Page 226 of 239 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

May 2015
    PDX

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Without enough 1-drop threats, you can’t really afford to play Daze. The way [non-12/12] Delver/Daze/Wasteland decks work is 8/4/2 structure (8x 1-drop, 4x 2-drop, 2x payoff dudes); if you don’t have enough 1-drops to reliably open games with a threat you’re going to start dying b/c you drew Daze in a game that will go long b/c of the lack of early clock. After DRS was banned, pretty much every Delver pilot forgot the basics of deck construction (particularly Grixis) and continued to play Daze while tanking 1-drop threats to 4x Delver only. On top of this, their mana curves have drifted up to the 2-3cmc cost point (Dreadhorde/Goyf, Oko/Klothys) and now they’re also ramping up SB Winter Orb use which is increasingly self-crippling.

The moment you concentrate on 2-drop threats (we’ll call Brazen a 2-drop), you’re saying [insert 2-drop] has a great matchup vs Ice-Fang/Strix and their turn 3+ followups of SCM/Uro/PWs (this is unlikely to be the case). You’re also shunting mana away from casting Standstill on that turn 2, when we’re not talking about Shadow. The most important thing about Delver is that it’s a turn 1 threat that, regardless of flipping quickly or not, allows us to profitably alt-cast Daze or add pressure to a followup Standstill. When Delver doesn’t flip, any Fetches will add card selection through pseudo-scrying, which is a more powerful effect than flooding out on Lavamancers or any other U or R 1-drop. As a block though, I agree that Delver and Daze, as a package, are on the chopping block in the Dreadstill’s future.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, that all makes sense. In UB Shadow there are other 1-drop options (Gurmag, Reanimate>Street Wraith) that can pressure opponents. Gurmags don't land on turn 1, but playing a turn 1 Thoughtseize is perfectly fine for that deck.

The other alternative is to just jam a split of Force of Negation and Spell Snare/Spell Pierce. It isn't 'free' like Daze, but without the t1 Delver to split decision making, leaving up a Snare/Pierce is fine. I think the plan of early permission and bouncing their threat with Borrower into a Standstill seems very, very good. This is what I meant by leaning more into Standstill/mid-game rather than early pressure. The idea isn't to replace Delver with Borrower as a less efficient threat, but rather a way to leverage Standstill better.

EDIT: I'm really surprised to see a lack of Spell Snare in your list. It's always been a very good inclusion in Dreadstill.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

There isn’t really room for those as long as we’re testing Shark’nado. The only other ways to make space would be -1 Daze and/or -1 Scroll. As far as Scroll goes, I’d prefer to replace that with Karn. This would warp the SB strategy however, including the re-introduction of the cut Scroll to the SB.

Spell Snare lost playability when Wrenn and Breach got banned. It doesn’t do enough vs Veil, Oko, or SnT. If you’re freeing up 2 slots, FoN’s exile clause is more likely to result in a win. When Oko is banned Hymn/Snapcaster and CB/Snapcaster decks will reoccupy the ~20-30% meta share this nonsense generally occupies, barring the printing of velocity-positive cards that entirely invalidate their playability (Breach, Wrenn, Oko). If this were to happen, I might value heavier dedication to Snare.

Aug 2019
    Berlin | Canberra | NYC

Agree that Delver/Daze seem to be on the edge of playability with Standstill, as Sharknado bring so much more flexibility and synergy for that plan.

As for my tempo list:

latest tweaks:
    cut the 3rd Whale for blue fetch #9 to up the land count to 19 (14 blue sources).
    cut SB Flusterstorm for Pierce #2
    (close call, but we don't need the extra help vs. spellbased combo and Pierce hopefully works well enough vs. red blasts and Veils.)
    cut SB Null Rod for Winter Orb #2

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ... Cling to Dust ... Entomb ... Vista ... Chalice ... Scroll and/or Karn... Teferi’s Realm ... Snare/Fluster/FoN
    Always appreciate your feedback @Fox, but you're off the mark a couple times here I think. Try to approach my deck from the Ponder/Tempo mindset.

The maindeck Dreadnought plan is built to a) offset card DA (4-5 slots Bobs & Whales), b) protect our 7 fragile must-kills (Misdirection), and c) maximize flexibility (2 Drown, 2 Brazen). The list tucks a number of perfectly maindeckable cards in the SB: FoN, Cling, Snare, Pierce#2, Push#2, and E.E.. Depending on local meta, any of them could move to the MD at some point.

