Page 114 of 239 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Quote Originally Posted by Van Phanel View Post
    Doesn't work. CB only triggers when it is in play at the time a spell is being cast. Also please stop considering bad cards, at least you if nobody else in here should know better.
    Yeah I actually did know that I just forgot to edit my post afterwards lol. Last time I checked Mask was definetally not that terrible but I agree that the Leyline is pretty poor since we can't use the triggers off of Standstill or CB in response to a spell.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

I ran this build at my local Legacy tourney:

Fae Dread Still:
    6 Fetch
    4 Island
    3 Volc
    1 Trop
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mutavault

4 Spellstutter Sprite
    3 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Trinket Mage

4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Lightning Bolt

3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Standstill
    1 Engineered Explosives

SB
    2 Firespout
    2 Shattering Spree
    2 Hydroblast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Magus of the Moon
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Engineered Exposives
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Relic of Progenitus

Basically you run Spellstutter Sprite over Spell Snare and trim some of the Dreadnought package for Lightning Bolt. I cut Perish for Shattering Spree because I thought there might be some Grim Monolith decks, which didn't pan out, I wish I had stayed with Perish. The meta ended up being really scrubby though, and the only good deck that my posse didn't bring was one guy with New Horizons. At least three people at this tournament were named 'Chris'.

Round 1: Chris with U/B Mill
    Game 1: His deck isn't good. Spellstutter Sprite counters Memory Sluice. Counterbalance, Standstill and Dreadnought do him in.
    -1 Daze, -1 Standstill, +2 Pyroblast
    Game 2: More of the same, but Mutavault and Sprite do him in.
    (1-0)

Round 2: Chris with Kilnfiend Burn
    Game 1: I can't find any real gas and he slowly wears me down with Kilnfiends.
    -1 Daze, -1 Standstill, +2 Hydroblast
    Game 2: Turn 4 Naught win.
    Game 3: I get overambitious with trying to get a two for one with EE, and lose when it turns out he's playing Fireblast.
    1-1

Round 3: Some Guy with Lorwyn Block R/G
    Game 1: I can't find any gas and Countryside Crusher, Chameleon Colossus and Boggart Ramgang eventually wear me down.
    -1 Daze, -1 Standstill, -1 CB, -1 Top, +2 Hydroblast, +2 Firespout
    Round 2: Turn 4 Dreadnought win.
    Round 3: I get a Nought, it gets in there once but then it trades with 3 Imperious Perfect. Fortunantely Mutavault and Trinket Mage can close the deal easily.
    2-1

Round 4: Jim with Mono W Painter Servant/Pro Black guys
    Game 1: He plays some Auriok Champions and Paths and then Swords my Dreadnought, but I play Lightning Bolts, Standstills, Spellstutters and Mutavaults, which grind him down from 33.
    Game 2: I dispatch Painter's Servants while he plays Pro Black guys. Eventually a Dreadnought runs him down from 27.
    3-1

So, the meta stank, but Lightning Bolt was really useful against those scrubby decks. Spellstutter Sprite is okay, its ability to attack and block can be quite useful, and it did a great job countering Memory Sluice. However, against Goyfs and Counterbalances, you find yourself missing Spell Snare a bit.

Next week, I think I will try a version that eschews CB/Top in favor of Aether Vial and more Faeries.

(I am sharing the not because the report or the meta was great, but because I think this is a cool twist on Dreadstill).

Why would you want to counter Memory Sluice?

Discussing our MU against mill decks really doesn't matter I feel since a) they blow when you bash their face in and b) Only casual scrubs play them in legacy. Countering memory sluice with sprite might be the right move if their deck has a ridiculously high curve that can't be countered with sprite so sprite has to counter their one drops that one drop being a memory sluice.

Illusionary mask would be playable if it costed one mana since we could get it with trinket mage then and go nuts with it but as is it dies to spell snare and is simply put not that good. I would max out noughts, stifles, and trickbinds before playing the card. I also find myself not wanting to spend over $100 on a card that is utter jank.
    Bread Connoisseur on MTGSalvation Forums
    Currently Playing:
    All flavors of storm combo
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacrix
    Lands is a joke for Solidarity. Its like asking a morbidly obese parapalegic to run the mile with his shoes tied.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

The problem is, the current wording is complete crap for Illusionary Mask for most creatures. To us, it doesn't matter too much, it's just not practical. You have no way to get it, and it gets blown up just like a Dreadnought will, as it's going to sit there until you draw into combo. At least Stifle isn't a dead card if you don't draw Nought; Illusionary Mask is quite the opposite.

