Page 148 of 239 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

That's your own fault for bringing wifey along

-Matt

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Tomorrow I'll be playing this list (35-40 expected players, lots of Merfolk, Maverick, Junk and Loam Based decks, and Stoneforge.decks)

4 Seas
    4 Volcs
    6 Fetchlands (3 Polluted/ 3 Scalding probably)
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    4 Wastelands

4 Bob
    2 Snapcaster
    2 Trinket
    2 Grim
    1 Nought

2 JTMS

2 Go for the throat
    2 Bolt
    1 Ghastly Demise

4 Stifle
    4 Snare
    4 Fow
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze

1 EE
    1 Top

--------

3 Reb
    3 Extirpate
    2 Hibernation
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Grim

Hibernation because I fear the random Enchantress Matchup, and also because a reshuffled Progenitus is worse for me than a Progenitus stuck in hand.

I'm still a fan of Grims maindeck. This deck can put enough cards in graveyard to play Grim while keeping some Snapcaster targets.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by kiblast; 12-03-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

0 Stifle? How you castin that Dreadnought?

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    0 Stifle? How you castin that Dreadnought?
    Good question, obviously I forgot to write em.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Grim is great in the Tempo match. You slaughter their Snapcasters and Delvers like a fucking champ.

I'm also a huge fan of Torpor Orb for shutting down Snapcaster.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by TnA_Will View Post
    61 Total

Spells:
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    3 Spell Snare
    4 Hymm to Tourach
    2 Go For the Throat
    4 Force of Will

Planeswalkers:
    2 Jace TMS

Artifacts:
    1 Engineered Explosives
    4 Torpor Orb

Creatures:
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Delver of Secrets
    2 Hunted Horror
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought

Lands:
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Creeping Tar Pit
    1 Swamp
    1 Plains
    1 Island
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Underground Sea

SideBoard:
    2 Darkblast
    3 Misdirection
    3 Peacekeeper
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Perish
    I am headed to an event this weekend in Akron. Given the changes Legacy has had recently, I am inclined to take out the 3x Phyrexian Revoker from the side and add in 3x either Surgical Extraction/Extirpate. My question is which one? Given that I play orb/Bob and not snapcaster I'm leaning toward Extirpate so I don't lose the life and I'm not "flashing" it back anyways. Wondered what the general thought was on extraction vs. extirpate in bob builds where life matters.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Extirpate is better where you want it, since it's Split second and can't be countered. Thopters: you'll want to Split Second, Reanimator you want uncounterability.

-Matt

How did you make out? I've been playing bant and reanimator but somthing about trampling people faces with 12/12's I miss. Stifle and wasteland is so strong I miss playing it.

Possible to run hymn and snapcaster? seems really cool on paper

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    Tomorrow I'll be playing this list (35-40 expected players, lots of Merfolk, Maverick, Junk and Loam Based decks, and Stoneforge.decks)

4 Seas
    4 Volcs
    6 Fetchlands (3 Polluted/ 3 Scalding probably)
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp
    4 Wastelands

4 Bob
    2 Snapcaster
    2 Trinket
    2 Grim
    1 Nought

2 JTMS

2 Go for the throat
    2 Bolt
    1 Ghastly Demise

4 Stifle
    4 Snare
    4 Fow
    4 Brainstorm
    3 Daze

1 EE
    1 Top

--------

3 Reb
    3 Extirpate
    2 Hibernation
    2 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Vendilion Clique
    2 Spell Pierce
    1 Grim

Hibernation because I fear the random Enchantress Matchup, and also because a reshuffled Progenitus is worse for me than a Progenitus stuck in hand.

I'm still a fan of Grims maindeck. This deck can put enough cards in graveyard to play Grim while keeping some Snapcaster targets.

Thoughts?

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    How did you make out? I've been playing bant and reanimator but somthing about trampling people faces with 12/12's I miss. Stifle and wasteland is so strong I miss playing it.

Possible to run hymn and snapcaster? seems really cool on paper
    If I'd run Hymn and Snapcaster I'd play straight Team Portugal.

Anyway I played poorly at that tournament and had bad luck with screw/floods and ended something like 2-2 drop.

