for winning counterwars, but using them seems to be a little excessive when coupled with Thoughtseizes and either Needles or Show and Tells.

As far as the green splash discussion, I would recommend against it these days. I used to run green namely for Grip back in the days when Counterbalance was wrecking havoc, but those days seem to have passed, and any benefit of having Grips and Nature’s Claims seems to be outweighed by the dangers of a less stable manabase. Stuartzilla hit the nail on the head; the deck has a pretty solid manabase as is, so there is no need to get greedy and make poor decisions when fetching. I would still use the green splash over blue bounce spells, however. I tried Chain of Vapors and Echoing Truths before, and found that a temporary bounce would only give me a one-turn window if there weren’t more than one different hate piece already in play. If the opponent is running counterspells, you are in even more trouble.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Went 2-2 last night in a Legacy weekly, beating Loam Control 2-0 and Dredge 2-0, and losing to Merfolk 1-2 and Esper America 1-2 (in one of the closest and most exciting matches I've played in over a year, actually). Inkwell main won a game for me against Merfolk, but Elesh Norn would have been just as good in that situation. Even though I really feel that, in principle, there should be a creature with shroud in the main, I'm thinking I might be better off relegating Inky to the board as many others have in recent times, especially with the advent of Batterskull significantly weakening it against blue. God, I hate that card.
    Find enlightenment for just $29.99!

Quote Originally Posted by into_play View Post
    I tried Chain of Vapors and Echoing Truths before, and found that a temporary bounce would only give me a one-turn window if there weren’t more than one different hate piece already in play. If the opponent is running counterspells, you are in even more trouble.
    But, bounce is the only way to deal with enchantments like Leyline and the like.

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by into_play View Post
    I tried Chain of Vapors and Echoing Truths before, and found that a temporary bounce would only give me a one-turn window if there weren’t more than one different hate piece already in play. If the opponent is running counterspells, you are in even more trouble.
    What is the problem with this? You only need 2-3 mana (1-2 if Hapless Researcher in on your side of the board already) to pull off a one turn turn binning and reanimation. You only need to play a bounce spell at the end of their turn and then potentially Entomb (if you have 2-3 mana available [depending on the bounce you are running]). Follow it up with a reanimation spell. Or bounce at EOT and then Entomb/Careful Study/Hapless Researcher into a reanimation attempt (on your third turn). If played correctly and with a small bit of luck, you can still have a dude on turn 3 versus a Leyline. Your opponent running counter magic is irrelevant (most decks do these days). We should have counter magic to protect the combo to combat their counter spells and all of our counter magic is free. That is one of the great perks of playing this deck, going balls deep, but still having protection!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandoz View Post
    But, bounce is the only way to deal with enchantments like Leyline and the like.
    I agree. I don't run the deck without 2 Echoing Truth in the board to deal with this issue. Again, Echoing Truth is the right bounce spell as it does not become a dead card post reanimation (I am alluding to you Chain of Vapor).

I like Tacos.
    Jan 2006
    Traverse City, MI

I played last night in the local tournament and choose this to play around with. It's a standard list from one of the SCG tournaments.

1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
    1 Empyrial Archangel
    1 Terastodon
    3 Animate Dead
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze
    4 Entomb
    4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    3 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    4 Careful Study
    4 Exhume
    2 Ponder
    4 Reanimate
    2 Island
    2 Swamp
    2 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Underground Sea
    1 Watery Grave

I have to admit I was impressed, though I hated some of the choices in this deck. Jin Gitaxias is a frigging bomb. I never thought he would actually go that well in here. I've played reanimators before for a long time and had the blinders on to him. Sure, that ability is awesome, but he's sooo small. lol Got the eyes opened trying him out for laughs. Yeah, he's a keeper as a three of for sure. I see why people can't decide on how many to use. You want 3 and 1/2 of him. You almost always want him early to refill after depleting the opponents answers and then want his buddies.

Anyway, I have a new deck to love.

I had to make some changes though to that standard list.

Watery Grave needs to go. There's no reason for that land in there. Also, given the incredible weakness to edict effects, I changed the fetches to green ones so that Watery Grave became a Tropical and a Dryad Arbor went in the board.

