Page 1 of 239 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

[Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Okay guys gonna update the current Ur list and give you a breakdown of alot of tier decks currently in Legacy. Dreadstill has been forced to adapt to a new and faster paced aggro meta which I feel it can very well.

Youtube channel pack full of Dreadstill videos

https://youtube.com/channel/UCPqnUIsv69sOSbN6ImAYxeA

First off, my current list

UR Dreadstill by Rood

4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Scroll of Fate
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Spell Pierce
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Force of Will
    2 True Name Nemesis
    4 Stifle
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Volcanic Island
    3 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland
    4 Island
    1 Mountain

2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Dismember
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Abrade
    2 Agent of Treachery
    2x True Name Nemesis

UW Dreadstill by Fox

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
    3 Teferi, Time Raveler
    2 Karn, the Great Creator
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Noxious Revival
    1 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Supreme Verdict
    4 Force of Will
    1 Arcum's Astrolabe
    1 Scroll of Fate
    1 Search for Azcanta
    2 Standstill
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Island
    1 Karakas
    3 Mishra's Factory
    2 Plains
    3 Prismatic Vista
    1 Tundra
    3 Wasteland

Sideboard
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Cursed Scroll
    1 Porphyry Nodes
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Mastery of the Unseen
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Scroll of Fate
    1 Humility

Card explanations:

Mana Base: Pretty simple concept here. Basic Islands + Fetchlands are savage with Braintrain/Top. Also Wastelands tend to be a valid way to disrupt the oponents mana base and help immensely under Standstill. The factories are also in here to chump random shit like Mongoose and abuse the Standstills as well. Duel is in here only for the sole purpose of EE for 2 in case you need to kill a Goyf or something.
    Nought-Perhaps the most undercosted beater in the game next to Goyf. This is absolutely the heart and soul of this deck and he has the potential to just sometimes pull that "oops i win" game because he is so explosive.
    Trinket Mage- Utility here is the key to this guy...He searches out Nought...EE, Pithing Needle, AND Top. He's helped in so many matches and for sure beat if he needs to.
    Braintrain- Perhaps the most broken blue card in the format. Combine it with Trinket Mages and Fetchies and it's just nutty.
    Daze- This card is a beating...With Standstill there's so many ways to abuse this card ripping 3 cards off the deck of your deck and Dazing your oponents goyf or Confidant.
    Force of Will- No explanation needed. Sheer brokeness.
    Stifle- Combo's with Nought...Counters so many random spells abilities like storm, Deed, EE, Wasteland. It's so versatile it's incredible.
    Counterbalance- Most of the format ranges between 1-3 mana costing things so this card combined with Top can surely shut down the oponent.
    Sensei's Divining top- I've won games just using this to dig for threats. It's wonderful when both you and oponent are in topdeck mode you will almost surely win. Counterbalance+this = game most of the time.
    Pithing Needle- Answers so much stuff and can be grabbed with Trinket.
    Standstill- This card is an absolute beating...most games i draw this in my opening hand I win.
    Spell Snare- 1 Mana counters Goyf and Confidant/Counterbalance. Pretty good if you ask me.
    Trickbind- Savage tech against control decks that aren't expecting it xP
    EE- Blows up chalice, Goyf, also alot of random other stuff like Vial.

Sideboard- This I feel is the most important aspect of the deck and it's adaption process. This board is given flexibility to all the top decks in the format right now (Zoo, Bant, Merfolk, Goblins) I feel that in order for this deck to succeed it has to have a board geared to defeat these decks now as well as retaining power against the Tier 2s.

Matchup Analysis:

RUG- Favorable. They really have no outs to Dreadnought in the first game and post board we can bring in Dismembers/REBs/Pierces to really slow them down and blow up most all their threats they play.

Maverick- Slightly Favorable. I think postboard this match up becomes a lot easier to deal with since we get to bring in 3 Bolts and 3 Dismembers combined with our 4 Lavamancers. Quick thing to watch out for here is to try not to let Ranger resolve...as it can chump our Delvers all day with no drawback.

Ichorid- Unfavorable. We have very little ways to interact with Ichorid in G1 so unless we can find a dreadnought ASAP chances are you're going to lose. Postboard with 3 Crypts, 3 REB, and 3 Pierce you can maybe whether the storm but it's still a very difficult match up for this deck. One of the hardest for sure.

Stoneblade- Favorable. They really have no way to deal with our Standstill engine so you have to abuse it in this match up. We have factories that can kill their jaces when they are played and can sometimes shut down their mana base pretty hard. Post-board bring in 3 REB and 3 Pierce and possible Bolts depending how you feel. Overall I'd say this match up is pretty favorable for Dreadstill.