FoN is the closest one and implies a pretty intricate pro/con assessment. It's one of our best Whale buybacks, but it can't protect a Stiflenought and brings more card DA. I'd much rather have the Brazen Bois for Chalice, followed next turn either by discard or a 12/12 (and many Chalice decks can't beat that G1 since Abrade/Cratermaker fell out of favor and Karn-->Bridge is slow and gives us time to interact.) Approaching this from a tempo player's perspective, preboard we're not that much softer to Chalice than UR Delver (uncastable Dreadnought only slightly worse than shut-off Arcanist): The 75 has 3 outs to a resolved Chalice, along the 5 Forces plus Snare, Pierce, and Thoughtseizes (otD). I love Teferi's Realm as much as anyone, but sadly as long as the 2019 PWs are a thing in Legacy I just can't spare a slot for it. fwiw I'd rather add a 2nd E.E. as it doubles as creature removal in a removal-light deck.

Similarly, I'm a sucker for a mini Entomb package (been doing that in Jund Phoenix), but there just isn't enough synergy with the rest of the plan here to make it viable. Again: Petty Theft is an ok-enough answer to Uro if I'm also applying pressure, and I'm not aiming to warp into some kind of anti-Snow machine preboard.

Karn is too slot- and mana-intensive, and just not my style.

postboard vs. Snow I can run:
    4 Delver
    2 Bob
    2 Whale
    1 P Engineer
    3 TNN (3rd one might become a Bitterblossom)
    2 Winter Orb

20 Tempo, Stifle (-1or2 Daze/Stifle OTD)
    3 TS
    2 Drown
    1 Push / E.E.?
    1 FoN
    2 Pierce
    1 Snare
    1 Mind Harness --> gonna be the new Eliminate
    1 Cling
    1 Surgical

1-2 WL
    9 Fetches
    3 Island
    2 USea

on Vista: Swamp is the worst card in the deck and I'll try to cut it whenever possible vs. control and combo. So no Vistas.

This plan leans on Orbs and requires tight play, but between Stifle, Daze, Pierce, Drown, and TS I like our chances to trip them on mana & clunky spells enough to get under. Reference point is, again, UR Delver's SB plan, with Bob/Whale mimicking Arcanist's chance of snowballing.

Considerations/close cuts: 1 Scroll/JVP/Bob#3/Whale#3; 1 Tale's End/Reality Shift; Hydroblast (for open metas); MD E.E./2nd SB E.E.; SB/MD allocation of the counter package of 2 Pierce/1Snare/1FoN/1Misdirection.

Final consideration is still always splashing 1-2 Volcs for 3 red blasts and 2 Abrades.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by FistaCuffSmith View Post
    For reference here is my list:

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Prismatic Vista
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Scroll of Fate
    2 Shark Typhoon
    5 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    4 Standstill
    1 Steam Vents
    4 Stifle
    2 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Wasteland

1 Abrade
    2 Brazen Borrower
    1 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Magmatic Sinkhole
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Shenanigans
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Surgical Extraction
    Looks pretty good. I think 3-4 Shark Typhoon is probably correct. We just have so many ways to go over the top or sit under a Standstill now. I like the list. Not really sure how we supported the Delver plan with only 20 instants and sorceries now. Probably will have to shave the Dreadnought package potentially or draw the line in the sand and cut the Delvers. I personally would rather cut DN before I cut Delver but that's just me.

4 Delver 4 Shark 4 True Name 4 Standstill leaves room for 24 Instants/Sorceries and since we dont have Dreadnought anymore we get to run the mighty Ponder which I know many of you have already tried fitting in this deck (OVER Stifles.) If you cut Delver I'm not sure where this deck really goes. But either way...this deck will undergo a big transformation with Shark I can forsee. The Wasteland count would have to be 4 with this change as well.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post
    Looks pretty good. I think 3-4 Shark Typhoon is probably correct. We just have so many ways to go over the top or sit under a Standstill now. I like the list. Not really sure how we supported the Delver plan with only 20 instants and sorceries now. Probably will have to shave the Dreadnought package potentially or draw the line in the sand and cut the Delvers. I personally would rather cut DN before I cut Delver but that's just me.