The tropical was added to accommodate a singleton Mimeoplasm. I kept finding myself in situations where I'd be low against No Rug in life due to Goys so I needed an out to them. Angel was the usual out due to her shroud, but she's too small to take really large hits like the Goyfs and bolts all at once. Mimeoplasm took care of that. He's a reanimate spell you can hard cast that makes whatever huge thing you need. At the worst, you hit their grave and get a fattie. At the best you get a flying shroud monstrosity that takes all the damage for you. Not much for testing on it, but it sounds pretty good so far. Considering that was my only problem I seemed to run into, I can live with an odd fix. It was nice having an out to Progenitus that didn't require bouncing or something. Just making a guy that's bigger and can suck up the damage works fine.

I found it funny that I did one thing before the tournament on accident that people agreed here with. That original list used a Chain of Vapor. Chain is nice in storm, but not so great in a Reanimator. It's nice to have outs to Chalice, but I changed it out for the Echoing Truth right off the bat. I'd rather have that.

I couldn't find my Steel Wind Sphinx so I just moved Elesh Norn to the main. I loved her. Kills stupid crap all day. Stoneforges, Confidants, Lavamancers, Steppe lynxs, and lowers Goyfs enough to not be so deadly in counter swings. I loved her main. She stays.

I also added a random Hibernation to the board. You really need it vs those No rugs. They are quick sometimes and can power out projo that can race you. It's not a bad match up, but it's a nice safety valve for them to make sure they don't just luck out.

Here's what I played against.

Stoneblade BW ver - Seems to be a beating against that. Jin just runs away with it and misstep keeps swords from ruining the day. Elesh makes sure nothing gets a sword on it. He even saw all 4 Vindicates one game. Elesh is pretty good vs Bitterblossom I hear. That didn't happen, but I realized there's not any creatures out of that deck aside from a couple of Jotun Grunts that can survive Elesh.

Enchantress - Terastodon kind of does a number on them. It's nice not having to punch through counters. Just hit the lands and go. I even manscrewed myself one game just to not let them have all the elephants. Jin just makes sure nothing is going to stop the Terastodon once he comes out. I kind of wish I had an Eldrazi or something with annihilate though, he seemed like he might be able to break through and drop something like Moat or something at some points. Jin kills Solitary which is an interesting interaction.

No Rug - Fun match. My only loss of the day was having him dump his Jace and a relic off Jin while I had creature, and Enchantment in addition to that normal stuff pumping an early goyf up too much to get through. I took two games, but it was close.

BW Stoneblade again - About the same as before. Batterskull can be a pain though. Not much killing that thing once they get three mana open. Jin off Show and Tell runs away with it though despite the Leyline of the Void on the table.

No rug - an awesome game. Game 1 had the god hand. Turn 2 Jin. Game 2 ended with a progo and Heirarch on the table. I had to force a goyf and reanimate Sheodred. I took one hit from projo, then reanimated Elesh to kill the Heirarch. Projo died to Sheodred.

Zoo - Missteped early Nacatyl with 1 misstep in reserve. Jin runs away with it. Game 2 brought out early Iona naming white and she holds off the critters until Elesh comes out. And that was everyone. Ending with an impressive 12-1-0 record overall.

Not a large pot, but not drawing in any game is always ok. Especially, since we have a pretty good meta here. It's nice playing against good decks every round.

today i've played a 42 players tournament in rome, winning. my list is not different from the others, except for the creatures i play...

9 fetch
    4 u sea
    2 island
    2 swamp
    2 hapless
    3 jin
    1 iona
    1 elesh (mvp)
    1 terastodon
    1 archon
    1 sphynx
    4 brain
    4 careful
    4 will
    4misstep
    4 daze
    4 exhume
    4 reanimate
    2 animate
    4 entomb

side
    3 seize
    3 fluster
    4 s&t
    2 rod
    3 stifle

elesh MD its so powerful... i dont know why many players dont play it MD... its quite a GG against rug, dredge,goblin, merfolk... and terastodon MD its another big cow, very usefull

6 rounds

1 Mono white 2-1
    first i lost cause bad draws... second and third iona naming white its gg

2 dredge 2-1
    first mull to 4 and lost xd... 2 and 3 elesh on second turn xd

3 stoneblade UWB 2-1
    first lost by a long counterwar... 2 win by a terastodon that destroyed his jitte and 3 archont and gitaxian after i stiffled his karakas twice

