Page 171 of 239 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175181221 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

I'm in semi retirement atm but I'll be coming out for the june SCG in Worcester MA. This is the only deck that I really enjoy playing outside of mono black reanimator/storm.
    But Standstill isn't a card I would even consider taking out. As far as I'm concerned this decks lives and breaths by SS.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    I'm in semi retirement atm but I'll be coming out for the june SCG in Worcester MA. This is the only deck that I really enjoy playing outside of mono black reanimator/storm.
    But Standstill isn't a card I would even consider taking out. As far as I'm concerned this decks lives and breaths by SS.
    Me neither, which means no counterbalance for me at least for the moment. Standstill is actually THE reason that I play this deck. By far taking the most out of it.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I like Lavamancer but I've had success in a UR list that uses zero Lavamancers as well. I really think as long as you have 4 bolts in the place of lavamancer it can still work. Really depends on how you feel. But I don't think you absolutely need Lavamancer at all.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Brisbane Legacy regular
    Jan 2009
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

This is the list that had had success in the biggest (reported) tournament lately:

http://www.tcdecks.net/deck.php?id=12104&iddeck=88701

What are people's thoughts on its current applicability?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

That list is a pretty stock UR list, but I'm not sold on the Misdirections personally.

I'm almost positive that Yan was right regarding CB and Standstill in the same deck, even though it was amazing back in like 2008 lol. So I've scrapped the idea for now, and I'm thinking about BUG colors now. I just love this color combination and it clearly has potential in my opinion. Here's a rough draft I haven't tried out yet-

//LANDS-21
    4 Wasteland
    3 Mishra's Factory
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Island

//CREATURES-12
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Deathrite Shaman
    3 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2 Vendilion Clique

//SPELLS-27
    3 Standstill
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Spell Pierce
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Abrupt Decay

//SIDEBOARD-15
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 Flusterstorm
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Darkblast
    3 Golgari Charm
    2 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Nihil Spellbomb

Basically, it's Team America with no hand disruption but a better CA engine and more permission. The sideboard is obviously a mess since I've put about 2 minutes of thougt into it. Basically the Goyfs come in whenever Dreadnought comes out, and the rest is pretty self explanatory I would think. Maybe Darkblast isn't good enough against multiple matchups and should be changed to Disfigure, but it just hoses Elves and Taxes so hard and I love the card. I've also been a big proponent of Disfigure in the past, saying how underplayed it was, and now that it's played I want to play Darkblast over it?!?

Anyways, Thoughts?
    Q
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post

Anyways, Thoughts?
    Q
    Yeah, I played around with BUG aswell. Have to say 7 colorless lands is frustrating with Abrupt Decay. Didn't work. Playing something with CMC2 besides Standstill felt wrong.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Yeah, I was thinking that would be the case. Maybe shave a Decay, the Trickbind and a Pierce for the 4th Shaman and 2 Ponders? It's also possible to trim a Factory if need be.
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Played Yan's list in small local event (15 persons)
    2-1 Merfolk
    2-0 TES
    1-2 Bug Delver
    0-2 My own Miracles, heh...

Was testing configuration of -1 Trickbind +1 Vision Charm to combat Liliana & Decay, didn't see it in Bug matchup, didn't need it in others. Back to the old I guess, or maybe some more testing with my decay playing friends.

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

I've been trying to come up with an answer to Decay that isn't ridiculously narrow in it's applications(UR list). So far I've got Blood Moon and Spellskite on my mind. I know Blood Moon sounds a little crazy in a deck like this, but when you would board it in, it's basically an extra wincon by itself. Skite is kinda good but I think Blood Moon is just better and has a wider scope. I mean, the amount of decks that just lose to Moon is kinda incredible right now. Deathblade, Patriot, Canadian, Team America, AnT, and probably more I'm forgetting but you get the point. The card is strong and we could possibly utilize it in the stock UR lists.
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Quote Originally Posted by HammafistRoob View Post
    I've been trying to come up with an answer to Decay that isn't ridiculously narrow in it's applications(UR list). So far I've got Blood Moon and Spellskite on my mind. I know Blood Moon sounds a little crazy in a deck like this, but when you would board it in, it's basically an extra wincon by itself. Skite is kinda good but I think Blood Moon is just better and has a wider scope. I mean, the amount of decks that just lose to Moon is kinda incredible right now. Deathblade, Patriot, Canadian, Team America, AnT, and probably more I'm forgetting but you get the point. The card is strong and we could possibly utilize it in the stock UR lists.
    I don't think it's crazy at all, the format is cold to Blood Moon and I was looking at Blood Moon, Red Elemental Blast, Misdirection and Divert as some of the best, under played cards in the format at the moment. If UWR takes a back seat to UBWg in the coming months then I think Magus of the Mooon and the URphidian plan is an option as well.

