Page 2 of 239 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Eva Green
    Aug 2007
    tilburg, the netherlands

congratz on both your finishes

i really like this deck and i'm testing it on mws for a while now(mostly against competetive players).

dont know if its just me or is this deck so incedibly counterheavy? on mws my opponents getting crazy many times bacause of all the counters i loss and the brokeness of t2 naught. is it normal to have so many counters in one game?

how would academy ruins do in this deck? i tink i'm gonna test it as a one off.

i really like all the results from this deck and i hope it will be soon in the dtb forum.

another question, how does this deck do against aluren cause there are a plenty of aluren players on most tourney here in the netherlands?
    team HASTE!

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

I haven't had too much trouble with Aluren although I've only tested that matchup only a few times. Pretty much even if you don't have the Force for Aluren you can still Snare a combo piece they could possible have in their hand such as Harpie and they may not see it coming. But yeah you should be fine if Aluren is rampant in your meta.
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Tom MacDonald
    May 2007
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    I haven't had too much trouble with Aluren although I've only tested that matchup only a few times. Pretty much even if you don't have the Force for Aluren you can still Snare a combo piece they could possible have in their hand such as Harpie and they may not see it coming. But yeah you should be fine if Aluren is rampant in your meta.
    Rodney, I've probably done a bit more testing in the matchup then you have. Anyways to add to simply not letting Aluren resolve, Stifling recruiter, etc usually wins you the game.
    Team Hammafist
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral_Arzar View Post
    What kind of fucked-up, drug-laden, alternate universe of faerie rape does this guy live in?

Rob Rogers
    Dec 2007
    Wareham, MA

Quote Originally Posted by electrolyze View Post
    congratz on both your finishes

i really like this deck and i'm testing it on mws for a while now(mostly against competetive players).

1)dont know if its just me or is this deck so incedibly counterheavy? on mws my opponents getting crazy many times bacause of all the counters i loss and the brokeness of t2 naught. is it normal to have so many counters in one game?

2)how would academy ruins do in this deck? i tink i'm gonna test it as a one off.

3)i really like all the results from this deck and i hope it will be soon in the dtb forum.

4)another question, how does this deck do against aluren cause there are a plenty of aluren players on most tourney here in the netherlands?
    1) This deck runs 14-15 counters and is pretty draw/cantrip heavy. You will usually see a decent amount of counters each game.

2) Academy Ruins has been an idea we have had for a while. I personally think that we don't need any more colorless mana but it might work, if you tinker around with it, post the results here.

3) It will be in the DTB Forum soon, don't worry.

4) Aluren I can see as an easy match, we run more counter than they do, without Aluren on the board, their deck turns into a slow aggro deck that will lose very easily to a couple of Mishra's Factories or a Dreadnought. If your meta is filled with Aluren you should win alot of games.
    Last edited by HammafistRoob; 03-25-2008 at 05:48 PM.
    Team Hammafist-We don't take kindly to those who don't take kindly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jander78 View Post
    You still have to appreciate a well timed "fuck yall niggas" though.
    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    WotC should either stop printing such good blue creatures or start printing more Hammerfist Giants
    "Got any trade boogas?"

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Okay the Back to Basics in the board have been confirmed fairly poor of a slot and has been switched for Threads of Disloyalty. So far in testing it's proven to be house against decks packing Goyf (See most of 1.5 format). I'm considering upping it to possible 3.

I would really like to see some SB options against different Tier 1-2 decks (what to board in/out). It would be helpful in the Dreadstill primer.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ceridan View Post
    I would really like to see some SB options against different Tier 1-2 decks (what to board in/out). It would be helpful in the Dreadstill primer.
    No problem has been done.

bring me water!
    Feb 2008

http://www.magic-league.com/mllogger/show.php?id=1558

check out the link for a really tight game vs dragonstompy. it shows dreadstill at its best.

bring me water!
    Feb 2008

http://www.magic-league.com/tourname...372&view=decks

........a mws small tourny i played in i got 2nd stupid stax.....oh well he played good.check it out im neckfire of course.

