Page 221 of 239 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Bryant cook got that damn god draw on you

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

i played a few rounds of UB on cockatrice. This deck has some problems with lands.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    I’ve been on 4 Tarns 3 Delta side basic mountain at least 2 weeks now. Its just proper to win the delver and loam MUs

You also want some # of dispels in your Sb. Veil is a volatile magic card
    Do you mean literal Dispels or dispel-like cards (Pyroblast/Hydroblast/etc.)? I've been playing a Dispel in my Shadow sideboard and love it, but a lot of people shit on it for being too narrow. I think it's overall very good in all the matchups where you want to win stack wars.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Do you mean literal Dispels or dispel-like cards (Pyroblast/Hydroblast/etc.)? I've been playing a Dispel in my Shadow sideboard and love it, but a lot of people shit on it for being too narrow. I think it's overall very good in all the matchups where you want to win stack wars.
    Yeah, he ws literally playing two copies of Dispel in the sideboard, when I was able to tune into the stream last night. Unfortunately I missed most of it and seems VODs are not available for some reason (I don't really know how that works on Twitch).
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Aug 2019
    Berlin | Canberra | NYC

I think Dispel over Flusterstorm is uniquely playable with Standstill, since they can make land drops and then calmly play their Swords, Ritual, Veil and other countermagic around stuff like Pierce &, to a lesser extent, F.storm.

@Rood: managed to catch the final 2 matches of the 1st league & a bit of the deck tech talk after. Much appreciated. It would be amazing if you'd do more of these in the future and possibly put up the videos, too (I'm in Europe & won't be able to watch much live at that hour..).

Sep 2019
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    i played a few rounds of UB on cockatrice. This deck has some problems with lands.
    Mind posting the list? :)
    Dreadstill

"Control"(tr.v.): To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over; direct."

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by crispymelee View Post
    Mind posting the list? :)
    3 Scroll of Fate
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Brazen Borrower
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Fatal Push
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    3 Wasteland
    2 Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Mystic Sanctuary
    1 Bitterblossom

2 Plague Engineer
    2 Gate to Phyrexia
    3 Mystical Dispute
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Divert
    1 Dismember
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Bitterblossom

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Ive been extremely underwhelmed by brazen borrower. Im on 2 bob main 1 board for UB. Also want planar void or Leyline over surgical for black splash.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    Ive been extremely underwhelmed by brazen borrower. Im on 2 bob main 1 board for UB. Also want planar void or Leyline over surgical for black splash.
    That's a good point. but brazen gets ride of the card we cannot handle, which is depths

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Ill be streaming tonight around 10 for anyone interested
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Sep 2019
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by KobeBryan View Post
    That's a good point. but brazen gets ride of the card we cannot handle, which is depths
    This is the exact reason I have 2x main on non-UW.

When you mentioned your list had issues with lands, what did you mean? Flooded out or couldnt get the colors you need? 7 non-colored mana sources seems like a lot.

Your UB main looks exactly like mine, except the land distribution is different (3/3 factory/waste, 2/3/1 USea/Island/Swamp, 8 fetches) and instead of 2x Pierce I have 2x Karn, since I'm expecting games to be grindier compared to UR.

I have Murderous Rider out of the side on mine, but given its casting cost, I'm considering Noxious Grasp in its place.
    Dreadstill

"Control"(tr.v.): To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over; direct."

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Lands and depths are borderline 40/60 MUs they are played so little on paper im becoming less concerned (tabernacle).

May 2015
    PDX

10 decks in the room: Stryfo Pile, R/G OkoLands, Maverick-Depths, Stasis (think UW miracles with 2x Teferi, HDom and 2x Stasis), Elves!, Eldrazi Aggro, DnT, BUG Dreadnought/Horror/Torpor, Antiquities War (Tezz variant), and manifest destiny.

Round 1 vs DnT (2-0): I'm on the play vs 1-land 2x Vial keep, I bounce Vial #1 before it gets to two (opponent replays). I untap, get to 4th mana and Karn, game over. Game 2 opponent doesn't have a Vial, but begins to pull ahead with Thalia/Revoker on Teferi/Tomik; I play Porphyry Nodes killing Thalia and am able to hold up Karn + Stifle. Opponent has hard decision on CJ, and chooses to hit Nodes, but falls to Plow on Revoker and Teferi [-3] on Tomik into Karn wish Coating. There was a Dreadnought off Scroll somewhere in game 2 which got a hit in and gained me 12 life, but it was Karn's LD that ended this one.

Round 2 vs Maverick-Depths (2-1): Game 1 I win the die roll and lead Fetch, opponent plays Stage, I untap play Wasteland and make a Nought, opponent plays Bayou and concedes (never getting to Decay). Game 2 and 3 are really strange and it's mostly Cursed Scroll vs Choke; I end up winning game 3 by activating Mastery of the Unseen 2x while opponent topdecks lands. Of note in these games, remember that Giver of Runes cannot protect itself - I was only focusing on the protection from colorless aspect Mother of Runes doesn't have, and forgot this one couldn't protect itself from Scroll.

