Page 227 of 239 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 4766

Thread: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

May 2015
    PDX

Re: [Deck] Dreadstill - Enter the Fist

The combo in UR Dreadstill is counting to 20, whereas UW is more of a prison. UR sets out to out-Delver the Delver decks, while UW deletes Delver from the server with Plows into Verdict. Teferi passive is the single biggest driver of what you’re doing with Dreadnought. If you’re in UR, the PW you count to 20 with is Chandra, ToD and alongside things like TNN at the top end. Red cards are efficient, white cards skew towards absolute. No reason at this time to update the UW Dreadstill list, it has already adapted to the most recent set printings and no format-changing bans [Oko] have taken place. At most I’d change one SB slot, but that would have to outweigh testing Sparkhunter.

The nice thing about stable decks with all old-bordered history (Dreadstill, Standstill, Goblins, and to a lesser degree Elves) is that we have a much higher bar for what qualifies as a change to the format. There is generally little need to go out of our way to react to the specifics of other strategies. Oko hits Standstill and Goblins harder, but even something as pushed as Dreadhorde Arcanist really only affects Goblins detrimentally (possibly Elves too???). As far as Dreadstill goes, the existence of Oko/Wrenn/Veil helped us indirectly, and Dreadhorde/Lurrus/Breach use directly increase our win%.

I wouldn’t touch a third color in Dreadstill without incredible reassurances (like DRS). Playing dual lands at the wrong time is absolutely lethal to any deck with Standstill - this is by far the most reliable way to punt away a win. Even with Vista allowing UW builds to play only 1x Tundra, that single dual is only barely able to win more games than it loses by being in the deck. In non-Dreadnought UW Standstill, you sometimes need REBs to patch the holes [previously plugged by Dreadnought], but it comes at a pretty horrific cost. UB Standstill can splash for white [Teferi, Sevinne’s] as a third color, only b/c of Creeping Tar Pit and cheaper wrath spells.

On direction of UW vs UR:

They’re drastically different approaches to legacy, so it really comes down to what style you like. The skill sets are not really interchangeable, but the way in which they view legacy and appraise cards does translate. The playstyle of the UR version is much more straightforward & quicker to learn & generally more forgiving, so that’s probably the one to start with. It will still take a few hundred hours on the deck to blend comprehensive format knowledge [twisted through the lens of Dreadnought] with appropriate sideboarding, technically precise play spanning turns-long plans, and never losing sight of life point trajectories. If you come in knowing the Stifle subgame [Wasteland vs Fetch vs Daze mastery, shared by Delver decks], you’ve got a great head start; this skill is worth somewhere around 50 hours by itself. If you’re trying to get into legacy financially, UR Dreadstill is a great starting point which will build directly into normal Delver decks and passively impart mastery.

The UW build is incredibly unforgiving and difficult, but so much more powerful and rewarding. The learning curve, and especially the re-learning curve if you’re used to normal legacy, are going to be brutal and long. You really have to love the archetype to want to put the work in on this one. The good news is that you’re going to be within $100-200 of straight-up UW Standstill, which is a far simpler deck to take a break with.

If you want to master Dreadstill and/or Standstill in paper, you really want to strive for 5-10 paper matches per week as speed of assessment and play require honing and upkeep. There’s all the COVID stuff making this impossible right now, but parsing everything the format can throw at you [online is fairly inbred] is the best way to learn.

Hi all, i am new here and just built U/R Dreadstill in paper (relatively) and i have a few questions for the more experienced players here.
    So i usually play Omnisneak and figured the manabase would be similar enough to be able to switch between that and dreadstill, i have 3 volcs from a while ago but for budget reasons i am using 4 flooded strands and 4 polluted deltas instead of scalding tarns because Omnisneak doesn't use a basic mountain they are just misc blue fetches for the islands and volcs.
    I really dont want to pick up scalding tarns right now because they are expensive and will hopefully be reprinted and drop down to a more reasonable price, so would i be too weak to wasteland if i used the same fetches i have and a 3rd volc instead of the mountain? thanks and sorry if it was too much info.