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

Just noted there was what seemed like a rules mistake:

<Quepi> Ok?
    <neckfire> ok
    Quepi plays Chalice of the Void from Hand
    Chalice of the Void now has 1 (+1) counters.
    (...)
    <neckfire> Wait!
    <neckfire> is the chalice a cc of 2
    <neckfire> or one?
    <Quepi> 1
    <neckfire> ok its good
    Chalice's cost is XX, so X = 1 makes it a 2cc on the stack. Spell snare in hand?

Also, why did you play EE for 1 on the first game? Shouldn't you have played it with 0 counters and destroy Chalices, Moxen and even Akroma in case he was playing it (which he did, as seen on game 3)?
    Keep moon-walking.

On my own buddy list
    Jun 2007
    Bristol RI

Just wondering, When you play on that site do you get prizes or just for fun? Good job on second!

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaiminho View Post
    Just noted there was what seemed like a rules mistake:

Chalice's cost is XX, so X = 1 makes it a 2cc on the stack. Spell snare in hand?

Also, why did you play EE for 1 on the first game? Shouldn't you have played it with 0 counters and destroy Chalices, Moxen and even Akroma in case he was playing it (which he did, as seen on game 3)?
    Yeah I think he meant to play it for 0 and destroy his Chalice he just thought the CC of the card was still 1 in play although it's only it on the stack ;-)

Here's what I never understood about your build of this deck, which is a very solid idea by the way.

But you run 8 ways to get Dreadnought (4 Mages and 4 Dreadnought).

And yet you only run 5 cards that combo with it (4 Stifle, 1 Trickbind).

Why this doesn't make sense to me is, Dreadnought by itself in your hand is a completely dead card.

Where as Stifle and Trickbind are never ever dead. When you can't use them to get a Dreadnought into play, they kill fetchlands, they counter storm, they neuter Seal of Primordium, and at the very worst case scenario, you can pitch them to FoW as your blue card.

So to me, it makes a lot more sense to run 4 Stifle and 4 Trickbind with 4 Trinket Mage and 4 Dreadnought.

But if not that, i would cut Dreadnoughts from the above (as they are dead cards by themselves) before I would start cutting Trickbinds and Stifles, which are never dead.

I have also found myself very underwhelmed by the Countertop engine (tested it in MUC), so I'm instead going to try a build like this...

Lands
    12 Island
    4 Mishra's Factory
    2 Mutavault
    2 Wasteland

Creatures
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Trinket Mage

Spells
    4 Ponder
    4 Standstill
    4 Force of Will
    4 Spell Snare
    4 Stifle
    4 Trickbind
    2 Brainstorm
    2 Daze
    2 Mana Leak
    2 Misdirection
    1 Engineered Explosives
    1 Pithing Needle

The one other major concern I have about your list is that you only run 12 blue lands. Yet, typically, if you want to make sure you draw a source of a certain color in your opening hand, you need to run atleast 14 cards that produce that color mana.

Otherwise, what do you think about this build?

Loves the anus
    Dec 2007
    Rio de Janeiro, RJ - Brasil

You can't jump into conclusions of a control set of cards such as Counter-Top in a deck because you tested it in another and didn't like.

2 Mana Leak and 2 Daze? 4 Ponder and 2 Brainstorm? No fetchlands? I simply don't get it...
    Keep moon-walking.

awesomeness
    Jul 2007
    Germany

The CB+T Engine is extremly strong in Dreadstill, low landcount, CCSpells 1-3 and enough other counter to win games without Counterbalance.

@ Clark Kant:

You can play another Trickbind or 1-2 Vision Charm when you feel comfortable with this, but as a result of weekly testing all this is over the top.
    The Trinketmage is a small toolbox, mostly you serach EE or the missing nought or needle when you need it, but never a second nought.

@ neckfire:

Grats, but happen such mistakes because it's not "real" Magic?

Jamiho, ever since Dragon Stompy made first turn Blood Moon or Magus a not too infrequent play, I greatly dislike the idea of running fetchlands in monocolored decks, even if it means not running 4 Brainstorm.

Okay, forget the CB engine.

But I am curious though if anyone else shares my sentiments that...

It doesn't work quite right to run 8 ways to get Dreadnought (4 Mages and 4 Dreadnought) one combo piece

And yet only run 5 cards for the other combo piece (4 Stifle, 1 Trickbind).

