Page 156 of 239 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Nov 2011
    Canada

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

I use pithing needle; but as mentioned stifle owns most of them already.
    Cheers

And if you enjoy other Magic The Gathering sites try out www.mtgfanatic.com

Quote Originally Posted by SupREME-10 View Post
    I use pithing needle; but as mentioned stifle owns most of them already.
    I know that having enough stifles, or having the dreadnaught in hand becomes an issue. Using a stifle on engineered explosives would mean you lready have the dreadnaught in play, and having another stifle in hand is not always the case. I would think running discard would be good.

I had some good experiences with the deck yesterday and thought I would share them. Went 4-0 in the local weekly tournament. I'll start off with the list and comment on the matches below.

4 delver
    4 dreadnought
    3 lavamancer

4 standstill
    2 torpor orb

4 brainstorm
    4 force of will
    4 lightning bolt
    4 stifle
    3 spell pierce
    3 daze

1 faerie conclave
    4 mishra
    4 wasteland
    4 scalding tarn
    2 polluted delta
    3 volcanic island
    2 island
    1 mountatin

SB:
    3 pyroblast
    2 vendilion clique
    2 sulfuric vortex
    2 jace beleren
    2 engineered explosives
    1 rough/tumble
    2 relic of progenitus
    1 grafdigger's cage

Round 1 vs Maverick, 2-1
    G1 is a blow-out from me due to land-destruction. Bolt an Arbor, Waste a dual, and he was unfortunate enough not to draw more mana. Faerie Conclave and mishra finish the work. Random fun-fact; His only permanent in play when the game ended was a Sylvan Safekeeper, and my opponent was in fact Olle Råde. Ironic. G2 I land a nought 1-2 turns too late, as I am unable to race Thrun with an equiped batterskull. G3 I restraint his recources with an early 2for1 EE, nought end the game with Fow on removal. Olle mulled to 5. Lucky me.
    Key spells: Delver (although he was hardly involved in this match) Bolt, EE, stifle/wasteland

Round 2 vs EsperBlade, 2-0
    Details are fussy, but both games were similar in that his lack of counters made it easy for me to resolve evil stuff, while I could choose to ignore random spells and counter what mattered. Dreadnought took G1 against spirit-tokens + equipment. G2 I played standstill-mode and ended it with mishra and grim lavamancer.
    Key spells: Torpor Orb. Dreadnought. Tokens are nothing to us, while UR and RUG actually have to struggle with that. Bolt and lavamancer can control all his dudes. Note that this list did not feature counterbalance, I can imagine UW/Esper-blade with countertop playing out entirely differently.

Round 3 vs TES, 2-0
    I had a perfect starting hand G1, with just 1 land, delver and permission. Cheers. G2 I bring in Clique and blasts, but open stifle and triple wasteland, which is enough to deny him any mana at all long enough for a slow-flipped delver to get there. Pyroblasts on cantripps once he found the lands was icing on the cake.
    Key spells: All counters. Delver and clique.

Round 4 vs Sneak & Show, 2-1.
    G1 he has the nuts. Turn 1 S&T Emrakul with Fow-backup. I tilted a little bit, which I am ashamed of now. Sorry mate. That happens. G2 I manage to play a strong enough control game under a standstill, with stable land-drops while he discards at each EOT. When he finally breaks the standstill I draw up to 9 in my next draw phase, giving me a dreadnought and passing the turn with 7 cards of permission. Felt good. G3 was a thriller. Slow action from both players, with me starting to apply pathetic beats with mishra and an unflipped delver for 3-4 turns. He is still at 10-isch when he drops sneak attack. Even though he has 3 mana open, I play both my dazes to save my lands from annihilator. Sure enough, Emrakul swings in and wipe my board and drop me to 4. He is now in topdeck mode while I have 5 cards. land land lavamancer blast blast. I drop the man and start shooting. He fails to find a fatty to sneak, and I can save my ass by blasting his cantrips. I finish it in 3 more turns with the man and a mishra.
    Key spells: I have no idea. Close your eyes and hope for the best. Blasts helps I guess.