Also i was wondering if this is the best spot to check for the most current agreed upon Dreadstill lists? Every time i do some googling for the deck everything is really outdated or i just end up here. lol

For sideboarding are the Agent of Treachery's there for playing against SnT? The only other thing i can think of is after a long standstill stalemate you might have enough lands in play to cast it but that seems like not correct at all idk?

Forgive me if some of this has been covered in this thread i have been trying to go through it but there is a lot, and again i really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Sep 2019
    SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by MoxHuman View Post
    first post

Welcome to the humble Dreadstill thread! First things first, we (or at least I) like info; the more we know about your question and its context, the better answers we're usually able to provide.

Manabase: while 4x Scalding Tarn + 3-4x Prismatic Vista would be ideal for running UR, you could probably get away with running 8x "U-fetch" and do okay. 3x Volcanic Island is just fine; the basic Mountain appears in lists that have more intense or repeated R requirements (such as running Grim Lavamancer or perhaps Chandra, Torch of Defiance). In your "generic" UR list, the only R spells you're likely to run in your main 60 will be Lightning Bolts in the main, and REB/Pyroblast or Shenigans out of the side.

Current Lists: we do have a Discord, where some of the more experienced pilots (Fox, Rood, among others) will livestream their test lists and do play-by-plays. Fox posts here fairly regularly or when there is some new breakthrough or tech to consider, but very broadly speaking, UR Dreadstill is in a spot where there are not too many slots in flux. The "ideal" cards for the majority are pretty set and is Rood's specialty; it is the UW and UB and even UBw builds that have received the most tweaking as of late, mostly on the Discord.

Agent of Treachery: this was a SB plan that Rood came up with to combat the excessive amounts of SnT he was running into on MTGO. Actual paper meta is quite different from MTGO, and Agent isn't something I would really consider unless you knew for sure to expect a lot of SnT.

Current UR Dreadstill "Shell":
    4x Delver of Secrets
    4x Phyrexian Dreadnought

3-4x Scroll of Fate
    4x Standstill or 3x Standstill/1x Search for Azcanta

4x Brainstorm
    4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Stifle
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will

20x Lands:
    4x Scalding Tarn
    3-4x Vista
    6x Colorless (Wasteland, Mishra's Factory)
    3x Volcanic Island
    3-4x Basic Lands

The above shell is 55 cards. The options you can pick to fill it out will depend on what you expect to face in your meta; the below have all been discussed as options for different reasons. The list is not exhaustive and we'd love to have your input as well.
    - Creatures: True-Name Nemesis, Brazen Borrower, Grim Lavamancer, Stratus Dancer
    - Planeswalkers: JtMS*, Karn, the Great Creator, Chandra ToD, Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer, Narset, Parter of Veils
    - Interaction: Force of Negation, Spell Pierce, Spell Snare

*in the current meta, Big Jace is in a spot where he's not simply an auto-include when you have slots available, especially in UR.

Hope this helps!
    Dreadstill

"Control"(tr.v.): To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over; direct."

May 2015
    PDX

Lacking Tarn is going to cost quite a bit of win%, but Prismatic Vista can cover some of that, but not all. Make sure you are running 4x Vista.

@crispyMelee has the mana base right for classical 3 Volc builds, but Vista changed quite a bit. I think the more ideal build is:
    4x Tarn
    4x Vista
    4x Island
    2x Volc
    1x Mountain
    6x Waste/Factory

The 21 land build is more stable, and better suited to playing Shark'nado (run at 2-3x most often). This is a really important anti-combo to look for in lists where people cut lands to fit in more Sharks, which is self-defeating.

Without Tarn, it's going to be really awkward whether or not you use 8x U-Fetch and 3x Volc, or 4x Vista and a basic Mountain. Both have strengths and weaknesses. 3x Volc is easier to learn, but 4x Vista wins more games (you get to choose your destiny, rather than always deferring to enemy Wasteland).

Echoing the above post, I would stay away from RR cards (Chandra) and Grim Lavamancer without Vista/Mountain. Choosing a no-Tarn mana base can be as simple as whether or not you want to run either of these threats.

