Page 84 of 180 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 3594

Thread: [Deck] Reanimator

Re: [Deck] B/U Reanimator

@Jon Stewart
    How well do Tarmogoyf and Tombstalker play together? It would seem like they have poor synergy.

Mystical Tutor vs Lim Dul's Vault AKA "LDV"

I did a little study to find out how much switching to LDV from Mystical would slow down the deck in game 1. I did 40 test draws and played each with Mystical and then the exact same hand (and cards drawn) with LDV in place of the mystical. The list used was LSV's list from SCG posted on a previous page.

The results were:
    Mystical tutor
    25/40 (62%) combo on turn 2
    10/40 (25%) combo on turn 3
    2/40 (5%) combo on turn 4
    3/40 (8%) fail to combo before turn 5

Lim Dul's Vault
    19/40 (47%) combo on turn 2
    16/40 (40%) combo on turn 3
    3/40 (7%) combo on turn 4
    2/40 (5%) fail to combo before turn 5

You can see that the LDV list is slowed by one turn in many of the games where LDV has to be used to get a combo piece (about 20% of games). Also note that many of these slower games were able to be played with Exhume instead of reanimate, taking much less damage from LDV than Reanimate.
    You will also see that LDV allowed me to combo before turn 5 with a poor mulligained hand when Mystical did not. (actually went off turn 3!)

LDV plays poorly with turn 1 Daze.

However, it does allow some luckey "Vault piles" like {careful study, reanimate, guy} or {exhume, guy, with study in hand} or {Brainstorm, entomb, reanimate}.

I think vault is also better at recovering if your hand is empty or almost empty after taking a faerie to face or similar.

Obviously you cannot run the 4 needle, 11 instant sideboard as well with LDV.

LDV is extra strong when you have brainstorm in hand or can put it on top!

Here is the raw data if anyone wants to do more math.

The first number is the number of turns to combo with mystical. If there is a second number, that is the number of turns to combo with the exact same hand and LDV instead of Mystical. * is a failure to combo before turn 5.

2 - 3
    3 - 4
    2 - 3
    2 - 3
    2 - 3
    2 - 3
    2 - 3

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

These are goldfishing numbers though right? LDV makes you pay life, which significantly changes the math when you are facing down a team of Nacatl's and Goyfs. You ought to also include the amount of life you are paying each time you play LDV that way you can more accurately depict the viability of LDV as a replacement for Mystical Tutor.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Has anyone considered a build with 3-4 maindeck Show and Tell and maybe a few more monsters?

Bands with Others
    Jul 2009
    NY, NY

Quote Originally Posted by DFY889 View Post
    Has anyone considered a build with 3-4 maindeck Show and Tell and maybe a few more monsters?
    I am testing 3 main SNT with 10 dudes and also trying out a version that runs Goyfs main(emidln had suggested something like this wether it was main or side cant remember).Both of the lists leave something to be desired, there are intervals where you can not recover or find the exact missing spell to chain.

@rex-They play pretty well together Team America and Eva Green has used that pair for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Respect my shine bitch!

well I normally use LDV to set up turn 3 exhume instead of turn 2 reanimate so you pay much less life.

And yes, all goldfishing.

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

Alright, I've got two more events I can play misty in, and I want to make good use of her. I expect a lot of the meta will probably feel this way, so I figured reanimator was a better choice than ANT. What are some recommendations for a meta thats fairly heavy in control/reanimator/ant/zoo/lands? Careful studies or no? Sideboard is the area I'd probably need the most help with. Thanks for your help!

Mar 2009
    Italy

Yesterday night my first test after the MT ban with is first replacement performed by Lim Dul's Vault.

An extract from my previous list:

Creatures
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Blazing Archon
    1x Empyrial Archangel
    1x Sphinx of Steel Wind
    2x Iona, Shield of Emeria

Tutor, Cantrip and More
    3x Mystycal Tutor
    4x Careful Study
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder
    2x Thoughtseize
    1x Show and Tell
    1x Wipe Away

I already played just 3 MT for Ponder and a full playset of Careful Study so I've just replaced with 3 Lim's Dul Vault and changements are not so bad 'cuz cast with success Lim's Dul Vault means a five cards top deck like:

Brainstorm
    Entomb or Exhume
    Thoughtseize or Force of Will or 2nd Entomb or Exhume
    Lim's Dul Vault or Other Cantrip
    Garbage

that means:

- try to reanimate with multiple chances or without a loss of life
    - check for the opponent's hand and look forward the turns restarting a new Lim's Dul Vault

Btw I'm quite sure that I need to move some cards from the previous list in order to increase Thoughtseize, I think new kind of play the deck in its control version means protect Lim's Dul Vault or combo and, on the base of opponent's hand, resolve it in the right way (specific target or no loss of life).

