Page 34 of 180 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

Smarter than your average Bear Deck
    Jan 2009

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

I don't really see where that would matter, since it only prevents them from playing that color the rest of the game. Most artifacts off top of my head (vial, trini, chalice, etc.) would only make a difference if they got out before you reanimate anyways.

Duress should remove any artifact hate unless they go first AND are able to get it out, in which case you're just SOL. Otherwise that should clear up cards like chalice & give you a good idea what deck they're running if you choose to reanimate the angel

Iona should definitely be included in new renditions of Reanimator. However, most of the time you will most likely be naming white or blue, cutting off opposing counters and StPs. This basically gives all your fatties shroud. The only reason Akroma, Angel of Wrath isn't run in the decklists shown in this topic is because of StP and bounce. An untargetable Akroma would be absolute house and quite possibly one of the strongest assets Reanimator has.

However it is hard to acknowledge Iona without acknowledging its synergy with another creature....Painter's Servant. Having both Iona and Painter's Servant in play effectively shuts off your opponents entire deck and hand. Reanimating Iona and naming white or blue will probably clench the match for you if followed up by a Painter's Servant, naming white or blue as well.

This brings us to another card that has long since been dismissed in any competitive format.

Here is a build I am currently trying out, though it is far from being complete

4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    4x Underground Sea
    3x Watery Grave
    1x Island
    4x Lotus Petal

4x Iona, Shield of Emeria
    4x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    3x Painter's Servant

4x Careful Study
    4x Intuition

4x Mystical Tutor
    4x Oona's Prowler
    3x Painter's Servant

4x Putrid Imp
    4x Reanimate
    2x Exhume
    2x Victimize

Jan 2009

yo, you forgot 1x Grindstone!

I like you're thinking that looks like a cool deck and I love Victimize, although I'd cut putrid imp or prowler for hapless researcher 'cause the card is friggin bomb, just superior imo 'cause it allows you to cycle through your library quicker.

You really need brainstorm in the deck especially with fetches, I switched from ponder to brainstorms and it helped my deck a lot for setting up the combo, maybe dont run mystical tutor.

I'd either cut back on intuition or run rituals, too. You can still ritual with blue mana, and float black mana to reanimate I do it all the time but I also run 3 buried alive/2 intuition so I dunno, but speed is everything in this deck so I go for the 'win before I lose approach' and so far my deck has done very well so, I dunno, just a thought.

Entomb is unbanned!

This is the greatest possible news for this archetype!

The unbanning of Entomb is the single best thing to happen to this archetype in a very long time. This deck can now play very much like the 2001-2003 Reanimator decks from Extended, which are much more consistent than the current build that requires Putrid Imps and 4 copies of Akroma/SSS/Inkwell/Bogardan/Archangel.

After testing out the following build, I can verify that it plays almost identically like Extended Reanimators before Entomb's restriction. In the past years, there has been little printing of cards which accelerate the deck's purpose, aside from bigger and better fatties.

U/B Reanimator 2k9

Mana (18)
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Underground Sea
    4x Swamp
    1x Island
    1x Watery Grave

Spells (31)
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Entomb
    4x Careful Study
    4x Mystical Tutor
    1x Show and Tell
    1x Sickening Dreams
    1x Chain of Vapor
    4x Force of Will

Creatures (12)
    4x Hapless Researcher
    1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    1x Verdant Force
    1x Blazing Archon/Woodfall Primus/Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Empyrial Archangel
    1x Bogardan Hellkite
    1x Iona, Shield of Emeria

Reanimating Iona consistently on turn 2 is absolutely devastating to most decks. Against a mono-colored deck, they will usually just scoop unless it is something like Ichorid of 43 Lands. Naming blue shuts off all counters in the format and assures that your own Force of Will resolves in case you want to counter a Swords to Plowshares.

Dark Ritual/Chrome Mox/Lotus Petal would have been included but I couldn't make room in the deck. While the infamous Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume combo is indeed very powerful, I needed enough blue cards to fuel Force of Will. Force of Will is much more potent than the likes of Duress/Thoughtseize/Cabal Therapy because well, a topdecked StP or Diabolic Edict is horrible to face against when your opponent has 6 life left and your Akroma just got removed.
    Last edited by roflwaffles; 09-18-2009 at 09:23 AM.

Jan 2009

Hoorah!!