When the that second combo piece is never ever dead. Because when it's not being used to combo off, it kills fetches, counters storm, neuters Seals, or pitches to FoW.

Where as the first combo piece, Dreadnought is completely worthless and unplayable when you have it in your hand without the second combo piece.

This is why I really want to up the Trickbind count (to atleast 2, but preferably to 4), or perhaps lower the Dreadnought count, or perhaps both.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

And if I were to do this, what cards would you say are the most removable from the current list to make room for the additional Trickbinds?

Thank you for any suggestions you have on what I could cut from the list to squeeze in more Trickbind.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Clark I also felt the same way about the 1 Trickbind in the list, I would like to up the count to two simple for the reason it's amazingly good. If you want to take that route might I suggest

-1 Spell Snare
    +1 Trickbind

So, essentially your list would look like this

/ Lands
    2 [MM] Island (3)
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    4 [IA] Island (2)
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    3 [REW] Wasteland
    4 [AQ] Mishra's Factory (3)
    1 [B] Tropical Island

// Creatures
    4 [MI] Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 [5E] Brainstorm
    4 [NE] Daze
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    4 [SC] Stifle
    3 [CS] Counterbalance
    2 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
    1 [10E] Pithing Needle
    4 [OD] Standstill
    3 [DIS] Spell Snare
    2 [TSP] Trickbind
    1 [FD] Engineered Explosives

// Sideboard
    SB: 2 [10E] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [DS] Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 [6E] Chill
    SB: 2 [BOK] Threads of Disloyalty
    SB: 3 [TSP] Krosan Grip

Don't worry too much about Blood Moon, for the most part it. Taking out the fetchies because of that card simple isn't worth it. It really only hurts us if we are on the draw, don't have FoW, and they have first turn Blood Moon. even then we can have a basic Island in hand since we run 6 and be perfectly functionable. For the most part I really haven't had too many issues with that card.

I played in the Virginia Fudruckers tournament over this past weekend. Let me say thanks to Roodmistah for posting up your decklist and match report; it helped me greatly. This is all from memory and I have never written a match report but here goes:

The list I was running

6 Island
    3 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Wasteland
    4 Mishra's Factory
    1 Tropical Island

// Creatures
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Trinket Mage

// Spells
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    3 Counterbalance
    2 Sensei's Divining Top
    1 Pithing Needle
    4 Standstill
    4 Spell Snare
    1 Trickbind
    1 Engineered Explosives

// Sideboard
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 3 Chill
    SB: 2 Threads of Disloyalty
    SB: 3 Krosan Grip
    SB: 1 Engineered Explosives

Around 60 players, 6 Rounds cut to top 8

Round 1: Burn (1-0-0)
    G1: I win the die roll. He drops Cursed Scroll turn 1. I proceed to dropping a counterbalance by turn 2. A few turns later I drop Nought, he scoops after one swing.
    (+3 Chill, +1 Needle, -1 EE, -2 Spell Snare, -1 Trinket Mage)
    G2: I Mull to 6 after throwing away a hand with 2 Chill, top, waste, factory, nought, standstill. I wasn't feeling the gamble. My 6 wasn't better but had blue mana. Eventually he killed me with his scroll.
    G3: I'm on the play, Island go. He burns me once. I drop a turn 2 chill followed by a turn 3 chill. He scoops.

Round 2: UGWB Landstill (2-0-0)
    G1: I think I stifled his land turn 1, dropping an early Nought that we fought over in a counter battle. I won and his tarmo's could not stop him.
    (I'm not sure what I sided in except for 2 threads I didn't see much of his deck)
    G2: I dropped another early Nought with heavy counter backup 2 Forces and daze. We counter battled and I won. He tried to kill it with Gastly Demise killing his own land with his wasteland in the process to fill his yard. By this point I already had top on the table with a Force on top. Demise was countered and Nought went through.