Round 3 vs StryfoPile (2-0): I'm on the play leading Fetch, pass. Opponent plays Fetch and pass, I play second Fetch and they play second Fetch. On their EoT I Fetch once and Brainstorm, untap and crack other Fetch; opponent responds with Fetch Volc and crack second Fetch (Stifle) and I Waste Volc. The game ended once Karn wished Crucible and their Dack [-2] was Stifled and Factory took him out (Wasteland lock took over, no more 3 mana for them). Game 2 they lead basic Island into Grove (Wastelanded), crack a Fetch (Stifle), I then get RiP and Teferi down and they concede as their first Snapcaster eats a Plow and the second will never get through Factory. Their lands at the end were basic Island and Forest.

Round 4 vs Elves! (Intentional Draw, but we played for fun and I went 1-2)

Many, many lands died today. Take away points are always nuke StyrfoPile's yard and exile their P-Fires with FoN, Astrolabe + Azcanta is pretty good at ignoring Choke, and stopping DnT's mana-cheating Vials with Karn is an effective strategy. The only SB card I didn't board in or wish for today was Scroll of Fate.

The only other card I've been contemplating lately is Warping Wail, which has some text against Veil. Bonus points for hitting Xantid Swarm and Arcane Artisan, getting around Mother of Runes, and taking out all the ETB value duders. Let's be honest though, it's all about making that 1/1 on their end step and untapping into Standstill.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I have a new list you should all be very excited about. I took this to the ELD monthly on saturday and got 5th place. Losing in the top 8 to a topdecked lightning bolt with opponent at lethal dmg on board.

Also just hit trophy #6 first attempt with the new list on MTGO!!

4x FOW
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Daze
    4x Stifle
    4x Dreadnought
    4x Delver of Secrets
    3x Scroll of Fate
    3x Lightning Bolt
    2x True-Name Nemesis
    4x Standstill
    4x Spell Pierce
    4x Scalding Tarn
    3x Polluted Delta
    4x Island
    1x Mountain
    3x Mishra's Factory
    3x Wasteland
    2x Volcanic Island'

SB:
    2x True Name Nemesis
    2x EE
    3x REB
    3x Surgical Extraction
    1x Abrade
    2x Dismember
    2x Agent of Treachery

So the new old friend back is of course the mighty TNN. I cant even begin to tell you guys how incredible he's been back in the list. Having the ability to totally disregard opponents removal is something we were sorely missing. I've found a way to incorporate him into the deck while keeping scrolls as well. 2 main 2 SB. Also the 5 basics in the list and the 3 factory has been great. Allows us to just absolutely hose and crush the Delver and harder matchups we once had. So since the list has been put together this has been my results..

4-1-2 at ELDs monthly (Taking 5th place overall 32 players)

5-0 MTGO league. Hope to hear some feedback on the new list.

Updated the primer with the current list. Fox can we keep your most recent list for the primer as well?

May 2015
    PDX

That list is still current, no changes from list on first page. What were your opponents on in your last 5-0?

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    That list is still current, no changes from list on first page. What were your opponents on in your last 5-0?
    BUG astro
    Elves
    UR Delver
    UWG Helm/RIP/Energy field control
    URW Breach

TNN put in work especially in the first 3 matches

Sep 2019
    SoCal

Worst performance I've had since returning to Legacy; went 0-3 -> drop at the latest Knight-Ware. I think a lack of confidence in my list, along with poor in-game decisions really did me in.

Rd 1: UWR Breach - L, 1-2 (0-1 overall)
    Completely unprepared for the deck.
    G1: I'm able to murder his Teferi with Delver and Factories. Permission keeps Dack down and Sevinne's Reclamation from going off. A Dreadnought beats him down before I can see what the deck does.
    G2/G3: Both games, I drew neither the permission nor the GY-hate necessary to keep him from Brainfreezing me to death. G3 he sided in Mentors, and I'm quickly overwhelmed by a swarm of Monks.

Rd 2: Dredge - L, 0-2 (0-2 overall)
    Really wished I packed Leylines > Surgical Extractions
    G1: Delver is the only threat I draw, and he refuses to flip. I'm actually milled out of the game with Altar of Dementia fuelled by Zombie tokens, Hogaak, and Vengevine. Smartly uses it to thoroughly examine my deck.
    G2: Cabal Therapies do their work, and I'm stripped of the Dreadnought and Stifle I have in hand. I find none of my GY-hate, and unflipped Delvers only delay the inevitable beatdown from Hogaak (why does he have trample), Bloodghast, and Vengevines

Rd 3: UR Delver - L, 0-2 (0-3 overall)
    Best shot at taking a match; also the match I played with the most mistakes.
    G1: On the draw, we each open up with Island -> Delver -> Go. I think the mistake here was to try and jam Standstill T2 instead of waiting to Stifle his T2 fetch that he left up in an attempt to either attack his mana or discard permission. Standstill resolves, but the three cards don't draw me anything relevant. I'm drowning in lands and my T3 Nought "hardcast" and T4 JtMS each eat permission. I stick Scroll as a result, but can't find a 2nd Nought in time to Manifest.
    G2: On the play, and I manage an early Factory under Standstill. Factory beats for a few turns, and he wisely waits until I have a full grip to Bolt the Factory on my endstep. Incredibly, I drew nothing to protect the Factory. Once again, I drown in lands and by the time a Scroll shows up to Manifest a Nought, I'm too low on life to make the comeback.