Today I played in a 51 players tournament ending 10th (4-2) playing UB Countertop Stiflenought. Very solid build my only lost were to Deadguy Ale ( 1st game is 45 minutes long, I fight vs various Lilianas, but I menage to assemble countertop and remove his other threats. I'm stuck with Nought in hand, countertop in play, but without Stifle/Snapcaster,or even a JTMS, for 12-15 turns in a row...ridiculous...I die when he assembles Mirran Crusader+SoFaI. We barely play g2 as we have no time left) The other loss was to MonoW Artifact aggro ( Idk what really happened, I countered and killed all his dudes but he just topdecked lots of Mirran Crusaders and Etched Champions...)

I think we should test Liliana in this deck. On the paper she seems good: recursive removal, fixes 3cc drops under Countertop without playing sub par creatures like Trinket Mage, or without playing too many Vendilions, she provides a nice reset button option on opponent's board if unanswered , she hits those Mirrans and Etched you cannot kill normally, big boobs, etc..

What is team Portugal?

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    If I'd run Hymn and Snapcaster I'd play straight Team Portugal.

Anyway I played poorly at that tournament and had bad luck with screw/floods and ended something like 2-2 drop.

Today I played in a 51 players tournament ending 10th (4-2) playing UB Countertop Stiflenought. Very solid build my only lost were to Deadguy Ale ( 1st game is 45 minutes long, I fight vs various Lilianas, but I menage to assemble countertop and remove his other threats. I'm stuck with Nought in hand, countertop in play, but without Stifle/Snapcaster,or even a JTMS, for 12-15 turns in a row...ridiculous...I die when he assembles Mirran Crusader+SoFaI. We barely play g2 as we have no time left) The other loss was to MonoW Artifact aggro ( Idk what really happened, I countered and killed all his dudes but he just topdecked lots of Mirran Crusaders and Etched Champions...)

I think we should test Liliana in this deck. On the paper she seems good: recursive removal, fixes 3cc drops under Countertop without playing sub par creatures like Trinket Mage, or without playing too many Vendilions, she provides a nice reset button option on opponent's board if unanswered , she hits those Mirrans and Etched you cannot kill normally, big boobs, etc..

I ended up being 15th out of 40 people in Akron. Final record was 3-3. Wins were against Lands (running painter combo as alternate win con), Mono Black Helm-Line, and Mono Black Contamination (pox type build).

Losses were against 4-color counter/top that made top 8, Belcher ( I need practice playing against that deck, I forced a land grant thinking I had him for sure, he then proceeds to go off without the land and kills me with 13 goblin tokens on turn 3...), and an odd Zoo(r/g/w) build running stone forge, batter skull, maze of ith, punishing fires, willows, mom's, along with the normal zoo, reliquary's, pride mages, nacattals, etc...

I did ok, no real bad misplays to speak of other than maybe the Belcher force.... I didn't see very much snap-caster/delvers as I expected in the meta... Instead out of the 40 people I saw 3 lands decks, 3 reanimator's, 5 combo decks (3 TES,2 belchers), 3 mono black decks, 5 zoo type decks (not sure just glancing at the board states if they were zoo or maverick early on), 2 stax builds, only 1 fish build, and maybe 5 or so control style builds running snap caster (4 color, bug, rug,and r/u counter-burn).

Apr 2007
    São Paulo - Brazil

12/12/2011 Happy Dreadnought Day!

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

Hooray!

Next year is 12/12/2012. I suggest everyone have an insane party.

-Matt

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

After a little crush, now I'm seriously in love with Torpor Orb. This cute artifact shuts down a whole part of Legacy, while still being great synergy with this kind of deck.

Thinking for about one hour, or less, I could recover my ancient UB Dreadnought list, and tune it for the lulz.

