Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Shadowmoor Info

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: Shadowmoor Info

Thoughts: Halfway between badass and computer-generated crap. The color palettes on some of them are all wrong. On many of them, they're two-tonal at the core. I'd like to see some interesting color combinations as well as triplets of colors instead of just pairs. They seem to be trafficking on a lot of Cezanne color field stuff.

This one, for example, annoys me. Beyond that it's elf-in-bikini, we've just got bolts of green crap coming out of the ground. It opts for high-contrast, simple things with the same monotone, night-vision look to it.

This one, by contrast,
    looks neat. We're given a sense of the form of these beings through shape and shadow and light, not by outright portraying them. They're in they're environment and they look spooky, like The Fallen. They're silent, quiet, cold and scary.

Some of the pieces have kind of a Mark Ryden tone to them. Familiarize yourself with his work, it's genuinely odd:

Numba One

Numba Twooo

I'm really interested in what Rebecca Guay has made for this set. Spooky is a sense best done in watercolors, and I think she can really pull out despair (see robe of leeches).

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Now that I think of it: why would Transfigure be in Shadowmoor? The only way it can have decent synergy with Evoke would be by putting Evoke and Transfigure on the same card, which just can't happen outside of rares because it would take up too much text. Considering that most Evoke creatures have bumped-up CMCs because of the Evoke option, there's actually a negative synergy between the two.
    Both on the same card? Why? Not like you can Evoke and Transfigure before it dies -- it's used only as a sorcery.
    Keep moon-walking.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Evoke is not in the set. Wizards stated that there will be completely different mechanics in Shadowmoor because it will be a different block.

And Transfigure wouldn't be that bad if they don't pull of another Transmute and make every Transfigure cost 3 mana, no matter how high the CC of the creature is.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

Transmute was not that bad.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Yes, Shadowmoor will have different mechanics, but it's supposed to play nice with Lorwyn block.

And I agree that Transmute was far from bad (heh :P). But Transfigure is weaker, in that it adds much less to a card's power level than Transmute does.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Check this out.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...review/shmpack
    artwork with casting cost only.
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

Mar 2007

Check out the mana cost on Beseech the Queen (the 'kid looking at cloud-person' thing). Hybrid is back, and better than ever!

the artwork looks seriously sick. I love it. no happy-happy-joy-joy lepercons, fairies (ok, some fairies looked pretty cool) and ponies like Lorwyn was

edit: demigod of revenge (the last one) has text on mouseover, unlike the others. somewhat interesting card

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I dunno, the Demigod is kinda meh due its manacost, at least for Legacy.

And I'm excited about Beseech the Queen. Looks like it could be a cool something for .

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Sigh. This set is gonna be impossible to draft.

Mar 2007

Five mana 5/4 flyer haste with another positive ability? Sign me up for two years of Standard play!

It might not be utterly unplayable in Legacy either. I have a more midrange-ish take on Red Death that should like this dude.

I have a more midrange-ish take on Red Death that should like this dude.
    I'd love to see that, if you wouldn't mind sharing

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Five mana 5/4 flyer haste with another positive ability? Sign me up for two years of Standard play!

It might not be utterly unplayable in Legacy either. I have a more midrange-ish take on Red Death that should like this dude.
    This probably wouldnt be playable in any of the current metagoyfs, since Goyf is a 5/6 for 2...

If I see another post containing nothing but whining about goyf, I intend to see you banned. This is your final warning. ~ Nightmare

I was thinking more of a Survival thing. Demigod of Revenge > Demigod of Revenge > Demigod of Revenge > Demigod of Revenge with a way to get the mana. Seething Survival?

best case scenario would probably be buried alive into 3 demigods, seething song into the 4th, swing and win. not the most resilient, reliable or fast of combos though

either that or survival in place of buried alive

my timmy side likes the card though. reminds me of 97' living death decks into 4 benthic behemoths ftw

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    I was thinking more of a Survival thing. Demigod of Revenge > Demigod of Revenge > Demigod of Revenge > Demigod of Revenge with a way to get the mana. Seething Survival?

Quote Originally Posted by Shtriga
    I'd love to see that, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Disclaimer: currently, the deck is awful.

// Lands
    4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
    4 [ON] Polluted Delta
    7 [UNH] Swamp
    4 [PR] Badlands
    4 [MR] Chrome Mox

// Threats
    4 [TO] Nantuko Shade
    3 [CHK] Horobi, Death's Wail
    4 [LRW] Shriekmaw
    4 [FUT] Tombstalker

4 [PR] Lightning Bolt
    1 [LG] Chain Lightning

// Disruption
    4 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
    1 [9E] Blood Moon
    4 [LRW] Thoughtseize
    4 [u] Sinkhole
    4 [PR] Hymn to Tourach (1)

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
    SB: 4 [AL] Dystopia
    SB: 4 [7E] Engineered Plague
    SB: 4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    SB: 1 [DK] Tormod's Crypt

thanks. I had my own take on it but it was even more awful :P . it ran sedge slivers instead of Horobis and the moon effects were relegated to the SB, and ran 4 terminates main. I had discarded it already

edit: there's already some heavy discussion regarding demigod of revenge in the mtg website forums. if anything, it will be a great card in constructed formats. as for legacy, I'm not so sure

Master Grim Reaper
    Jan 2007

It would've been so nice if Demigod of Revenge ability triggered not when played,but when it came into play.
    Something along the lines of Turn 1 dark ritual into buried alive,picking 3 of it/Turn 2 reanimate,3 critters in your side and 15 minus life on their side
    Good times with old reanimator ^^
    Team Calavera - Giving Opponents Free Travels Packages to the Underworld since 2007

Turn 1 play a swamp, lotus petal: tap swamp play dark ritual and buried alive and search for 3 Demigod of revenge sac petal and play reanimate targeting demigod lose 5 life, bring back 2 demigods and swing for 15.....pass turn
    The return of a Legend(in his own words)

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    Turn 1 play a swamp, lotus petal: tap swamp play dark ritual and buried alive and search for 3 Demigod of revenge sac petal and play reanimate targeting demigod lose 5 life, bring back 2 demigods and swing for 15.....pass turn
    If it worked that way. It doesn't. You have to actually play the spell. Good thing is, it triggers whether you resolve it or not.

Thread Information