Overall impression of the deck:
    I had a real blast playing, it was the most fun I've had with a deck in while. It feels powerful, even though it's hard to describe exactly why, as it feels kinda swingy as well. I was entirely content with the maindeck, will do no changes there. However, large parts of the SB was left unused. I had geared it towards big three; Miracles, RUG and Maverick. Still, I believe it's worth putting some more effort on the Maverick-MU, my win there was mostly due to luck. With 10+ removal postboard, I feel Kira deserves a spot. Alternatively, boarding out dreadnoughts and bringing in a different strategy is an option. Inputs are most welcome.

A bit of a random question, but how does this deck handle Lands? I've only just started playing it, and sometimes someone in my local meta plays Lands, so I'd like to be prepared for the matchup and I'm wondering how the deck handles it. It seems like it's favorable for them as they can bypass Standstill without too much trouble and blunt your aggression with the usual Maze of Ith or Glacial Chasm mischief.

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    A bit of a random question, but how does this deck handle Lands? I've only just started playing it, and sometimes someone in my local meta plays Lands, so I'd like to be prepared for the matchup and I'm wondering how the deck handles it. It seems like it's favorable for them as they can bypass Standstill without too much trouble and blunt your aggression with the usual Maze of Ith or Glacial Chasm mischief.
    If you absolutely need to prepare for it, just play Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon in sideboard.
    Some of my friends sell records,
    some of my friends sell drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopo View Post
    If you absolutely need to prepare for it, just play Blood Moon or Magus of the Moon in sideboard.
    this, blood moon owns them.

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

After working and reworking the manabase, I've finally found one that makes me a little bit confortable (this deck mulligans a lot for lands). I was trying to squeeze basics, and tried them in various numbers and colors, but what's need to be said: Only one of each can suffice. 19 lands with 6 cantrips and topcurve = 2 is enough, we can work under 2~3 lands, anyways.

This is my latest deck, and I'd like to hear some of your opinion.

Lands [19]
    4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Mishra's Factory
    4 Volcanic Island
    3 Wasteland
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Island
    1 Mountain

Creatures [11]
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Grim Lavamancer

Spells [30]
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Stifle
    4 Standstill
    2 Torpor Orb
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Ponder

Sideboard [15]
    4 Submerge
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Rough//Tumble
    1 Echoing Truth
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Spellskite

I've also been testing Spellskite as some form of removal magnet. Works good with artifact hate and sword-effects. Protecting Dreadnought once is enough for him to make a big damage, and that's good. The rest seems very fine for the rest of the metagame. Some aggro/combo control should suffice, since we do have a nice clock agaist combo.
    Let your Dredge 6 be: Narco, Narco, Narco, Bridge, Bridge, Dread Return

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

I like that manabase- I was playing with 4 Volcs last time I was playing UR Dreadstill (months ago).

Anyway, what's exactly stopping us from going BUG now that we have Deathrite Shaman? The guy is a freaking Lavamancer that fixes your mana, nets you life while hating on your opponent's graveyard g1 and blocks lackey and survives... I was thinking about something like:

4 Noughts
    4 Delver
    4 Dark Confidant (kind of replacement for Standstill as going BUG you can't afford Factory anymore)
    3 Deathrite Shaman

4 Force
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Pierce
    2 Ponder
    2 Abrupt Decay

4 Usea
    3 Tropicals
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland

Obviously is a very rough list, also, we don't have a thread for UBx non Still-Stiflenought here on the source I think. Otherwise I would write there.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

Quote Originally Posted by kiblast View Post
    I like that manabase- I was playing with 4 Volcs last time I was playing UR Dreadstill (months ago).