4 Delver 4 Shark 4 True Name 4 Standstill leaves room for 24 Instants/Sorceries and since we dont have Dreadnought anymore we get to run the mighty Ponder which I know many of you have already tried fitting in this deck (OVER Stifles.) If you cut Delver I'm not sure where this deck really goes. But either way...this deck will undergo a big transformation with Shark I can forsee. The Wasteland count would have to be 4 with this change as well.
    Dreadstill without dreadnought. I like it

May 2015
    PDX

Semiotician and me on the call ran back same UR list to another 4-1. Match 1 vs Astrid’s sorc speed copying the Edict Enchantment & Omen of the Sea (2-0). Match 2 UR Delver (2-0). Match 3 ANT (2-0). Match 4 Loam (2-1). Match 5 UBR Welder tribal with Thopter Sword (1-2).

Boarding was something like:
    -Astrid: I think it was something like 3 REB in, 2 Chandra ToD in. -2 Daze, -1 Standstill, -2 Bolt.
    -UR Delver: +2 Abrade, +2 REB. -2 Daze, -2 Standstill.
    -ANT: +2 Surgical, +2 Ashiok, +1 Izzet Staticaster. -3 Bolt, -2 Daze. Might have brought in some REB effects and EE, can’t remember.
    -Loam: +2 Surgical, +2 Ashiok, +2 Chandra ToD, +1 uncounterable Chandra, +2 Abrade. -4 Daze, -2 Standstill, -1 Delver, -2 Bolt.
    -Welder tribal: +2 Abrade, +2 Ashiok, +2 Surgical, +2 Chandra ToD, +1 Staticaster. -4 Daze, -1 Shark’Nado, -2 TNN, -1 Stifle, -1 Standstill.

Astrid stuff lacked enough intent to win a game of legacy (too much durdle) and didn’t pack necessary legacy effects (unable to interact with EoT dudes, and it kinda needs TNN to be widely played to farm wins from). UR Delver fell to Standstill allowing us to play the same strat, except bigger. ANT got Wasted out in G1 and dismantled by Ashiok in G2. Loam got burned out by Lavamancer/TNN/Dreadnought, and Ashiok severely crippled them. In the last game of this match Oko and Uro were stamped out by uncounterable Chandra [+2] emblems, cast through a Thalia. Welder Tribal games were interesting, interactive, and close; sadly from 1 card in hand they topdecked 2nd Foundry in a 1 turn window and got the win in game 3. Lots of ways to SB vs them, but I was pretty happy with not bringing in REB effects (only blue cards were Brainstorm, Foundry, and maybe Ponder). I don’t think their list had any 1BR Daretti, which felt like a card they should have in deck (this was Leaving a Legacy crew piloting iirc, maybe their podcast has some discussion of their sweet decklist!).

Really fun games, well-played by all opponents, and a more diverse field than the previous 4-1. You can watch the game vs Loam on Anzidmtg’s VoD.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

Quote Originally Posted by Rood View Post

I like the idea. Stifles and Standstills are good together only with Phyrexian Dreadnought to my view.

3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Wasteland
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Polluted Delta
    4 Volcanic Island
    2 Island

2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Dreadhorde Arcanist
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    3 Shark Typhoon

4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt
    1 Vapor Snag
    1 Pyroblast

4 Standstill

I like Brazen Borrower a lot, especially with Standstill.
    When you draw 3 with in the opponent's turn, Petty Thefting their permanent and them playing another Standstill in your turn is very good.
    And I like having 6 cc2 strong drops (4 Standstill 2 Arcanist) even I know you cannot play Arcanists' spells under Standstill.
    Arcanist is such a strong card and can give you card advantage even in the matchs you side out Standstills on g2/g3 (against Dark Depth for example).

What do you think Rood ?

May 2015
    PDX

@serendib the manabase has some issues that will cause statistically significant losses by itself. You’re heavy on Sharks (need 4 mana to kill a Delver), so push total up to 21:
    4x Tarn
    4x Vista
    3x Wasteland
    3x Factory
    2x Volc
    4x Island
    1x Mountain
    You can’t afford to expose Wasteland’able red lands early (this will ruin your transition to mid-late game).