The threat numbers are made strange by Shark Typhoon. There's a lot of non-Delver flippers between 21x land, 6x enchant, 2-3x artifacts. I think the most recent threat base we used was 3x Delver, 3x Nought, 2x Lavamancer, 2x TNN, 3x Factory, and iirc we were testing at 3x Shark 2x Scroll. This build requires optimal manabase, and quite a bit of experience [card appraisal].

The simpler build would be 4x Delver, 3x Nought (4th one is a Shark), 2x TNN, 3x Factory, 2x Shark, 2x Scroll. This puts you at 21 land, 13 threats. Rest of deck would be:
    4x FoW
    4x BS
    4x Standstill
    4x Stifle
    4x Daze
    4x Bolt
    2x flex (Snare or FoN)

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

What does red really offer? Bolts and Pyroblasts? I don't know if those are worth the splash right now. I've always liked mono-blue and a card I'd like to try out is Ashiok,Dream Render. Wasteland, Stifle, and Ashiok could really put a lot of pressure on mana-bases. The graveyard hate isn't amazing, but it's also not useless much of the time, especially with Dredge doing so well lately. Dropping Delver means the spell counts can be manipulated better, especially considering this is one of the hardest decks to naturally flip a delver. Factory, Scroll, and Borrower do the heavy lifting for threats. I could easily see putting True Name back into a list like this, especially at 23 lands.

Rough list, if I were to take Dreadstill to a tournament tomorrow:

4x Phyrexian Dreadnought
    2x Brazen Borrower

4x Brainstorm
    4x Stifle
    4x Daze
    4x Force of Will
    2x Force of Negation
    3x Dismember
    4x Standstill
    1x Search for Azcanta
    3x Scroll of Fate
    1x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    1x Narset, Parter of Veils

4x Wasteland
    4x Mishra's Factory
    4x Flooded Strand
    4x Polluted Delta
    7x Island

Sideboard
    2x Surgical Extraction
    2x Spell Pierce
    3x Ashiok, Dream Render
    3x Ratchet Bomb
    2x Pithing Needle
    2x Sower of Temptation
    1x Echoing Truth
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

Any idea that a [non-Vial] mono-color deck could be better than 2c died the day Vista got printed. This is an idea that was already in its death throes when Tarn was printed.

UR Dreadstill is a combo deck where everything counts to 20, which is why it works. The benefit of building this way is that it needs 0-1x Dreadnought hits to win. Every mono-U build needs 2x Dreadnought hits - this is not a winning strategy. Hitting with Dreadnought is not the main point of a successful build (too easy to beat).

Dismember is a bad card, as it not only requires opponents to play targets, it also is highly likely to fail at killing Goyf. Both Narset and JTMS auto-lose to Oko; there is no reason to even consider playing either of them un7less you're hiding behind Astro/Oko/Uro/Ice-Fang (which means you don't have room to be Dreadnought).

The list of playable PWs you can play against Oko (when you don't have Oko) remains: Karn, either Ugin, Nissa of the 5/5s, uncounterable Chandra, 5cmc Teferi.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

I haven't picked up a legacy deck since March. Thinking about sleeving up the new U/R sharknought to do some paper play testing. Are there any recorded matches still online? Any hot SB tech?

May 2015
    PDX

Pg.225 for some SB ideas @Fallen_Empire. Ashiok should be heavily considered as 1-2x.

Hey all,

How is U/R Dreadstill faring meta-wise currently?

I remember seeing a bunch of results a while back in the 5-0 and legacy challenge threads on the mtglegacy subreddit, but nothing of late, though I guess it might just be not many playing the deck.

I'm interested in playing the simplified build /w Shark that Fox posted below, however I don't have any Volcs or Tarns.

I was planning on splashing out and buying my first dual land (can get away with just the one for now?) and I could pick up the Tarns as well, however I already have the UB + UW fetches, so dithering on whether to go for an Underground Sea instead and build ninjas which has been putting up results lately. Dreadnought is what I'd like to play but it's quite the investment if it's struggling a lot.