Round 3: Dredge (3-0-0)
    Luck was on my side in this match - that and my opponent was not the most skilled at playing the deck. He made no play mistakes in our games just lost to bad dredging and my good luck.
    G1: He doesn't start dredging until turn 3. He goes for the win with LED and Coloseum - 2 zombies on board. His hand is gone he has 3 blue. He activates coloseum, I stifle it, he attempts to cast Deep A in his yard and I daze it. Nought comes down to seal his fate.
    (+3 Crypts, +2 Truth, +2 Threads, -4 Spell Snare, - 3 counterbalance)
    G2: He has a slow start no BreakT just discard to Imp. I draw a mage and crypt his yard. I have a Factory and Mage. I find another mage after misplaying and casting my Standstill. My thought process was I will just keep attacking with Mage and Factory - He had no action. His imp blocks my mage and discards a dredger to kill both creatures and start to blow up his deck He still has two zombies from earlier. I break my own standstill for a mage. He almost dredges with his draws. He draws 3. I get Crypt and crypt him. I treads his zombie token and start bashing him with it. He tries to cast breakthrough and I counter. He gets an imp in play again and starts dredging for a third time. I bounce my zombie token and his. Cast a third mage to seal his decks fate.

Round 4: Survival (3-1-0)
    I almost ID because the kid is my friend. We decide to play and I get very unfortunate draws. I tested this match yesterday and won 6-0. It's not a bad match up Counterbalance beats the deck.
    G1: I get thoughtseized turn 1 taking my daze. I have nothing against the turn 2 survival. I stay in hoping to get a needle or nought, nothing comes.
    G2: Free Win, my friend presented a 61 card deck.
    G3: My hand is ripped apart by thoughtseize and therapy. I couldn't seem to get countermagic against him at all that day

Round 5: BUGW Intuition Loam (3-2-0)
    This is the worst matchup for the deck. It is possible to get an early nought protected by numerous amounts of counter, but if you wait the game is over. Intuition and Counterbalance beat you.
    G1: We fight over his balance and i win but have to expend more resources. An early standstill proves to be not as good when your opponent has more land in his deck than you. Standstill is broken to a goyf. Now I get the land. I drop a Nought which gets killed by a EE after countering a Deed.
    G2: Not any better, I make some good plays to shuffle away his top when he had balance out but the goyf's backed by EE and Ruins, Volrath's Stronghold and Witness, Krosan Grip, CounterTop prove to be too much. Siding in Crypt might have been a viable solution but only to slow the bleeding.

Round 6: BUGW Thresh (4-2-0)
    I had a chance to make top 8 so I didn't scoop to my opponent.
    G1: I had a huge jump out the gate with a first turn stifle on the draw, turn 2 waste his land. Some dazes and FoW later Nought was on the table protected from Swords with FoW.
    G2: I stifled an early game wasteland. I got another early counterbalance top. The top was gripped, but blind flips went the distance to protect my Nought from Swords

I just missed the top 8 finishing 10th (one 13pt did not make it on tiebreak) Top 10 got prize so I still got a pick of 4 Countryside Crushers.

Top 8:
    Dredge and G/R Loam split (1st, 2nd)
    2 x GUR Thresh
    Enchantress
    Fetchland Tendrils
    BUGW Intuition Loam
    Survival

Some possible changes to the deck. I like the idea of +1 Trickbind -1 Snare. I would play 7 stifle if I could.

The matchup between this and BUGW Intuition Loam needs to be improved. Maybe with a set of Goyfs in the side can combat against it. Or more Islands and Shackles.

Back to the matter of Ruins in the deck. I am going to put one in. It works well against Dredge for crypt and can bring back EE for any problem.

Until the next Legacy event.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Congrats on your finish nditiz1, it really sucks missing top 8 after going 3-0 but Survival is only slightly favored for us they can still rip us apart if we don't draw much to protect ourselves like Brainstorm. I'm beginning to think more and more like adding in the second Trickbind could be pretty good for us. As for the Intuition Loam matchup, I don't really see that at all in my meta so I don't need to prep my board to beat it. A good sideboard to try to hate it out, I almost want to say 4x Goyfs won't be enough but it potentially could be due to the fact he'd have to answer 16 of our Threats (4x Goyf, 4 Nought, 4 Trinket, 4 Factories.)

So SB for you would look like:
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    3 Chill
    4 Tarmogoyf
    2 Echoing Truth
    2 Krosan Grip

Thread Information