You have 22 cards that can flip a Delver, and not enough reliable Dreadhorde fodder. You’re flooded on creatures (a card type that hurts Delver and Dreadhorde) that don’t really solve a problem as simple as one enemy Goyf, outside of stalling with TNN. Dreadhorde is pretty terrible under a Standstill, while Snare would help with the dying to Goyf problem...so Dreadhorde gets axed. Your list went overboard with Brazen Borrower x2 maindeck, so you really don’t need Vapor Snag. Pyroblast main is more edgy than reliable, but it’s probably fine.

If you’ve addressed the Goyf problem, you now need a plan for the Uro/Oko lifegain engines - they gain 3 life per turn, which matches your max damage output per card per turn. Every time they gain 3 life you effectively lose a card or lose an attack. Deck manipulation with Ponder can’t assemble a plan to beat those levels of lifegain which also leave behind overpowered, hard to deal with permanents (remember, Oko is the most broadly played wincon in the format). The UR color set does not have reliable* tools hard-counter Uro/Oko, so you have to attack on a completely different angle, while Ponder can only find more attacks from the same angles (the same angles being the ones that lose to Oko/Uro).

*remember Veil counters REB on the stack so you have to let it resolve before Blasting, and then deal with an Elk or another Uro trigger.

There’s no suggestion for cards that just autowin vs Uro/Oko in UR because such cards don’t exist; the best help is don’t lose to your own manabase and have a plan vs Goyf.

May 2010
    bologna, italy

@serendib the manabase has some issues that will cause statistically significant losses by itself. You’re heavy on Sharks (need 4 mana to kill a Delver), so push total up to 21:
    4x Tarn
    4x Vista
    3x Wasteland
    3x Factory
    2x Volc
    4x Island
    1x Mountain
    You can’t afford to expose Wasteland’able red lands early (this will ruin your transition to mid-late game).
    Against non Wasteland Decks , basics mountain would always to the side. Vista don't get Volcanic. So no Vistas.
    But more important, you consistently want to be able to play turn 1 bolt turn 2 standstill if needed.
    With your manabase, there is not that consistency and you lose important timing options.
    You don't want to have [ Vista + Colorless Land + Bolt + Standstill ] and being forced to chose between Island and Mountain.

One more note on manabase. With 4 Daze I would never go more than 20 lands.
    You don't want to play daze and find yourself with 3/4 lands in hand. It would be a virtual card disadvantage.

Vapor Snag is just another way you can set a turn 2 Standstill, which is THE key card of the deck
    (the Shark thing by its own is no more than a funny draft card in 2020, same as Scroll, Karn used as a cc4 sorcery tutor etc.).

On Deadhorne you might be wright. It could possibily go to the side. -But you anyway need to find a smooth way to have card advantage regardless Standstill which is not good against some decks. Anyway, If you get Arcanist online, you are happy (14 cc1 spells is ok).
    If you stick Standstill in a nice board position, you are happy. It's a win-win option I would not be afraid of.

Sure in the side 2 Submerge would enter.
    Against a resolved Oko, attacking it with Nemesis and Bolt it is the most obvious way to get rid of it. Otherwise Blast it or bounce it.
    Yes they get 3 lifes anyway. The key against those decks is not to have the perfect solution and think about "if... if..." but resolving Standstill and play aggressively.

May 2015
    PDX

I’ve played years on Standstill and Dreadstill, and I can safely tell you that the most reliable way to lose a game is having a dual land in your opening hand or aggressively Fetching a dual. When they printed Vista, win % jumped significantly. You’re also playing 3x Shark’nado, so you need to hit your land drops b/c your 4th turn [assuming you’ve cast no Daze yet] will be the first time you can challenge an opponent’s Delver with a 2/2 Shark. This Daze vs Shark tension is not insignificant, and getting hit by opponent Wasteland [even 1x] can easily put your deck into a death spiral. One of the most important things to recognize about the combination of Vista and Shark’nado is that it’s even harder to punish you for grabbing basic Island early (even with red cards in hand), because now you can spam Standstills into pretty much any 1-drop creature (and decks that play 1-drop creatures reliably play Wasteland). When that Standstill is cracked, you’ve got a pretty good chance of finding your red mana, and the red card in your hand [should you have 8+ cards in the end step] can be cast to avoid discarding.