-Matt

Hi,

I was thinking of putting Renegade doppleganger since it is in synergy for both Stutter sprite and Dnought. You can also add a tech of using Ninja of the deep hours for extra draw. i am still experimenting my mono U Dreadstill and it is quite good against my previous play.

1 good thing that happened to me during the testplay is that i have both stiflenought and renegade in play. a quick 12 damage via doppelganger copying nought is good to seal the next turn kill by dreadnought. here is what happened.

doppelganger in play i casted stiflenought then swing doppelganger. in oponent's turn, he casted QPM and in response, i casted Stuttersprite. and doppelganger copy stutter that in effect there are 2 faeries in play.

i seal the game on next turn when the real nought did the damage. a

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by owenzzz View Post
    in oponent's turn, he casted QPM and in response, i casted Stuttersprite. and doppelganger copy stutter that in effect there are 2 faeries in play.
    Sorry to break your illusion, but Spellstutter Sprite and Renegade Doppelganger is not a combo, so you actually cheated (unknowingly of course). When Spellstutter Sprite enters the battlefield two abilities trigger. The problem is that you have to choose a target for Spellstutter Sprite's ability before Renegade Doppelganger's ability resolves. At that time you only control one Faerie, so Pridemage is an illegal target.
    Last edited by Van Phanel; 07-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Has anyone tried cutting Standstill for Predict?

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
    Has anyone tried cutting Standstill for Predict?
    or Spreading Seas ? I heard that it is quite good coupled with Wastelands and Stifles...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

I like it.. we can change the deck name to "Dreadict" or Prednought" oooOo.

Don't be fooled, Standstill is still great. It draws more cards and more importantly, it stalls the game. Even it if Mystical Tutor was still rampant, Predict would still not be as good.

Plus Teferi's Responce would be better in here than Predict, I think.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I find myself boarding out the Standstills a lot of the time. I was thinking about changing one Standstill to one Vision Charm. Reason? Allows me another spell to counter the Dreadnought trigger, and also allows me, in a way, to more freely use my Stifles. Plus, I haven't found Standstill as good in many of the matches I'm playing (Merfolk, Goblins, etc.)

-Matt

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

What do you guys think of putting CB/Top in the sb. Against sometimes Zoo and Merfolk it isn't always too great. I've been revisiting Ugr and have been working with this list.

// Lands
    2 [R] Volcanic Island
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (2)
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    4 [P3] Island (2)
    3 [R] Tropical Island
    2 [ON] Flooded Strand
    2 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn

// Creatures
    3 [MI] Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 [FD] Trinket Mage
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf

// Spells
    1 [TSP] Trickbind
    4 [SC] Stifle
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [SHM] Firespout
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [OD] Standstill
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    3 [DD2] Daze
    4 [DIS] Spell Snare

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
    SB: 3 [CS] Counterbalance
    SB: 2 [V09] Sensei's Divining Top
    SB: 1 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    SB: 1 [TSP] Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [ALA] Relic of Progenitus
    SB: 1 [5E] Hydroblast
    SB: 1 [B] Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 [B] Red Elemental Blast

Key things to note here:
    -Firespout is absolutely maindecked as a 3 of. No reason not to running Lurgoyf and with the meta being flooded with aggro.
    -CB/Top moved to the SB. I'm not sure this is correct but if you're preparing to face more aggro decks like I'm thinking then it might be a correct call to move it to the SB.
    -1x Krosan Grip SB: Possible 2/3?

So again I'm just trying to revisit Ugr Dreadstill. Feedback is appreciated.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Cash Money Baller
    Nov 2007
    Maine

I think Lightning Bolt is a better MD card than Firespout for Dreadstill. Lightning Bolt can help Turn 2 Standstills happen, win Goyf wars, is easier to resolve against Merfolk, and can finish off an opponent.