Reanimator- Unfavorable. Against like Ichorid, this deck has a hard time interacting with this deck mainly because they run alot of disruption and only truly have to resolve one spell to beat us. You can catch a break if they aren't running Iona for sure but even still it's a pretty tough match.

Sligh/Burn- Extremely Favorable. They truly have no way to deal with a quick Dreadnought at all so just try to slow down their onslaught and assemble him as soon as you can. Try to bait out their burn on your dudes so you don't have to eat so much of it to the face.

Show and Tell/Sneak attack- Favorable. We have a lot of ways to shut them out from being able to combo off really. Not to mention you can shut their mana base down extremely hard with Wastelands and Stifles. Post-board with REBs and Pierces it also becomes a lot more manageable for us too.

Rock/Suicide variants- Even. Literally this match up is a complete coin flip. Whoever wins the die roll normally in this match up is going to take down the round. Play the Standstill game if you can, but if not just ride out your Grims and Factories. Try to save Brainstorms if possible to negate their hand disruption.

CounterTop- Even/Slightly Unfavorable- Really CB/Top is a pain for this deck to handle. Thankfully for us, if we can get Delver down before it comes down it may be a lot easier to win. Factory is also stupid good in this match up. Post board you must bring in 3 REBs and 3 Pierce no matter what.[/B]

Sideboard guide- Here's a few tips i've noticed siding that may help you guys out a bit.

Delver (Draw)- OUT- 1x Dreadnought 2x Pierce, 1x FOW, 1x Standstill, 1x Daze, 3x Stifle IN- 1x Abrade, 2x Dismember 2x TNN, 3x REB 1x EE
    (Play)-OUT 2x FOW 3x Pierce 1x Dreadnought 2x Stifle IN- 3x REB, 2x Dismember, 1x Abrade, 2x TNN

Breach (Draw)- OUT- 3x Lightning Bolt, 2x TNN, 1x Dreadnought, 1x Stifle IN 3x Surgical Extraction, 3x REB, 1x EE
    (Play)-OUT 3x Lightning bolt, 2x TNN, 1x Dreadnought IN3x Surgical, 3x REB

Miracles UGW without CB (Draw) OUT- 2x Lightning Bolt, 2x Stifle 1x Dreadnought (or delver)IN- 3x REB, 2x TNN
    (Play)OUT- 2x Lightning Bolt, 2x Stifle, 1x Dreadnought IN 3x REB, 2x TNN

Storm TES (Draw) OUT- 3x Lightning bolt, 1x Dreadnought 2x TNN IN- 3x REB, 2x EE 1x Abrade
    (Play)-Same unless you see xantid swarm- +1 Bolt -1 Scroll of Fate

Dredge (Draw) OUT- 4 Standstill, 2x TNN 1x Daze IN- 3x REB 3x Surgical Extraction 1x EE
    PlayOUT- 4 Standstill, 2x TNN IN- 3x REB, 3x Surgical Extraction

Show and Tell (Draw) OUT- 3x Lightning bolt 2x TNN 1x Phyrexian Dreadnought 1x Stifle IN- 3x REB, 2x Agent of Treachery, 2x Surgical Extraction
    (Play)- Keep same unless you see xantid swarm- -2 Surgical +2 Bolt
    Last edited by Rood; 04-09-2022 at 10:14 AM.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

bring me water!
    Feb 2008

Re: Dreadstill-Enter the Fist

ok rood once again nice deck...and thanks for giving me the decklist a while back.to all you out there i will put a more detailed post up when i find my stinking testing notes.

Nov 2006
    Shelton, CT

A quick suggestion that im see could help you out. I would replace a island for another off color dual to make explosives stronger. You dont realy lose much but you gain more ways to deal with problem cards. Also your Aggro loam MU is definately lower then that. You got lucky the second game against me and first game I made a play mistake and left myself open for a daze. GL with the deck.
    Call me Ishmael

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

It wasn't me at all you faced with Dreadstill it was my teammate(HammafistRoob). I'm going off of my own personal results with the deck. Another nonbasic could be possible I guess but I personally hate Blood Moon enough already as it is.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Feb 2006
    Boston

There was a list that ran Mutavaults over Wastelands - any comment on which is better?