My idea is, as first to remove the MT targets:

OUT
    - 1 Show and Tell
    - 1 Wipe Away
    - 1 inkwell Leviathan

IN
    +1 Thoughtseize
    +1 Terastodon
    +1 [Free Slot]

Second step is to optimize protections or cantrip shell and here I've not found yet the best choice to improve, I've just seen that:

- Ponder after a Lim Dul's Vault is a quite useless card but guarantee an establish version in T1 and T2
    - 4 Careful Study are too much 'cuz I can't opt for a T1 Study and T2 MT for Reanimate

Some hypothesis...

CONTROL OPTIMIZATION

OUT
    -1 Daze
    -1 Careful Study

IN
    +2 Spell Pierce
    +1 Thougthseize [Free Slot]

so I could play the following list:

CREATURES
    1x Terastodon
    1x Sphinx of Steel Wind
    1x Empyrial Archangel
    1x Blazing Archon

REANIMATOR STUFF
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Entomb

DRAWERS, TUTORS AND CANTRIP
    3x Lim Dul's Vault
    3x Careful Study
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder

PROTECTIONS
    4x Force of Will
    4x Thoughtseize
    3x Daze
    2x Spell Pierce

LANDS:17 with 8 fetch 4 basic lands and a single Bayou

CANTRIP OPTIMIZATION

OUT
    -1 Careful Study

IN
    +2 Best Cantrip or Tutors Avalible [1 is the Free Slot]

so I could play the following list:

CREATURES
    1x Terastodon
    1x Sphinx of Steel Wind
    1x Empyrial Archangel
    1x Blazing Archon

REANIMATOR STUFF
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Entomb

3x Lim Dul's Vault
    3x Careful Study
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder
    2x Strategic Plannic or Personal Tutor or Intuition or WHAT???

PROTECTIONS
    4x Force of Will
    3x Thoughtseize
    4x Daze

LANDS: 17 with 8 fetch 4 basic lands and a single Bayou

What kind of cards do u fixed in this version?

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

It seems to me that IF we are going to be a little slower/less consistent then the deck needs to have a slighly longer term outlook. For that reason I like Comeback's control list.

The other option that comes to mind since there has already been toying around with is burning wish. You can leave a SnT a reanimate spell, and a seize/duress in the board along with having access to Firespout/Perish 1st. game. Second game you get REBs vs. blue

Team Nijmegen Failtrain Captain
    Nov 2009
    Nijmegen, Netherlands

Burning wish is acceptable, but it's just as mana-greedy as lim-duls vault, but not an instant.
    This will be relevant.
    Another relevant thing is that burning wish CAN NOT grab entomb.

what's it with the terastodon, I still haven't found a situation in which another creature from the package couldn't win.
    since I don't care enough for 18 power of creatures, without lands left on T3.

I also like comeback's list, but I think it needs a completely different tuning than cards like spell pierce.
    We will have to face more aggro than before, and G1, spell pierce is definately the worst card around for maindecking it.
    I'd rather play +2 ponder

strategic planning only works with lim-duls vault.
    it's a terrible card for reanimate otherwise, if you want to up that ammount play either intuition ( which is incredibly strong, but 3 mana) or preordain ( new cantrip from M11)

random scrub

Sep 2004
    Costa La Haya

Quote Originally Posted by practical joke View Post
    Another relevant thing is that burning wish CAN NOT grab entomb.
    I agree. If you go with Burning Wish you could just as well go with Personal Tutor.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

Mar 2009
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    It seems to me that IF we are going to be a little slower/less consistent then the deck needs to have a slighly longer term outlook. For that reason I like Comeback's control list.
    Do you think that DRAWERS, TUTORS AND CANTRIP section is ok or with 6 cc1 protection a re-definition that allow to play quite surely a Personal Tutor in T2 has to be put in place?

3x Lim Dul's Vault
    3x Careful Study or 1x Careful Study and 2x Strategic Plannig?
    4x Brainstorm
    2x Ponder or Personal Tutor?

Is it correct to read Strategic Plannig like both Ponder and Careful Study?
    Last edited by comeback; 06-23-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

While burning wish does cost 2 and is off color it is NOT card disadvantage, nor does it cost life, and it provides access to your singelton bomb sb options.

I guess the question becomes who are we trying to go faster than Tendrils decks...? We are realistically racing CB but my prediction is that we will see other less consistent combo decks, ZOO, lands, and slow board control. I think the aggro-control decks who don't have very good matchups vs. zoo, lands, or board control are going to get pushed out for a while.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

EDIT: Strategic Planning only affects the cards you look at. You can't discard what you want like with Study.

Rex and Control, those were good posts, I would definately opt for Intution over both Strategic Planning and Personal Tutor, but have you guys considered going beyond simply testing Lim Dul's Vault.

What about using the freed up slots to actually make the deck less defensive and more aggressive and consistent?

Something along these lines...

Spells:
    4x Daze
    4x Reanimate
    4x Exhume
    4x Animate Dead
    4x Entomb
    4x Thoughtseize
    4x Careful Study
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Ponder

Creatures
    4x Iona
    2x Sphinx of the Steel Wind
    1x Inkwell Leviathan
    1x Blazing Archon

Lands:
    4x Underground Sea
    4x Verdant Catacombs
    4x Polluted Delta
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    1x Swamp
    1x Island

There, 12 Reanimates, 12 Creatures (Counting Entomb), 12 Discard Outlets (Counting Entomb & Thoughtseize), 8 Disruption Spells AND 11 Cantrips . That should make the deck pretty damn consistent if nothing else.