May 2015
    PDX

The most important thing is having 8x perfect Fetches, so for UR it’s Tarns and Vista. The inability to Fetch basic Mountain is the #1 source of completely avoidable losses. This is more important than the Volc, since you can get by on 4x Tarn/4x Vista/5x Island/1x Steam Vents/1x Mountain/3x Waste/3x Factory. Upgrading the Vents to a Volc is definitely an improvement, but you’re still not allowed to play RR spells - this addition only comes with Volc #2 (-1 basic Island).

Any build without 2x Volc will be suboptimal...but as long as you’re not using wrong Fetches (Misty/Delta/Strand), your list won’t be crippled. The suboptimal maindeck with Steam Vents comes in at ~$1,125 and I don’t think there is anything particularly close to competing with this against the format in that price neighborhood. Even if you found a deck with comparable price and winrate, it is highly unlikely that such a deck can build rather directly into tier decks (either UR Delver* or SnT in the case of UR Dreadstill) with minimal financial waste.

*UR Delver is a joke budget deck when DRS is legal, and legacy has been hijacked by cards like Wrenn, Breach, Lurrus, Uro, Dreadhorde, Klothys, etc in DRS’ absence. On some level every legacy player understands that DRS needs to come back, and when that happens UR Delver will be re-exposed as the joke it always has been. The deck has a highly conditional tier status.

Dreadstill is the best financial approach for getting into the Volc family from scratch, but there are only 3 ways to play the UR family seriously (Dreadstill, UR Delver, and SnT) - make sure you enjoy playing at least one of these styles (and beware of what DRS unban means to UR Delver). Breaking out of this family and into a 3rd color will cost somewhere in the $1-1.5k range just for the mana to do so.

In terms of the meta position, there are very few people who play the deck online. Fewer still are the people that know how to build and play the deck. Just note that a lot of those 5-0s have self-defeating mana bases, not enough cards to support Delver flipping, going below 21 lands while going up on Shark’nado, and sometimes even Ponder...but they still got a 5-0. There’s a lot of things making it a great meta for Dreadstill.

For the UR version in particular, every real Delver deck forgot how to build their deck: 8x 1cmc threats, 4x 2cmc, 4x flex threats [TNN, Gurmag, Brazen, a PW]. Dreadstill maintains 8x 1cmc threats when we count Factory. Right now we’re in a time where pseudo-Delver [Dreadstill, also Shadow and Infect] structurally out-Delver the real Delver decks. We become the better Daze deck, and [for those with basics] the better Wasteland deck. These effects are multiplied Stifle (which isn’t why we play the card, it’s just a bonus backup mode). The real Delver decks are getting so slow and topheavy that we don’t even get called on dropping a Wasteland for better fixing, and that mana security unlocks the late game tools Scroll and Shark’nado vs not-Delver decks. UR Dreadstill ofc has its bad matchups, and it’s worse than UW Dreadstill at the novel prison game, but it’s a particularly nasty wakeup call to those who think hiding behind Uro/Oko lifegain matters in this format.

Howdy, folks. I've been perusing this thread for a bit, and I've been playing with the UW list a few pages back for a few days now. I guess I'm finally starting to feel like the deck makes a bit more intuitive sense now that I've played with it for a few days, although I've never played with a wishboard before, so that aspect at the very least has been quite confusing for me. Is there anyone here who has a link to some posts on the UW variation? I've skipped around a bit, and most of the discussion I see is on the UR lists. Also, I've heard there's a discord, and I'd like to get an invite to that if it's an open one.

May 2015
    PDX

For discord add GrossNuggligence#5645 and I will send invite. On the UW version, there’s not a huge amount of discussion since I’m the sole designer and for a long time the only player. Look up the release date of Scroll of Fate and backtrack a week or so (to when it was spoiled) is going to be the highest density of posts.

The timeline of UW Dreadstill discussion begins in the Czech Pile era (Tocatli Honor Guard spoiler), stops with the spoiler of Teferi 5cmc (discussion moves to UWx Landstill, no Noughts), and UW Dreadstill resumes within 5 minutes of seeing Scroll of Fate spoiler.