4 reanimator 2-0
    first win by triple daze and triple misstep... second iona naming black on second turn

5-6 round ID

top8 No rug 2-1
    he was a pro player. first i lose cause he did 4 misstep , 2 will and 2 daze xd second i win by a sphynx after a long counterwar ( thanks so much,flusterstorm xd).. third i won after a long counterwar, a seize reveals a jace and i put elesh which desttroyed a vendiliona, a hierarch and an arbor... very very powerful, elesh MD

top4 enchantress 2-0

jin gitaxias on turn 2, twice, protected by a will xd

Top2 i splitted with him and i won 2 byes for the biggest tournament in italy...

stifle SB its so powerful... its the only answer to karakas
    elesh MD its the most important creature after jin
    terastodon MD its so huge against stoneblade

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Frappa, I completely agree with you about Elesh: she should be Main Deck right now.
    I play a build sliglty different from yours, without Brainstorm but with more creatures and 2 Lim-Dul's Vault. I'm not a fan of Brainstorm in this deck because:
    - it slows the deck (our cows loose value during time so they should be landed asap)
    - most times it doesn't find what we need. We all know that this deck need tutor, and without Mystical I found myself content with LDV and increasing the treat density

I'm also from Italy and I think that reanimator right now is one of the best deck in our meta. The only change I would make to your side is
    -2 null rod, +2 pithing needle: since you already have stifle for tormods' and relics pithing should help you against karakas too
    -2 S&T (or -1 seize -1 Flusterstorm), +2 Echoing Truth because I feel better having access to a catch all answer

I also have a question: should your Flusterstorm been spellpierce would have heavily mattered? I don't have access to FS (price aside I don't find them) and I'm looking for a solid alternative (Spellpierce counter artifacts too).

Greetings.

Hey guys,

Do you think it would make sense to play X-4 Ponders and no Brainstorms?

Ponder seems a very good T1 play, whereas Brainstorm is more a T2 play (which means T3 reanimation or later...). However, I haven't seen any lists playing Ponders without Brainstorms...

Thanks!

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kingtk3 View Post
    I also have a question: should your Flusterstorm been spellpierce would have heavily mattered? I don't have access to FS (price aside I don't find them) and I'm looking for a solid alternative (Spellpierce counter artifacts too).
    I recently tweaked my sideboard from:

2 Pithing Needle
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Misdirection
    2 Stifle
    2 Show and Tell
    1 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Terastodon

to:

2 Pithing Needle
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Misdirection
    2 Stifle
    2 Show and Tell
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Terastodon

The first board was what I ran at SCG Pittsburgh. The Flusterstorms were included as a means to deal with Hive Mind combo (which had been seeing a good amount of play at the top tables, predominantly because people hadn't figured out how to interact with it). It is a multidimensional counter and worked great at forcing counters under Chalice of the Void set at 1. I don't really think that Flusterstorm is that great against Storm (the other match up I had considered it for), as they will either make you discard it or will use a silence effect on you the turn they are going off. With those considerations in mind, I took the Flusterstorms out of my 75. Running Spell Pierce has been pretty good so far. It helps to counter the key pieces in the two match ups listed above (although I don't think Hive Mind is getting much love these days), is a great substitution for Daze when you are on the draw, and adds a solid counter for graveyard hate.

I also exchanged the maindecked Inkwell for the sideboarded Jin. I have been unimpressed with Inkwell's power as of late. He hasn't won a game for me on the solo for about 6 months. So I figured a 4th Jin would be better, as he does in fact win games (I have only lost one [yes, one] game after a resolved a Jin). Inky is still great in some situations but lately Jin is just the go-to creature and, in my mind there is no reason to take a chance on being forced to reanimate a subpar pick over him.