I would be wary of cutting Counterbalance for a card that doesn't counter Swords to Plowshares. I tried out Spellstutter Sprite because it can buy time against Aggro, counter Swords to Plowshares, is a threat under Standstill, and can counter bigger spells if Standstill takes you into the late game. Vendillion Clique could be cool, also.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2007

I played a ugr list with goyf and lavamancers in 140 people tournament:

// Lands
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [A] Island (1)
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [TE] Wasteland
    3 [R] Volcanic Island
    3 [R] Tropical Island
    4 [JGC] Mishra's Factory

// Creatures
    3 [MI] Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 [FD] Trinket Mage
    4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
    3 [TO] Grim Lavamancer

// Spells
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    3 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [TSP] Trickbind
    2 [FD] Engineered Explosives
    3 [OD] Standstill
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    3 [SC] Stifle
    3 [NE] Daze
    4 [AL] Force of Will

side :
    3 firespout
    3 krosan grip
    4 tormods cript
    3 lightning bolts
    2 spell pierce

I wanted to play lavamancer because now I expect a lot of tribal decks goblins, merfolk and lavamancer is good in goyf wars moreover lavamancer has sinergy with standstill.
    Matches
    2-1 zoo
    2-1 bant
    1-2 landstill
    2-0 againts ub combo deck with vampire hexmage
    1-2 GW deck with vials.
    2-1 againts dragon stompy
    1-2 vs Trheshold and drop because I wanted to see world soccer cup :)

Impressions:
    1) I missed in my sideboard some kind of card like miind harness, sower of tempation or threads,

2) Manabase is weaker than in ur , moreover I lost vs threshold because his submerge was mvp againts my dreadnought :(

Conclusions: I think that typical UR version (I preffer with a splash of black for perish in sb) is a good option still, ugr and ur are both solid choices

Would it be a bad idea to cut Daze in order to add lightning bolt if I am anticipating a lot of aggressive decks at a tournament like Zoo, Merfolk and Goblins? Here's a list for reference.

5 Island
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Mishra's Factory
    3 Wasteland

4 Brainstorm
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    4 Force of Will
    3 Lightning Bolt
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Standstill
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Trickbind
    1 Engineered Explosives

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Trinket Mage

Sideboard
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Pyroblast
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Firespout
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

I am including a list that was excelent in my last tournament and was similar to the tournament before that that I won.

2 Grim Lavamancer
    2 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Trinket Mage
    3 Lightning Bolt
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Standstill
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Misty Rainforest
    2 Scalding Tarn
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Flooded Strand

Sideboard:
    2 Firespout
    2 Perish
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Lightning Bolt
    1 Pithing Needle

Lavamang mows down a lot of sad little creatures. Bolt stops Nacatyl. Play slowly and caustiously quite often as the control deck, but if you have a force and the T2 Dreadnought+Stifle don't be afraid to put your nuts on the table 1st. game. Second it is much more risky. Use your board to continue sweeping hoardes. REB's own Jace, let them pay 4 for your 1 cmc answer. You probably auto lose to a resolved Tombstalker unless you can burn+lavamang or double burn. Progenits gets owned by Perish. The 4 spell snare are for goyf, counterbalance, and QP, be careful about cutting any. People are already afraid of Daze some percentage ofyour opponents will try to play around it, don't worry about that you are getting tempo out of it.

You need to play really tight and you should be in just about any game. Don't be afraid to hold back and eat your opponent's manabae for lunch with stifles+wasteland especially 3 color decks. Strategicailly toast your opponent's hierarchs and good luck.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I know it's an online tournament but it was seven rounds master tourny so I figure it'd be worth sharing with you guys. I ended up at 5-1-1 after getting DQ'd second round for taking back my card on oponents side of table causing MWS to crash. I faced I think 9 blue aggro/control variants overall with this as my current list. Ended up taking 2nd and receiving 30$ credit on the site.

http://www.magic-league.com/deck/628...readstill59838

I feel like the 3 Firespouts were too many, so I'm dropping it down to 2. Also 3 Spell pierce are going down to 2. Not sure what else im going to add in though. If I can go to the GP I'll be representing Dreadstill as well.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I notice some interesting changes in the decklist, some of which seem really good, and some I'm questioning.

First, I love the fact you added Tropical Island. It bluffs you have Tarmogoyf threats, allows you to EE on 3 and use Firespout more effectively, etc. I might add a Tropical and keep the Sea so I can EE on 4, though.

You cut a Top, which I'm not sure is the right play. How have you been finding having only 2 Top?

What have you been using Echoing Truth for? I use my copies for Dredge mostly, but how have you been using it?

All in all, seems very solid. I like :D

-Matt

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Echoing Truth is one of those cards I just find extremely good in alot of scenarios. Any permanent based control deck they pretty much make all of those MUs alot easier. Yeah the Trop is pretty cool I do enjoy pretending sometimes I'm a U/G deck. Though I'm not entirely sure yet but I might be cutting it for a U-Sea and trying out a few Duress in the sb. I've always ran 2 Tops it's always been the right number for me I find them pretty frequently.

Thread Information