That is awesome news! I can replace a few cards I dont need, maybe even cut intuitions. Turn1 hellkite overlord puts a smile on my face :)

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffles View Post
    U/B Reanimator 2k9

Mana (18)
    Creatures (12)
    4x Hapless Researcher
    1x Verdant Force
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Empyrial Archangel
    1x Bogardan Hellkite
    Aren't you basically always going to Reanimate either Empyrial Archangel, Inkwell Leviathan, or Iona? Verdant Force and Sundering Titan (two of my all time favorites) seem weak, as does Hellkite. I mean, Verdant Force is pretty great on turn one against Goblins, but Akroma is better. When is Verdant Force better than Akroma? And blowing up lands is fun, but your opponents will always be able to float mana to kill Titan. I get that Hellkite kills Goyf and Tombstalker on the spot, but...meh.

Thunder Dragon doesn't kill Tombstalker, but saves you from Goblins and Merfolk. I think I might run 1 Akroma, 1 Inkwell Leviathan, 1 Empyrial Archangel, 1 Thunder Dragon, and 1 Hellkite, and I'm not sold on the Dragons.

That deck is also severly lacking in Thoughtseizes. Force is great, but I think I'd like to add some more disruption to it.
    InfoNinjas

Iona should definitely be included in new renditions of Reanimator. However, most of the time you will most likely be naming white or blue, cutting off opposing counters and StPs. This basically gives all your fatties shroud. The only reason Akroma, Angel of Wrath isn't run in the decklists shown in this topic is because of StP and bounce. An untargetable Akroma would be absolute house and quite possibly one of the strongest assets Reanimator has.

However it is hard to acknowledge Iona without acknowledging its synergy with another creature....Painter's Servant. Having both Iona and Painter's Servant in play effectively shuts off your opponents entire deck and hand. Reanimating Iona and naming white or blue will probably clench the match for you if followed up by a Painter's Servant, naming white or blue as well.

This brings us to another card that has long since been dismissed in any competitive format.

4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    4x Underground Sea
    3x Watery Grave
    1x Island
    4x Lotus Petal

3x Painter's Servant

4x Careful Study
    4x Intuition

4x Mystical Tutor
    4x Oona's Prowler
    3x Painter's Servant

4x Putrid Imp
    4x Reanimate
    2x Exhume
    2x Victimize
    Hm, this post gave me some new ideas, thanks!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2008
    Houston, TX

Wouldn't Hellkite Overlord be better than Akroma? Both dodge Snuff Out, both die to StP, but Overlord just hits harder...

Sep 2007
    MN

My brother rarely plays magic but when he does he straight uses illegal decks, neither of us cared. One of the ones he used was essentially legacy reanimator with 4 entombs. The deck is annoyingly strong preboard against quite a few decks and almost all decks not running blue.

4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Polluted Delta
    1x Swamp
    4x Underground Sea
    3x Watery Grave
    1x Island
    4x Lotus Petal

3x Painter's Servant

4x Careful Study
    4x Intuition

4x Mystical Tutor
    4x Oona's Prowler
    3x Painter's Servant

4x Putrid Imp
    4x Reanimate
    2x Exhume
    2x Victimize
    If you cut the # of painters back to 4 you should be able to fit a grindstone or two in there. Or maybe a 5/5 split with Iona.

Eva Green
    Aug 2007
    tilburg, the netherlands

With the new shaz going on, I wanted to update my list too (like everyone else who test/plays this deck).

This is my list:

4xputrid imp
    4xcarefull study
    4xentomb!

4xcabal therapy
    4xbrainstorm

3xbogardan hellkite
    3xinkwell leviathan
    1xakroma, angel of wrath
    1xempyrial archangel
    1xiona, angel of ?
    1xhellkite overlord

4xreanimate
    4xexhume
    2xanimate death

4xunderground sea
    4xpolluted delta
    2xbloodstained mire
    6xswamp
    3xisland
    1xwatery grave

I really like this list. With the coming of entomb it goed consistently t2 fatty. And I can also run more 1-offs because of entomb, which is great for a kind of toolbox.

Any comments? Maybe some more iona's or other creatures?
    team HASTE!

Sep 2007
    MN

Quote Originally Posted by electrolyze View Post

4xunderground sea
    4xpolluted delta
    2xbloodstained mire
    6xswamp
    3xisland
    1xwatery grave
    I am confidant that 20 lands is wrong. The explosion of 1st or 2nd turn hasted 6's and 8's hitting ones face needs a) lotus petals or B) dark rituals.