If you have any specific questions it’s fine to post them here. As far as I know there are only 3-5 serious players of the UW variant to date; between that and covid killing paper magic since ~march, there hasn’t been much time for people to identify this as a deck they want to sleeve up and discuss.

I asked myself if this deck was better with uro and oko and this is what I came up with:
    https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dread-snowko/
    Went 3-2 online in a league (donation to a better player to steam it) and I think the standstill parts were there worst parts of the deck. I think there's an uro/dreadnought/stifle deck out there and I don't know if dreadstill is it

May 2015
    PDX

The core of Dreadnought and Uro is Lotus Field which allows comboing Stifle in all directions, not to mention dumping honest Field off Uro trigger to ramp escape fodder. The payoff is Nissa of the 5/5s, with an intentional ramp plan under it and access to a hexproof Oko-killin land.

Once you start adding Oko and Astrolabe you've run out of space to be an effective Standstill, Dreadnought, and Dreadstill deck - cease and desist, and sleeve up 4c SnowKo; you're doing the same thing with worse tools.

On Oko in Dreadnought decks, it doesn’t offer anything unless it stays on board long enough to 1-card combo (2 activations per cycle). You don’t have the slots to deal with the 3/3s you’d give opponents (and these are bigger than 2/2s like Factory and manifests)....so all you really gain is a way to knock out a Chalice, which was already solved in a better way by Scroll.

To scrutinize the list you posted, first it has Flooded Strand and shame island (Sanctuary) without anything meaningful to recur. It has no 1-mana removal and no 1-drops or manlands to get under it’s own Standstill...and to compound all these issues of starting too slow, it’s Daze’ing land drops back to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The core of Dreadnought and Uro is Lotus Field which allows comboing Stifle in all directions, not to mention dumping honest Field off Uro trigger to ramp escape fodder. The payoff is Nissa of the 5/5s, with an intentional ramp plan under it and access to a hexproof Oko-killin land.
    Is this an actual deck somewhere?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Is this an actual deck somewhere?
    Look back in this thread to time between Uro spoiler and Uro release date and you'll find the ideas behind it, and the problems that plague it. The list is a rough draft of what the deck would look like without Standstill. The list could be re-arranged into a much more unstable [loses to Goyf] configuration by stacking the 1-drop box with Delver and/or Crop Rot Magus/Hexdrinker trying to use Standstill and Daze.

May 2015
    PDX

Zendikar Rising review:
    Lots of tools for budget manabases, especially for UR. Okay'ish support for not-Standstill CA (See the Truth and Confidant). Don't care about 3rd iteration of black enchant killer. Option-lands are ofc fine to test with Standstill. Check your decks for party status applications; 2 of 4 is pretty easy to get currently [Delver, TNN].

generic
    -Thieving Skydiver: Interesting effects on this card, but SFM is at an all time low. If this is an effect you're looking for, you can also consider Magus of the Unseen. There are plenty of things to steal in legacy right now [Astrolabe] and this card forces Delver to discard a card or trade in combat. Reasonable price for 1-2x experimentation under $5 each, but hard to say where such a card would settle when a card like Stratus Dancer dropped all the way down to ~50 cents. Pretty much the only interesting card in this section.
    -Glasspool Mimic//Glasspool Shore: this seems like too much work to clone a Factory, but you could do it. Current price $2, worth around less than $1.
    -Sea Gate Stormcaller: more of a UW card than UR, as Snapcaster's flash is more important with a card like Pyroblast. In UW there is less Daze'ing happening and it's not all that hard to get to the kicker mode, particularly with addition of Sevinne's necro'ing Fetches. Current price showing up at $12-15 for a card that is barely justifiable; maybe pick them up when their price drops around $3.
    -Forsaken Monument & Lithoform Engine: Karn targets that would see competition for SB flex slots from effects like an Isochron Scepter. Monument bumps up manifests to 4/4s. More silly than playable, both are wildly overpriced. Monument ($10) is worth maybe $1 and Lithoform Engine ($20) type cards are known to settle at under $5.