Now the issue with UR cards I own (UR Standstill, UR Moon, etc) is that, even with Bolt, there is very little to fear or play around in the 10-15 life range. Your deck’s speed is set at 3 dmg per card/per attack. This lack of forcing opponents to react gives them time to deploy cards/effects which you will need to react to, like: Uro or Oko, before that Lurrus, before that Breach, before that Wrenn in RUG Delver, before that Hymn/Snapcaster or Counterbalance, before that SDT/CB or Shardless/Hymn or Probe/Sea/Therapy from Grixis Delver [DTT/TC show up in this era for a bit], and before all of that just the card Goyf (which still has to be respected and built against today).

^This is an unbroken chain of the most insufferable exploits that warp the format - and if you understand legacy as this series of exploits, you understand deck construction priorities in legacy. These fundamental problems in legacy are exploited in two flavors: Delver/Daze or “control.” The reason for Daze in Dreadstill is to say “I don’t care what card Delver/Daze is exploiting, I’m going to impede their ability to resolve them through an all-out attack on their mana backed up by my own Daze and basic land asymmetry.” Now that we’re free from Delver we can turn all of our attention to attacking the “control” exploits. Spell Snare is traditionally the card for the job, but right now it’s the three drops you have to care about. It’s not just the cmc, the recursiveness, nor the general overpowered’ness - they gain 3 life per turn per card (Uro/Oko) and they’re all hiding behind cards like Strix/Ice-Fang/Snapcaster. This problem is not solvable by UR Standstill without access to Dreadnought tech, and even then it’s still a creature-based angle of attack (this is the worst way to attack the cards they’re exploiting now, especially TNN without the reach of a 12/12 or fractal 2/2s off a Scroll of Fate).

Now you can say Standstill will be good enough all you want, but even if you draw 3 cards, you’re in the wrong colors to threaten something truly horrific like wraths and Teferi [3cmc] giving you the free-est Factory beatdown legacy has ever seen, all in a color that can Plow Goyf all day long. In terms of your argument about 21 lands and Daze not being okay, you have to recognize that you’re relying on an entire playset of Delvers that barely have enough cards to flip them in a timely manner...and you still have to build up Wasteland-proof mana (through your own alt-cast Dazes) to get that Shark plan online. It’s going to be very difficult to accomplish all these goals with 4x Volcs, and without that basic Mountain you’re going to find yourself in a world of hurt vs Delver/Daze decks when you’re siding in REBs without promise of static access to red mana (with all 8 Fetches pointed at it).

May 2015
    PDX

3-2 in leagues with same list and setup (Semiotician piloting and myself on call). Hootie and the ProFish [Stifle RUG Delver] 2-0, on the draw both games. 5c Okopile 2-1. Eldrazi 0-2. JundGaak 0-2. TES 2-1. Eldrazi and Gaak aren’t especially difficult matchups but just had some back luck with ~4 Brainstorm/Fetches and topdecks with multiple reasonable keeps in a row. Probably should have been a 4-1, but what can you do.

RUG Delver pilot tried to play the hold up Stifle game in a disadvantageous mana denial mirror; their mana curve to is too high to not play into our Dazes, and their soft permission betrayed them. Crushed their Goyfs and Hooties with a mix of Bolt + Lavamancer, TNN fog, and Dreadnought abyss.
    -SB was something like -2 Daze, -2 Standstill, -2 Bolt. +1 EE, +2 Abrade, +3 REB.

5c Oko game 1 they tapped out and jammed their Oko, probably felt all proud of themselves, and took ~15 to the dome resulting in a life total of less than 1. Game 2 we couldn’t find the Ashioks, but the game might have been winnable despite that with different FoW pitch choice in opening turns. Game 3 they got ground out by Standstills and Scroll through Oko and Uro in play for multiple turns, even though we again did not find any of our Ashioks or Chandra. This is the kind of game you’ll never win on UR Standstill (or normal Delver for that matter) without Dreadnought tech; the opponent was consistently forced by pressure into a corner where they couldn’t cast Veil, and were browbeaten into interacting fairly with FoW. It was the repetitive obliterating of their own GY (eating Snapcaster targets) to represent panic Uro many times and being unable to abuse Veil (b/c of the escape mana cost) that broke their back.
    -SB was -4 Daze, -2 Delver, -2 Bolt, -1 Nought. +2 Chandra ToD, +1 uncounterable Chandra, +2 Ashiok, +3 REB, +1 Surgical.