Jan 2009

The unbanning of Entomb is the single best thing to happen to this archetype in a very long time. This deck can now play very much like the 2001-2003 Reanimator decks from Extended, which are much more consistent than the current build that requires Putrid Imps and 4 copies of Akroma/SSS/Inkwell/Bogardan/Archangel.

After testing out the following build, I can verify that it plays almost identically like Extended Reanimators before Entomb's restriction. In the past years, there has been little printing of cards which accelerate the deck's purpose, aside from bigger and better fatties.

U/B Reanimator 2k9

Mana (18)
    4x Polluted Delta
    4x Bloodstained Mire
    4x Underground Sea
    4x Swamp
    1x Island
    1x Watery Grave

Spells (31)
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Entomb
    4x Careful Study
    4x Mystical Tutor
    1x Show and Tell
    1x Sickening Dreams
    1x Chain of Vapor
    4x Force of Will

Creatures (12)
    4x Hapless Researcher
    1x Verdant Force
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Sundering Titan
    1x Empyrial Archangel
    1x Bogardan Hellkite

Reanimating Iona consistently on turn 2 is absolutely devastating to most decks. Against a mono-colored deck, they will usually just scoop unless it is something like Ichorid of 43 Lands. Naming blue shuts off all counters in the format and assures that your own Force of Will resolves in case you want to counter a Swords to Plowshares.

Dark Ritual/Chrome Mox/Lotus Petal would have been included but I couldn't make room in the deck. While the infamous Dark Ritual, Entomb, Exhume combo is indeed very powerful, I needed enough blue cards to fuel Force of Will. Force of Will is much more potent than the likes of Duress/Thoughtseize/Cabal Therapy because well, a topdecked StP or Diabolic Edict is horrible to face against when your opponent has 6 life left and your Akroma just got removed.

You seem to have a pretty similar spellbase that I had in mind, I like your list I think its pretty good.

Although, I do run Duress instead of Force of Will. I dont have any FoW.. but honestly I dont know if I'd run it if I did 'cause my deck pretty much combos off so fast, the cards practically fall outta my hand by turn1-2 lol.
    Actually, I dont even maindeck duress just bring it in game 2-3 for the hatin', most decks I go against game1 are just sitting ducks, they aren't usually prepared so I figure just go for the kill then worry bout it game 2.

I also run 17 lands and 4 Lotus petal. Yeah.. I dont regret it though 'cause I've wiped players out turn1-2 game one, and the explosiveness is so worth it

J Mar failed us! 9/20
    Aug 2009

welcome back: only difference is that was a vintage deck.

http://morphling.de/deckarchives.php?deck=21

I may actaully start playing this now that entomb is back from the graveyard.

13 creatures
    3 Iona
    2 angel of despair
    2 phantom nishoba
    1 sundering titan
    1 yosei morning star
    4 squee goblin nabob

10 instant
    4 entomb
    4 dark ritual
    2 brainstorm

19 sorcery
    4 exhume
    4 reanimate
    4 careful study
    4 duress
    3 cabal therapy

4 enchantment
    3 zombie infestation
    1 dragon breath

16 land
    4 underground sea
    4 polluted delta
    2 island
    2 swamp
    4 wasteland
    2 cephalid colosseum

verdant force and dread return might be good synergy. I haven't played this in a long time.
    -If it needs a repair you have a problem, if I smash it, it's now fixed as you now don't have to repair it!-

Quoting Queena from Final Fantasy IX

"me so happy"

About Exhume's unban.

I love Reanimator decks, but without either Vampiric Tutor or Entomb the deck was pretty much dead...

Obviously I doubt that we're ever seeing Vamp back, but we have Entomb!!

This is what I assembled...

ENTOMB REANIMATOR
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    6 Swamp
    2 Island
    4 Chrome Mox

1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    1 Hellkite Overlord
    1 Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1 Simic Sky Swallower
    1 Iona, Shield of Emeria*

4 Careful Study
    1 Sickening Dreams

4 Entomb
    4 Exhume
    4 Reanimate
    1 Show and Tell

4 Brainstorm
    4 Mystical Tutor
    4 Duress
    3 Spell Pierce*
    2 Thoughtseize

SB
    1 Spell Pierce
    2 Thoughtseize
    4 Mindbreak Trap*

Cards marked * are from upcoming Zendikar.

With Entomb we don't need to run many creatures. Old extended decks used to run about five when Entomb was extended legal. Five is more than enough.

My picks are:

Akroma - obvious choice. I actually thought about the red variant from Planar Chaos, but it wasn't worth the trouble since anything with shroud is just better.