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    There was a list that ran Mutavaults over Wastelands - any comment on which is better?
    Yeah Jaynel, we did test them one tourny but we found without being able to shut off your oponent a specific colored mana (green) for K Grips in specific matchups you will almost certainly have a harder time winning. Wastelands just will win you so many matches simple for a random Stifle/Waste combo on their mana source or denying them of a Trop. To be honest though it was not testing iexcessively

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    I'll add to this one Rood. Neither or better yet, its a meta call.
    Mutavault:
    -Additional Beater under standstill
    -Extra creatures VS. Goblins + other aggro

Wasteland:
    -Tempo for the win denying things like green splashes etc is a great thing.

Basically:
    More Thresh type decks, Wasteland is better
    More aggro based decks like goblins, Mutavault is the way to go.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

I've tested this list to play at a small tournament in Holland a few weeks ago. I found (in testing) that the aggro-MU's are bad to put it short. Also, since this isn't a landstill list (destined to control the game and win on the long term via man-lands and humility), it is basically a MUC-version with a faster clock through the nought-stifle chance. The difference with MUC is, that MUC is a lot more consistent. By that I mean, with MUC, the cards you draw are almost always good at any time. With Dreadstill, there are a lot of cards you don't want to see in most occasions.

For example, I've found that against aggro, you don't get to draw any cards off a standstill besides the first one. Possibly due to bad luck, I always drew lands, dreads (no stifles/trickbinds) or other random useless cards after turn 3. When testing showed me that especially the DS MU is horrible I decided to modify the list or play something else... (a meta-call, DS is highly popular at the moment. Playing a deck that loses or has an unfavourable MU against it, is unwise)

So I modified the list, by replacing the standstills with Ponder's. Ponder works great with Counterbalance and allows you to shuffle away bad cards. With ponders for shuflle effects, you can also cut some fetches and increase the basic land count (great against blood moon / stifles). Without Standstill I also replaced man-lands with islands and academy ruins. Overall this changes the list to MUC with stifle-nought.

Pros:
    + single-color-basicland.DEC is pretty good against all the nonbasic-land hate
    + mono-blue supports maindeck Shackles
    + dread-stifle ftw
    + no Standstill means you get to draw cards in all MU's

Cons:
    - Dreadstill without Standstill is MUc (<- not a capital C)
    - Moat (although this is a problem for Dreadstill too)
    - no man-lands means less beaters, so slower clock

FYI, chalice@1 is very hard to remove with a 3sphere in play (you need 3 colorless mana to drop a EE@0)

I can post a decklist of the deck I ended up with for those who are interested.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I'm not entirely sure how you're playing against DS but I've excessively tested that matchup the most and say it's quite favorable for us. Chills, Echoing Truths, Krosan Grips all hurt their lock/win conditions. Standstills have only been dead sometimes for me, most of the time however they are always a solid draw 3 card. If your meta is filled with Aggro I'd recommend cutting wastelands from my list and adding in Mutavaults. That could most likely solve your issue.

Sideboard:
    -3 Counterbalance
    -1 Standstill
    -1 Spell Snare
    -1 Pithing Needle

+3 Chill
    +2 Echoing Truth
    +1 Grip

bring me water!
    Feb 2008

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

hmm yea cutting the standstills is very very bad. standstill is a win win card.against aggro they have no choice but to pop it if they want to win. One thing to remember is this is a extremely hard deck to play and win alot with. anyone can do a turn 2 naught and go oops i win but what happans when a turn 2 naught will actually lose you the game.If you find yourself not doing well with dreadstill it may be time to switch to a stifle naught plan without the dreadstill package.You will be playing a worse deck but the option is there.this deck is very hard to play learn the deck inside and out if you want to be good with it.This is not a deck you can just pick up and play you have to play it and learn it.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by JanValentine00 View Post
    I'll add to this one Rood. Neither or better yet, its a meta call.
    Mutavault:
    -Additional Beater under standstill
    -Extra creatures VS. Goblins + other aggro

Wasteland:
    -Tempo for the win denying things like green splashes etc is a great thing.

Basically:
    More Thresh type decks, Wasteland is better
    More aggro based decks like goblins, Mutavault is the way to go.
    I don't think I can agree with this. Mutavault was just an interesting idea I wanted to try. Basically this is what I did to Roods green list.