Gonna go back to UW and keep tinkering with UG/Bant ideas. Dropping Noughts are still fun, but unfamiliarity and rough matchups are difficult to overcome. As always, my greatest opponent continues to be myself.
    Dreadstill

May 2015
    PDX

@crispymelee
    It sounds like your Breach opponent wasn't really all-in on the combo if they were playing Dack and Sevinne, so one of the more important things to determine (as best you can) is how far they've deviated from a stock list [i.e. does maindeck have StP, Mentor/Snapcaster? Are you seeing any Petals with LED? Do they have Orim's Chant, E. Tutor? etc...]. The use of Dack and Sevinne's is highly aberrant, and automatically makes them less likely to go off early. When they show jank like that, you likely don't need more yard hate than Surgical provides. Between 3 and 4x REBs are also coming in. You'll also want Abrade [Dack user], and Sulfur Elemental (if you have it). Leave most-to-all Stifle in (their deck folds to mana denial, and it hits Dack and storm trigger). It's unlikely that you have to Nought them out, so I'd be looking at -2 Nought -2 Scroll, -1 basic Mountain*. I'd be happy with a Bolt out for every Abrade, and -2 Daze on the draw**.
    *If you're on Vista and Tarn, better to leave Mountain in.
    **if you're seeing Silence effects, Pierce will remain favored over Daze on the play. If you're on Snare, they're the first countermagic cuts (especially if they're on Silence effects).

Some general rules for this m/u:
    -If no Petals -> Surgical LED kills combo. That's a key point about Petal and Grinding Station; this combination makes Petal perform exactly like LED
    -Surgical Breach is usually best use.
    -If they're self-milling stop at two points and assess. Point 1 - trigger on the stack weigh Stifle the storm trigger versus countering Brain Freeze [trigger on stack] -> Surgical Freeze (they need to be out of mana or extra cards in yard to recast). Point 2 - as cards are being milled 3 at a time [with at least one spell on the stack], check if their countermagic is down (they can't alt-cast FoW b/c escape is the alternate cost), then ask yourself "if they milled a Mentor, can you beat it or do I need to Surgical it."
    -If they're trying to play Breach like Elvish Visionary (as in Breach, replay Teferi, bounce Breach, repeat), you can surgical Teferi.
    -If you have things like Narset/Ashiok/BEB, bring those in.
    -There should be no TNNs in a post-board deck.
    -Teferi on 3 loyalty using [-3] ability can be Stifled (he's in the yard now with ability on stack).
    -If you do play Noxious Revival and have it in hand, you refill your library in your upkeep (or their end step, after Breach is sacrificed if you have or are playing around FoN) and let your opponent deck out.
    -If you run Karn and wish for Crypt they die, this endgame goal will dominate your play patterns.

^Hopefully Rood can get the twitch streams to record, we had a pretty good discussion of lines, tactics, and SB strategies vs Breach. Their deck was consistently losing Rood when I was watching. Maybe @Rood remembers some of the specifics of opening hand appraisal and SB strat?
    ---
    Your R2 opponent wasn't Dredge (LED/Ichorid/Cephalid/dredgers), but rather Hogaak (Bloodghast/Stitcher's Supplier). I would not want Pierce nor Snare in my deck postboard against Hogaak, and I'd also be cutting ~3x Standstill. In either of these matches, it's important to keep tabs on Dreadnought and Wasteland + animated Factory as vindicate Bridge from Below on command. Stifle vs first Altar trigger post-Gaak is often a point of weakness for them. Remember that Bloodghast, Carrion Feeder, and Gravecrawler can't block. Keep opponent's honest with Vengevine, it will only trigger at the time of the second creature cast (not the 3rd and beyond).

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Breach is a tough MU i typically lose game 1. You have to try to restrict the first few turns i often will counter a brainstorm and try to hold up stifles on fetch. This is one MU where dispel truly shines. Hitting Veil FOW and chant is pretty large.

Dreadstill streams going live at 10 PM!

Aug 2019
    Berlin | Canberra | NYC

@Rood: really digging your move towards streaming, and from what I've seen you're a natural in talking through decision points clearly and intelligently. So I just want to encourage you to keep going and, if at all possible, record and put up those leagues before they get lost in the aether. Another great place to advertise your streams in real time (better than posting a heads-up in this thread?) would be the LaL FB group; there seems to be a bit of interest in the deck currently, thanks to the 5-0's, and who better to watch than the original Dreadstill creator?

Also, if you ever get around to updating the primer here and adding that SB guide, it'd be much appreciated.

Thread Information