I think Misdirection and Divert are MDeable cards, all of the Storm decks are playing discard now and all of the other combo decks are playing counter spells. All of the UWBg decks are playing Swords to Plowshares and Thoughtseize, which means you can re-target their True Name Nemesis and generate card advantage and card quality off of their disruption all while protecting your win condition from Abrupt Decay, and don't even get me started on the awesome feeling that is Misdirecting or Diverting a Hymn to Tourach.

Red Elemental Blast is about as close as it has ever been to being a MDeable card in some number since the printing of Delver of Secrets and True Name Nemesis, I kept slipping one into the MD and then brought it up to two and have been quite happy with the weight they've pulled. I think if UXr decks are going to find their way back into the aggro-control spectrum then MD Red Elemental Blast may be the way forward for them.

I don't like Balance/Top in this deck, but Counterspell has been surprisingly good to me as a 2x. I like to run 3 Force of Will, 3 Daze, 2 Misdirection, 2 Counterspell and either 3 Spell Pierce or Spell Snare as a package in aggro-control(ish) decks in the meta game right now and especially like Stifle paired with Spell Snare.

Ideally, I think you want to play something like

3 Force of Will
    2 Misdirection
    3 Daze
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Counterspell
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Trickbind
    4 Stifle
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Grim Lavamancer

And just REB, Divert and Moon them from the board

Jul 2013
    New Haven, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    Ideally, I think you want to play something like

3 Force of Will
    2 Misdirection
    3 Daze
    1 Vendilion Clique
    2 Counterspell
    3 Spell Snare
    1 Trickbind
    4 Stifle
    4 Standstill
    4 Brainstorm
    1 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Grim Lavamancer

And just REB, Divert and Moon them from the board
    I am a huge believer Red is a great color for this deck, however if you aren't going to run Lightning Bolt in the main, its almost not worth the red and would be better off going into Black. That's just my 2 cents there.

With that said, I think you bring about some good recommendations as far as MD choices. I am currently running Yan's list, but I could see a change in it to incorporate some of your changes....thoughts?:

4 Phyrexian Dreadnaught
    4 Delver of Secrets
    3 Grim Lavamancer
    1 Vendilion Clique

4 Stanstill

4 Brainstorm
    1 Misdirection
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Snare
    1 Counterspell
    3 Daze
    4 Stifle
    1 Trickbind
    4 Lightning Bolt

4 Wasteland
    3 Mishras Factory
    3 Volcanic Island
    1 Tropical Island (gets EE to 3 and can flashback Ancient Grudge)
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Misty Rainforest

My current meta is filled with artifacts (MUDPost and affinity), 12post, a copy of BUG Explorer, a copy of storm, elves, show and tell, jund, shardless, and death and taxes. This is the sideboard I am thinking of running:

3 Blood Moon
    2 Engineered Explosives
    2 Sulfur Elemental
    1 Misdirection
    1 Divert
    2 Ancient Grudge
    3 REB/Pyro
    1 Crucible of Worlds

Storm Trooper
    Jun 2012
    Bremen, Germany

I don't quite understand why most of the lists here rely so heavily on Engineered Explosives as a sideboard card. Because we play mostly 1drops aswell. Against what matchups do you bring them in? Is this card mainly for CMC2+3 cards like Tarmogoyf, Library and Liliana of the Veil?

Me and Yan play three EE because in Finland we have this thing called chalice for 1, EE answers that cheaply and well and is good answer to many fair decks threats. We want the board to have cards that have application in many matchups. Considering 1 drops, Delver is 1 only unflipped and when we have Nought on board I feel there is no need to bomb for 1 at least.

Jul 2013
    New Haven, CT

Yeah, chalice on 1 is pretty devastating. EE is also a great way to sweep the board against elves or DnT (if you dont get sulfur elemental out). The european meta has a ton of storm running around too, so EE has applications killing a bunch of token goblins. Its pretty much a really sweet catch all, just play it correctly and it wont affect your board presence.

I was just wondering in which match ups Dreadnought gets boarded out. I'd imagine Blade, Miracles, anything with Decay and maybe Combo, but I'm not too sure about this.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus View Post
    I was just wondering in which match ups Dreadnought gets boarded out. I'd imagine Blade, Miracles, anything with Decay and maybe Combo, but I'm not too sure about this.
    I've never once boarded out all my Dreadnoughts for a matchup. Sometimes it's ok to board out 2 Noughts but I never go below 2 for any given matchup. Against combo like storm you can force them to immediately combo off once you resolve a Dreadnought or they just lose.

I wouldn't board out noughts against most combo decks, it's just too great of a clock that forces them to combo before they are ready to do that. I've had great success with boarding all of them out against decks that have too much and too efficient removal, like miracles or ubg landstill. Other controllish matchups (not all), I mostly board out two, which kind of leads to the situation where I don't really lean on to them so much. It really is only a lategame finisher there, when both players have used their resources already. One exception is painter decks, where i board out all of my Dreadnoughts. They are full of red blasts, so I'm not comfortable trying to resolve Stifle against them. Even if I do, they can just vindicate it if there is a painter around.