-3 Wasteland
    +2 Mutavault
    +1 Fetch

I wanted to abuse the Standstills more by adding in more manlands. But to be honest I think I would have done much better in the tourney if I just kept the Wastelands in. Mainly because I would have been able to keep my opponent off green mana, therefore not be worried about Krosan Grip. Wasteland is actually better against Goblins for that reason, their only answers to Dreadnought are Grip (try to turn off Green mana) and Weirding(counterable). Mutavault is just not so great in the deck.
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 03-21-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Feb 2007
    San Diego

I picked up this deck recently for testing purposes, and I am having a very difficult time against vial goblins and landstill, neither of which can you play your draw engine (standstill), leaving you with littlerally no draw in the deck (you do have filter cards like top, but that is CQ not CA)... I just do not see this being able to do well at my meta (plenty of landstillesque decks/landstill decks).

The thresh MU is good, I will admit, as with the combo MU... but I just do not see me playing this to much success at my meta... Is there a list you may have that runs something other than standstll? There was my varient, but it also lost to landstill (read agro-control vs control in general).

I was thinking of playing a more landstillesque build with a red splash for tempo, the list would look like adan's build of LS:

lands//23
    4 mishra's factory
    2 wasteland
    1 tolaria west
    1 academy ruins
    3 faerie conclave
    4 volcanic island
    1 bloodstained mire
    1 polluted delta
    1 flooded strand
    1 wooded foothills
    1 mountain
    1 seat of the synod
    2 island

creatures//6
    4 trinket mage
    2 phyrexian dreadnought

spells//29
    4 standstill
    4 force of will
    4 brainstorm
    4 stifle
    1 trickbind
    4 lightning bolt
    3 counterspell
    3 repeal
    1 engineered explosives
    2 sensei's divining top

sideboard//
    2 pyroclasm
    4 tormod's crypt
    4 Blue elemental blast
    3 red elemental blast
    2 pithing needle

Sure, it may not seem as aggressive, but it is a lot more agressively controlling, using tempo to strengthen your board position until you feel safe enough to go for the kill, it also makes you a lot less relient on the dreadnought kill, as they have to deal with your manlands as well. You will also play a very good game against other standstill packing decks with your own land package... This build is just theoretical.

You only need to have 1 basic island out to deal with moon now, just bounce it with repeal EOT and do your stuff on your turn... this is how I would play this variant at least.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

IF your meta is filtered with Goblins and Landstill I would highly recommend sideboarding 3-4 Back to Basics seeing as that was Dreadstill's best answer to all the nonbasics Landstill runs. A well timed B2B against Landstill can win you the game. One advantage Dreadstill has is the ability to run quite a few solid basic lands. It was the original purpose I had put them into my side. Considering your meta I would have to agree-your list looks alot more solid against Goblins and Landstill builds. Why only two clasms Sb? Also may i recommend~

-3 Counterspell
    +3 Counterbalance (Since you run top)

Sideboard
    -1 BEB
    +1 Pyroclasm

awesomeness
    Jul 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post

You only need to have 1 basic island out to deal with moon now, just bounce it with repeal EOT and do your stuff on your turn... this is how I would play this variant at least.
    Uhh, BtB is your Mainweapon against landstill in all variants. And the red splash gives the list not what it need to handle bad matchups.
    The list seems more like an old U/R Landstill List with a Trinket-Toolbox.

At the moment i'am testing black for Bob instead of Standstill and no Factorys Oo, but im just testing all kinds of colors, decklist in progress ...
    Last edited by Ch@os; 03-22-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Me and my teammate (vanele) both T4'd split the recent Rhode Island tournament playing Dreadstill. It was a 24 man tournament. It was a top 4 split amongt me (Roodmistah), vanele, Jaynel, and my teammate Stoohgenstein. Total winnings totaled to 375$ cash @___@. Me and my teammate will both post our tournament reports in the tournament reports section soon.
    Last edited by Rood; 03-23-2008 at 12:19 AM.

Look, I'll let this pencil disappear...
    Jul 2007
    Germany, near Hamburg

Gratz. I'd like to see that report, your list and your Sideboard
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenieBopper View Post
    We live in a country were ~50% of the populace believe public schooling is a socialist conspiracy and that being called Einstein is an insult. We could try and fix it, but unfortunately the other 50% don't believe in euthanasia.

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Good jorb! I think I might go about trying to make this deck!

bring me water!
    Feb 2008

way to go rood on the t8 go dreadstill go
    Last edited by neckfire; 03-23-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I watched Rodney's Top 8 games against Rich Shay playing UGR Thresh. I think Rodney should have lost game2 but Rich didn't have any creatures in play for like 8 turns in a row and was getting smashed on by Factories. They were pretty well played games on both sides of the table, in the end Rodney took it down in Game3.
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 03-25-2008 at 04:23 PM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

So when are you and Woob's reports coming?
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Thread Information