Hellkite Overlord - 8cc creature, just like Akroma. That means that if reanimated you don't lose more life, and you really don't lose less either. It's a larger creature than Akroma, and kills faster than Akroma. I might actually end either replacing him or her for something better.

Sphinx of the Steel Wind - akroma, in an artifact shell. It has vigilance, first strike and protection from green. This thing can attack, block and gain up to 12 life between your attack and your opponent's attack phase. It has protection from green, so even if your opponent managed to drop a couple of Tarmos then this would block one and the lifelink lifegain would make up for the unblocked Tarmogoyf.

I thought about Empyrial Archangel for the Sphinx's slot but it's too slow and under the right circumstances it can be killed with too much damage... I don't think it's worthwhile. Same for Blazing Archon, Phantom Nishoba... all of which are just weaker choices than the Sphinx.

Iona, Shield of Emeria - It's a 7/7 angel that reads: "As Iona, Shield of Emeria enters the battlefield, choose a color. Your opponents can't cast spells of the chosen color."

So even if you call blue, you still are able to play blue spells while your opponents are not. Pretty much good against anything! Its effect is so powerful that it should win games on its own unless the opponent has an off-color answer to remove Iona from the game or return it to your hand.

Simic Sky Swallower - was Inkwell. The extra 2 damage from a possible Reanimate felt too much. Went back to Sky Swallower but might trade it for something else later on.

The rest of the deck is pretty self explanatory. Lots of cheap card draw/discard, lots of cheap disruption and Mystical Tutor...

We don't have Vampiric around and Lim-Dul's Vault, although reasonably priced and more powerful tutoring effect has a life cost attached that makes me frown for the same reason I didn't pick up Inkwell Leviathan. Against some decks you don't want to be losing life that fast when reanimating a single fatty can take you to 10 life, if you already used a fetchland or you Thoughtseized...

But since all the important spells are either instants or sorceries - Entomb, Reanimate and Exhume, Mystical fills up the holes and allows you to get the pieces you don't have in your hand.

I picked up Spell Pierce from Zendikar because it's a cheap and useful counterspell early on. For U you can counter any non-creature spell unless your opponent pays 2 extra mana. Early on this should be good enough to stall or stop anything dangerous from hitting play since the deck aims to be as fast as possible.

Mindbreak Trap because the deck hates combo and doesn't have a better tutor to get silver bullets in hand. Plus, if combo goes off the spell costs only 0 to cast.

The deck feels as solid as is, with fast card draw and lots of disruption... But... I do have to say I have a feeling someone will probably manage to bend Entomb in somekind of Sutured Ghoul deck.

Up 'till then this feels like a nice revamp on an old favourite :)
    \"Is it just me or are magic players a very very special breed. Who else would try and determine the viability of a fold by what kind of ink was used? Or maybe its the people squinting at tiny illegible print or the people reviewing pages upon pages of this. We should all be detectives or something, because we are an amazing bunch here.\" - Beefybot at mtgnews.com

Nov 2006
    London

If I were to run five 1-of fatties they would be:
    Inkwell Leviathan
    Empyrial Archangel
    Iona, Shield of Emeria
    Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    Utility: Bogardan Hellkite/Angel of Despair/Woodfall Primus/Sundering Titan

FoW should be in here.
    Daze is still better than Spell Pierce at protecting your turn 2 play.
    Thoughtseize is better than Duress in the offchance that you need to aim it at yourself.
    A single Wipe Away to search out with Mystical is probably a wise idea.

Jan 2009

I don't see the point of MD Duress. Unless your meta is just Blue blue blue.. most players are just gonna sit in awe when you drop a turn1 skywallower or Primus <insert :O!>

Thoughtseize is better than Duress in the offchance that you need to aim it at yourself
    That's actually a really good point

Jan 2009

EDIT: bleh double post.

Oh yeah, I suggest hapless researcher too he's really good for a few reasons!

-Provides blocker later game, to stall
    -his mini-careful study ability makes good secondary turn1 quick drop
    -use reanimate on him instead, late game, when your low on life and 'reanimate' becomes a dead option @.@

Noachide'
    Aug 2009
    Dongying, China

No mention of Mox Diamond? It's great with Entomb. Turn one Mox, Swamp = Entomb, Reanimate --> Akroma, attack. Eat it aggro. :
    Who says the Internet isn't full of <3?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr View Post
    MMogg, I love you more and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by menace13
    MMogg is already loved any place he goes.

Thread Information