Here's what I've brew'd:

4 Polluted Delta
    4 Underground Sea
    4 Wasteland
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    1 Academy Ruins

4 Dark Confidant
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought

4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Torpor Orb
    4 Ghastly Demise
    4 Thoughtseize

SB: 4 Extirpate
    SB: 3 Perish
    SB: 2 Misdirection
    SB: 2 Spell Pierce
    SB: 2 Hunted Horror
    SB: 1 Flusterstorm
    SB: 1 Tormod's Crypt

This list is teh shit. Torpor Orb allows you to use your Stifles aggressively, which is great in conjunction with Wasteland and Daze (the normal tempo package). Dark Confidant and Delver of Secrets are must-answer critters that can just win you the game if you play defensively.

Torpor Orb is just a blowout against Stoneblade (and every other deck that relies on Stoneforge Mystic), because it basically answers every creature in their deck (Vendilion Clique, Spellstutter Sprite and Snapcaster Mage). And it simply kills Goblins (which isn't really relevant nowdays, lol). It might answer Painter Servant, but those are corner cases.

I've tested Hymn in Thoughtseize spots, but cut them shortly after, because of the random nature of the card. And Seize is definetely better for protection (discarding Swords is huge).

I'm not an expert in this archtype, and I'd like to hear some advice from anyone who still has guts to play the beloved 12/12 beast.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Jun 2009
    Quad Cities, IA

Cool list. Black is definitely good with Dreadnought. I'd probably drop the Orb, play Snapcaster, and switch Thoughtseize to IoK, but either way.

Here's a Dreadnought list that borrows from CalebD's Painter deck I was messing around with a while ago. It's pretty strong and is very combo oriented.

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Volcanic Island
    1 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Seat of the Synod
    3 Great Furnace
    2 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors

4 Goblin Welder
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought

4 Brainstorm
    4 Intuition
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Mox Opal
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Torpor Orb
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    4 Lightning Bolt

Spellskite is pretty good. Welder and Dreadnought both need to be protected, so skite carries its weight.

Intution is the glue for the deck. It does a lot of work for your gameplan.

Welder is insane. Just like in Painter, he protects the combo from anything that doesn't exile it.

Edited list. Included burn because aggro was racing me and I needed some protection. Spellskite is decent. I'm not sold on it after all.
    Last edited by igri_is_a_bk; 02-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Salt of the earth

May 2009
    Canada

I said Torpor Orb was good :)

What about running Kira, GGS? I think it's a bit better than Spellskite in general (maybe not in a Painter-ish deck) for general protection.

UB is interesting, but I'm curious about splashing Red for blasts in the board and Bolts in the main. Gives you a bit more reach.

-Matt

Thinking about Magic...
    Jan 2011
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by sdematt View Post

What about running Kira, GGS?
    -Matt
    Was this the card you refferred to a while ago for protecting your creatures like a champ? I'm really curious how your list looks alike now :)

I've build the following list, but I haven't playtested it so it's mere speculation

4 torpor orb

4 phyrexian dreadnought
    2 hunted horror
    4 delver of secrets

4 force of will
    4 daze
    3 spell pierce
    4 stifle

2 smother
    2 dismember

4 thoughtseize

4 brainstorm

4 underground sea
    4 wasteland
    1 academy ruins
    1 island
    1 swamp

8 fetches

Any comments are appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by kingtk3; 02-19-2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: syntax

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Well its good to see that people still play my deck :). Has anyone tried running sinkhole in the deck? Maybe running five or six stifle effects to boot? Extirpate can also cripple a manabase in certain matchups. I think Ubr would definately be a good choice purely because of the strength it gives you in your sideboard. Havent played in years so its just a thought or an attempt to spark some discussion here.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Roob o.O

There's alot of tournaments coming up in my area a couple of SCGs and whatnot. I intend on playing my new variation of this deck and seeing what kinds of things it can do. Is everyone playing with BEB now due to the surge of Burn/etc?

Torpor Orb seems great against the likes of Stoneforge Mystic and Snapcaster Mage.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    Well its good to see that people still play my deck :). Has anyone tried running sinkhole in the deck? Maybe running five or six stifle effects to boot? Extirpate can also cripple a manabase in certain matchups. I think Ubr would definately be a good choice purely because of the strength it gives you in your sideboard. Havent played in years so its just a thought or an attempt to spark some discussion here.
    To quote David Gearhart "Holy McGoddam Fuckshit!" it's Rob Rogers!
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Thread Information