-Eldrazi SB was something like +2 Abrade, +1 EE, +2 Chandra ToD. -2 Bolt, -2 Daze, -1 Standstill.
    -Jund Gaak was same as before, -2 Standstill, -2 Daze, -1 FoW. +2 Ashiok, +2 Surgical, +1 Staticaster.

TES pilot couldn’t stop themselves from yolo’ing into Stifle once Veil resolved, but I don’t think their deck had enough discard to do otherwise. In game 3 they pretty much killed themselves with desperation AdNaus behind a Defense Grid on their turn 4 (flipped over Echo for 6 to the dome). To be fair, if we untapped they were turbodead to Ashiok in our hand.
    -SB was -2 TNN, -1 Lavamancer, -3 Bolt, -1 Scroll. +2 Abrade, +2 Ashiok, +1 Staticaster, +1 EE, +1 Brazen. Might have cut a Shark’nado for a Surgical.

New to Dreadstill, but wanted to ask about the viability of Misdirection in the maindeck. Given that it can be effective both as a free pitch counter but also as a good means to protect Dreadnought from removal (sans Oko), is it worth consideration for one or two slots in the maindeck?

May 2015
    PDX

Misdirection doesn’t accomplish as much as FoN usually can. You can run 3x FoW and 4th as a Misdirection though. You’d probably need to see a lot of Veil or AggroLoam (to kill their Chalice with Decay) in a local meta for this to be optimal. Misd isn’t the best vs Oko or Vial, and it’s about neutral vs discard.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by DarkConfidant View Post
    New to Dreadstill, but wanted to ask about the viability of Misdirection in the maindeck. Given that it can be effective both as a free pitch counter but also as a good means to protect Dreadnought from removal (sans Oko), is it worth consideration for one or two slots in the maindeck?
    Mis-D is fine...if you are worried about Abrupt decay decks play with Divert. I've run it before and it hoses the BUG style strats.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

May 2015
    PDX

As paper magic comes back, don't forget to wear your mask at your LGS. I suggest the N93 and N94 models.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

As paper magic comes back, don't forget to wear your mask at your LGS. I suggest the N93 and N94 models.
    My guy ;)

May 2015
    PDX

200 player legacy showcase or w/e it's called, Semi and myself on the call. Went with UW Dreadstill (the best UW deck with Standstill). 7-1 in the swiss, starting out 7-0 and 14-0 in games.

R1 vs Elves: this is basically a mirrormatch of actual Dreadnought vs turn my team into Dreadnoughts for 1x turn. Game 1 they get opening Fetch hit by Stifle, thus locking them into a forced line that loses to Stifle on Rec Sage. G2 they lose to Torpor Orb with some countermagic.

R2 vs RUG Delver: pretty easy win in either game, even waiting for ~10 draws to hit a white source in g2 (once we did, they died on the spot). They ended up conceding to Standstill #3 (Sevinne's) in g2. Apparently people think Dreadhorde flashing back 4 cantrips [in a game where you're on the play with Delver] counts for anything in this format - I dunno, seems suspect.

R3 vs Big EldraziPost: "good matchup vs Tundra." This is a bye round for Dreadstill.

R4 vs MonoRed Painter: G1 Scoop to Karn. Game 2 lock themselves out of REB [over like 5 turns] with their own Moon and Thorn, died to a Stifle while Mastery of the Unseen shredded them. There is an MTGO bug where Painter can't paint manifests, but this would not have kept opponent alive; still kind of a big coding problem, I hope they got re-imbursed. Their deck was sweet, but Moon and Thorn don't belong in a post-board submission.

R5 vs RUG Delver: opponent tried to cheese clock win with Oko on board but getting deterministically locked-out by Karn + Teferi over ~10 turns; they lost g1 with nothing on board. G2 I don't think they offered any resistance; pretty sure they mulled. A truly just end for a clock exploiting Oko abuser.