On a separate note, why are people still running Empyrial Archangel? I tested this creature out for a short period of time, but it was my conclusion that both Elesh and especially Archon just trump this angel. I was never impressed with her impact against Zoo (which was where she was suppose to rock, or any other match up really). Creatures attack and then burn always finishes her off versus Zoo. She has a neat effect but I don't think it was quite enough. Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

Lastly, I would appreciate any thoughts or playtesting results on Angel of Despair. She has been showing up here and there lately. I am kind of curious about her. In theory I think she could be pretty good, but I haven't tested her out yet.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    I also exchanged the maindecked Inkwell for the sideboarded Jin. I have been unimpressed with Inkwell's power as of late. He hasn't won a game for me on the solo for about 6 months. So I figured a 4th Jin would be better, as he does in fact win games (I have only lost one [yes, a single game] game after a resolved a Jin). Inky is still great in some situations but lately Jin is just the go-to creature and, in my mind there is no reason to take a chance on being forced to reanimate a subpar pick over him.
    I've been coming to the exact same conclusion as well- almost every time I opened a hand with Careful Study and Inkwell Leviathan, I always wished it were a Jin-Gitaxias. Inkwell Leviathan has just not been up to snuff since the demise of Counterbalance. If I play in a weekly tonight, I'm gonna definitely move up to a full set of JGCA in the main, with Inky manning the side. I'm not completely sure about Elesh being a maindeckable target yet (though I'm slowly getting to that point), so I think I'm just gonna cut the second Iona for Inky, the reasoning being I'll now have the same number of anti-combo targets in the seventy-five with a fourth JGCA, and have a sideboard target palette of:

1 Terastodon
    1 Inkwell Leviathan

Edit: Just got back from that tournament I was talking about. I went 4-0-1, beating Burn (2-1), UWr Stoneforge (2-1), BW (2-0), and NO RUG (2-0). Despite realizing I made a major mistake at least once in every round [auto-scooping to Burn after he cast Ravenous Trap when he couldn't actually cast it because I'd only binned two cards so far during that turn, giving UWr Stoneforge JtMS as an out when I named white with Iona even though I had an uncounterable Misstep for the Swords in his hand (thankfully, he didn't draw it), making a subpar attack with Jin-Gitaxias against BW (thankfully, it didn't end up mattering), and giving NO RUG an extra draw step after accidentally putting a Hapless Researcher that would have binned an Exhumable Sphinx second from the top off an EOT Brainstorm(thankfully, he drew a land)], I was able to overcome them due to the deck's raw power; while Reanimator's not currently defined as tier one, it certainly feels like it. Some observations from tonight:

-Running only two basics was the bee's knees.
    -The fourth Jin was exponentially better than Inkwell would have been. Never looking back on that decision.
    -Quad Brainstorms were excellent all night.
    -Elesh Norn kind of reaffirmed itself as a strict sideboard card to me.
    -The three boarded Thoughtseize were pretty excellent.
    -The decklist overall felt really, really tight, except for the sideboard selection of creatures (though they did well enough), and Null Rod. Null Rod should probably be something else.

For reference, since I haven't posted my list in a while, the list I ran was:

1 Scalding Tarn (will be an Underground Sea in the near future)
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

4 Entomb
    4 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
    2 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria
    1 Blazing Archon

4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    2 Animate Dead

4 Force of Will
    4 Mental Misstep
    3 Daze

4 Brainstorm
    4 Careful Study
    1 Hapless Researcher

SB:
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Pithing Needle
    2 Null Rod
    2 Show and Tell
    2 Echoing Truth
    1 Inkwell Leviathan
    1 Terastodon
    Last edited by KevinTrudeau; 09-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.

I've been testing the deck a bit, and I'm not really satisfied with the stoneblade matchup. As that's a really popular deck, I thought about using some thoughtseizes main. It seems to me that I only really lose to too much counters; everything else is quite simple to beat (unless I mulligan myself into oblivion). I was using the following configuration:
    7 creatures
    4 entomb
    10 reanimate
    11 counters
    4 brainstorm
    2 hapless, 4 study
    18 land

I was thinking maybe -1 daze, -1 brainstorm, -1 land, +3 thoughtseize, and then keeping the daze (when on the play) and brainstorm (vs pretty much everything when you sb a lot, and obv vs discard) in the sb. Or maybe cutting an animate dead. Sometimes, vs counterspells, you draw multiple copies of the wrong combo piece, and then they counter everything of the other (say, you draw a lot of reanimation effects and they counter the discard outlets and entombs). More disruption would be nice then.

