Page 12 of 239 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Quote Originally Posted by NQN View Post
    With that list you wonīt stand a chance against Dragonstompy and Dredge. High price just for the non-existen goblin matchup.
    I agree, But I have been having some difficulties with the aggro match up. I am currently running the red splash variant and have been having recent success with pyroclasms in place of 2 spell snare.

any other thoughts on how to deal with the aggro matchup mainly goyf sleigh and goblins?

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Maagler View Post
    I agree, But I have been having some difficulties with the aggro match up. I am currently running the red splash variant and have been having recent success with pyroclasms in place of 2 spell snare.

any other thoughts on how to deal with the aggro matchup mainly goyf sleigh and goblins?
    Well goyf sligh really shouldn't be giving you problems, you can counter relevent stuff and preboard they CANNOT deal with Dreadnought. Post side Chill makes the match up near un-loseable. As for goblins counter relevent stuff and try to land a nought has become the "best" game plan but it is still 50/50 at best.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Goyf sliegh has been giving me a problem with all the burn to finish me off. I have found that If I do not get the countertop combo it is hard for me to deal with all their threats.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Dazes ruin them, g1 Dreadnought is normally GG for them. Also Snares, and Standstills tend to really get there for you.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

*** on TMD

Nov 2005
    New England

I recently took second at Gateway Comics with Dreadstill. I had been testing both Dreadstill and Threshold, and in the end decided that Dreadstill would be the better deck. It is very powerful and fully expect it to be in the Decks To Beat forum in the near future. Props to Rodney for helping me understand better how the deck works.

I went through the Swiss without dropping a game. I beat Goblins and two Survival decks. I then beat Rodney in a very close mirror match in Top Four, being 0-3 to him prior to that. Then Fae beat me quite easily.

I played this (from memory):

// 8 Creatures
    2 Goyf
    2 Trinket Mage
    4 Nought

// 2 Trinkets
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Explosives

// 13 Counters / Removal
    4 Force of Will
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Krosan Grip
    3 Daze

//11 Draw
    3 Tops
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm

// 5 Counter Activated Abilities
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind

// 21 Land
    4 Mishra
    3 Wasteland
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Volcanic Island
    6 Fetchland
    4 Basic Island

// Sideboard
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 Goyf
    2 Ancient Grudge
    2 Pyroclasm
    1 Firespout
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Explosives
    1 Gaea's Blessing (Because I feared Painter)

Feb 2006
    Boston

Obviously the maindeck Krosan Grips were amazing because you played against Survival twice, but do they deserve the slot? Do you feel like it's more of a metagame call or should EVERY list be running them?

awesomeness
    Jul 2007
    Germany

Krosan Grip MB is definitely a meta call.

Oblivion Ring serves more problems but its not your splashcolor.
    Every DTB forum update is simply shuffling around the same ten decks.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by uprite View Post
    Hammafist your list above looks good, but the list seems to detract away from the plan of getting the dreadnaught on the table. However you replaced the trinket mage with stronger and more useful creatures making it like an threshold esque kind of deck with the dreadnaught combo. Also you lose E.E pithing and prehaps crypt main with this list, those things do come in handy at times and not to mention that sometimes against an aggro deck a stifle and a trinket mage is good enough to win the game if you have some counters.

Have you tested the list yet? It looks pretty good on paper but how is your manabase since your b/g sources are only from duals which can be wasted/ported.

I think wastelands are nice but losing them isnt a huge deal since my w/u list runs no wastelands instead i run 1 island,1 plains and 1 academy ruins.

I am looking forward you what you say about your testing with this list, it certainly looks like an fun/interesting version of dreadstill.
    I haven't tested it, I don't ever play magic unless I am in a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    Hamma, if you must play a three color version without any wastelands, cutting an island or two for Fairie Conclaves might be worth a consideration to make sure you can make use of standstill.