If anyone else is still interested in a full boarding guide for approximately 50 different decks with my list and sideboard, just pm me with an email address. :)

Played 25 person local Legacy Tournament today with Yan's Stock list and sideboard. That's the real stuff.

Round 1 UBG Landstill, my friend.
    G1 I won playing insane tempo game, stifling their fetches, wasting their duals and dazing their plays, straight from RUG playbook.
    G2 I lose to Deathrite & Factories, I do not find meaningful interaction.
    G3 He mulls to 4 for lands, I beat him down with Delver, he puts up a fight and removes my first two threats, but Wasteland + some permission are enough. Sucks to him to mull to 4, but he was happy for me since he was bit hungover. He went 3-2 with deck, losing only to Bug Delver that made it into top8, not dropping a single game otherwise.

Round 2 D&T
    G1 I am losing G1 very hard since I don't draw lands except for two basic island and he is porting me twice every turn. He misses to port in one crucial turn and I get to play Dreadnought. After that two strategically placed Trickbinds on Jitte win me the game. 20, 8, 3 (Massive block that turns into chump after Trickbind thwarths Jitte) into scoop.
    G2 Yan's sideboard is pretty nice against D&T, we go back & forth a bit, but I manage to wipe his board with EE on 2 (he had Avenger + Leonin Relic Warderer) and land Sulfur Elemental + Standstill, Warderer conveniently freeing my pithing needle, so I can needle a vial he played and enable my Standstill to be insane.

Round 3 GWB Rock 2-1
    G1 I win beating with my smaller threats, denying his mana and removing his small creatures. He manages to get jitte on table, but not equip it. I put him into situtation where he has to rip a land that does not cost him any life, so he can equip jitte and win from there, but he takes his draw and gets fetch and we are off to G2.
    G2 I cannot answer Knight and racing is not an option this game.
    G3 I answer all his relevant threats, Lavamancer doing huge work in here again. We go to time and I get lethals in extra rounds. He had 4/4 Ooze this game that could have been bad, but he had to remove my guy and I get to Misdirect a decay.

Round 4 Sneaky Show 1-2, sadly a only matchup of day I should have not lost.
    G1 Mull to 5 for both. Delver beats face and I have FOW for his Show & Tell
    G2 I do not find disruption, have nought against his Emrakul, but I am a Stifle or Trickbind short of tricking a Annihilator Trigger and hitting back for lethals. I had 7 permanents but he had 16 life, two of my lands were Factories. Sad day :).
    G3 He blasts my Delver and after a bit standstilling we fight about Show & Tell, he has 5 disruptions against my four.

R5 ID against Dark Maverick

Top8
    Bug Delver 2-1
    G1: Aggresive mana denial into Nought.
    G2: I am ahead, have nought + misdirection, but he has Liliana. Then as I am about to stabilize by killing his Goyf with EE he decays EE, I misdirect into Liliana, of course he has another one of those nice lil Decays.
    G3: Crucible & Waste and Nought. He had Liliana for my first threat but I followed up with Nought, he tries to "stabilize" at 2, by chumping with Shaman and -2:n Liliana again, but I thwart those plans with Trickbind. I was pretty sure the game could have been won with only Crucible + Waste, but he just kept ripping lands to play his things like a champ. :)

Top4 vs Same D&T as earlier
    G1 I was higher in the swiss so I play first, he stops my Delver, says that he wants none of that. I play two noughts in succession, guess he like those guys better, since he scoops it up.
    G2 He has T1 Mother of Runes. I play two factories in game and destroy his colored mana while building my own with basics. Plays mystic and gets jitte, I needle jitte. I land dreadnought that finishes him off, even though he has Batterskull, but 4/4 vs 12/12, you all know the drill.

Finals
    Again a ID against the same Dark Maverick, he was feeling sick and wanted not to play.

Fun day, I was pretty pumped up to play this deck again in a bit bigger tournament and I felt that Yan's sideboard rewarded me today so many times, I got to bring like 5-10 cards in every matchup.

Cheers,
    Jani

Do you think that the new planeswalker from conspiracy could fit in this deck?
    It can fullfil the graveyard for Lavamancer and snapcaters... While refining your draws to nought+stife combo

Project finished :) Took quite some time to translate everything.

I also gave some thought to the new planeswalker, and my opinion is that it doesn't really fit to the existing shell. You'd probably have to again remove the "Still" elements of the deck and again I don't believe it to be worth it at all. Also, the -2 ability of Dack is not even that great against the commonly played artifacts of Leacy. Filtering through the deck might be nice, but drawing 3 is better. Maybe it can earn some testing time as a funky sideboard card.

Thread Information