Also, on an unrelated note, I saw some lists with a Sheoldred in the sideboard that I just don't get. In which situation would you want that as your primary reanimation target?

Dec 2010

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    -The fourth Jin was exponentially better than Inkwell would have been. Never looking back on that decision.
    I have been thinking the same thing. I have been liking the consistency I am seeing off of Careful Studies and Hapless Researcher sacrifices. Sorry, Inky, but the board it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinTrudeau View Post
    -Elesh Norn kind of reaffirmed itself as a strict sideboard card to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anselm View Post
    I've been testing the deck a bit, and I'm not really satisfied with the stoneblade matchup.
    I have been running Elesh as a one of in the main and I have been linking it. First off, it my not be your first target versus Zoo, but it is great in that match up. She is solid in the Stone Blade match up if you are fast enough. She kills SFM and makes Batterskull smaller and easier to deal with. She is also great against nearly any tribal plan. Worst case scenario, you get her out post Jin and he becomes a 7/6 beater. Not to mention she makes 3/3 Hapless Researchers, which is kinda cute but sometimes very effective. Overall I think she is a better choice than Empyrial Archangel and she gives you a bit more versatility than doubling up on Sphinx or Iona.

Jack of All Things Trill
    Aug 2010
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Sturtzilla View Post
    Overall I think she is a better choice than Empyrial Archangel and she gives you a bit more versatility than doubling up on Sphinx or Iona.
    As much as I've loved both Sphinxes, you're probably right in that it's correct to replace the second one with an Elesh Norn; it opens up a slot in the board and gives the deck an increased "tool box" feel with Jin as the bread-and-butter target, without messing with the anti-creature deck reanimation target ratios. The +2/+2 to our guys, as you pointed out, I've actually found to be quite relelvant. I'm definitely gonna try it out, probably moving that second Iona back into Elesh's board slot.

Empyrial Archangel doesn't seem necessary at all. Aganist zoo, it just dies if they have any sort of board, and it isn't threatening enough against anything at all. I won't play it at all, using an inky in the sb when you need shroud.

Also, about stoneblade, it's not really a lack of good reanimation targets that's the problem, it's not getting any reanimation to resolve at all. I want every maindeck creature to be threatening to any deck, thus no Elesh Norn or Blazing Archon main. My current setup will be 4 Jin, 1 Sphinx, 1 Iona, 1 Terastodon, with Sphinx, Archon, Inky, Elesh Norn in the sb.

I'm having the same problem as anselm, specially online where the hate is big and there are a lot of control decks (i even got one oppo with UW/Stoneblade that sb'ed leylines!).

For the last week I built a different version trying to battle the control decks, and it's working nicely, but needs some more testing.

4 entomb
    4 study

4 reanimate
    4 animate dead

4 fow
    4 misstep
    4 duress (don't have thoughtseizes, but against control duress is probably better anyway)
    2 hymn to tourach

4 brainstorm

8 creatures (3 jin, 1 ink, 1 blazing, 1 elesh, 1 sphinx, 1 iona)

18 land

sideboard
    3 exhume
    2 hapless
    3 echoing truth
    3 daze
    4 creatures (iona, angel despair/terastodon, empyrial arch, platinum angel)

The deck is slower, but the discard package is excellent against control decks. With this version quad brainstorms are needed to manipulate the deck. Right now I prefer animate dead over exhume, because exhumes were sometimes awkward when the oppo had some stupid creature in his grave, like phyrexian metamorph (which, along with its alternates, is becoming very popular).

The sideboard allows me to change the deck to the #2 garobidou's version which i really like against non-control decks. With the discard package and echoing truth the deck can handle all the gy hate. The only threat hard to handle is karakas, and that's why I have archangel too - can't be karak'd, ith'd or stp'd, 4 turn clock, and absorbs most decks damage).

With this version I prefer to draw in the first game, to have another way to discard and get an extra card (since I'm playing controlish at the beginning). After sb it will depend on the deck I'm facing.

This is just experimental right now, but the fields I play are becoming very control oriented, and that pesky stoneforge is a really annoying dude.

@anselm
    I really think you should play at least arkon or elesh mainboard. They are nuts against a couple of decks, and a good out to have in some situations.

Thread Information