Anyway, what's exactly stopping us from going BUG now that we have Deathrite Shaman? The guy is a freaking Lavamancer that fixes your mana, nets you life while hating on your opponent's graveyard g1 and blocks lackey and survives... I was thinking about something like:

4 Noughts
    4 Delver
    4 Dark Confidant (kind of replacement for Standstill as going BUG you can't afford Factory anymore)
    3 Deathrite Shaman

4 Force
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Stifle
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Pierce
    2 Ponder
    2 Abrupt Decay

4 Usea
    3 Tropicals
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Wasteland

Obviously is a very rough list, also, we don't have a thread for UBx non Still-Stiflenought here on the source I think. Otherwise I would write there.
    Very

Interesting....I like the idea with shaman, I think he is better then Grim as well... Is counterbalance playable to stop the swords to plowshares that constantly pwn our dreadnoughts?

Nov 2007
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by kingsey View Post
    Is counterbalance playable to stop the swords to plowshares that constantly pwn our dreadnoughts?
    Of course it's playable, but it takes 7-8 slots in the maindeck. You can't just put it in there.

Abrupt Decay is a problem for dreadnought and counterbalance. It even resolves through Kira, which is sad since it used to be a nice piece of protection here.

Perhaps, Spellskite > Kira ?

Tap 2, Standstill. Good?
    Jul 2010
    Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bear View Post
    Perhaps, Spellskite > Kira ?
    Kira was a good protection tool. Because it's a creature with evasion and attacks for 2. But Spellskite doesn't seem a solid choice, as tapping 2 mana for a Wall it's not a good investment in legacy. I'd probably consider it if your meta is full of Canadian Threshold, since eats Bolt like a pro.
    Are you into Jazz? Have a look at the Lp's I have for sale on Discogs!

I like Misdirection myself. It can protect the Dreadnought from things like Abrupt Decay, and has a lot of other uses besides.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    I like Misdirection myself. It can protect the Dreadnought from things like Abrupt Decay, and has a lot of other uses besides.
    Makes playing bob much tougher with fow and misdirection maindeck.

Most versions of the deck I see are running Spell Snare. Is there any particular reason for it? I tried out the deck at two local tournaments (at different stores) and only found them decent when I was facing Enchantress, and that was pretty much just because of Sterling Grove.

That said, gotta say I really like the deck, even though I have to play a semi-budget version with Steam Vents (Steam Vents instead of Volcanic Islands and a Trickbind instead of the fourth Stifle).

Nov 2007
    Finland

Just stating the obvious: if you play in a meta where you are facing significant amounts of relevant, counterable 2-drops, Spell Snare is probably good to have. It's up to you to figure out if you need it.

Hey Guys, just top 8d the SCG LA open

Here's the list I ran.

4 Delver
    4 Nought
    4 Grim

4 FOW
    4 BS
    4 Stifle
    4 Standstill
    4 Bolt
    3 Daze
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Misdirection
    1 Vision Charm
    1 Top

4 Scalding Tarn
    4 Volcanic
    4 Factory
    3 Wasteland
    2 Island
    2 Misty

SB:

4 REB
    4 Submerge
    4 Envelop
    3 Electrickery

Rd 1 - Junk

Mull to 4 gm 3 and get crushed

Rd 2 - BUG Delver

Gm 3 get turn 2 dreadnought and misdirect his abrupt decay to his goyf

Rd 3 - Belcher

Gm 1 he goes off turn 1 and first card he flips was the land...lol I was so shocked.

Gm 2 I kept double force and a stifle hand with delver

Rd 4 - Zombies

Gm 1 I thought he was just RB zombies and rolled the turn 2 nought but he was RGB and he decayed it.