-Magmatic Channeler: plays nicely with Goblin Welder, Reanimator, and See the Truth. Pretty decent price at $3.
    -Roiling Vortex: SB option that does things; most useful vs Omniscience. Wouldn't spend much more than $1 on a copy.
    -Concerted Defense: just note that UR plays wizards and rogues, so this is the closest UR has been to a Stubborn Denial option.

-Felidar Retreat: not currently playable; would need to see a playable way to wish this Field of the Dead effect out of the SB. Even at $1.50 it's wildly overpriced.

-Bloodchief's Thirst: alternative to Innocent Blood; quite playable despite sorc speed. Sitting around 35 cents, so pretty easy to get a playset.
    -Inscription of Ruin: mana cost is pretty high, even without kicker, but this perhaps could operate like a color-warped Sevinne's Reclamation. I doubt you'd want to run more than 1-of, but this has interesting side modes when you're not using it to recur a Nought from GY (meaning you're probably running Karn and a SB Torpor). Getting 2x for $1 apiece is quite reasonable.
    -Nullpriest of Oblivion: good at buying time vs Delver/Goyf, reasonable vs slow strategies like 4c SnowOko with the kicker. Currently priced at $2, so maybe get a playset if they drop down to $1. If you're going to turn Standstill into Confidant, this is a reasonable card to tinker with.
    -Skyclave Shade: clear synergy with Standstill, but it can't block or gain life. Closer to playable than cards with keyword eternalize.

Budget:
    -UR and UB duals: reasonable alternatives to Fiery Islet and River of Tears in budget builds. While more funny than good, it would be entertaining to be a blue deck with Boil in your SB. Price around $5 is reasonable.
    -Valakut Awakening//Valakut Stoneforge: extra red source for budget build, reasonable spell effect when a Standstill is cracked (protection from death by land-cestral). Dislike the $4 price tag, feels like a $1 card you can play 1-2x at most.
    -Spikefield Hazard//Spikefield Cave: instant, exiles Uro into his sac trigger, gets budget mana access to a little more red.
    -Cleansing Wildfire: cantripping mana fixing for budget red mana base, backup mode GQ your opponent.
    -can't bring myself to care about Fling, even if it has a land option.

Spec??:
    -Spoils of Adventure: Feels like draw 3, gain 3 instant is going to have higher demand than $0.35 in standard. Reasonable card to spec on as it's rather Expansion//Explosion'y ($2.50).

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    -Skyclave Shade: clear synergy with Standstill,
    The ability is "landfall - you can cast this from your graveyard" so it's not synergistic with standstill unlike the other versions of this effect (bloodghast or nether spirit etc that just put the creature onto the battlefield without casting it)

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    The ability is "landfall - you can cast this from your graveyard" so it's not synergistic with standstill unlike the other versions of this effect (bloodghast or nether spirit etc that just put the creature onto the battlefield without casting it)
    It’s a fine card to discard to hand size without losing CA from a draw 3. The hardcast modes are better, including access to counters which make for 5/5 elks and it can reach Gurmag-killing size on it’s own. It doesn’t come back without being cast, but this card won’t stop being a credible problem until it’s exiled, and excess mana can be funneled into it. The no blocking bit is the part that tanks the playability, but still a better card than those with eternalize. The creatures you’re listing have too much black in the cost, and too little effect later in a game. While their triggered nature does work with Standstill, we’re looking for a yard-recursive effect as close to Uro as possible in UB.

May 2015
    PDX

Commander Legends stuff, not too exciting.
    Opposition Agent $19 seems a bit egregious; not really interested in experimenting with this card till it costs $5 per copy. About the only thing that makes this interesting is that Scroll of Fate costs so you've got some decent stuff to power out with Dark Rit. Not super amazing, but it's fine. You get to be UB, and that means you'll have access to Drown in the Loch.

mildly interesting:
    Alena, Kessig Trapper beyond unplayable but ability ticks the box of turning Dreadnought into quad-Rit.
    Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh I mean, it's free....Too bad it's not an Assembly Worker. Card doesn't need much help to push it to unreasonable.

So uh, ya, that's kinda it. Hullbreacher is real bad, save your money.
    Last edited by Jander78; 12-12-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Thread Information