This version of the deck is actually really powerful. Rex, I would love to see your goldwish turn results for the above list.

I think they will be unconditionally be superior to your Vault goldfish turns and probably, superior to Mystical Tutor goldfish turns as well.

Yeah, I think Ponder is superior to Breakthrough. But still, I don't want people to misinterpret how Breakthrough would be used in the deck. Yes, you can use it as early as turn 2 or turn 3 to reanimate something asap. But that's something you would only do agianst a combo matchup, or if you are desperate. Most of the time, you shuffle away Breakthrough with Brainstorm in the early game, and use it in the midgame, once you are down to three cards in your hand or less (it happens pretty often, this deck eats through cards in hand rapidly). By turn 3-4 when you only have 2-3 cards in hand, maybe a creature, nothing useful, that's when you use breakthrough to get the creature into the yard and also draw yourself a reanimate effect or two to cast it that turn or the next turn.It's more useful than it sounds, because with this deck, really, the only cards that you want to/need to keep it hand are reanimate effects. Everything else you can pitch with impunity. As a result, once you are down to 3 cards in hand, Breakthrough functions as a Careful Study on steriods.

Ill do it next time I have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RexFTW View Post
    Ill do it next time I have the time.
    Yes. Please do.

I look forward to seeing the official combo turn, or goldfish turn with the list I just posted. It seems to be blazing fast.

Also, don't forget. When on the play, if you have both a reanimate and a creature in hand, but no discard/entomb effect. Most of time, it's best to pass the turn and just discard the creature during your discard step, and Reanimate it next turn.

Thanks so much.

A lot of people around the intarwebs seem to think that this will require a major overhaul to the deck. I don't think so. I understand that LDV and Personal Tutor or Intuition aren't piecewise replacements for MT, but I think the vast majority of the shell will remain the same. I think that the deck is still remarkably powerful and with small tweaks is still very consistent.

I've been playing around a bit with a couple ponder and a couple LDV (I don't think it could be a four of) and a few extra ponder. The more games I play the more sure I am that the deck might not be as powerful as it used to be, but that it is still firmly a tier 1 deck. Especially if everyone lets their guard down.

As far as tweaks to the shell, I'm considering increasing my threat density either by going up to 7 or 8 reanimation targets or adding tombstalkers. I think extra big killers will make thoughtseize and careful study more consistent.

I agree that while we may have less selection over which fatty we bring out, with a little more protection, just about any one will do.

Perhaps the biggest question is what cards are valuable enough to stock the sideboard with now that the singleton sideboard will no longer cut it. What cards are useful enough against enough strategies that we can commit space to them? I know that the metagame is going to shift so it is too early for specifics configurations, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

~Karr.

Jun 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

No, this deck isn't going away at all. Entomb was/is the major issue, not MT. Jon Stewart's list looks fucking terrifying. If that sort of hyper-aggressive build can still goldfish turn 2 most of the time, the DCI looks pretty dumb for failing to nerf a deck that is ultimately a much larger threat than ANT could ever pretend to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrcinegin View Post
    A lot of people around the intarwebs seem to think that this will require a major overhaul to the deck. I don't think so. I understand that LDV and Personal Tutor or Intuition aren't piecewise replacements for MT, but I think the vast majority of the shell will remain the same. I think that the deck is still remarkably powerful and with small tweaks is still very consistent.

I've been playing around a bit with a couple ponder and a couple LDV (I don't think it could be a four of) and a few extra ponder. The more games I play the more sure I am that the deck might not be as powerful as it used to be, but that it is still firmly a tier 1 deck. Especially if everyone lets their guard down.

As far as tweaks to the shell, I'm considering increasing my threat density either by going up to 7 or 8 reanimation targets or adding tombstalkers. I think extra big killers will make thoughtseize and careful study more consistent.

I agree that while we may have less selection over which fatty we bring out, with a little more protection, just about any one will do.

Perhaps the biggest question is what cards are valuable enough to stock the sideboard with now that the singleton sideboard will no longer cut it. What cards are useful enough against enough strategies that we can commit space to them? I know that the metagame is going to shift so it is too early for specifics configurations, but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

~Karr.
    Everyone brace yourselfs, this does not happen much on the internets!

I totally agree with every point made here. I think this is the direction that this thread should take.

To your sideboard point:
    I think the following should be included:
    4x pithing needle
    1x Dryad arbor
    1x Thoughtsieze
    1x Realm Razer
    4x Graveyard Disruption
    4x Bounce/Enchant Destruction

I think the grave disruption should be either leylines or extirpates.
    I think the Bounce/Enchant destruction should be a mix of echoing truth, reverent silence or natures claim.

Thread Information