R6 vs DDFT: Stifle/Wasteland'd out of g1, and g2 resolved DDay without enough to go off while staring down a 12/12 (there wasn't a better line due to lack of mana). Well played by opponent, but their hands didn't have the cards necessary vs Dreadstill I think. Opponent just happened to be on one of the four worst decks to run afoul of Dreadnought (High Tide, DDFT, Tezzerator, MUD being the four).

R7 vs 4c not-red SnowOko: reduced to white mana only in g1, the 2-for-1 deck got handled by self 2-for-1 Dreadnought. G2 they conceded to something like Teferi, Karn, and Shark'nado [the permanent] on board.

R8 vs EurekaTell (1-2): pretty favorable matchup (E Tutor main and Humility comes in, plus other goodies), particularly postboard, but opponent was able to produce double Emrakul triggers (or double protection for the trigger). Big props to opponent for choosing to hardcast FoW using Boseju, with Omni onboard, in g3. While it did not matter vs our hand, it was absolutely the best line. This opponent deserved the 8-0. As much as people hate on Show and Tell, these were the most thought-provoking games of the day.

Top8 vs RUG Delver (1-2): two missed micro-decisions (one priority hold, the other a mistap) in g3 cost the match. I think it was a pretty easy top4 [assuming they don't have exactly Bolt in their deck g3, and draw it]; alas a long day and a little discord lag. Big thanks to @TheSemiotician for jamming my deck; glad to help him take down 50 chests and 3 free leagues of play points!
    ---

The next week or so of podcasts ought to be fun. The main lesson is that UW Dreadstill is the best UW Standstill shell at this time (as it has been since Scroll of Fate was printed), and don't play JTMS in Standstill (card is $90 loses-to-Oko trashers). Here's the list:

4x Vista
    4x Strand
    1x Karakas
    1x Tundra
    3x Snow-Island
    2x Snow-Plains
    3x Wasteland
    3x Factory

3x Dreadnought
    1x JVP

4x FoW
    4x Plow
    4x Stifle
    4x Brainstorm
    3x Teferi (3cmc)
    2x Karn
    2x Standstill
    2x Shark'nado
    2x FoN* (double-posted Standstill originally)
    2x Verdict
    1x Azcanta
    1x E-Tutor
    1x Sevinne's
    1x Scroll of Fate
    1x Astrolabe
    1x Spell Snare

SB all 1-of:
    Ashiok
    Mastery of the Unseen
    RiP
    Porphyry Nodes
    Humility
    Containment Priest
    Torpor Orb
    Scroll of Fate
    Cursed Scroll
    Tormod's
    Crucible
    Powder Keg
    Ethersworn
    Liquimetal Coating
    Sparkhunter Masticore - This Bud's for you Oko.

As always: ban Oko, ban Counterbalance, ban Hymn. Veil doesn't matter, Astrolabe doesn't matter. There's a difference between stupid mistakes and format-ruining.

May 2015
    PDX

I imagine they will use the wrong name for the deck, so here are the approved names:
    -Dread Monastery of the Unseen [defunct]
    -Manifest Destiny
    -12:12 (pronounced Twelve Minutes past Midnight)
    -Dreadstill and/or Enter the Fist

The real name however is Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster [as long as it has Crucible]. The alcoholic equivalent of a mugging – expensive and bad for the head.
    Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit.
    Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V
    Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).
    Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it (in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia).
    Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones.
    Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.
    Sprinkle Zamphuor.
    Add an olive.
    Drink...but very carefully.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...nge-2020-07-13

200 player legacy showcase or w/e it's called, Semi and myself on the call. Went with UW Dreadstill (the best UW deck with Standstill). 7-1 in the swiss, starting out 7-0 and 14-0 in games.
    Congrats on the finish - that's quite an accomplishment. Also, thanks for the write-up.

The next week or so of podcasts ought to be fun. The main lesson is that UW Dreadstill is the best UW Standstill shell at this time (as it has been since Scroll of Fate was printed), and don't play JTMS in Standstill (card is $90 loses-to-Oko trashers).
    On the white splash, just curious what is it about the white splash that makes it preferable? I'm putting together Dreadstill in paper and was planning to build it as Ur, but maybe Uw or Uwr might be better. I was leaning toward red because of REB/Pyroblast and Bolt.

Also, would you make any changes to the list moving forward?

Thread Information