Nothing sucks worse than giving your opponents card advantage with your own standstill because you only run Factory and they run Factory (to neuter yours) and/or Wastelands.
    Treetop Village is an option too.
    CIP tapped lands are awful in legacy, nevermind in Dreadstill. Conclave and Treetop would be so bad in this deck, bad synergy with everything except for Standstill maybe.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

*** on TMD

Nov 2005
    New England

The Grips were certainly a metagame call. Spell Snare would be better for a more general metagame, I think.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    Obviously the maindeck Krosan Grips were amazing because you played against Survival twice, but do they deserve the slot? Do you feel like it's more of a metagame call or should EVERY list be running them?
    Krosan Grips mainboard in our meta are pretty good. I think the main intension of it was to win the mirror. Just an added bonus is he faced Survival twice.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    Krosan Grips mainboard in our meta are pretty good. I think the main intension of it was to win the mirror. Just an added bonus is he faced Survival twice.
    Krosan Grip isn't really that great vs. Survival, I think Spell Snare would do a better job at dealing with Survival. Rich noticed that there was 4 Dreadstill decks at the last Wareham tourney(2 Top8'd) and wanted to win the mirror(which he did).
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Has anyone else not been liking needle in the main lately? I barely have searched for it my last tournament it just was not very helpful in the main.

Itīs just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Needle was the first card I cutted down to 1 in the sideboard. I rather like Crypt cause itīs good against Survival and Landstill too and gives you a really good Ichorid matchup.

oh i love needle in the main... it's just soooo versitile. i out right won a game against 3 color standstill simple because on turn 2 (on the play) i played a needle, he fetched with his flooded stand, which i stifled, then i named polluted delta with my needle... so much fun when he layed 2 deltas in a row the next 2 turns haha. keeping the number of needles down to 1 in the main is a good idea though, because not EVERY deck has good things to name with needle. but keep in mind, if you ever draw you needle, and don't have anything really good in mind to name it's always easy to name your opponents fetchlands.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by MTL10 View Post
    oh i love needle in the main... it's just soooo versitile. i out right won a game against 3 color standstill simple because on turn 2 (on the play) i played a needle, he fetched with his flooded stand, which i stifled, then i named polluted delta with my needle... so much fun when he layed 2 deltas in a row the next 2 turns haha. keeping the number of needles down to 1 in the main is a good idea though, because not EVERY deck has good things to name with needle. but keep in mind, if you ever draw you needle, and don't have anything really good in mind to name it's always easy to name your opponents fetchlands.
    Yeah I too like the needle, not so much for needling fetches though, my most common targets are: E.E., Pernicious Deed, Survival Of the Fittest, Umezawa's Jitte, etc etc
    Team Hammafist
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Re: [DTW] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

So anyways the deck got bumped into the DTB forum due to all the success it's been having which is awesome...oh I have been running 2x EEs main over the Needle in the main it's seeming to work out for me nicely I really like having two.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Dreadstill grabbed 1-4th Split, 9th, and 10th at the 34 player Pawtucket $500 tournament today. My 9th place list/report can be found here.
    Team Hammafist

*** on TMD

Nov 2005
    New England

Here's the list I used to Top Four at Die Hard Games.
    It was great all day. The combination of Goyf and Red sweeping damage let me power right past hate, such as agaisnt Feinstein Elves.

3 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Island
    2 Tropical Island
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Trinket Mage
    3 Tarmogoyf
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    3 Counterbalance
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Standstill
    1 Trickbind
    1 Engineered Explosives
    2 Ancient Grudge
    1 Cryptic Command

// Sideboard:
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 Red Elemental Blast
    SB: 3 Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 2 Slice and Dice
    SB: 2 Krosan Grip
    SB: 2 Firespout

The Cryptic Command wasn't great, but I wanted another way to handle threats in the main deck. I think that it is worth further testing, but it didn't do much in the day. Otherwise, however, I was very happy with the deck, and thrilled with the sideboard.

Itīs just more individual party in your head.
    Apr 2007
    Germany

Ancient Grudge Maindeck looks like a really really crazy meta...Could you explain it? I donīt like those lists with Goyf in the Maindeck and so many nonbasics tough because Back to Basics is such a hoser against so many decks and I just want the coinflip against Dragonstompy which I loose if I play such a "bad" manabase. But if it worked for you, itīs great ;) Congratz!

Nov 2007
    Denmark

Isn't five stifle-effects a little low? I'd add one more Trickbind. I'd like to second what NQN said about that Grudge What a weird card choice :P

If you really want that Grudge maindeck, wouldn't just 1 be better? +1 Trickbind, -1 Ancient Grudge IMO.
    "You're English is terrible and inconsistent."

-DownSyndromeKarl

Thread Information