Gm 2 I had double delver and misdirected his decay to his shaman

Gm 3 blew up his board with Electrickery and won with delvers

Rd 5 - Goblins

Gm 1 I had turn 2 nought which I vision charmed so he couldn't use stingscourger and then stifled the stun on his next turn

Gm 2 he had all caverns and couldn't play his smash so nought wins again

Rd 6 - RUG

Gm 1 turn 2 nought with double daze, they can't beat nought gm 1

Gm 2 mull to 5 vs his double delver

Gm 3 grim takes out his 2 delvers and get the nought out with double snare to stop grudge

Rd 7 - Nic Fit

Gm 1 had turn 2 nought and he didn't have answer

Gm 2 got him to 1 before sigara killed me

Gm 3 had delver into delver grim into standstill which blew him out

Rd 8 - BUG Delver

Gm 1 I'm at 3 vs his mongoose holding a nought and topdeck the stifle and then top a bolt to win it

Gm 2 lose to 3 decays and mull to 5

Gm 3 grim kills 4 shamans and 3 goyfs and 3 standstill a let me grind it out for the win

Rd 9 - RUG Caleb Durward

Gm 1 searched 4 turns and find stifle and got nought out the turn before I would have died.

Gm 2 I slow rolled the nought and he didn't have any answers to it.

Qtrs - BUG control

Gm 1 he mulled to 5 and I had turn 1 delver into turn 2 nought and blew him out

Gm 2 I kept a greedy 7 with island delver BS and 4 red spells and get punished by not getting red until turn 8

Gm 3 mull to 6 and keep 3 fetch 1 nought 1 misdirection 1 BS...drew 5 str8 land and couldn't misdirect his vision to myself and fall too far behind.

Overall I loved the deck and thought it was great...misdirection was amazing all day and I'm thinking about doing a 3/2 split between it FOW and misdirect...grim was and MVP all day.

I was extremely proud to finish 1st in the Swiss after losing round 1 and fought all the way back with a deck they say can't be played.

I have and always will play with nought and knowing the deck inside and out I'm sure helped along the way

Apr 2012
    Schenectady,NY

I to have and will always have a special place in my heart for Nought.
    Like the Misdirection tech.
    Iv never used Vision Charm,how does that work?

Congratulations on you're finish :)

I played DreadStill too, in the Finnish Legacy Champs. The list was basically the same as posted a page or two a go.

Started the tournament with a nice 4-0 (Beat Goblins, OmniShow, TES and some funky mono white MUD/D&T hybrid, all of them 2-1)

Then hit the wall against EsperBlade (1-1-1), UW MiracleBlade (0-2) and finally White Staxx (1-2). Against that staxx, I lost game one to Chalice on first turn (he went first). Then destroyed him in the second game. We drew our hands for the third game and from his impressions, I figured out he has the turn 1 Chalice. I don't see a single FoW on my way to mulliganing to 3. He starts with a turn one Chalice and I concede.

Good tournament again and I was a bit unlucky to miss the top 8. Against that EsperBlade I could have stole the win with a little better play...maybe. Anyway, nice to see that this deck can still put up results even on the field of Abrupt Decays. After the tournament, I changed my sideboard to this:

3 Dismember
    3 Pyroblast
    3 Spell Pierce
    3 Pithing Needle
    3 Engineered Explosives

(md still the same)

No more grave hate, as I think this deck can fight graveyard deck just fine without. Engineered Explosives just to fight Chalice and maybe some tokens and random things. It has been great in testing at least. Others are pretty much obvious choices. I've also been pondering to replace Spell Pierces with Diverts, but at the moment I don't think it's worth it. Standstills and Factories win the Abrupt Decay decks anyway. :)

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Grats on the finish shugz. I've been tinkering around a bit trying to get a Ubg list to run smoothly. So far it seems pretty powerful.Here's the list I have at the moment.

4 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Island

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Dark Confidant

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    3 Spell Pierce
    4 Stifle
    4 Abrupt Decay
    3 Standstill
    2 Ponder

I'm not sold on the ponders but I'm not sure what else they could be. I think Abrupt Decay is really worth the awkward manabase. Thoughts?
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 12-18-2012 at 04:18 AM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Thread Information